Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• @R_2 said:

@u0421793 said:

@R_2 said:
    It would be a very Gadget-y thing to do...
    For it not to cannibalize on NTS-1 sales they’d probably lower the amount of OSCs from 1 to 0,5 :D

What city name would it have to be, though?

Wuhan

Ooof. 10 bitter points :)

• R_2R_2
    edited August 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@R_2 said:

@u0421793 said:

@R_2 said:
    For it not to cannibalize on NTS-1 sales they’d probably lower the amount of OSCs from 1 to 0,5 :D

Wuhan

Version 4.6.0
    • Added “Wuhan” gadget, sound like the ones who started it all!*
    • Other improvements and bat-fixes.

*In-App purchase content.

updated image:

• @R_2 said:

@wim said:
    @Max_Free - I think you're taking "user oscillators" beyond what was meant. For instance, Caustic has had the ability to draw in oscillators since the beginning of iOS music. Kamata has that ability too. Vancouver can make an oscillator out of any portion of any waveform. Adding something like Vancouver's capability to Wolfsburg is all that was meant, I think.

I think @Samu meant loading in user oscillators/FX into a NTS-1 based app/gadget. I doubt this will happen, many people will no longer feel the urge to buy a NTS-1 when they can have a cheaper one on their iPhone (especially if it would be 4 voices).
    The ability to load user samples into Wolfsburg was a different request.

@Gaia.Tree said:
    I’m over here waiting for master tune in gadget... I’ll pay korg $200 right now for that shit

I’m over here waiting for code optimization (cpu/battery) in gadget... I’ll pay korg $200 right now for that shit B)

I was over here waiting for a proper EQ, audio editing features, and a REC input for Vancouver, like 3.5 years ago... but 1000 days since I’ve moved on.

• edited August 2020

@R_2 said:

Yepp!

And It would be totally awesome to use multiple instances of it...
    I mean even though the Minilogue XD has four notes of polyphony it can not play 4 different monophonic voices at once!

Earlier today I had a blast with the CHIPS2.0 oscillator which is quickly shaping up to be one of my favorites!
    (Both the pulse and saw waveform of CHIPS2.0 have more 'bite' than the NTS-1 Square and Saw which sound mushy when pitched down).

Yeah, I just love this user oscillator SO, SO much it's a real blast from the past!

• Guys, im stuck to Gadget because i like the workflow. I export to Auria Pro for final mastering but always go back to gadget to work out the entire timeline in terms of breaks, fills etc. The only thing I am missing is some extra synths. I am considering the well known sunrizer with many presets or the sugar bytes factory. I bought the korg ims 20 but the presets are very few and patching is not my expertice. What synth do you recommend inside of gadget? Or should i consider factory or sunrizer as au in AP? I do need lots of presets to move on from those.
    Thanks!

• The iMono/Poly is one of the most versatile Gadgets when it comes to synthesis.
    My Gadget installation is 'Complete' apart from a few Module IAPs...

• Will check, samu! Thanks for reaching out. Just out of curiosity: where do you finalize you tracks daw wise?

• @Bob ODDYSEi and iMonoPoly for analog. iM1 and iWavestation for digital/rompler. Electribe Wave for wavetable. All have IAPs with extra presets.

• @Bob said:
    Will check, samu! Thanks for reaching out. Just out of curiosity: where do you finalize you tracks daw wise?

IOS? AURIA with FF plugins.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Awesome advice everyone, thanks for that. I’m a guitarplayer in heart but started producing edm back in the days mostly with cool edit pro and acid pro. The massive range of options today on ios makes it hard to achieve more with less. I am totaly confident korg gadget for example is capable of producing a track, start to finish and ready for an easy daw export for final mastering. The bussing, aux and fabfilters + many more options in auria pro are meant to be used as the very last process without getting lost. I tend to exploit those options to the limit. That is my personal challenge. Because honestly: with so many beautiful apps at our disposal, there may never come an end to finish a track. I am still holding back on AUM (sorry), because as a guitarplayer I know how easy and fun it is to get lost in connecting “ideas” and jam. It is truly joyful, dont get me wrong, because I will explore the AUM world soon, but my intention is to make a song and play it exactly as it was created. Sequence, record, export the stems and enjoy the visual timeline to get the never ending story set in a DAW. Korg Gadget is a very capable asset in this process, unless you dont realy know where the song will evolve into.
    I will check tour suggestions! Thanks

