Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@LinearLineman said:
    So what, if anything can you do about it, @ioue? I mean, it's not as tho anything said here is startlingly new. It might be better if you would explain why Korg does not wish to implement AU. Certainly, if AudioKit can do it on D-1 Korg has the means to do it as well. To say you are here and set us to Knocking ourselves out trying to convince you of this or that... well, what is that called, again, in forum land?

@ioue please correct me if I am wrong....
    I think Korg do want to do AUv3...they were one of the first hardware manufacturers to embrace VST.
    They have said before that for them it is no small task...the main reason being that most of the Gadgets and Synths use bitmapped backgrounds which causes no end of issues with scalable UI, it can scale x1 x2 x3 etc, but aspect ratio (apologies if that is tech jargon for some) is a real problem. They could do a half baked attempt, but this is Korg, quality counts.
    JUCE which is the framework Gadget uses does have AUv3 I think, so they are dependent on that too.
    I feel that adding AUv3 hosting would be easier for them to implement, but what most seem to want is the Gadgets as AUv3’s which is the harder and bigger task, not only technically, but from a marketing perspective too, all those graphics and images on websites that won’t look like they did before due to new UI...replacing them all with new ones.
    Also worth noting here, legacy collection, people have been complaining about tiny UI on modern desktops....same reason...bitmapped UI...

You are kidding right ?
    You are suggesting that Korg (one of the biggest music hardware manufacturers in history) are struggling to port to AUv3 because they cant find a designer to remake their UIs in different sizes and aspect ratios
    Complete nonsense, it would take any good designer a couple of days to do first drafts of the entire line.
    It has nothing at all to do with bitmaps, it is the same as any other business cost/reward.

• @Turntablist said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@LinearLineman said:
    So what, if anything can you do about it, @ioue? I mean, it's not as tho anything said here is startlingly new. It might be better if you would explain why Korg does not wish to implement AU. Certainly, if AudioKit can do it on D-1 Korg has the means to do it as well. To say you are here and set us to Knocking ourselves out trying to convince you of this or that... well, what is that called, again, in forum land?

I think Korg do want to do AUv3...they were one of the first hardware manufacturers to embrace VST.
    They have said before that for them it is no small task...the main reason being that most of the Gadgets and Synths use bitmapped backgrounds which causes no end of issues with scalable UI, it can scale x1 x2 x3 etc, but aspect ratio (apologies if that is tech jargon for some) is a real problem. They could do a half baked attempt, but this is Korg, quality counts.
    JUCE which is the framework Gadget uses does have AUv3 I think, so they are dependent on that too.
    I feel that adding AUv3 hosting would be easier for them to implement, but what most seem to want is the Gadgets as AUv3’s which is the harder and bigger task, not only technically, but from a marketing perspective too, all those graphics and images on websites that won’t look like they did before due to new UI...replacing them all with new ones.
    Also worth noting here, legacy collection, people have been complaining about tiny UI on modern desktops....same reason...bitmapped UI...

You are kidding right ?
    You are suggesting that Korg (one of the biggest music hardware manufacturers in history) are struggling to port to AUv3 because they cant find a designer to remake their UIs in different sizes and aspect ratios
    Complete nonsense, it would take any good designer a couple of days to do first drafts of the entire line.
    It has nothing at all to do with bitmaps, it is the same as any other business cost/reward.

Ok

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Turntablist said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@LinearLineman said:

You are kidding right ?

Ok

:D
    I see what you meant in that comment yesterday.

• Just think if korg updates its sampler and allowed time stretching option and also added a few things to each gadget to make it an upgrade that 2 should of been I don’t think we have this conversation. If it can modify its timeline for song edit and mainly add an option to allow audio routing from taipai to Abu Dhabi that would be amazing. Also make more loop options I know that can’t be to hard we’ve been screaming that for years.

I like the box. Keeps me focused. That’s why I would go with an AU fx gadget first but if I can’t get an au gadget then give us a super sampler so I can use my out of the box sounds in a real way.

• @espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

AUv3 host: AUM
    Gadget as AUv3 synth instead of host: No

To clarify, I am not saying that those who do want to see the entire Gadget app inside an AUM channel are wrong. I cannot read their minds so it's not for me to judge.

It's just that I personally do not need to see the entire Gadget app squeezed into one channel of AUM. However, I would love to see iMS-20 and iMonoPoy as AUv3 synths. I suppose at least one of the drum machine Gadgets would also be useful as AUv3.

I tried exporting MIDI from Gadget and loading it into Xequence 2 but got some strange results. Perhaps I just selected the wrong export option in Gadget?

