Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• @burns_audio just noticed that on this small iPhone SE screen that I can 2-finger scroll around the window to see all the controls on the Matrix page, but the 2-finger scroll doesn’t work when on the Spectrum, amp, modulation pages.

Not saying it really needs to work on such a small screen, but it’d at least be doable on a small screen if the 2-finger scroll worked on the other pages too.

• @skiphunt said:
    Not saying it really needs to work on such a small screen, but it’d at least be doable on a small screen if the 2-finger scroll worked on the other pages too.

So, I'll try to fix the SE screen, but it won't be enabling scrolling. When you enable scrolling iOS delays touches to try to determine if its a scroll gesture or a tap, adding latency to interactions. Thanks for letting me know. Does it fit better in Portrait?

• @burns_audio said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I would recommend not waiting for a few reasons: the release is a ways off. The next OS is such a major reworking of things that there are likely to be gotchas which may mitigate against people upgrading right away. I don’t know that the changes in iOS 13 actually help with import/export. I could be wrong but I think the main thing is that presets stop being host-specific. I don’t know that it adds an import/export mechanism.

Reasonable points.

What audiounits do you feel have nailed preset import/export today?

Quite a few:

Mozaic
    Moog Model D
    LayR

There lots of others. Maybe other folks can mention their faves. It is nice to be able export both an individual preset and a bank of presets. Using the share sheet is a great way to do that as it gives one lots of options.

• @RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

That's odd, whats your device setup?

ipad pro 10.5, ios 11.4.1 , 512gb...
    and before anyone else suggests updating ios make sure you have the keys to Marcos Alonso’s Apple Handcuff’s and can get him to fix the Samplr audio input sampling in 12 and beyond first.. it’s a no go otherwise...

Ironically it’s the ‘Pro’ iPads that have issues since sampling with Samplr works perfectly on the iPad Air 2 running iOS12.3.1...

iOS13 is around the corner so ‘legacy apps’ are better off on older devices anyway.

• edited July 2019

@burns_audio thank you for the app. I get some buggy behavior trying to do AUv3 parameter automation. In ApeMatrix for example when I have two instances of Spectrum, I setup the first instance to be controlled by MIDI CC from Mozaic and it’s the second instance that is controlled. I haven’t gotten the XY pad to respond to parameters either. Modal has the same issue. The first instance works as expected until you add the second instance which steals its automation control.

• @burns_audio said:

@RockySmalls said:

@gusgranite said:
    I’m not seeing these in AUM or AB3 yet. Have restarted my phone. Anyone else?

me neither, nowhere to be seen,, restarted ipad , ios 11.3 ipad pro 10.5 .. tried in cubasis, apematrix, multitrack daw, audiobus...
    any thoughts @burns_audio ?

Weird.. seems like this is impacting some but not all people. I'll try fresh installs on all my devices today. Have you ran the app from the home screen? I don't think it's required but maybe you need to do that? I don't know yet.

Maybe try deleting and reinstalling it?

Me, the same here...

No way to have Spectrum visible anywhere in Cubasis or AB3.

Tryed reinstall 3 times with no luck. If I tap Spectrum Icon it shows the page with info but nothing more in hosts :-(

Running iPAD 6 32 Gb with iOS 12.1

Any turnaround??? Thanks

• @Sinthemau said:

@burns_audio said:

@RockySmalls said:

@gusgranite said:
    I’m not seeing these in AUM or AB3 yet. Have restarted my phone. Anyone else?

me neither, nowhere to be seen,, restarted ipad , ios 11.3 ipad pro 10.5 .. tried in cubasis, apematrix, multitrack daw, audiobus...
    any thoughts @burns_audio ?

Weird.. seems like this is impacting some but not all people. I'll try fresh installs on all my devices today. Have you ran the app from the home screen? I don't think it's required but maybe you need to do that? I don't know yet.

Maybe try deleting and reinstalling it?

Me, the same here...

Tryed reinstall 3 times with no luck. If I tap Spectrum Icon it shows the page with info but nothing more in hosts :-(

Any turnaround??? Thanks

The issue is related to OS version: Reinstalled a couple of times; opened standalone version first; didn’t open stand alone version first; rebooted iPad; RAM reset iPad; tried reinstalling before restart; tried reinstalling after restart.... Looked in every possible AU location in AUM, AB3 and apeMatrix... nothing.

Tried on my 2nd Gen iPad Pro 10.5”, 1st Gen iPad Pro 9.7” and iPhone 6s, all iOS 12.1; no luck.

Updated my phone to 12.3.1 and it shows up there.

• @Sinthemau said:

Me, the same here...

Any turnaround??? Thanks

If you’re already on iOS12.1 then an update to iOS12.3.1 might do the trick...

• @Samu said:

@Sinthemau said:

Me, the same here...

Any turnaround??? Thanks

Yes, that’s what worked for me.

• @aplourde said:

@Samu said:

@Sinthemau said:

Me, the same here...

Any turnaround??? Thanks

Yes, that’s what worked for me.

Ok, so it's seems only related to a single iOS version...weird. Anyway got it. Thanks both for the reply

• edited July 2019

Noticed that when using pitch-bend the parameters in Spectrum react like there’s an alien invasion going on!?

• One thing....

These are the ports of eurorack modules.

Not a synth, not an effect. A module to work IN eurorack environment.

So the approach is totally different and maybe a little messy for the people that doesn’t play this modules in Eurorack

• These are great. Thank you for your time and effort!

• thanks for this tremendous gift!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh I think I figured out the missing audio units issue. Dumb mistake on my part, minimum iOS version on the extensions was 12.2 and the app was 11.0. Submitting a new build to the app store now, upgrading to iOS 12.2 should work in the meantime.

