Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• @caspergomez said:
    Also, the fact they rolled out Gadget on MacOS including AUDIO with ZERO editing gives you a clear glimpse into the mindset of the dinosaurs who are calling the shots.

Or it tells you who their market is. They clearly are not targeting you. That doesn’t necessarily make them idiots. You (or any of us here—including me) literally know nothing of what the development costs are or the revenue earned or what the return on investment is for putting money into developing the features you crave versus putting those resources elsewhere.

Maybe they are dinosaurs or maybe they just aren’t targeting you. But you keep acting as if everyone has your wants/desires and that is clearly not the case. Totally fair for you to be unhappy with how it meets your need — which is totally different from whether the decisions made are stupid. Other companies make other decisions and have different priorities.

Are they losing some customers as people switch to other apps. It could well be...but that doesn’t mean investing money to get those users back would be well spent.

It is possible that Gadget is simply in maintenance mode. It still serves the needs of many and that might be fine. For how use it, sinking money into the sequencer would be a waste of their money. I only use the sequencer as a sketch pad. Many like the sequencer and don’t need muc more. And for many, it just isn’t the right app.

• I thank the 'Korg Dinosaurs' for approving the SDK for creating user-oscillators and the NTS-1 :)

And nope, it will not make me buy a Prologue or Minilogue XD but I'm quite sure the technology will evolve...
    ...maybe a multi timbral Volca NTS. It's a bummer that XD and Prologues are not fully multi-timbral to exploit the user-oscillators and effects.

Cheers!

• If I was to make a guess, I would say the pool of potential buyers who don't require the features @caspergomez deems as essential, and just want something like Gadget is now, is vastly greater than the "industry" types mentioned. They seem more like people with firm ideas where their target market is than out of touch "Dinosaurs". People out to make $$ more than people looking to rub elbows with the Pros.

I'm guessing not a lot of Pros are gonna ditch their desktop systems for Nintendo Switch. But I bet an order of magnitude greater number of customers who don't even know what a "real" DAW should be have picked up the Switch and iOS product.

Korg doesn't lose revenue because anyone "drops" the product. They made their profit off of those people already. Targeting development investment at features that reach the biggest pool of new customers is how to make money, and I have to think that pool wouldn't even know what "visual EQ, Sampler INPUT, or audio editing tools" are much less not take Gadget seriously because they're not there.

There's a lot I would like to see in Gadget, but I don't for a minute think Gadget needs what I want in order to be successful.

I see a money-making machine. I see savvy businessmen, not Dinosaurs. There's nothing wrong from a business perspective with reducing development expense once a product has reached the point that it generates a steady revenue stream. There is a law of diminishing returns, and business success lies in knowing how to gauge that. No matter how vocal Gadget's critics are, I have to think they're a drop in the bucket of that revenue pool.

Of course, that's all no more informed than any of the other opinions being thrown out here. I don't know why I wasted my time writing it. It changes nothing. :D

• Korg came out of hibernation hard. Yesterday the iNTS-1 with ½ OSC, today a Volca gadget :o

Version 4.6.1
    • Added “Stanford” gadget, 6 operator FM synth based on our Volca FM*
    • Import Sysex soundbanks into “Stanford” through Files App.
    • Other improvements and butt-fuxes.

*In-App purchase content, AUv3 not supported.

• @R_2 said:
    Korg came out of hibernation hard. Yesterday the iNTS-1 with ½ OSC, today a Volca gadget :o

Version 4.6.1
    • Added “Stanford” gadget, 6 operator FM synth based on our Volca FM*
    • Import Sysex soundbanks into “Stanford” through Files App.
    • Other improvements and butt-fuxes.

*In-App purchase content, AUv3 not supported.

lmao... I ALMOST ran into the other room to grab my iPad.... and then I was like wait a sec.... "Butt-fuxes"??

Pretty good mockups lol.

• @R_2 : post of the day award! :D

• I fucking love this forum.

• Sheesh u almost got me lol

• edited August 2020

@wim said:
    If I was to make a guess, I would say the pool of potential buyers who don't require the features @caspergomez deems as essential, and just want something like Gadget is now, is vastly greater than the "industry" types mentioned. They seem more like people with firm ideas where their target market is than out of touch "Dinosaurs". People out to make $$ more than people looking to rub elbows with the Pros.