It would be nice start a composition in Gadget, then export MIDI to Xequence 2 for detailed MIDI edits, while still having access to my favorite Gadget sounds (as loaded into AUM). At present, I have to substitute other synth apps for the Gadgets in AUM, after moving MIDI data from Gadget to Xequence 2

I use that workflow and have no problem controlling Gadget from Xequence and sending output to AUM.

I'm referring to exporting and importing MIDI files between Gadget and Xequence.

I think you're talking about realtime MIDI which is different.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

To clarify, I am not saying that those who do want to see the entire Gadget app inside an AUM channel are wrong. I cannot read their minds so it's not for me to judge.

It's just that I personally do not need to see the entire Gadget app squeezed into one channel of AUM. However, I would love to see iMS-20 and iMonoPoy as AUv3 synths. I suppose at least one of the drum machine Gadgets would also be useful as AUv3.

I tried exporting MIDI from Gadget and loading it into Xequence 2 but got some strange results. Perhaps I just selected the wrong export option in Gadget?

It would be nice start a composition in Gadget, then export MIDI to Xequence 2 for detailed MIDI edits, while still having access to my favorite Gadget sounds (as loaded into AUM). At present, I have to substitute other synth apps for the Gadgets in AUM, after moving MIDI data from Gadget to Xequence 2

I use that workflow and have no problem controlling Gadget from Xequence and sending output to AUM.

I'm referring to exporting and importing MIDI files between Gadget and Xequence.

I didn't realize you wanted to reimport into Gadget. Sorry.

• @espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

No worries. And no, I don't want to reimport MIDI into Gadget. Just want to do what I said above.

I have indeed tried the demo Gadget projects in X2, in which X2 is used to sequence Gadget, which is a neat idea, and I think that is what you are talking about.

• edited July 2019

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...

It still ain’t AUv3 compatible and it never will be, no matter how many times it’s mentioned.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

No worries. And no, I don't want to reimport MIDI into Gadget. Just want to do what I said above.

I have indeed tried the demo Gadget projects in X2, in which X2 is used to sequence Gadget, which is a neat idea, and I think that is what you are talking about.

What you are talking about, I think, is what I was talking about:

• Start composing in Gadget
    • export MIDI to Xequence
    • continue composing in Xequence with Xequence playing through the Gadget instruments that started composing with
    • Capture the final mix in AUM (by having Gadget play its output into AUM)

It sounds like you might have not set Gadget up correctly with Xequence. My GADGET Midi exports play identically from Xequence as long as you configure Gadget to map Xequence outputs to the original instruments.

• @R_2 said:

>

:trollface:

Not the earworm I wanted, but the earworm I needed.

• I mostly use AUM, ApeMatrix, NanoStudio2 and BM3. I don’t have Gadget and probably never will, as I see it as a walled-off moneypit, though I know many really love it and I’m missing out, etc., etc. I have iMonopoly, Oddesei and iElectribe. I wish the first two were AU - cool sounds, but I rarely use them. iElectribe is an environment, so should stay as is.

• @ALB said:
    I mostly use AUM, ApeMatrix, NanoStudio2 and BM3. I don’t have Gadget and probably never will, as I see it as a walled-off moneypit, though I know many really love it and I’m missing out, etc., etc. I have iMonopoly, Oddesei and iElectribe. I wish the first two were AU - cool sounds, but I rarely use them. iElectribe is an environment, so should stay as is.

I mostly like it for the large choice of Gadgets/sounds, and use it as a sound module, doing Midi in another app.
    I don’t have any other Korg apps except iKaosillator.
    Since you have most of the Korg standalone synths already, I would think you aren’t missing out by not having Gadget.

• @espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

• continue composing in Xequence with Xequence playing through the Gadget instruments that started composing with

It sounds like you might have not set Gadget up correctly with Xequence. My GADGET Midi exports play identically from Xequence as long as you configure Gadget to map Xequence outputs to the original instruments.

This is why I want individual Gadget audio outs, so I can do this, but do more than just record a stereo mix in AUM. I want to use better FX on the individual tracks, but it is such a hassle to get separate tracks if you sequence outside of Gadget.

• @CracklePot said:

@ALB said:
    I mostly use AUM, ApeMatrix, NanoStudio2 and BM3. I don’t have Gadget and probably never will, as I see it as a walled-off moneypit, though I know many really love it and I’m missing out, etc., etc. I have iMonopoly, Oddesei and iElectribe. I wish the first two were AU - cool sounds, but I rarely use them. iElectribe is an environment, so should stay as is.

