Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• I don’t think Gadget is particularly lacking in terms of instruments that it would require AUv3 implementation for that purpose. However, three AUv3 effect slots per instrument would be a massive step forward. And wouldn’t interfere too much with Gadget’s multi-platform concept.

I do hope Korg open Gadget up to more third-party developers, as they did with Propellerhead and Stockholm (Dr Octo Rex). It’s weird that Propellerhead has become involved with Gadget, albeit in a very minor way, as Gadget is very similar to Reason. I, for one, would love to see more Reason REs released in Gadget.

• @SanMateo said:

With that I feel like Gadget sounds very much Gadget. Not to date myself but in the same way the MC-505 did. You can spot it on a track a mile away. I feel like (while it does sound better than the old 505) you can hear it without anyone telling you its Gadget, that is to say very in the box.

Nope, not true, imho.

• The motto at KORG is "assimilate or die, resistance is futile." Face it ppl if you're not happy with the product, don't spend money on it, don't use it, or deal with it and learn to enjoy it for what it is. It's simple for N00bs and people with creative drive and little patience for noodling and fiddling. I personally find AUs a curious novelty and some indie developers have some cool stuff but aside from Steinberg (THE INVENTOR OF VST) how many other big name DAW companies have embraced the AU system on IOS?

Wait for it...

NOBODY.

Korg give us pretty nice sounding toys to play with and actually if you're into commercial dance, the sounds provided are what you'd expect and there's more than an abundance of them. If Korg does release IOS AUs they'll probably sell it as a completely separate product like they have on the desktop platform.

I'd hate to see Gadget wrecked like BM3 because of the complexity introduced by all this third party support.

• I think the best way is, that Korg open the Door and let au‘s in. It would be a dream for me to became fx slots for audio and midi and a Gadget to host some 3rd party au‘s like sb factory and so on.

• Considering that not all AUv3's 'behave the same' (sample-rate issues, preset handling, memory management etc. etc.) it does feel like Korg will wait for Apple to implement a 'fail safe mechanism' to AUv3 loading to avoid stability issues...

I don't know how Gadget handles ram management but for me I usually stop adding Gadgets to a project once it's 'crackle town' but I guess if I keep on adding more Gadgets it will crash but before that happens everything has already become very unresponsive so it's like there's a built-in 'no more Gadgets ok?' that stops me from raching the point where things dive :D

Also AUv3's can sometimes crash the host (memory issues) so a safer way manage ram and resources is needed to keep the stability (ie. check in advance if there's enough resources left to load a plug-in).

But yeah, I'd still love to see at least iM1 as an AUv3 (I'm a sucker for those classic and somewhat cheesy sounds).

• edited August 2019

@LucidMusicInc said

aside from Steinberg (THE INVENTOR OF VST) how many other big name DAW companies have embraced the AU system on IOS?

You could rephrase that as how many big name DAW companies other than Steinberg (and obviously Apple) have embraced iOS at all.

It’s not that they haven’t embraced auv3, they’re conspicuous by their absence.

It does give the indies a chance at being one of the major DAW companies of the future but so far they’ve fallen well short I think.

The indies are making some amazing plugins, they deserve a killer IOS DAW.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I'd hate to see Gadget wrecked like BM3 because of the complexity introduced by all this third party support.

+1!

• @R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

I don’t think comparing anything to BM3 is fair due to the quality of its development. In comparison AUM integrated AUv3 and is very stable.

• @Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

I don’t think comparing anything to BM3 is fair due to the quality of its development. In comparison AUM integrated AUv3 and is very stable.

So comparing Gadget to AUM is fair?

• @R_2 said:

@Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

The point was adding AUv3 support would make it unstable.

• @Beathoven said:
    I don’t think Gadget is particularly lacking in terms of instruments that it would require AUv3 implementation for that purpose. However, three AUv3 effect slots per instrument would be a massive step forward. And wouldn’t interfere too much with Gadget’s multi-platform concept.

I do hope Korg open Gadget up to more third-party developers, as they did with Propellerhead and Stockholm (Dr Octo Rex). It’s weird that Propellerhead has become involved with Gadget, albeit in a very minor way, as Gadget is very similar to Reason. I, for one, would love to see more Reason REs released in Gadget.

Maybe a Reason Rack and store perhaps...

..and devs can sell their stuff on it...not sure if that’s possible tho...

• Making stuff Gadget compatible....kinda like Audiobus did

• @Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

The point was adding AUv3 support would make it unstable.

I’ve seen enough issues with UI scaling, sample-rate problems, crashes, things simply not working as expected with other hosts.
    Too many factors at play. I want to make music, not troubleshoot.
    Even Apple’s own GarageBand sometimes acts weird after adding third party stuff.

• edited August 2019

Yes, but adding AUv3 support on its own will not affect stability. It would be up to you if you wanted to add plugins. Most of the issues you mention should of been fixed or is known how to be fixed now by the plugin developers.

• edited August 2019

@Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

AUM is a mixer and not a DAW. You can't compare a mixer to a DAW. AUM has no sequencer, no timeline, and no midi/audio editing, not a DAW.

@Mark B said:
    Yes, but adding AUv3 support on its own will not affect stability. It would be up to you if you wanted to add plugins. Most of the issues you mention should of been fixed or is known how to be fixed now by the plugin developers.

Um... can't understand what you're saying.

• It’s obvious by now Korg will do something with AUv3, I welcome whatever they come up with. I’m squarely in the Gadgets as AU camp though.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Mark B said:

@R_2 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

+1!

AUM is a mixer and not a DAW. You can't compare a mixer to a DAW. AUM has no sequencer, no timeline, and no midi/audio editing, not a DAW.

