Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• I have an idea...

It might be less work for Korg if they make a brand new AUv3 App that does nothing but host the existing Gadgets. In other words, the Gadget DAW with all the DAW parts removed.

It would be like an AUv3 version of Korg Module, but instead of playing the Modules, the user can select Gadgets using the same Gadget selecting interface used by the Gadget DAW.

Because the Gadget DAW already provides access to the Korg Module sounds, the new AUv3 Gadget App could hypothetically have all the previously "Gagetized" Korg synths AND the Korg Module sounds.

This solution might provide Korg with an income incentive, because every iOS Korg fan will probably want to buy the new App. It also likely creates an additional revenue stream for Korg by providing an additional iOS application that users can make in-app-purchases with, of new Gadgets, and the Module sound packs.

All previous owners of IAP of Gadgets, and Module sound packs only need to buy the new App to use them all as AUv3's.

I know very little about App programing, but I'm guessing such a new App might be able to utilize code from the Gadget DAW. So perhaps it might be a more economical way to bring most of the Korg iOS synths to AUv3, if they can do by focusing all the work on just one new App....

• Nah, bring us iKronos with the HD-1 engine and let us use a chain of AUv3’s (instruments and effects) as one of the sources for sampling :)

• Thanks for stopping by @ioue
    I'm likely in the minority but I'd rather work exclusively within Gadget. If Gadget could host AUV3s that would be great. But what would be even better (for me) is if the MIDI clip editor had loop brackets that allowed you to loop clips that weren't a multiple of a bar. If Korg did that, I'd probably delete 3/4ths of all my apps and use Korg exclusively.

• Gadget as a host for all types of AUv3 would be just the ticket

• All hands for a proper sampler!!! Focus there first while au being in the works. Combine Recife and Vancouver with proper time stretch with an awesome file directory. I’ll be set for my main daw.

• AUv3 in Gadget will never happen.. Korg want you to buy Gadgets, why buy them if you have better sounding AUv3 synths and samplers??

• @SlowwFloww said:
    AUv3 in Gadget will never happen.. Korg want you to buy Gadgets, why buy them if you have better sounding AUv3 synths and samplers??

I have them all already!

Now add value to Gadget please and add AUv3...

....pretty please 😎

• edited July 2019

@DaveMagoo said:

@SlowwFloww said:
    AUv3 in Gadget will never happen.. Korg want you to buy Gadgets, why buy them if you have better sounding AUv3 synths and samplers??

I have them all already!

Now add value to Gadget please and add AUv3...

....pretty please 😎

Support for hosting AUv3 Instruments & Effects in Gadget and the individual Gadgets as AUv3's a BIG YES but there is really no practical need to have the whole Gadget app pop up as an AUv3 in other hosts which would be impossible for now since AUv3's can't host other AUv3's... (or a Plug-In can't host another Plug-In).

• I don’t think AUv3 in Gadget is that unreasonable. They have already funded the development of the Gadgets and the external ones are still some of the best sounding synths on iOS. Reason was a closed system and they opened it up. Ableton have their own paid plugins. I don’t know why Korg have not gone for the content market with extra sound packs not just synth presets.

• edited July 2019

@ioue said:
    FOA, I really appreciate your inputs. There are various opinions here ;)

I cannot say "we will start from XX!", but our team will make a discussion to step forward about AUv3.

One of most exciting news i did hear on this forum. Ever.

Looking forward for iOddysei AUv3 :-) :+1: I have no problem to even pay for AUv3 compatibility as IAP for any korg iOS synth. You don't even need to do anything with UI - look at Sunrizer how it is implemented as AUv3, it just works with a bit of scrolling.

• +1 on auv3. I have many of the Korg apps, including gadget, but without auv3 they’re more or less abandoned by me. The sale is on and I’d love to complete my Korg collection, but I’m not going to because getting everything to play nicely together is too much of a headache. So, yeah, message to Korg: I’ll buy all your apps once they’re auv3. Thank you, please 🙂

• Your own AU plug-ins are very small, so they don't have much need for a bigger GUI.

I also have few problems with, for example, the FabFilter plug-ins.
    They work fine as AU.

Things like state saving play not such a big role for me.
    And AudioBus can often handle this very well for IAA.

And face it, there are many Apps that will never be "updated" to AU.
    I would strongly prefer not to loose them!

