Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• @CracklePot said:
    I think having the various standalone Korg synth apps as AUs in other hosts is the most obvious need.

If Gadget simply had individual audio outputs per Gadget track, I don’t think I would need to have them as AUs in other hosts. Gadget already has really great MIDI features, and with individual audio outs it could function as amazing sound module app. This seems like it would be much easier than updating Gadget to an AU host, or making Gadgets into AUs.

Yeah, I know the IAA death panic is setting in. Just make sure it can output to Audiobus and it should be fine.

That does sound a lot simpler doesn’t it. I wonder how Gadget cpu/battery consumption would compare to hosting individual synths in bm3/NS2.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    One thing I love about this forum is how many people are business, development and music making experts that know what we all want and how we should all be using stuff. We should all rejoice at having those people looking out for us. Simply amazing !

I bow to your superior intellect. Your comment went above my head. Maybe I missed something. @ioue asked some questions, in a market research kind of way, I thought we were doing an alright job of answering them.

• edited July 2019

So what, if anything can you do about it, @ioue? I mean, it's not as tho anything said here is startlingly new. It might be better if you would explain why Korg does not wish to implement AU. Certainly, if AudioKit can do it on D-1 Korg has the means to do it as well. To say you are here and set us to Knocking ourselves out trying to convince you of this or that... well, what is that called, again, in forum land?

• edited July 2019

@CracklePot
    @Beathoven said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    One thing I love about this forum is how many people are business, development and music making experts that know what we all want and how we should all be using stuff. We should all rejoice at having those people looking out for us. Simply amazing !

I bow to your superior intellect. Your comment went above my head. Maybe I missed something. @ioue asked some questions, in a market research kind of way, I thought we were doing an alright job of answering them.

Apologies if my words were ambiguous...I applaud @ioue for asking for the input, and personally I really do appreciate everyone chipping in with what they do want from potential AUv3 functionality for Gadget and Korg synths.
    What is not cool is people saying don’t do what others are asking for because it is not needed, or people are asking for it because they don’t know what they are doing. If people are taking the time to post about it, they are asking for it for a reason and we should all respect that.
    Someone even suggested that users will break Gadget (and any other AU host) by over stressing CPU or memory....disrespectful to both users and developers alike imho.
    Anyway, it’s Friday night, I have music to make and alcohol to consume.

:) B)

• edited July 2019

For me:

AUv3 host: AUM
    Gadget as AUv3 synth instead of host: No

To clarify, I am not saying that those who do want to see the entire Gadget app inside an AUM channel are wrong. I cannot read their minds so it's not for me to judge.

It's just that I personally do not need to see the entire Gadget app squeezed into one channel of AUM. However, I would love to see iMS-20 and iMonoPoy as AUv3 synths. I suppose at least one of the drum machine Gadgets would also be useful as AUv3.

I tried exporting MIDI from Gadget and loading it into Xequence 2 but got some strange results. Perhaps I just selected the wrong export option in Gadget?

It would be nice start a composition in Gadget, then export MIDI to Xequence 2 for detailed MIDI edits, while still having access to my favorite Gadget sounds (as loaded into AUM). At present, I have to substitute other synth apps for the Gadgets in AUM, after moving MIDI data from Gadget to Xequence 2

• @LinearLineman said:
    So what, if anything can you do about it, @ioue? I mean, it's not as tho anything said here is startlingly new. It might be better if you would explain why Korg does not wish to implement AU. Certainly, if AudioKit can do it on D-1 Korg has the means to do it as well. To say you are here and set us to Knocking ourselves out trying to convince you of this or that... well, what is that called, again, in forum land?

