Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN 1.1.0 is out ! (with AUv3 support)

Comments

• Thank you very much for your opinions!

We will release the AU as AUMI today.
    :)

There is a testflight build available, if someone wants to try it send me your email in a PM.

• @_ki said:
    It would be nice if the shape positioning and shape morphing feature of the standalone could make it into the AU - they change a lot in the generated note sequence.

Yes, we are planning to add those gestures

• @CracklePot said:

@Bon_Tempi said:
    Would something like this be possible to implement? Is it planned? Or is there already another way or workaround to get the same result?

Maybe the same snapshot system from the main app will make it into the AU when the AU Sequencer update/version is released.
    I am referring to the Scene/Song features of the main app.

I agree, the sequencer scenes could be used to accomplish something like this.

The idea is to switch scenes using MIDI commands. The snapshot idea could benefit from something like this. Maybe later we could add a MIDI command to add and scenes and complete the workflow :)

• @JuanB

Rozeta shows up in Cubasis as a MIDI FX even though it’s listed in the other category in AUM. So apparently there’s a way to get it to work.

Your app only shows up in that other category.

Maybe @brambos can chime in here to help you out? So that you can keep it in the other category, yet still have it show up as a MIDI FX in Cubasis?

Cubasis, in case you’re not aware, has a specific place for MIDI FX that is distinct from the main instrument slots for AUs. It’s located on the left, the same place where you load normal Effects AUs.

• @e121 said:
    @JuanB

Rozeta shows up in Cubasis as a MIDI FX even though it’s listed in the other category in AUM. So apparently there’s a way to get it to work.

I noticed that too!

Maybe @brambos can chime in here to help you out? So that you can keep it in the other category, yet still have it show up as a MIDI FX in Cubasis?

Maybe creating 2 different extensions using the same code? One categorized as AUMU and the other as AUMI.

Cubasis, in case you’re not aware, has a specific place for MIDI FX that is distinct from the main instrument slots for AUs. It’s located on the left, the same place where you load normal Effects AUs.

I tried the MIDI FX yesterday testing the AUMI option. I like it a lot :)

• @JuanB said:

Cubasis lets MIDI FX record the MIDI output, which would be an especially nice feature with your app with all the complex patterns it can create.

• @JuanB any chance of getting this on the iphone ? that would be awesome!

• @_ki said:
    @Bon_Tempi Instead of snapshots, i simply use AUMs preset system.

Loading another preset while the host is playing and while there are held notes instantly switches the generated notes. And one even can automate AUMs preset switching...

I don't thinks there is the need of an own snapsshot system, as the AUM preset approach already seems to work perfectly :)

Dear Ki - thanks for this idea - it’s definitely working and a possible workaround - and weirdly I never thought about it before so thanks for this .,, it makes the actual situation better for me ...

But at the same time - and as others mentioned before ... it is a bit „complicated“ to type names and save the presets while jamming - and that is why I would say ... it definitely works but it’s kicking me a bit out of my jam-vibe and let’s me focus less on the music compared to a simple and straight forward snapshot function ,,,

• @eross said:
    @JuanB any chance of getting this on the iphone ? that would be awesome!

🙏🏻

• @eross said:

It would be very nice!
    We are a small team (2 devs), The standalone app was a very long shot, and it was very tiring. We are switching to a small iteration process, and we are focused now on complete the AU. When we finish that task, and if the context is good, the next thing is universal version.

• @e121 said:

@JuanB said:

Cubasis lets MIDI FX record the MIDI output, which would be an especially nice feature with your app with all the complex patterns it can create.

Super cool! I didn't known that you can record the processed output in this way. It's perfect for testing too. Good tip.

I spent all the exploration time with the AU using a real keyboard in Audiobus/AUM (knowing that the SEQ will be available soon), but it turns out that it's very nice to use the ARP inside a DAW.

Thank you!

• @JuanB said:

@eross said:

It would be very nice!
    We are a small team (2 devs), The standalone app was a very long shot, and it was very tiring. We are switching to a small iteration process, and we are focused now on complete the AU. When we finish that task, and if the context is good, the next thing is universal version.

oh excellent! well if it is possible later down the road. i’m sure there are a lot of people that would like to see it be universal. keep up the great work!

• It is not clear that MIDI FX is a requirement for Cubasis. Rozeta and Antony are both listed, for example, but they are both registered as Instruments. StreamByter is listed twice, once as Instrument and once as MIDI FX. I wonder if Cubasis has a whitelist, or maybe they have grandfathered-in some legacy instruments.

Other hosts such as AUM and Zenbeats will let you select from a list of instruments and a list of MIDI FX.

@JuanB In order to maximize dev effort, I think exposing AU parameters is a good first move. This will let the hosts do more of the work, at least initially. For example, apeMatrix already has a snapshotting mechanism and a modulation mechanism, provided the plugin exposes its interesting parameters.

• Version 1.1.1 released!

Disclaimer notes for users of version 1.1.0 (published 4 days ago)

WARNING: In this release, due to the feedback received from many users, the AU3 extension was recategorized as a MIDI PROCESSOR. This change will lead to the inability to load the Aphelian settings in the sessions that were created using the version 1.1.0.
    We are very sorry for any inconveniences derived from this issue, but we believe that this change would benefit the user experience in all AU Hosts.