Could be. We’ll never know. Then, what’s the point of releasing KG on MAC for $3-400 if it’s casual users? That sounds like a semi-pro or pro market to me... or at least attempting to compete with the pro SW - Cubase and Logic.

I'm guessing not a lot of Pros are gonna ditch their desktop systems for Nintendo Switch. But I bet an order of magnitude greater number of customers who don't even know what a "real" DAW should be have picked up the Switch and iOS product.

But describe this user then... who represents this majority you speak of that they’re targeting? Peeps with disposable income spending $40 on KG and then $10-20 on several subsequent Gadget synth releases? Can you elaborate? Bc everywhere I turn I see kids trying to get shit for free... so must be an older crowd buying gadget... are they musicians? Hobbyists?

Korg doesn't lose revenue because anyone "drops" the product. They made their profit off of those people already. Targeting development investment at features that reach the biggest pool of new customers is how to make money, and I have to think that pool wouldn't even know what "visual EQ, Sampler INPUT, or audio editing tools" are much less not take Gadget seriously because they're not there.

So that’s a great business model: Casper bought nearly every single gadget over the years, and now screw him... we got his $$ already, who cares if we are limiting him from a production etc standpoint. And this market that you envision... they’ve also spent money on KG, and maybe some additional gadgets over the years, but they’re such novices that they have no clue about EQ, a REC input for the sampler, or Audio editing tools?

There's a lot I would like to see in Gadget, but I don't for a minute think Gadget needs what I want in order to be successful.

I’m not asking for micro-niche tools and features like many others have over the years.... just looking to get the job done with standard features that BM3, Cubasis, GarageBand all have?

I see a money-making machine. I see savvy businessmen, not Dinosaurs. There's nothing wrong from a business perspective with reducing development expense once a product has reached the point that it generates a steady revenue stream. There is a law of diminishing returns, and business success lies in knowing how to gauge that. No matter how vocal Gadget's critics are, I have to think they're a drop in the bucket of that revenue pool.

I see a team led by someone who decided to make Gadget all about gadgetizing and monetizing it’s HW, but in IOS there’s too much competition now, and also free synths that could be used within Cubasis. They’ve made zero effort to shift resources away from gadgetizing HW towards improving the above mentioned features. What’s the point of having a “sampler” when you can’t sample anything? What’s the point of having 3 audio gadgets when you can’t edit the audio you record? What’s the point of having code to REC IN to the 3 audio gadgets and not reuse the code for the Sampler? What’s the point of having a great drum sampler player like Bilbao and leave out ATTACK so you constantly have to deal with front-end pop issues? And a money-making machine would see the opportunity in selling drum kits... so simple and by getting a variety of producers involved, you potentially pull in their followers as well. NI does it all the time.

Of course, that's all no more informed than any of the other opinions being thrown out here. I don't know why I wasted my time writing it. It changes nothing. :D

We are not here to change anything. We are exchanging ideas and opinions. All good.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

That’s cool @caspergomez - I can tell you care a lot more deeply about it than I do. I kinda said far more than my actual concern over it warrants already, so I’ll leave it there. ✌️😎

And yeh ... all good.

• The sad reality is that most see a ‘Sampler’ as a device to play sounds created by others, very few actually sample sounds from scratch. (Look at certain genres where it super evident that bank sounds were used with some quistionable vocal stuff on top).

Gadget relies on AudioCopy for sampling & editing but at least it supports importing of user samples to Bilbao, Vancouver and Abu Dhabi.

I was positively surprised when Files.app support was added and later sub=folder support for .wav and .rex files which made it a bit smoother. iTunes export allows multiple sample rates and bit depths but it would be handy to select a folder to export to. For me Files.app works well for minor house-keeping after export.

I’ve yet to see any iOS synth app that can compete with the ‘synth romplers’ Gadget provides (iM1, iWavestation and Module) and iMono/Poly is another where we have to look hard to find a VA-Synth that is as easy to use and covers a lot of ground. Some may say SynthMaster player but it lacks any kind of deeper editing and is a resource hog...

On the Desktop the Gadgets provide a quick way to get a ton of Korg Sounds instead of digging out old gardware from the closet that may be a bit unreliable...

So yeah, Gadet could be a ‘complete do everything with one app’ thing but even then it would not satisfy everyone...