@Mark B said:

Um... can't understand what you're saying.

None of the things you mention affect the stability of hosting AUv3. AUM does this in the same way (actually, much more completely) as a DAW

• edited August 2019

@klownshed said:
    @LucidMusicInc said

aside from Steinberg (THE INVENTOR OF VST) how many other big name DAW companies have embraced the AU system on IOS?

You could rephrase that as how many big name DAW companies other than Steinberg (and obviously Apple) have embraced iOS at all.

It’s not that they haven’t embraced auv3, they’re conspicuous by their absence.

It does give the indies a chance at being one of the major DAW companies of the future but so far they’ve fallen well short I think.

The indies are making some amazing plugins, they deserve a killer IOS DAW.

When the talented inventor of VST went AUv3 a few years ago that’s when I really knew AUv3 would be the standard on iOS. Vendors will come on board despite the dumb-ass protestations of a couple of random users 😁

• Another thing to consider is cross platform compatibility, one of Gadget’s strengths.
    Start a song on iPad and continue on iPhone. But some AUv3 don’t work on iPhone.

• edited August 2019

@Mark B said:

it affects how people perceive host app in general. In many cases plugin doesn't work in one host, it works in other hosts - but still it's fail on plugin side. Most of users doesn't see this, their logic is simple - "this works in host X, not in host Y, it means it's fault of host Y." But often this is not true. Coding is not that straightforward.

In current not ideal situation on iOS, hosting of AU plugins and maintaining compatibility with all kinds of plugins often by adding various per-plugin speciffic workarounds is seriously time consumimg task which holds back adding real useable festures - this exactly happens to NS2 developement for example.

I would rather see Korg adding to Gadget new interesting synth/fx or finally add serious limear sequencer than lost half of year or more by adding various kinds of workarounds for this AU plugin or that AU plugin...

Hosting of AU plugins is dirty job, you often lost hours and hours debugging just to found at the end that it's bug in plugin and you need to add some nasty worakroud to your code to make it compatible with that particular plugin, until it's dev fixes it..

So, i perfectly understand if Korg doesn't want add AU support into Gadget and in my opinion it's wise decision for avoiding lot of developement problems.

• yes,linear timeline,more master inserts (or master inserts AT ALL) und better FX (EQ mainly for me) is a wet dream.But's that's another story and belong's into the G2 thread,sorry.

• @R_2 said:
    Another thing to consider is cross platform compatibility, one of Gadget’s strengths.
    Start a song on iPad and continue on iPhone. But some AUv3 don’t work on iPhone.

That’s true

• @Mark B said:

Hosting AUs is not as trivial as you seem to think. Even building a solid AU host from scratch is not trivial. Altering a huge very stable app to host them will be a lot of work and almost certainly involve some rocky going.

The state of AU on iOS is still a bit messy per several major host developer.

I am not saying it can't be done but don't be surprised if there is a less than stable transitional period.

• Korg has not implemented (AU) in Gadget for a sound reason, either technical or commercial.

I imagine the commercial reason is that they want you to buy more Gadget IAPs to add as instruments, not other developers products. Fair enough.

The technical reason is probably stability.

It is like Apple not making GarageBand able to be in the input slot of AudioBus.

They have a vision and plan for their product and they are sticking to it. Again, fair enough.

• If Korg just did two things, I’d be perfectly happy even if AU support is never added:

• Ability to record from Audiobus/IAA input rather than just the mic and external interfaces.
    • AudioBus/IAA multi-track output.

That’s all that’s really needed at this point IMO. I doubt either is difficult, and I doubt either would negatively impact performance and stability.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    The motto at KORG is "assimilate or die, resistance is futile." Face it ppl if you're not happy with the product, don't spend money on it, don't use it, or deal with it and learn to enjoy it for what it is. It's simple for N00bs and people with creative drive and little patience for noodling and fiddling. I personally find AUs a curious novelty and some indie developers have some cool stuff but aside from Steinberg (THE INVENTOR OF VST) how many other big name DAW companies have embraced the AU system on IOS?

Wait for it...

NOBODY.

Korg give us pretty nice sounding toys to play with and actually if you're into commercial dance, the sounds provided are what you'd expect and there's more than an abundance of them. If Korg does release IOS AUs they'll probably sell it as a completely separate product like they have on the desktop platform.

What about Moog?

• edited August 2019

.. aside from Steinberg (THE INVENTOR OF VST) how many other big name DAW companies have embraced the AU system on IOS?

Wait for it...

NOBODY.

What about Moog?

I’d use a Moog Daw :smiley: :wink:

• edited August 2019

@maxwellhouser said:

What about Moog?

I’d use a Moog Daw :smiley: :wink:

Hm, just hope it would be optimalised better way than Model D and Model 15 :trollface: - both are eating significant amount of CPU (basically same like during they are playing) even if they are just sitting in project and playing nothing ..

• Korg gadget PRO coming soon ( I hope )

• Even if korg made its own effects we could buy and load up in gadget, that would be sweet.
    I love gadget, use it daily, but I gotta say the effects it comes with are more standard, everyday effects and nothing like they could be.
    Ultimately two things that would make korg gadget many times better..
    1 . Extend 16 bar limit to at least 48
    2. Allow for aufx to be inserted... Even if those effects need to be new korg effects... Bigger reverbs with shimmer even... The FB reverb dosent really sound good imo... We could use much better delays, and pitch shifting. The grain shift is a good one, I use that a lot.
    the workflow for create songs in gadget is pretty damn perfect tho, as is the over all design... I'm happy with the synths, not that I'm against it supporting auv3, but I can get by, but we deff need better effects.