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@Bob said:
    Awesome advice everyone, thanks for that. I’m a guitarplayer in heart but started producing edm back in the days mostly with cool edit pro and acid pro. The massive range of options today on ios makes it hard to achieve more with less. I am totaly confident korg gadget for example is capable of producing a track, start to finish and ready for an easy daw export for final mastering. The bussing, aux and fabfilters + many more options in auria pro are meant to be used as the very last process without getting lost. I tend to exploit those options to the limit. That is my personal challenge. Because honestly: with so many beautiful apps at our disposal, there may never come an end to finish a track. I am still holding back on AUM (sorry), because as a guitarplayer I know how easy and fun it is to get lost in connecting “ideas” and jam. It is truly joyful, dont get me wrong, because I will explore the AUM world soon, but my intention is to make a song and play it exactly as it was created. Sequence, record, export the stems and enjoy the visual timeline to get the never ending story set in a DAW. Korg Gadget is a very capable asset in this process, unless you dont realy know where the song will evolve into.
    I will check tour suggestions! Thanks

Gadget disappoints me as a guitar player because the internal amp sims are the only option. Not that they're bad or anything, but I hate not being able to use my other favorites without resorting to tracking separately and importing to Gadget. If they would just let you record audio input from Audiobus or AUM rather than direct audio input only then I'd be happy enough.

• Yes agree, adding guitar to your track is something id rather do in Auria Pro. Gadget does not fit to get that job done. Zurich is not what we need for that.

• @Bob said:
    Yes agree, adding guitar to your track is something id rather do in Auria Pro. Gadget does not fit to get that job done. Zurich is not what we need for that.

I think he meant the built in amp sims

• @R_2 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@R_2 said:

@u0421793 said:

@R_2 said:

Wuhan

Version 4.6.0
    • Added “Wuhan” gadget, sound like the ones who started it all!*
    • Other improvements and bat-fixes.

*In-App purchase content.

updated image:

😂

• @wim, @Samu, @Bob
    +1 for iMono/Poly as the closest to Sunrizer (but there's no preset pack that covers all Sunrizer sounds, you'll have to get familiar with it and dial up your own).

Does your amp sim still exist as an IAA?
    My favorite workflow for sampling into Gadget is to record in AudioShare through an IAA effect (tap on the "+" next to the microphone icon in the recording dialog to load one), edit and import into Gadget.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@rs2000 said:
    @wim, @Samu, @Bob
    +1 for iMono/Poly as the closest to Sunrizer (but there's no preset pack that covers all Sunrizer sounds, you'll have to get familiar with it and dial up your own).

My favorite workflow for sampling into Gadget is to record in AudioShare through an IAA effect (tap on the "+" next to the microphone icon in the recording dialog to load one), edit and import into Gadget.

My favorite amp sims are AUs. Recording them to audio then importing isn’t difficult, just annoying and inflexible. If Gadget enabled more than only recording through an audio interface it’d be fine. It’s just lame that it doesn’t, that’s all.

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:
    @wim, @Samu, @Bob

My favorite amp sims are AUs. Recording them to audio then importing isn’t difficult, just annoying and inflexible. If Gadget enabled more than only recording through an audio interface it’d be fine. It’s just lame that it doesn’t, that’s all.

Agreed, it would even be usefull to use the internal tracks as sources for the audio gadgets for re-sampling purposes or just as effects processors since not all the effects are available as IFX on the regular tracks for some odd reason (ie. No chorus for the Dublin Gadget as an example).

If Gadget could be used as an output in AudioBus and the audio Gadgets could get Audio that way it could help.

This is nothing new and the now closed Korg Forum was bombarded with these kind of request but I guess it doesn’t fit the corporate strategy for Gadget. I know the devlopers can do it...
    (They already do track to track audio routing with the side-chain IFX)

Still a Polyphonic NTS-1 app with AUv3 and ’Gadget’ would keep me busy for a while :)

Cheers!

• @ehehehe said:
    IMHO life is too short to be spent on waiting/wishing/crying for software updates. If you can’t work around present limitations, move on to different tools, you may learn things or get a creative boost from switching up your setup.

This should be a stickie on this forum! Wise words. 👍

• @Samu : "corporate strategy" in this case might be "don't lose money". People speak disparagingly of any decision they don't like as "corporate" or some such --knowing literally nothing about the practicality of thatvdecision or the trade offs.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

I see no reason to construe that simple remark as “disparaging” any more than you should someone saying “I guess he doesn’t like broccoli”.

• I judge staying power very highly in music business these days.

Rock on, Korg! 🤟

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Samu : "corporate strategy" in this case might be "don't lose money". People speak disparagingly of any decision they don't like as "corporate" or some such --knowing literally nothing about the practicality of thatvdecision or the trade offs.

Yepp, and that is why I chose those words because for example if the software becomes too powerful who will buy the hardware and how many will buy the new 'IAP Gadgets' if they are also allowed to use third party plug-ins?

Hardware feeds the software development or is it vice versa, we don't know.
    If there's even on cent going towards things like the NTS-1 I'm happy to have spent it on Gadget!