Even if we only get maintanance updates for Gadget to keep it working on future iOS/iPadOS updates I’ll be happy and will keep my collection ‘complete’.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    The iMono/Poly is one of the most versatile Gadgets when it comes to synthesis.

And if it was AUv3 this household would have bought it and/or Odyssei during the last sale (my wife likes Gadget, I find it too limiting)

• I’d actually quite like to know the proportion of people who bought macOS Gadget, used it a bit but didn’t adopt it as a core tool, then decided it was simply not worth parting with any money at all to upgrade to Gadget 2. I wonder if all the sales were macOS Gadget and hardly any were macOS Gadget 2.

• @MadGav said:

@Samu said:
    The iMono/Poly is one of the most versatile Gadgets when it comes to synthesis.

And if it was AUv3 this household would have bought it and/or Odyssei during the last sale (my wife likes Gadget, I find it too limiting)

In that case, they’d make a great gift for your wife. ODYSSEi/Lexington has 2 IAPs with different skins, women ❤️ those things ;)

• @u0421793 said:
    I’d actually quite like to know the proportion of people who bought macOS Gadget, used it a bit but didn’t adopt it as a core tool, then decided it was simply not worth parting with any money at all to upgrade to Gadget 2. I wonder if all the sales were macOS Gadget and hardly any were macOS Gadget 2.

That’s me, indeed.

• @purpan2 said:

@u0421793 said:
    I’d actually quite like to know the proportion of people who bought macOS Gadget, used it a bit but didn’t adopt it as a core tool, then decided it was simply not worth parting with any money at all to upgrade to Gadget 2. I wonder if all the sales were macOS Gadget and hardly any were macOS Gadget 2.

That’s me, indeed.

I'm the guy who has infinite optimism that I'm gonna be able to get all the stuff done that I begin. So, I bought Gadget for Mac and indeed upgraded (being optimistic) and only recently started working with it. It's really great to work with on mac and will be doing more of it - hope springs eternal and all that.

• Gadget 2 was more of the same.... the Korg marketing department at work. They should have given KG users $$ to upgrade to it.

• edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    The sad reality is that most see a ‘Sampler’ as a device to play sounds created by others, very few actually sample sounds from scratch. (Look at certain genres where it super evident that bank sounds were used with some quistionable vocal stuff on top).

I don’t know how most see it, but it’s another attempt to have users spend $$ on more of the same. No REC input, no Timestretch, etc... what was the point of it ? Just to load a sample and be able to play it on keys? Come on man. Let’s be serious. Recife... another waste of DEV resources... And all these people talking “you don’t know how much they spend on DEVs etc, well it’s not about how much they pay the DEVs, it’s how they guide the DEVs to utilize their time. The time spent developing VANCOUVER and RECIFE could have been used to get that EQ rolled out.

Gadget relies on AudioCopy for sampling & editing but at least it supports importing of user samples to Bilbao, Vancouver and Abu Dhabi.

I was positively surprised when Files.app support was added and later sub=folder support for .wav and .rex files which made it a bit smoother. iTunes export allows multiple sample rates and bit depths but it would be handy to select a folder to export to. For me Files.app works well for minor house-keeping after export.

That’s cute.

I’ve yet to see any iOS synth app that can compete with the ‘synth romplers’ Gadget provides (iM1, iWavestation and Module) and iMono/Poly is another where we have to look hard to find a VA-Synth that is as easy to use and covers a lot of ground. Some may say SynthMaster player but it lacks any kind of deeper editing and is a resource hog...

On the Desktop the Gadgets provide a quick way to get a ton of Korg Sounds instead of digging out old gardware from the closet that may be a bit unreliable...

So yeah, Gadet could be a ‘complete do everything with one app’ thing but even then it would not satisfy everyone...

It doesn’t do everything. Doesn’t “sample” and doesn’t have Audio editing features despite having three (completely unnecessary) Audio gadgets.

Even if we only get maintanance updates for Gadget to keep it working on future iOS/iPadOS updates I’ll be happy and will keep my collection ‘complete’.

Cheers!

• I normally work in Pro Tools, Ableton or both (using rewired) in a desktop based studio.