@Samu said:
    Noticed that when using the on screen pitch-bend in Cubasis the parameters in Spectrum react like there’s an alien invasion going on!?

Uh, that sounds bad. I don't have Cubasis but I'll try it with other MIDI pitch bend.

@InfoCheck said:
    @burns_audio thank you for the app. I get some buggy behavior trying to do AUv3 parameter automation. In ApeMatrix for example when I have two instances of Spectrum, I setup the first instance to be controlled by MIDI CC from Mozaic and it’s the second instance that is controlled. I haven’t gotten the XY pad to respond to parameters either. Modal has the same issue. The first instance works as expected until you add the second instance which steals its automation control.

I'll have to check out the video, but that seems really bizarre to me. The audio units are independent of one another so adding another shouldn't affect the automation of the first.

• @InfoCheck said:

Right that explains my issue as well then as had 4 instances open and couldn’t get AU parameters working as expected.

I see it has pre-baked midi cc assignments though which is cool and have even using those, is there a list of assigned cc numbers? :)

• edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

That's odd, whats your device setup?

ipad pro 10.5, ios 11.4.1 , 512gb...
    and before anyone else suggests updating ios make sure you have the keys to Marcos Alonso’s Apple Handcuff’s and can get him to fix the Samplr audio input sampling in 12 and beyond first.. it’s a no go otherwise...

Ironically it’s the ‘Pro’ iPads that have issues since sampling with Samplr works perfectly on the iPad Air 2 running iOS12.3.1...

iOS13 is around the corner so ‘legacy apps’ are better off on older devices anyway.

I don’t have issues with recording Into Samplr in Audiobus in iOS 12 on my pro 12.9 so that’s working (for me anyway)

• @burns_audio said:
    Oh I think I figured out the missing audio units issue. Dumb mistake on my part, minimum iOS version on the extensions was 12.2 and the app was 11.0. Submitting a new build to the app store now, upgrading to iOS 12.2 should work in the meantime.

@Samu said:
    Noticed that when using the on screen pitch-bend in Cubasis the parameters in Spectrum react like there’s an alien invasion going on!?

Uh, that sounds bad. I don't have Cubasis but I'll try it with other MIDI pitch bend.

@InfoCheck said:

I'll have to check out the video, but that seems really bizarre to me. The audio units are independent of one another so adding another shouldn't affect the automation of the first.

Yes I’ve never seen this before. When I restore the preset and it works as expected until I add a different CC to control the second instance and then those messages control the first instance so the same parameter in instance one is being controlled by its initial CC automation assignment and the CC automation assignment from instance two.

I tried the same MIDI CC source to route KQ Dixie in the setup and it worked as expected without any CC stealing.

• @burns_audio said:

@skiphunt said:

So, I'll try to fix the SE screen, but it won't be enabling scrolling. When you enable scrolling iOS delays touches to try to determine if its a scroll gesture or a tap, adding latency to interactions. Thanks for letting me know. Does it fit better in Portrait?

First off, I don’t personally do much sound stuff on the iPhone SE. pretty much iPad 10.5 Pro only for me.

Was just reporting back about the small screen experience.

Vertical in AUM is a little better, but I tried in apeMatrix too but it’s only horizontal. So, it’s cutting off a lot of controls on the pages cited. The matrix page allows 2-finger scrolling around the page though.

I’m not so sure you need to bother accommodating tiny SE screens though. It’s just too small a screen for most of the audio GUIs to be useful.

• @OnfraySin said:
    One thing....

So the approach is totally different and maybe a little messy for the people that doesn’t play this modules in Eurorack

Do you mean we need to do something different from usual to let have working??? Please explain, thanks

• @burns_audio said:
    Oh I think I figured out the missing audio units issue. Dumb mistake on my part, minimum iOS version on the extensions was 12.2 and the app was 11.0. Submitting a new build to the app store now, upgrading to iOS 12.2 should work in the meantime.

Thanks so much!!! I wait for upgrade. Best

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@Sinthemau said:

@OnfraySin said:
    One thing....

Do you mean we need to do something different from usual to let have working??? Please explain, thanks

It’s not really that different to other iOS synths/fx in this case. Envelope and modulation and x/y are built in and you can automate in daw for looser modulation etc. Couple aspects are ‘more’ Euro and need to understand couple things to make most of them, but I don’t think you really need to overthink these, unless you want to go deeper, which you inevitably will but there’s plenty of familiar aspects to enjoy along the way :)

Perfectly clear! Thanks! ;-)

• edited July 2019

@burns_audio

Thanks for a fab set of modules. Granular however is only showing in apeMatrix with no sound.

No other DAW or AUM that accepts AU units is currently showing up the Granular AU, the other modules are showing. Using latest iOS not beta iPad Pro 9.7 2016.

• @burns_audio said:

Sometimes app developers such as Steinberg will provide promo codes to other developers to help in debugging problems. Could be a way to get Cubasis for free. ;)

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Absolutely amazing work! You totally nailed these and made wise (IMO) and effective UI choices. I feel like I’ve just been handed a huge gift by a total stranger out of nowhere. Many thanks!

• @wim said:

@burns_audio said:

Sometimes app developers such as Steinberg will provide promo codes to other developers to help in debugging problems. Could be a way to get Cubasis for free. ;)

Had to correct my report since it’s a havoc with kb-1 in AUM and GarageBand as well.
    So when ever spectrum gets a pitch bend message multiple parameters change...

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

A very small feature request ... double-tap to return to default value in a few places where it makes sense, such as on the detune control.

• .> @wim said:

A very small feature request ... double-tap to return to default value, such as on the detune control.

If you double tap on the parameter text it will 👍🌈