Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN 1.1.0 is out ! (with AUv3 support)

Comments

• One Atom piano roll loaded with a slow chord sequence, fed into one Aphelian instance for rhythm, a separate instance for bass, and directly to another app for chords. I may never write a piece myself again. :#

• @wim said:
    One Atom piano roll loaded with a slow chord sequence, fed into one Aphelian instance for rhythm, a separate instance for bass, and directly to another app for chords. I may never write a piece myself again. :#

Try using Autony to generate those slow one note seeds routed into Aphelian. Then route Autony to Cality then to Polythemus or midiFLTr to strain out some notes and send the result to MidiEcho (through Brams Scalar) for some random arp trills. It can get a little higgledy-piggledy but try it. ;)

• Thanks @wim for the Atom tip - watched all the vids and it really is great that you can manipulate time :)
    All of these apps are starting to interact with each other, and Aphelian does this like a champion boxer punching out arpeggios.
    I love to work with generative apps and live performance at the same time.
    Its heating up.

• @CracklePot said:
    Hey @JuanB
    Awesome update!
    I love it!

Thanks! :)

I was wondering if the Moons will make it into the AU in the future?

Yes!

• @_ki said:
    @JuanB There is no sync drift, only that in my use-case the melody start mostly didn't match up with the bar start. I think it would be handy if either the events could be rotated (like on the shape page) to align to the bar start or to be able to set the start marker using a new tool.

Event shift. Nice idea! This could be useful in many situations.

Another idea is that it would be nice to 'shift' the note map - with this i mean a function like bit rolling so the notes 'rotate' their places. One could align the 'wanted' start note to the top where the shapes have their default start - for the first type this has the same effect as rotating the shape, but it would differ for the other types.

Nice!

The 'make longer note events' tool (sorry didn't lookup the official name) is sometimes a bit quirky, either it works just in one direction or an already set longer event vanishes again when releasing the finger - but perhaps both effects resulted from not cleaning the ipad surface :)

Ok, will check that.

My 'Generating Melody Ideas using Aphelian AU' video will probably be posted tomorrow, editing is done but its already long after midnight and i better have a fresh look at it before posting.

Thank you for the feedback!
    :)

• @_ki said:
    @JuanB It would be helpful for if one could change the AUs midi output channel and if this new setting would be stored/recalled in a preset and session.
    There are several MIDI FX scripts processing multi channel midi input which only work properly if all input generators (including several Aphelian instances) transmit on different midi channels. The List of AU midi generators shows that there are already many plugins supporting this feature.

Added to the list!
    Thanks!

• @_ki said:
    @audio_DT The video just covered the new arpeggiator AU. There are a lot more features in the stand-alone app. For instance more tone-maps, the cool synth, moons as modulation sources, a pattern based drum machine with samples and a song mode...

On comment on the maps:

There are more TONE MAPS in the AU3 version. In the standalone app the map list is the combination of the values that the exposed as primitives in the AU version.

AU3 version primitives: TYPES (3) x DIRECTIONS (4) x REPETITIONS (4) = 48 maps.
    SA version: 4 x 9 list = 36 maps (some maps are discarded).

The AU3 version uses primitives because they are more powerful, as they can be changed with CC or AU3Params. But the effect in the same.

• @DCJ @audio_DT @mojozart @e121@wim

Regarding the Issue of Aphelian not appearing in the midi FX list.

The extension is registered as AUMU (sound generator audio unit), and now I realized it should be registered as AUMI (midi processor). The programming is the same in both cases, but I select the AUMU option because I thought that It would be better supported across AU3 hosts.
    The fact that the Rozeta suite is registered as a AUMU in AUM conviced me.

I tested today the MIDI processor registration and it worked ok. I'm going to test it a little bit more.

The big drawback of changing this is now is that the sessions that use the current AU3 will crash when they open the new AU3 extension. This could be bad for the people that use the app the last 3 days. What is your opinion about this??