Gadget iOS first came out when we were moving to a new state and had to temorarily stay at a hotel a few weeks until we found a place to settle. It was really ideal because I could program midi, still be productive and not have to try to set up my rig or a laptop version of it. I didn't find ABF yet at that time btw :(

I kept using Gadget and got all the possible synth apps (iMono/Poly etc) to use the Gadgets to write while traveling or anywhere if I wanted to leave my studio. Beach etc... Later moving it all back to Ableton/Pro Tools as midi and using different sounds mostly.

I wound up buying Gadget for Mac just to have the VST/AU/AAX versions of the Gadgets in case I wanted to keep the sounds and still re-arrange MIDI and add parts etc...

Of course I later got forced into getting the Gadget 2 Mac upgrade for $100 or whatever just so I could use all the MS20 and Polysix parts I had been using on my iPad. I've never used the Mac 2 App, I don't even install it. I only use the plugins in Pro Tools and Ableton but it was cheaper to get the upgrade than the Plugin-only Pack which they started to offer.

I have bought all of it on 50% sale but it's not cheap for sure I agree. The Mac 2 upgrade is the only one that got me for not 50%!

Also about the Module expansions, I got them all but later realized they are Gadget iOS ONLY so I never use them anymore and if I do it has to be committed to audio. That was a slight waste of money for me, useful to have if I need the sounds- but I rarely do.

I don't regret it all because Gadget on iOS is remarkably stable and I really love many of the Gadgets, they have grown on me. It's definitely paid for itself, for me. I agree there are quite a lot of limitations but they work for me for how I use it. I don't see them making Gadget into a full featured DAW myself. Not while keeping it as stable as it is now anyway. I would be surprised if all the Gadgets don't eventually make it to AUv3 for iOS but they will likely get us to pay dearly for it (based on how things have gone so far)

• There will be no AUv3. They gave you guys Taipei.

• @caspergomez said:
    There will be no AUv3. They gave you guys Taipei.

I don’t see why not but ok.

I mean, they are all AU on Mac already. Once they figure out how to monetize it I can’t see them leaving that cash on the table.

Do you think Korg are actual villains? 😁

• @caspergomez : you list lots of things that > @maxwellhouser said:

@caspergomez said:

I mean, they are all AU on Mac already. Once they figure out how to monetize it I can’t see them leaving that cash on the table.

I think the outstanding question is whether the revenue raised would exceed the cost of converting to AUv3.

• edited August 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    I think the outstanding question is whether the revenue raised would exceed the cost of converting to AUv3.

True, guess we can only wait and see...

• @espiegel123 said:
    @caspergomez : you list lots of things that > @maxwellhouser said:

@caspergomez said:

Ok so maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking mainly about using Gadgets in other iOS daws such as Cubasis? Or are we talking about implementing IAA/AUv3 and whatnot in a KG2 to permit the use of third party virtual instruments in the KG ecosystem? Or both? I see the former as a strong possibility but a 100% negative to the latter.

• edited August 2020

@caspergomez said:

Ok so maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking mainly about using Gadgets in other iOS daws such as Cubasis? Or are we talking about implementing IAA/AUv3 and whatnot in a KG2 to permit the use of third party virtual instruments in the KG ecosystem? Or both? I see the former as a strong possibility but a 100% negative to the latter.

Yeah I meant only to use in other apps, sorry should have clarified! Totally agree they won’t host 3rd party AUv3’s.

• I would like to also randomly vent that the one parametric (mid) band of the iFX EQ only goes down to 300Hz (and only up to 3k). That’s pretty lame!

• @maxwellhouser said:

@caspergomez said:

Yeah I meant only to use in other apps, sorry should have clarified! Totally agree they won’t host 3rd party AUv3’s.

Yup.

• @maxwellhouser said:
    I would like to also randomly vent that the one parametric (mid) band of the iFX EQ only goes down to 300Hz (and only up to 3k). That’s pretty lame!

All the bands are screwed up. They don’t accurately reflect the frequency stated when dialing in.

• @maxwellhouser said:
    I would like to also randomly vent that the one parametric (mid) band of the iFX EQ only goes down to 300Hz (and only up to 3k). That’s pretty lame!

Why? The low band goes to 20hz and up to 1200. It’s mid band fora reason.

@caspergomez said:

@maxwellhouser said:

All the bands are screwed up. They don’t accurately reflect the frequency stated when dialing in.

Sounds like you just made that up.

• I just re install Gadget but for some reason I can't install my purchase . Anyone else have this issue .