@ioue please correct me if I am wrong....
    I think Korg do want to do AUv3...they were one of the first hardware manufacturers to embrace VST.
    They have said before that for them it is no small task...the main reason being that most of the Gadgets and Synths use bitmapped backgrounds which causes no end of issues with scalable UI, it can scale x1 x2 x3 etc, but aspect ratio (apologies if that is tech jargon for some) is a real problem. They could do a half baked attempt, but this is Korg, quality counts.
    JUCE which is the framework Gadget uses does have AUv3 I think, so they are dependent on that too.
    I feel that adding AUv3 hosting would be easier for them to implement, but what most seem to want is the Gadgets as AUv3’s which is the harder and bigger task, not only technically, but from a marketing perspective too, all those graphics and images on websites that won’t look like they did before due to new UI...replacing them all with new ones.
    Also worth noting here, legacy collection, people have been complaining about tiny UI on modern desktops....same reason...bitmapped UI...

• @ioue thank you for asking about what we’d like to see from Korg. I stopped purchasing Korg apps a couple of years ago when other developers started to support AU. I’ve found IAA to frequently be very problematic and enjoy the automatic state savings plus multiple instances of AUv3 apps.

I will start buying Korg apps once again when they’re available as AUv3. I would also appreciate a way to host AUv3 apps inside Gadget as well. I do not feel the need to have Gadget hosted inside an AUv3 host.

• edited July 2019

@ioue said:
    Well, I'm here, so that I know many people here want AUv3 support.
    Could you let me know what AUv3 host are you using? GarageBand, AUM or Cubasis?

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

1) Just make and release one of your instruments as AUv3.
    2) Stand back and observe the feeding frenzy.
    3) Retrieve your jaw from the floor
    4) Back to step 1 with another instrument

• @realdawei said:

@ioue said:

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

+1

But therein lies a dilemma. Do the AUv3 instruments become new apps. or available as IAPs? At what cost to users who have purchased the original instruments? Some folks complained that the recent Module IAP enhancements should have been included in the original. I like the IAP OPTION. I would certainly be willing to pay for IAP AUv3 updates to all of the Korg instruments I have purchased because it would make them that much more useful.

• @Dham said:

@realdawei said:

@ioue said:

+1

But therein lies a dilemma. Do the AUv3 instruments become new apps. or available as IAPs? At what cost to users who have purchased the original instruments? Some folks complained that the recent Module IAP enhancements should have been included in the original. I like the IAP OPTION. I would certainly be willing to pay for IAP AUv3 updates to all of the Korg instruments I have purchased because it would make them that much more useful.

Gotta be new apps

• Also I would like to see some of the gadgets in Volca format...

• I bet we never hear from korg again, maybe they own ampify too 🤣

• @Dham said:

@realdawei said:

@ioue said:

+1

Many people spend more on lunch than the average cost of many of these instruments. I tend to tune out of pricing discussions on this board because I find them absurd.

• >

So in short, I wish that Gadget was AUv3 Host as well as Gadgets being AUv3 instruments, with AUv3 Instruments as the priority.

Feel the same, for similar reasons as that whole post. There’s a lot of options to bust out a tracks on ios nowadays. Thinking about it, I’ve never completed a track in Gadget and do all the time with other apps/workflows. Its great in that its stable and has some good sounds, its just too claustrophobic for me... quit getting Gadgets/opening it around the time of Kamata

• @ioue said:

I use Gadget standalone or trigger it from Xequence or other MIDI sequencers. I like to see improvements to Gadget as a standalone, and for it to remain reliable, so I'm not asking for resources to be channeled to AUv3, however, if Korg must stay competitive, do what you need to do. I can update or not.

iM1, Module, iMono/Poly, iWavestation, Odyssei... as AU's would be nice, certainly as free updates.

• @ioue said:

Beatmaker3

• Beatmaker 3, sometimes AUM, sometimes Audiobus.

• @Dham said:

@realdawei said:

@ioue said:

+1

I believe a paid IAP for the AUv3 extension would be a very reasonable approach , but maybe there are some technical reasons that favor the release of a brand new app.
    But no matter what they do a lot of people will complain, even if it’s free they will say that AU support should have been included two years earlier...