• @JuanB said:

@_ki said:
    @audio_DT The video just covered the new arpeggiator AU. There are a lot more features in the stand-alone app. For instance more tone-maps, the cool synth, moons as modulation sources, a pattern based drum machine with samples and a song mode...

On comment on the maps:

There are more TONE MAPS in the AU3 version. In the standalone app the map list is the combination of the values that the exposed as primitives in the AU version.

AU3 version primitives: TYPES (3) x DIRECTIONS (4) x REPETITIONS (4) = 48 maps.
    SA version: 4 x 9 list = 36 maps (some maps are discarded).

The AU3 version uses primitives because they are more powerful, as they can be changed with CC or AU3Params. But the effect in the same.

That is pretty awesome when you explain it like that.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2019

@JuanB Thanks for the explanation regarding the tone maps and you are right that offering parametric tone-map variation is a cool idea.

It would be nice if the shape positioning and shape morphing feature of the standalone could make it into the AU - they change a lot in the generated note sequence.

Regarding changing to AUMI - i would change it, as the AU isn't that long on the market. Just mention this problem (old session won"t recall) in the update note.
    Sugarbytes dropped IAA support for several of their apps breaking a lot of projects when they changed them to AU and i didn't read any complaints on the forum. They added a big warning to their update messages. So the fear of breaking projects should not hinder change.

• @JuanB said:

@_ki said:
    @JuanB There is no sync drift, only that in my use-case the melody start mostly didn't match up with the bar start. I think it would be handy if either the events could be rotated (like on the shape page) to align to the bar start or to be able to set the start marker using a new tool.

Event shift. Nice idea! This could be useful in many situations.

Another idea is that it would be nice to 'shift' the note map - with this i mean a function like bit rolling so the notes 'rotate' their places. One could align the 'wanted' start note to the top where the shapes have their default start - for the first type this has the same effect as rotating the shape, but it would differ for the other types.

Nice!

The 'make longer note events' tool (sorry didn't lookup the official name) is sometimes a bit quirky, either it works just in one direction or an already set longer event vanishes again when releasing the finger - but perhaps both effects resulted from not cleaning the ipad surface :)

Ok, will check that.

My 'Generating Melody Ideas using Aphelian AU' video will probably be posted tomorrow, editing is done but its already long after midnight and i better have a fresh look at it before posting.

Thank you for the feedback!
    :)

same here.... the make longer note button doesn’t seem to work at all for me. short works great though

• @JuanB I think it is early enough to switch to AUMI as well.

• edited November 2019

Better switch now than later regarding AU settings.

• @auxmux said:
    Better switch now than later regarding AU settings.

+1

• edited November 2019

@JuanB I would just switch the category with a disclaimer in the release notes.

If it had been out longer, another approach is to register it in both categories and rename the current one to LEGACY. ChordPadX did this.

For legacy reasons, however, the plugins are already mixed up. Rozeta MIDI plugins are instruments, but Mozaic is MIDI. Autony is an instrument, but Cality is MIDI. MIDI is more convenient and avoids the misleading audio connection, e.g., in apeMatrix, but I don't know of a host where it really matters.

• @JuanB yes I would switch now and send a disclaimer. Registering it this way will actually make it useable in more apps.

• Another vote for switching now to AUMI

• Which are the effective benefits of the switching?

• @JuanB said:
    @DCJ @audio_DT @mojozart @e121@wim

I would prefer Aphelian to be AUMI and appear in the midi processor list.

And besides - thanks for this very good update - I always enjoyed Aphelian - but now that it’s AUV3 it will become much more used in my workflow! It made me really happy to see the update ... so thanks for this.

But - after playing with the app for one evening - I noticed what is still missing and what could make it an even much greater tool: a SNAPSHOT-Function ... for the Shape and Event and Map settings ... similar to the snapshots in „StepBud“ for example .... cause while tweaking and improvising it would be great to be able to save several steps/versions and recall them later in the session ...

Would something like this be possible to implement? Is it planned? Or is there already another way or workaround to get the same result?

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2019

@Bon_Tempi Instead of snapshots, i simply use AUMs preset system.

Loading another preset while the host is playing and while there are held notes instantly switches the generated notes. And one even can automate AUMs preset switching...

I don't thinks there is the need of an own snapsshot system, as the AUM preset approach already seems to work perfectly :)

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@JuanB said:

I would prefer Aphelian to be AUMI and appear in the midi processor list.

And besides - thanks for this very good update - I always enjoyed Aphelian - but now that it’s AUV3 it will become much more used in my workflow! It made me really happy to see the update ... so thanks for this.

But - after playing with the app for one evening - I noticed what is still missing and what could make it an even much greater tool: a SNAPSHOT-Function ... for the Shape and Event and Map settings ... similar to the snapshots in „StepBud“ for example .... cause while tweaking and improvising it would be great to be able to save several steps/versions and recall them later in the session ...

Would something like this be possible to implement? Is it planned? Or is there already another way or workaround to get the same result?

Maybe the same snapshot system from the main app will make it into the AU when the AU Sequencer update/version is released.
    I am referring to the Scene/Song features of the main app.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@JuanB said:

The extension is registered as AUMU (sound generator audio unit), and now I realized it should be registered as AUMI (midi processor). The programming is the same in both cases, but I select the AUMU option because I thought that It would be better supported across AU3 hosts.

I tested today the MIDI processor registration and it worked ok. I'm going to test it a little bit more.

The big drawback of changing this is now is that the sessions that use the current AU3 will crash when they open the new AU3 extension. This could be bad for the people that use the app the last 3 days. What is your opinion about this??

I think maybe some apps get listed as both? For instance Effectrix AU shows as both Effectrix and Effectrix MIDI. I've never been clear why that is or what the difference is. So maybe this is an irrelevant comment.

If it needs to be exclusively changed, I'd say go for it now while it's still early in the game. Bram Bos still takes the occasional complaint about Rozeta being AUMU, and it's too late to change now.

• edited November 2019

@_ki said:

Loading another preset while the host is playing and while there are held notes instantly switches the generated notes. And one even can automate AUMs preset switching...

I don't thinks there is the need of an own snapsshot system, as the AUM preset approach already seems to work perfectly :)

Do have a system for organizing presets? I can see how PC can work, but one might end up with an unmanageable list of presets that spans lots of AUM projects.

• @_ki said:

Still would be better to have it in the AU.
    Because if you happen to use another host, this won’t work.

• @wim said:

@JuanB said:

I think maybe some apps get listed as both? For instance Effectrix AU shows as both Effectrix and Effectrix MIDI. I've never been clear why that is or what the difference is. So maybe this is an irrelevant comment.

If it needs to be exclusively changed, I'd say go for it now while it's still early in the game. Bram Bos still takes the occasional complaint about Rozeta being AUMU, and it's too late to change now.

I agree with @wim that if you're going to do the change you should do it now. To my mind, only the obsessively obsessed (!) will bother either way, but you're going to satisfy more people in the longer run if you make it midi now rather than later. Sure, one or two will complain, but more will complain if they've got dozens of tracks using Aphelian that suddenly don't have it anymore.

• @wim Effectrix is an FX (Audio Effect) and a FXm (so-called Music Effect). Neither of these is the MIDI Effect that Aphelian strives to be. To avoid confusion regarding the two entries, there's a whole section in the Effectrix manual.

For MIDI effects, the original category was Instrument until Rozeta blazed the trail for MIDI.

• I vote for Changing category now as well.

• @CracklePot and @auxmux Your arguments are convincing.

I currently have only about 10 presets/snapshots as AUM presets, but if there were 100 it would be very hard to find the right one - even when using a strict naming system. And these preset are only available in AUM, so if i would like to use a cool preset in another host, i would have to rebuild the settings.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I vote for Changing category now as well.

+1