• @mojozart said:
    @JuanB In order to maximize dev effort, I think exposing AU parameters is a good first move. This will let the hosts do more of the work, at least initially. For example, apeMatrix already has a snapshotting mechanism and a modulation mechanism, provided the plugin exposes its interesting parameters.

We will focus on exposing AU parameters soon, after the sequencer is complete.
    :)

• If you want to preserve the Aphelian settings of the old sessions, you must save the state as a AU preset in the host before updating. Then, after the update, you can recall the settings on the midi processor.

• @JuanB said:
    If you want to preserve the Aphelian settings of the old sessions, you must save the state as a AU preset in the host before updating. Then, after the update, you can recall the settings on the midi processor.

Sadly, this did not work.

Did it work for anyone else?

• @DCJ said:

@JuanB said:
    If you want to preserve the Aphelian settings of the old sessions, you must save the state as a AU preset in the host before updating. Then, after the update, you can recall the settings on the midi processor.

Sadly, this did not work.

Did it work for anyone else?

I still don’t see the update.
    Waiting.

• I posted this in creations thread already, figured I'd share here too

Little jam using 3 instances of Aphelian with Zeeon, Factory, SM1, Troublemaker, Future Drummer, and a few effects apps.

• edited November 2019

@JuanB said:
    Version 1.1.1 released!

Disclaimer notes for users of version 1.1.0 (published 4 days ago)

WARNING: In this release, due to the feedback received from many users, the AU3 extension was recategorized as a MIDI PROCESSOR.

Got in running in Cubasis, recording MIDI out.

Unfortunately Cubasis is struggling big time on iOS 13.2 with a 10.5” Air, can’t even run Model D because I get a ton of crackling noises and the CPU constantly maxing out (compared to under 50% with smooth sound in AUM). Other less demanding synths struggle too, hopefully Steinberg fixes this.

• @Halftone said:
    I posted this in creations thread already, figured I'd share here too

Little jam using 3 instances of Aphelian with Zeeon, Factory, SM1, Troublemaker, Future Drummer, and a few effects apps.

Nice groove, I’m enjoying Aphelian too!

• Just installed the update and it works perfect or at least it works in NS2 the way I originally was hopi g it would work.

Thanks for the killer app. I love it what you created. Maybe someday consider adding the entire SA as an AU instrument as well that would be amazing.

• @JuanB Hope this AU treatment, and all your hard work got you a decent amount of new sales. Even if you parceled out these AU's piecemeal at 2$ a pop I'd be in or IAP :)

• @JuanB

A few more thoughts here, for your consideration:

The window currently only has one size, and doesn’t resize too well in AUM. There’s also no way to scroll, so parts are always cut off unless you go full screen. Full screen however leaves no room for an on screen keyboard to play, both in AUM and Cubasis.

Makes it less than ideal to work with.

Solutions could be:

1. Some way to scroll around when not in full screen. Scroll bars, some sort of tap and drag combination. Something.

2. Or a window that automatically resized. Some other AUs do this. One downside is that the UI can get pretty small.

3. Redo the UI to accommodate for a half screen view, maybe with tabs or something.

I think option 1 might not only be the easiest but also the best, because it’s versatile enough for any host.

Just some thoughts. Great concept, but the interface is as I say less than ideal.

• Weird. I have updated this app several times and after a little while, the same update is in the store to download again. Is anyone seeing this? The app still opens so nothing appears to be broken. I have done a restart. Air 2 with latest iOS.

• @Halftone said:
    I posted this in creations thread already, figured I'd share here too

nice! :)

• @e121 said:
    @JuanB

A few more thoughts here, for your consideration:

The window currently only has one size, and doesn’t resize too well in AUM. There’s also no way to scroll, so parts are always cut off unless you go full screen. Full screen however leaves no room for an on screen keyboard to play, both in AUM and Cubasis.

Makes it less than ideal to work with.

Solutions could be:

1. Some way to scroll around when not in full screen. Scroll bars, some sort of tap and drag combination. Something.

2. Or a window that automatically resized. Some other AUs do this. One downside is that the UI can get pretty small.

3. Redo the UI to accommodate for a half screen view, maybe with tabs or something.

I think option 1 might not only be the easiest but also the best, because it’s versatile enough for any host.

Just some thoughts. Great concept, but the interface is as I say less than ideal.

Yes! We thought about a scroll bar. It's a fact: the window behaviour could be improved, and it is important because it affects the workflow. We have to analyze what happens in different hosts, there are variations between them. We willl work on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

• edited November 2019

@yowza said:
    Weird. I have updated this app several times and after a little while, the same update is in the store to download again. Is anyone seeing this? The app still opens so nothing appears to be broken. I have done a restart. Air 2 with latest iOS.

The app store is working in a strange way. I couldn't see the internal app page for hours.

• I can’t find Aphelian as an AU anywhere in Audiobus3 or AUM even after the latest update in either the audio or midi lanes.

• Great, looking forward to the sequencer AU too :smile: