Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• @Peter321 said:

@tja said:
    I really see few point in Korg Gadget Synths being AU, if that's the question.
    If you don't need multiple instances, or if you want a big functional, multi-page GUI, you are way better off with IAA instead!

IAA is going away. Apple is deprecating it in iOS13 which is a way to tell developers that support for IAA will eventually be removed from iOS.

We do not know when, but IAA is now officially a dead end - which is why this whole discussion started, since all of KORG's instruments are only IAA at the moment.

That does still not mean, that IAA may not be available in 10 years from now.
    Future will show this...

• @MistaG said:

This for me too. I rarely post here but lurk a lot. I LOVE the Korg synths, even iDS-10, but so rarely do they feature in anything that gets finishes as IAA is a real PITA compared to AUv3.

@ioue Yes, this, because it is painful to use, the Korg sounds do not end up in the final productions as much as they should,
    And because Gadget cannot host AUv3 FX, it doesn't get used to make final productions either.

• If Gadget got a linear mode and AUv3 hosting it would be a great DAW. The audio tracks just don’t work well in its current sequencer and individual clip launching would be cool. It could make a good Ableton alternative.

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

@brambos said:

@tja said:
    If you don't need multiple instances, or if you want a big functional, multi-page GUI, you are way better off with IAA instead!

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Even for big functional (?), multi page GUI plugins AUv3 is superior to IAA since it has painless state-saving, automatic host sync, and hassle-free MIDI setup. AUv3 can do almost anything IAA can do (with the sole exception of huge memory-gobbling sample stuff on lower-end gear) and makes everything easier for the user.

I have no problem with AU, but for several things, incl. "bigger" Synths with multiple pages and lots of controls or things like Xequence, I really prefer IAA.

Your own AU plug-ins are very small, so they don't have much need for a bigger GUI.

I also have few problems with, for example, the FabFilter plug-ins.
    They work fine as AU.

Things like state saving play not such a big role for me.
    And AudioBus can often handle this very well for IAA.

And face it, there are many Apps that will never be "updated" to AU.
    I would strongly prefer not to loose them!

We will see, how long IAA can be used on iOS.

• Gadget would be best to host a AU gadget. I would love to see Beathawk fit nicely in my walled garden. And AU fx would be dreamy.

I mainly use GarageBand when I need to mix all my au’s together. I’ll throw bm3 in there after the supposed update.

Gadget has been the most stable just like Beathawk cause it is walled and I like that. But I think an AU gadget could add another dimension to gadget plus audio routing with a proper editor and I wouldn’t go anywhere else.

• If korg synths were au , and if gadget hosted au , would both be great.
    Monopoly needs to be an auv3 cuz it's a pain to route midi to for starters...

If gadget could host au effects and othrr synths inside gadget I would be very happy with that as well, as gadget is a great host. It's simple, clean, well laid out, allows for a lot of control, saves nice... Shares amongst devices... It's my fav mobile daw for quick creating and organizing,but without being able to use my non korg effects and fav non korg synths I get bored ..... That's just the truth unfortunately

I think we deff need both to happen

• It’s all about options. Gadget should be an AUv3 host for instrument and effect plugins, and all the Gadget instruments should be AUv3 for use in other hosts; maybe under a Gadget umbrella app, similar to the Rozeta suite.

• edited July 2019

I believe Gadget to be the most stable DAWish app and we all know that’s because it is walled. Same reason Android, Windows tablets/phones will never approach iOS. For this reason, Gadget should stay walled.

However, the individual instruments must go AU @ioue for the same reason Korg soft synths are available as plugins in any major daw. It’s essential for Korg to remain relevant on iOS.

So to clarify, I believe all korg instruments should be AU. Gadget should remain its own stable ecosystem. Rewriting it to be a AU host will take forever and make it unstable like most AU hosts are because there is currently no AU documentation.

If Gadget hosts AU synths and AU effects, ignorant users will constantly overextend RAM and/or CPU and Gadget will crash....guess who will get blamed and bashed? Yup. Korg.

Just the instruments please 🙏🏾

• @ioue said:
    Well, I'm here, so that I know many people here want AUv3 support.
    Could you let me know what AUv3 host are you using? GarageBand, AUM or Cubasis?

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

1. Aum, NanoStudio2, Cubasis
    2. Gadget as an AU3 synth isn’t necessary, using the generators like ielectribe, iMonopoly, etc as AU3s is
      Cheers! 😺🎛🚀
  • @WillieNegus said:
    I believe Gadget to be the most stable DAWish app and we all know that’s because it is walled. Same reason Android, Windows tablets/phones will never approach iOS. For this reason, Gadget should stay walled.

However, the individual instruments must go AU @ioue for the same reason Korg soft synths are available as plugins in any major daw. It’s essential for Korg to remain relevant on iOS.

So to clarify, I believe all korg instruments should be AU. Gadget should remain its own stable ecosystem. Rewriting it to be a AU host will take forever and make it unstable like most AU hosts are because there is currently no AU documentation.

If Gadget hosts AU synths and AU effects, ignorant users will constantly overextend RAM and/or CPU and Gadget will crash....guess who will get blamed and bashed? Yup. Korg.

Just the instruments please 🙏🏾

+1
    Gadget’s cpu load/battery usage is already all over the place. Don’t need 3rd party stuff making this worse. See enough troubleshooting in threads about others hosts.
    I only work in Gadget, its workflow helps me focus, so I personally don’t need Korg synths as AUv3. But can see why others do and it would increase sales for Korg.

• @ioue said:

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

Thank you for being here asking for feedback!

1) I mostly use Auria Pro, AUM, Cubasis

2) Gadget as a AUv3 multisynth+sequencer would be absolutely awesome, but I’m not sure it’s feasible given the AU memory constrains.

I believe that what most users are demanding as a minimum is AUv3 support for Module, Odyssei, iM1, iMonoPoly, iMS-20, iPoliysix, iWavestation, etc.

Secondly, it would be great that individual gadgets were available as AUv3 plugins, similar to the desktop.

• I suspect Gadgets running in Gadget run more CPU efficiently than if Gadgets will when run as AU in other hosts.

I think people that run a lot of Gadgets at once will be unpleasantly surprised if Gadget as semi-walled garden goes AU. I think people overlook the benefits of Gadget as an efficient host.

• edited July 2019

Delightful drum instruments/romplers are scarce in AUv3 right now...so Recife, Tokyo, Gladstone, Amsterdam etc. would be way way way cool

• I'm finishing new tracks every week. I'm gonna get some hate for saying this but it's not the technology that's holding you guys back, it's your preconceived notions of what's possible. If plugin workflows is what you absolutely need, get on the desktop and get the Korg Gadget VSTs. I'd rather see the developers at Korg continue to work on what's needed in the app itself, from improvements to the song arranger, to new instruments or effects etc... Not targeting anyone individually and I hope others can do me the same courtesy. It's just an exchange of ideas.

• Here we go with the Tired old ‘ya doin it wrong’ shit. lol

• edited July 2019

@tja said:
    Future will show this...

True, but it means it’s an abandoned format that will no longer be developed. It’s Apple saying that AUv3 is the future of audio plugins on iOS. We may have IAA for 10 years or it may be gone in 3, no one knows, but AUv3 is the way forward.

• @Peter321 said:

@tja said:
    Future will show this...

True, but it means it’s an abandoned format that will no longer be developed. It’s Apple saying that AUv3 is the future of audio plugins on iOS. We may have IAA for 10 years or it may be gone in 3, no one knows, but AUv3 is the way forward.

If we look at OpenGL on macOS which has since long been 'deprecated' but the apps that use OpenGL still work as long as Apple provides a runtime OpenGL libraries and/or 'conversion routines'(ie. OpenGL -> Metal).

One of the main gripes some have against AUv3 is the lack of full 'full screen' support but there's really nothing that stops Apple from allowing AUv3's to use the 'full' screen with a close box in one of the screen corners to exit fullscreen and this is where I feel AUv3's will go.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with IAA apps having to keep track of in which order they have to be started in order for connections to work being one of the most annoying 'features' and zombies and memory leaks hot on the tail...

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to what iPadOS and iOS13 will bring :)

Using external sequencer with Gadget might be one solution but it's a pita to automate the Gadgets using external sequencers as the 'tweaks' played on Gadgets can only be recorded in Gadget...

• @ioue gadget to host Auv3 Audio, midi and XX plugins and gadgets to have auv3 please!

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @ioue gadget to host Auv3 Audio, midi and XX plugins and gadgets to have auv3 please!

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

The more of us that feed ides thru the proper channel the more likely it is to pop up on the table for implementation discussions :)

• @ioue

Would love Montpelier, Lisbon, Abu Dabi, Lexington and Memphis as AUV3.

• edited July 2019

@ioue said:

ious, Thank you so much for posting to ask this question!

I think iOS as a music creation platform is moving towards AUv3. Many music App developers have already added AUv3 extensions to their existing applications.

It would seem logical that KORG would also want to update their range of standalone iOS synthesizer Apps to also include AUv3 functionality.

KORG adding AUv3 would be very popular with the users of KORG synthesizer Apps, and I believe it would also be a valuable PR decision for reinforcing the KORG name as a front runner within the music creation world.

To address your question about Gadget behaving as an AUv3 synth.

I'm not sure granting AUv3 access to the individual "Gadgets" within the Gadget DAW would be a wise first step. Many people Might love that. But I believe many of the Gadgets are designed to function best within the Gadget DAW environment. Attempting to reengineer the entirety of the Gadget DAW might run contrary to the category of purpose for which Gadget was designed to fulfill.

However, if I might make a suggestion regarding Gadget...

I believe a feature to consider for adding to Gadget. Would be a new Gadget that is designed specifically to host AUv3 (Sound source) Apps. I'd envision this new Gadget as being able provide for allowing the user to load the "AUv3 Gadget" into the Gadget DAW, and grant the user the capability to select their choice of AUv3 from within the "AUv3 hosting Gadget". The window for that Gadget would then contain the loaded AUv3.

The "AUv3 hosting Gadget" would record Audio from the AUv3 into the Gadget Track. This would allow the track to remain playable even when the AUv3 is no longer loaded into the "AUv3 hosting Gadget".

I consider the "AUv3 hosting Gadget" to be like the Zurich audio recording Gadget with added AUv3 hosting capability, replacing the Zurich UI with the AUv3 UI, while the AUv3 is loaded.

Thank you kindly for listening. :)

• Just give me iWavestation as an AUv3 and I'll be happy... :)

• @ioue said:

1. I use Nanostudio 2
    2. Individual Gadgets as AUv3 synths would be great. I love gadget but the sequencer is not my cup of tea, so at the moment I use it for loops and export to Nanostudio.
  • @lasselu said:
    Just give me iWavestation as an AUv3 and I'll be happy... :)

iM1, iMS-20, iMono/Poly, iPolySix & Odyssei would be nice too ;)

I mean at least the keyboard in Cubasis has Y-Axis velocity which all the Korg apps lack making dynamic performance without external controller tedious...

• One thing I love about this forum is how many people are business, development and music making experts that know what we all want and how we should all be using stuff. We should all rejoice at having those people looking out for us. Simply amazing !

• @ioue said:

Hi @ioue. I use Audiobus 3 as my host and would love it if the Korg apps behaved as AUv3 synths and am less concerned about Gadget being an AUv3 host itself.

Also, I know this is off topic but I will add that I'm sure many people here would appreciate it if Gadget would respond to PC messages to loading song files and also in selecting patches within individual gadgets.

Thanks!

• I think having the various standalone Korg synth apps as AUs in other hosts is the most obvious need.

If Gadget simply had individual audio outputs per Gadget track, I don’t think I would need to have them as AUs in other hosts. Gadget already has really great MIDI features, and with individual audio outs it could function as amazing sound module app. This seems like it would be much easier than updating Gadget to an AU host, or making Gadgets into AUs.

Yeah, I know the IAA death panic is setting in. Just make sure it can output to Audiobus and it should be fine.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    One thing I love about this forum is how many people are business, development and music making experts that know what we all want and how we should all be using stuff. We should all rejoice at having those people looking out for us. Simply amazing !

:D

• @AndyPlankton said:
    One thing I love about this forum is how many people are business, development and music making experts that know what we all want and how we should all be using stuff. We should all rejoice at having those people looking out for us. Simply amazing !

Oh yeah?
    Well...
    I love how you be an expert on who the other Forum members are!
    :D B)

• @ioue said:

I wish I could use my iM1 in Gadget but it is a watered down version so I am forced to use it in Nanostudio2, Cubasis and Garageband, but then I can only use one instance when I would like to use multiples