When it comes to Gadgets work-flow etc. this might be 'what they want' and see it as 'the way it should be'?

Without knowing the background philosophy behind Gadget it makes me wonder...
    ...I mean the desktop version got plug-in support from day one so I do feel that the architecture is already in place even for iOS considering the framework (Juce) that is being used for developing the app...

The Electribe Wave AUv3/Gadget dropped out of the blue when it was released...

All I know is that some developer save features for future releases and also take the opportunity to re-shape it based on customer feedback to keep the interest going and if needed charge IAP for those features if/when needed...

Some developers are a bit more hard-headed than others when it comes to customer feedback...
    ...especially if it 'clashes' with their vision for the product.

I love Gadget for what it is and like with other things the wish to make it grow in ones preferred direction grows with it...

Cheers!

• @gusgranite said:
    I judge staying power very highly in music business these days.

Rock on, Korg! 🤟

+1

They'll be around for years to come. I'm pretty sure of that!

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Samu : "corporate strategy" in this case might be "don't lose money". People speak disparagingly of any decision they don't like as "corporate" or some such --knowing literally nothing about the practicality of thatvdecision or the trade offs.

You don’t have to be on the inside to deduce how Korg operates its software/KG project.

Clearly, the DEVs have the technical ability to Gadgetize HW. The problem is that the dept head and other managers do not have the vision to take the project where it needs to go. They’re simply out of touch with reality of what other iOS daws have accomplished and one cannot compete in that world if you (a) remain out of touch, or (b) ignore your community of users.

Korg thought they could use its name and history to get in the game and simply Gadgetize all its HW and has dedicated very little of its resources towards improving the production, mixing, and usability aspects of Gadget.

You cannot be taken seriously if you do not have a proper visual EQ, Sampler INPUT, or audio editing tools to say the least. Common FX across the board as SAMU mentioned is something so easy to implement.

I said 5 years ago they could easily involve producers from different genres to create new drum kits for BILBAO, and sell the kits the way iM2 still does... emailed them, posted on their forum, over and over... no response. Sometimes ya need to copy what the leaders do... but Korg refuses to drop its ego and get down on the street level with users to listen, collab, etc and expand its product.

I’m telling all you doubters, it’s safe to say that corporate dinosaurs (even at a smaller company like Korg) often become complacent, and since they don’t thrive on Gadget and it’s not their bread and butter they don’t prioritize it. They thought they could operate successfully from within their corporate bubble and it just doesn’t work that way nowadays.

Look at the response you get from LARS, RIM... constantly engaging... XAVIER of Xils-labs.... top notch DEV, takes time to listen and respond...

KORG... MIA. Get it?

• edited August 2020

@caspergomez said:

KORG... MIA. Get it?

Ableton is equally MIA regarding Link and issues around it so...
    ...work may be done behind the scenes and not everything revolves around the AB forum ;)

KLVGR is another dev with good track-record and they don't spend too much time here either...
    ...don't even know if Fab Filter people hang around here either so yeah.

And I get it, if a developer faces a 'sh*t storm' coming here they might refrain from doing so and stay away from replying for self-preservation/protection.

Some developers as are here from time to time 'scanning the situation' without making any posts, that much I know...

Cheers!

• @caspergomez : what you think Gadget should have is certainly up to you. Given the large number of people that find it worthwhile (yet, like every single DAW and sequencer on iOS, imperfect) , it isn’t reasonable to assert as you constantly do that it is worthless.

There is no question that Gadget is not a high priority for Korg. So what? It still has a lot to offer many people — even if it doesn’t for you.

• I think we should also consider the profitability of these apps vs the dev cost. They may need to do dev in stints as it's the only way to not report losses on the apps? I believe it's still built on the JUCE framework which would require C++ devs with mobile experience who are charging a pretty penny for their time, as they should.

This is total speculation but when I think of it this way, I can more understand the lack of non-stability updates.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @caspergomez : what you think Gadget should have is certainly up to you. Given the large number of people that find it worthwhile (yet, like every single DAW and sequencer on iOS, imperfect) , it isn’t reasonable to assert as you constantly do that it is worthless.

There is no question that Gadget is not a high priority for Korg. So what? It still has a lot to offer many people — even if it doesn’t for you.

It’s not about me. It’s about losing users left and right. I’ve talked to enough industry friends over the years who have also abandoned it and who were once pulling for Gadget. It’s about the overall idea that they’re not even doing stuff behind the scenes (as SAMU makes the point about no forum presence). I’ve listened to the community and most people became bored once they realized every update was devoid of the features and tools they’ve desired for years. Tired of “more synths”. Synths these days are dime a dozen. Just sayin.

• Also, the fact they rolled out Gadget on MacOS including AUDIO with ZERO editing gives you a clear glimpse into the mindset of the dinosaurs who are calling the shots.