I mostly like it for the large choice of Gadgets/sounds, and use it as a sound module, doing Midi in another app.
    I don’t have any other Korg apps except iKaosillator.
    Since you have most of the Korg standalone synths already, I would think you aren’t missing out by not having Gadget.

Good to know.

• @CracklePot said:
    This is why I want individual Gadget audio outs, so I can do this, but do more than just record a stereo mix in AUM. I want to use better FX on the individual tracks, but it is such a hassle to get separate tracks if you sequence outside of Gadget.

Absolutely agree!

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

Yes, sounds like pretty much the same workflow. Using X2 to play Gadget using the demo project works great for me too - this is your 3rd step above.

However, the step on which I stumble is the 2nd one, bolded above. There is no doubt I am doing something wrong when I export MIDI out of Gadget.

I'm sure I will learn the correct way to do it someday. I would also have to learn how to set up a Gadget project to respond to midi from X2 just like the demo projects. I'm just not motivated right now to learn both of those things. I might be after I finish my Gadget song. I do know I am not the only person who started a song without finishing it.

For the time being, I am putting more energy into composing new songs in Xequence 2 instead of Gadget.

• @tja said:
    And on the question of AU vs IAA in general, there seem to be some bunch of people who >just for the sake of it want Apps to be AU, even of there is no reason at all.

My biggest reason for wanting apps to be AU is because of sync. It is much simpler and better with AU.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

Yes, sounds like pretty much the same workflow. Using X2 to play Gadget using the demo project works great for me too - this is your 3rd step above.

However, the step on which I stumble is the 2nd one, bolded above. There is no doubt I am doing something wrong when I export MIDI out of Gadget.

I'm sure I will learn the correct way to do it someday. I would also have to learn how to set up a Gadget project to respond to midi from X2 just like the demo projects. I'm just not motivated right now to learn both of those things. I might be after I finish my Gadget song. I do know I am not the only person who started a song without finishing it.

For the time being, I am putting more energy into composing new songs in Xequence 2 instead of Gadget.

It is pretty straightforward. Takes about 2 minutes.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

It is pretty straightforward. Takes about 2 minutes.

I'm sure it is, and I just happen to be missing something.

I appreciate your attention and eagerness to help me with Gadget, but would you please give me a few months? I'm not using Gadget right now and would prefer to revisit it later.

• As a (former) heavy user of Gadget for the first two years (bought everything for it), I've since stopped using it completely. Lack of Au3 is a deal breaker.

Korg is losing money and bleeding users by keeping Au3 out. I'm perfectly happy having switched over to Cubasis and BM3, so Korg can keep right on staying in their little bubble for all I care..... BUT, if they were to support Au3, it would be enough to bring me and my money back. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but again, I'm agnostic and will use whatever works for my needs.

• FOA, I really appreciate your inputs. There are various opinions here ;)

I cannot say "we will start from XX!", but our team will make a discussion to step forward about AUv3.

• edited July 2019

@ioue said:
    FOA, I really appreciate your inputs. There are various opinions here ;)

I cannot say "we will start from XX!", but our team will make a discussion to step forward about AUv3.

Not matter what you decide Just acknowledging AUv3 and engaging us on this issue is very much appreciated. 👍

• @ioue said:

Sounds great. Especially if you start with Odessei, Module and ims-20 😉

• @WillieNegus said:

@ioue said:

And for me the order would be iM1, iWavestation & iMono/Poly ;)

But somehow I still long for a proper keyboard/pad-sampler/re-sampler Gadget with synthesis capabilities(per pad if pad-mode is used) similar to Wolfsburg. So this would be like a 'merger' of features in WolfsBurg, Bilbao and Vancouver with added sample-editing capabilities.

But it's good to hear that things are moving in Korg Land :)

• @ioue said:

I think that discussion wold be great for both korgs future On iOS and and iOS as a whole

• edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@WillieNegus said:

@ioue said:

But somehow I still long for a proper keyboard/pad-sampler/re-sampler Gadget with synthesis capabilities(per pad if pad-mode is used) similar to Wolfsburg. So this would be like a 'merger' of features in WolfsBurg, Bilbao and Vancouver with added sample-editing capabilities.

I actually like this wish list better but I was trying not to be greedy.lol. iWAVESTATION is my current Korg fav but for whatever reason I imagine it’ll be hard to make AU. Also, if Korg makes a proper sampler Gadget will probably become my exclusive workstation.

• @Samu said:

Another +1 for a proper sampler in Gadget.

• @ioue said:

Thanks for your time and for listening, it’s appreciated