We will see, how long IAA can be used on iOS.

@tja said:

@brambos said:

@tja said:
    If you don't need multiple instances, or if you want a big functional, multi-page GUI, you are way better off with IAA instead!

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Even for big functional (?), multi page GUI plugins AUv3 is superior to IAA since it has painless state-saving, automatic host sync, and hassle-free MIDI setup. AUv3 can do almost anything IAA can do (with the sole exception of huge memory-gobbling sample stuff on lower-end gear) and makes everything easier for the user.

I have no problem with AU, but for several things, incl. "bigger" Synths with multiple pages and lots of controls or things like Xequence, I really prefer IAA.

Your own AU plug-ins are very small, so they don't have much need for a bigger GUI.

I also have few problems with, for example, the FabFilter plug-ins.
    They work fine as AU.

Things like state saving play not such a big role for me.
    And AudioBus can often handle this very well for IAA.

And face it, there are many Apps that will never be "updated" to AU.
    I would strongly prefer not to loose them!

We will see, how long IAA can be used on iOS.

On the @brambos apps, I have them all and use them in every single project, but it’s definitely true that the guis could be bigger. Take troublemaker, for instance, an app that is jaw-droppingly good. If it used up all the space available to it, all the knobs would be get and it would be a hell of a lot easier to do,live knob-twiddling without having to resort to external gear. Same with ruismaker. Midi designer has a great interface, with the big numbers that appear when you move a knob, giving you instant information on what the present state is. I reckon all apps should use that latter way of doing things. The bigger the interface is, the easier it is to do things on the fly.

• For me Gadget as a AU Host would be nice! I like the Sceene based workfow. The only thing why i use cubasis, is because Gadget dont support the AU‘s on the Appstore.

• edited August 2019

I think a perfect start would with AUv3 FX integration and fund further development in the area by releasing all their IAA stuff as AUv3’s...

...once AUv3 support is in Gadget I would like to see it stay the same in terms of the AUv3 taking up the same screen space as a normal Gadget would and morph with the UI the same way

• @horsetrainer said:
    I have an idea...

It might be less work for Korg if they make a brand new AUv3 App that does nothing but host the existing Gadgets. In other words, the Gadget DAW with all the DAW parts removed.

It would be like an AUv3 version of Korg Module, but instead of playing the Modules, the user can select Gadgets using the same Gadget selecting interface used by the Gadget DAW.

Because the Gadget DAW already provides access to the Korg Module sounds, the new AUv3 Gadget App could hypothetically have all the previously "Gagetized" Korg synths AND the Korg Module sounds.

This solution might provide Korg with an income incentive, because every iOS Korg fan will probably want to buy the new App. It also likely creates an additional revenue stream for Korg by providing an additional iOS application that users can make in-app-purchases with, of new Gadgets, and the Module sound packs.

All previous owners of IAP of Gadgets, and Module sound packs only need to buy the new App to use them all as AUv3's.

I know very little about App programing, but I'm guessing such a new App might be able to utilize code from the Gadget DAW. So perhaps it might be a more economical way to bring most of the Korg iOS synths to AUv3, if they can do by focusing all the work on just one new App....

Agreed, but i think it should also include a sequencer from gadget, either as separate AU or sequencer for each instrument baked to same UI as the gadget

• oh,i wasn't aware such thread exist.Great.

I'm using Cubasis, Auria Pro a bit of AUM and Gadget sometimes.

1.iPolysix as AU for me is almost all that matters ;)

I'm biased though,it was my first synth 28 years ago.And i'm still on the fence if i should get another one or not...miss it.

2.All other standalone synth/drum apps as AU is a must as well.

3.The Gadgets as AU would be welcome too.Icing on the cake.

4.No need for me to have AU support in Gadget.i like jamming with it but i always finish the stuff elsewhere because i'm also more the linear timeline guy.And gadget lacks too many other features that i'm used to.But for laying out ideas it's great.

• edited August 2019

@Crabman said:
    oh,i wasn't aware such thread exist.Great.

I'm biased though,it was my first synth 28 years ago.And i'm still on the fence if i should get another one or not...miss it.

4.No need for me to have AU support in Gadget.i like jamming with it but i always finish the stuff elsewhere because i'm also more the linear timeline guy.And gadget lacks too many other features that i'm used to.But for laying out ideas it's great.