• @GovernorSilver said:
    For me:

AUv3 host: AUM
    Gadget as AUv3 synth instead of host: No

To clarify, I am not saying that those who do want to see the entire Gadget app inside an AUM channel are wrong. I cannot read their minds so it's not for me to judge.

It's just that I personally do not need to see the entire Gadget app squeezed into one channel of AUM. However, I would love to see iMS-20 and iMonoPoy as AUv3 synths. I suppose at least one of the drum machine Gadgets would also be useful as AUv3.

I tried exporting MIDI from Gadget and loading it into Xequence 2 but got some strange results. Perhaps I just selected the wrong export option in Gadget?

It would be nice start a composition in Gadget, then export MIDI to Xequence 2 for detailed MIDI edits, while still having access to my favorite Gadget sounds (as loaded into AUM). At present, I have to substitute other synth apps for the Gadgets in AUM, after moving MIDI data from Gadget to Xequence 2

I use that workflow and have no problem controlling Gadget from Xequence and sending output to AUM.

• Long time lurker (a couple years I think), first time posting...

Anyway, AU hosting and Drambo have been the two things I have anticipated the most.

For me, and the way I work, I can’t get into the app switching work flow. I love AUM and AU, but again trying to sequence things or write finished pieces seems to leave me cold.

With that, I do like the sequencer in Gadget, could it use more... absolutely (i’m an Elektron guy, you get used to a few perks). But I think with sound quality of AU’s with the sequencer of Gadget, it seems to me to be a win/win for music making on the go. YMMV.

• edited July 2019

Edit: Volcas would be cool

• Welcome @SanMateo. We all wish your iOS dreams come true!

• @ioue said:

If I could make one request, it would be to make iMono/Poly (one of the best iOS synths!) an Audio Unit!

That would be amazing. And then finally the arpeggiator will sync up with Ableton Link Sync! :hushed:

• edited July 2019

@ioue if I were the software architect that had to make the decision whether to make gadget an auv3 host or make the synths auv3 I would probably choose both.
    Why?
    Because if I make gadget auv3 host I would want my internal synths to be auv3 as well. If gadget were auv3 host buy internal synths were not auv3 I would have 2 technique for hosting synths which would lead to two sources of bugs instead of only one.
    If I chose to only make the synths auv3 then I have the problem of making them work both inside gadget and inside an auv3 host.
    So from a software architech point of view I would make gadget auv3 host and all the synths auv3.

That descision would probably please everybody :smile:

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As long as Gadget is lacking good mixing and midi editing / arranging features the desire to use the sounds with more capable hosts will be there.

As an example the 'Audio Tracks' in Gadget feel like a 'quick and dirty' re-application of the 'freeze function' :)
    (Ie. Gadget has always been able to play audio-tracks (ie. frozen tracks) but not record them).

• @LinearLineman said:
    Welcome @SanMateo. We all wish your iOS dreams come true!

Ha! Thanks, it’s been a long ride so far but I have faith that these things will continue to fruition.

• @Samu said:
    As long as Gadget is lacking good mixing and midi editing / arranging features the desire to use the sounds with more capable hosts will be there.

>

With that I feel like Gadget sounds very much Gadget. Not to date myself but in the same way the MC-505 did. You can spot it on a track a mile away. I feel like (while it does sound better than the old 505) you can hear it without anyone telling you its Gadget, that is to say very in the box.

• @SanMateo said:

With that I feel like Gadget sounds very much Gadget. Not to date myself but in the same way the MC-505 did. You can spot it on a track a mile away. I feel like (while it does sound better than the old 505) you can hear it without anyone telling you its Gadget, that is to say very in the box.

That is why we need the option to use 'other' complementary instruments and effects :)
    And well, if we just could use user samples with all the Gadgets things could change a bit.

After all the 'Gadget/Korg Sound' is largely defined by the factory samples and effects...

• @Samu 100% agree.