Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN 1.1.0 is out ! (with AUv3 support)

Comments

• edited November 2019

I was thrown off by the empty loop, and I was already familiar with the arpeggiator and the standalone version! Thankfully this forum exists.

I think it would be a good idea to start with one or more beats.

While it's not unusual for a sequencer to start empty, its UI is familiar to most. For the first time user of Aphelian, however, it's not clear what a "beat" looks like or how to add one.

• @CracklePot said:

@JuanB said:
    Thank you all for the feedback! :)

Do you think that the initial empty loop is confusing?

Next version midi CC sequencer!

Hi. Is there a way to change the Time Division in the AU, either mode?

This is the biggest missing feature IMO.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@DCJ said:

@CracklePot said:

@JuanB said:

You can’t get what you want between these two options?

• @JuanB

There seems to a bug with the Time Division setting, and the way it is displayed.

It does not appear unless the AU window is Full Screen. It is hidden otherwise, and inaccessible.

In AUM, normally you double-tap the AU title bar to toggle to Full Screen display. For some reason, this does not get the Time Division setting to show itself.
    But if I make the AU window even bigger, by manually dragging the window up higher in the AUM interface and scaling the window from the bottom, the Time Division setting finally reveals itself.

It seems like the Time Division setting should always be available, not just in Full Screen AU mode. Maybe something is off with the way the KB is always visible now, and the way the Time Division Setting shares the same screen area as the KB and the bottom of the Event patterns selections.

• @wim said:

@DCJ said:

@CracklePot said:

@JuanB said:

Yeah that works.
    But only if it is not hidden.
    Seems to be a bug, at least in AUM.

• Really enjoying this app.

Unless I’ve missed something, @JuanB ,c an I suggest a way to enter note velocity ? A separate velocity switch to engage that mode or just a held touch on the note and drag up or down to set the velocity. Colour intensity reflects velocity value.

I’d like this in the standalone too. Yes, I know you can link the event velocity to planet or moon’s orbits. But it’s also good to have complete control over programmed velocity.

Thanks

• Oh....and swing for the sequencer would be good too.

• +1 for swing.

• Another plea for swing!

• @zeropoint said:
    Oh....and swing for the sequencer would be good too.

+1 for swing

• @Prog1967 said:

@zeropoint said:

+1 for swing

another one

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:

@DCJ said:

@CracklePot said:

@JuanB said:

Yeah that works.
    But only if it is not hidden.
    Seems to be a bug, at least in AUM.

Ah so that’s why I never found it.

• @wim said:

I did get thrown off by that for a bit, but I'm not sure how else to handle it. Maybe just a short sentence in the middle of the screen saying to add some notes when there are none? I'd rather have that than have notes in there when I didn't ask for them.

sounds good!

I do have a feature request for sequencer mode. Can there please be an option to copy patterns from one to another in the pattern select? This would make it much easier to build variations without having to completely start over for each pattern.

I agree, that could be very useful.

Thanks for the feedback!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @JuanB I just want to say - I love the original app, and I love this AU.

:)

• @mojozart said:
    I think it would be a good idea to start with one or more beats.

While it's not unusual for a sequencer to start empty, its UI is familiar to most. For the first time user of Aphelian, however, it's not clear what a "beat" looks like or how to add one.

I agree, it's an unexpected UI, and there is no sound coming out of it. That's the reason why we used a predefined loop in the past. In the AU, I feel that the absence of events could be more annoying that the absence of notes (two steps until getting sound output). Maybe the timeline should be filled with quarter events?

For the moment we will try what happens with a better small-screen-layout and the suggested message.

Thanks for the feedback!

• @CracklePot said:

It seems like the Time Division setting should always be available, not just in Full Screen AU mode. Maybe something is off with the way the KB is always visible now, and the way the Time Division Setting shares the same screen area as the KB and the bottom of the Event patterns selections.

Yes! I agree. We are planning many improvements to the layout, one of them is te relocation of the time division bar, that will go to the top of the event panel.

Thanks!

• @zeropoint said:
    Really enjoying this app.

Unless I’ve missed something, @JuanB ,c an I suggest a way to enter note velocity ? A separate velocity switch to engage that mode or just a held touch on the note and drag up or down to set the velocity. Colour intensity reflects velocity value.

I’d like this in the standalone too. Yes, I know you can link the event velocity to planet or moon’s orbits. But it’s also good to have complete control over programmed velocity.

It is a nice feature, it could be very useful. For the moment we will add the orbit controlled velocity, but when the main functionality gets completed, I will love to add that feature.

Thanks

• @JuanB Love everything that you’ve done with Aphelian, stand-alone + au, and welcome the new and exciting additions and/or tweaks.. it’s such a fun app! 😀

• @zeropoint said:

@wim said:
    +1 for swing.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Another plea for swing!

@Prog1967 said:
    +1 for swing

@kobamoto said:
    another one

I needed it too. :)
    It will be added soon!

• @royor said:
    @JuanB Love everything that you’ve done with Aphelian, stand-alone + au, and welcome the new and exciting additions and/or tweaks.. it’s such a fun app! 😀

• @JuanB said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:
    This is cool! Having a lot of fun with it right now... just tinkering around.

I would love to see it run without needing a keyboard or key needing held down tho! Like other arpeggiators pick a scale and notes... any idea if this is in Its future

Yes! the Sequencer Mode will be available in a few weeks.

In the current version you could hold the notes with a Damper/Sustain Pedal (MIDI control change 64)

My man!! Thank you> @JuanB said:

@eross said:
    @JuanB any chance of getting this on the iphone ? that would be awesome!

It would be very nice!
    We are a small team (2 devs), The standalone app was a very long shot, and it was very tiring. We are switching to a small iteration process, and we are focused now on complete the AU. When we finish that task, and if the context is good, the next thing is universal version.

this thing is awesome man! love the step sequencer now!
    and patterns!
    do you think you’ll add auto pattern change kinda like spa has? that would help in letting sonsg play live... just curious.. the midi change is really great and helpful that you can push a key and get the pattern you want! great idea

• Version 1.2.1 Is online!

• AU: New responsive layout
    • AU: New swing parameter for the sequencer
    • Fix inter-app session stop crash
  • @JuanB said:
    Version 1.2.1 Is online!

Downloading the update as we speak, love love love 💕 this app!

• @JuanB said:
    Version 1.2.1 Is online!

Thanks for swing!

• @JuanB
    Thank you!
    You guys are the best!

• @JuanB Thank you kindly for the Swing.. well because, you know..

• Swing! Thanks!!

• edited December 2019

Curious what the upside of the sequencer as AUv3 is...am I correct in thinking one needs one instance per instrument to be sequenced in AUM?
    IAA lets you sequence 4 in AUM, right?

Less AUM scrolling...

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@Littlewoodg said:
    Curious what the upside of the sequencer as AUv3 is...am I correct in thinking one needs one instance per instrument to be sequenced in AUM?
    IAA lets you sequence 4 in AUM, right?

Less AUM scrolling...

State saving for one thing. Able to have more than one app on the screen at the same time to adjust patches. Not having to flip flop between screens. I’d rather scroll. More focused.

On the other hand, any app that has AudioBus state saving is fine as Non-AU in my book. As long as it behaves and doesn’t cause a lot of IAA ickyness.

• edited December 2019

@JuanB said:
    Version 1.2.1 Is online!

Is there a swing parameter setting for the sequencer in standalone mode?

thx for the sweet update!