+1

Stand alones NEED to support AUv3

Gadgets would be a nice addition.

AUv3 in Gadget might compromise stability so that should be lowest priority if you ask me.

• I’d like to make a prediction that when Korg finally gets AUV3 for the stand-alones- ms20, mono/poly, arp etc... it’s going to be the gadget versions (Memphis,Lexington, etc). I say this because that’s what they are now on AUv2 on desktop already. Sorry guys...

• @maxwellhouser said:
    I’d like to make a prediction that when Korg finally gets AUV3 for the stand-alones- ms20, mono/poly, arp etc... it’s going to be the gadget versions (Memphis,Lexington, etc). I say this because that’s what they are now on AUv2 on desktop already. Sorry guys...

No need to apologise; it’s only speculation.

• @ioue said:
    FOA, I really appreciate your inputs. There are various opinions here ;)

I cannot say "we will start from XX!", but our team will make a discussion to step forward about AUv3.

Yosh! 😺 Great to hear!! 👍🐬🚀

• @Beathoven said:

@maxwellhouser said:
    I’d like to make a prediction that when Korg finally gets AUV3 for the stand-alones- ms20, mono/poly, arp etc... it’s going to be the gadget versions (Memphis,Lexington, etc). I say this because that’s what they are now on AUv2 on desktop already. Sorry guys...

No need to apologise; it’s only speculation.

That’s true! I’ll try to remember to come back and bump my comment when it becomes a reality. ;)

• Even if they drop auv3 of their synths people are still gonna find something wrong with them lol
    I think it's cool we even have these synths on iPad's to begin with and gadget is a great tool imo, a great way to make music

• @maxwellhouser said:

i'm aware of it but still better than nothing.

• edited August 2019

@maxwellhouser said:

i'm actually perfectly OK with that.. they are in terms of UI pretty much ready for AUv3 game thanks to half-screen weight and scaling capability.. Original big apps UI is totally not good for AUv3 use case..

• @reasOne said:
    Even if they drop auv3 of their synths people are still gonna find something wrong with them lol
    I think it's cool we even have these synths on iPad's to begin with and gadget is a great tool imo, a great way to make music

I agree

Also the automation integration with the gadgets is so good, almost perfect!

• Just because something is good doesn't mean it couldn't be better ;) Yes,we are spoiled but unlike many others on ios the big player Korg is still clearly behind in terms of integration.They did it on desktop so there's no reason why we can't at least ask for AU in ios.I know,the pricing is different and it's always tricky to develop for old stuff without making some extra cash.I don't have a problem though to pay some extra money for AU updates.And i think i'm not alone.

• @Crabman said:
    oh,i wasn't aware such thread exist.Great.

Basically agreed 400%. I’m just waiting on iMonopoly (AU).
    Gadgets should be as AUs
    No need for the whole app to support other AUs. Seems kinda messy to me but hey, I thought Reason supporting VSTs would have been messy.

• @Crabman said:
    Just because something is good doesn't mean it couldn't be better ;) Yes,we are spoiled but unlike many others on ios the big player Korg is still clearly behind in terms of integration.They did it on desktop so there's no reason why we can't at least ask for AU in ios.I know,the pricing is different and it's always tricky to develop for old stuff without making some extra cash.I don't have a problem though to pay some extra money for AU updates.And i think i'm not alone.

I am curious how this could work. I wonder if one IAP in Gadget could install AU versions on the iPad or what?

• @AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:
    Just because something is good doesn't mean it couldn't be better ;) Yes,we are spoiled but unlike many others on ios the big player Korg is still clearly behind in terms of integration.They did it on desktop so there's no reason why we can't at least ask for AU in ios.I know,the pricing is different and it's always tricky to develop for old stuff without making some extra cash.I don't have a problem though to pay some extra money for AU updates.And i think i'm not alone.

I am curious how this could work. I wonder if one IAP in Gadget could install AU versions on the iPad or what?

I had only the standalones in my mind when i wrote this.With the gadgets probably a little more tricky.Maybe sell seperate AU only versions?Korg could create some nice bundles as well.

• @maxwellhouser said:

I'd be perfectly fine with that, as long as it can exchange any user presets with the AUv3 version just fine