Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN 1.1.0 is out ! (with AUv3 support)

Comments

• Very nice, took me a while to suss out as I was adding Aphelian as a MIDI source, but having fun with it now.

• edited November 2019

Seems I’m always a few steps behind with these midi tools, I’m just diving into using the IAA version in AUM to run instruments...

• Getting some great tones out of this driving into a Kronecker and driving Aphelian with SPAU.

The events changer is great. Only grip the scaling in AUM is fiddly. Wish it wasn’t so big.

• I like it as a unique arp that can play unexpected notes when being fed midi. Set the beat to 9 instead of 8. Pretty cool and very musical.

• edited November 2019

Thanks for the tips! Getting some wonderful ambient arp-sounds in combination with Kronecker.

• So the AU works like the SA, but in the SA you preselect the notes that play.
    In the AU, you feed it notes through Midi, and can change the played notes live.
    You can also send it sequenced chords, and the notes played will change to correspond to the current playing chord.

So the AU works much a single track in the SA, except you have live control over the note-locking by changing the notes you feed into the AU.

• edited November 2019

The Aphelian AU will soon be enhanced with a sequencer? By adding a new stage or by adding a mode switch? Or, by adding a new AU?

• Tonight 9:00 pm uk time, Doug live with Aphelian on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSoundTestRoom

• @espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:
    This is cool! Having a lot of fun with it right now... just tinkering around.

I would love to see it run without needing a keyboard or key needing held down tho! Like other arpeggiators pick a scale and notes... any idea if this is in Its future!?

Arpeggiators typically arpeggiate the keys one is holding down. It is doing what I expect an arpeggiator to do.

Of course it is, doesn’t mean that it would not be cool to have it without keys your royal highness

• @espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I would love to see it run without needing a keyboard or key needing held down tho! Like other arpeggiators pick a scale and notes... any idea if this is in Its future!?

Arpeggiators typically arpeggiate the keys one is holding down. It is doing what I expect an arpeggiator to do.

Yes! the Sequencer Mode will be available in a few weeks.

In the current version you could hold the notes with a Damper/Sustain Pedal (MIDI control change 64)

• @_ki said:

Changing the shape generates different melodies from the note set, as does turning the shape . @JuanB Quite inspiring - and really makes me want to automate the shape id and rotation by CCs B)

:)
    And the shape mutation too B)

One big thing that needs to be mentioned is that the melodies emerging from this method are not synced to the host bars - they play and repeat nicely, but usually are offset to the bar start. To capture them, record them for two loops and then cut and shift the identified melody.

Will look into it
    thanks for the feedback!

• @mojozart said:
    The Aphelian AU will soon be enhanced with a sequencer?

Yes, soon. It will be a different operation mode in the same AU3 extension.

• @Faland said:
    Tonight 9:00 pm uk time, Doug live with Aphelian on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSoundTestRoom

:) B)

• Hey @JuanB
    Awesome update!
    I love it!

I was wondering if the Moons will make it into the AU in the future?

• Bought it just after the Doug‘s live streaming. Veeeery nice, both the SA and the AUv3. Look forward to sequencer and shape mutations! :smiley:

• @JuanB said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I would love to see it run without needing a keyboard or key needing held down tho! Like other arpeggiators pick a scale and notes... any idea if this is in Its future

In the current version you could hold the notes with a Damper/Sustain Pedal (MIDI control change 64)

My man!! Thank you

• @reasOne said:

@JuanB said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I would love to see it run without needing a keyboard or key needing held down tho! Like other arpeggiators pick a scale and notes... any idea if this is in Its future

My man!! Thank you

You can also send the AUM keyboard to it with Hold set to On.
    You can toggle/select the notes that get played, pretty much like the SA version.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2019

@JuanB There is no sync drift, only that in my use-case the melody start mostly didn't match up with the bar start. I think it would be handy if either the events could be rotated (like on the shape page) to align to the bar start or to be able to set the start marker using a new tool.

Another idea is that it would be nice to 'shift' the note map - with this i mean a function like bit rolling so the notes 'rotate' their places. One could align the 'wanted' start note to the top where the shapes have their default start - for the first type this has the same effect as rotating the shape, but it would differ for the other types.

The 'make longer note events' tool (sorry didn't lookup the official name) is sometimes a bit quirky, either it works just in one direction or an already set longer event vanishes again when releasing the finger - but perhaps both effects resulted from not cleaning the ipad surface :)

My 'Generating Melody Ideas using Aphelian AU' video will probably be posted tomorrow, editing is done but its already long after midnight and i better have a fresh look at it before posting.

• Liking this, but... No MIDI effect in Cubasis?

Would be nice to be able record the MIDI out in Cubasis.

• I discovered that Poly 2 is a fun generator for Aphelian.

• My tutorial video is done and published :

• @JuanB It would be helpful for if one could change the AUs midi output channel and if this new setting would be stored/recalled in a preset and session.

There are several MIDI FX scripts processing multi channel midi input which only work properly if all input generators (including several Aphelian instances) transmit on different midi channels. The List of AU midi generators shows that there are already many plugins supporting this feature.

• @_ki said:
    My tutorial video is done and published :

Hey, thanks for this. I bought it when it came out the other day but didn’t have time to grasp the finer points. You covered them here and laid it all out concisely - thanks 🙂

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

It seems like this should be able to be loaded in the Audiobus MIDI FX position rather than the MIDI Input and Output positions. If you need to feed it MIDI notes then putting it in the FX position is the most logical place. It can work as-is but the setup is more cumbersome.

• Oh. This is awesome. I really like the standalone, but found myself hardly ever using it. I’ll use this all the time I can tell.

If this could be made to send out midi cc’s as well, that’d be over the top!

• @audio_DT The video just covered the new arpeggiator AU. There are a lot more features in the stand-alone app. For instance more tone-maps, the cool synth, moons as modulation sources, a pattern based drum machine with samples and a song mode...

The devs already announced that the the sequencer feature will make it into the AU. I also hope for the 'moons' as CC generators and the additional tone-maps :)

• @_ki said:
    My tutorial video is done and published :

Ok.. Thanks.....

Bought.. looks interesting..

• edited November 2019

I was going to suggest that this should have been registered as a MIDI AU, but decided because you are still adding features to this plugin, a MIDI label now might preclude adding audio later? (Alas, there are so many MIDI plugins in the Instrument list now, maybe this will never be sorted out?)

• @_ki said:
    @audio_DT The video just covered the new arpeggiator AU. There are a lot more features in the stand-alone app. For instance more tone-maps, the cool synth, moons as modulation sources, a pattern based drum machine with samples and a song mode...

The devs already announced that the the sequencer feature will make it into the AU. I also hope for the 'moons' as CC generators and the additional tone-maps :)

Yeah, I bought it on AU release. I was initially a bit bemused that it's only a small slice of the full, standalone app, but it's still really good and the other stuff will come in good time. Btw, I downloaded your wonderful midicopy script for Mozaic - you're a genius! Ha ha. Thanks.