Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

1202122232426»

Comments

• @bibenu said:

Is there a hack involving sending CCs from another app with a more precise UI ?

Midi CC (7-bit(Values 0-127)) would not give enough resolution for precise editing.

• @Samu said:

@bibenu said:

Is there a hack involving sending CCs from another app with a more precise UI ?

Midi CC (7-bit(Values 0-127)) would not give enough resolution for precise editing.

Doh .... you're right ... I should have figured that out for myself,

• @papertiger said:
    The MIDI CC values are hard coded in the app. Tom has them up on this website, thankfully, but the app does not have MIDI learn or variable MIDI CC assignment.

The parameters are all shared in the AUs, so you can use whatever MIDI learn capability your host (AB3, AUM) has to configure them as desired.

• @uncledave said:

@papertiger said:
    The MIDI CC values are hard coded in the app. Tom has them up on this website, thankfully, but the app does not have MIDI learn or variable MIDI CC assignment.

The parameters are all shared in the AUs, so you can use whatever MIDI learn capability your host (AB3, AUM) has to configure them as desired.

My host of choice, Cubasis, doesn't offer that. 😬

• edited September 2020

@burns_audio I understand from preceding posts that my concern (below) has been discussed with you before (slightly different context). If you have any news about changes coming up that might address the problem I'm having I'd love to hear about it.

BTW, really loving what your app gives me. Knowing what it does, I would have paid for it. Maybe you should think of a way of monetising it for yourself, (e.g. perhaps free for 10 days, followed by limited controls until in-app purchase ?) assuming the mutable licence doesn't prevent you from doing so.

@bibenu said:
    I'm finding it hard to set exact values e.g. when the harmonics knob controls a frequency ratio, it's quite important to be able to hit 0.5 or 0.33 for harmonies.

I always find that even if I can get the knob to the value I want, when I lift my finger the knob jumps by enough to mess things up and produce a beating effect.

Has anyone found a way round that ?

I tried long press, double-click etc to see if there was another UI to set the value, but no luck so far.

• edited September 2020

This sounds similar to something I found a few days ago (and never got around to mentioning) so the details are now a bit hazy. But I did find something going on where two notes (close together) on the keyboard behaved differently WRT the release part of the envelope. Almost like note-off was being ignored for those two notes, or being ignored for all the other notes, all I know was the release effect was markedly different on those two notes.

EDIT: See post below, I've done some more investigation.

The effect was observed both on the AB3 on-screen keyboard and via an external keyboard (midi-routed by AB3).

@mogue said:
    The Release setting on the Amp Envelope doesn't seem to function when using the String model. I'm also inconsistently getting some weird behavior from it where notes sound wrong, some differently so:

• Alright ... I've re-created the problem. Within spectrum, on the modal algorithm, I find there's a difference between E2 and F2 and B2 and the other notes within the octave C2-C3

For both E2, F2 and B2 when the notes are released on the keyboard (either internal AB3 one or external one) then the notes ring on as if nothing had happened. For all the other notes in the octave C2-C3, on lifting my finger from the note, there is an abrupt stop to the sound. For all these notes, the release setting on the ADSR does nothing, which I presume is by design.

Any thoughts on this @burns_audio ?

However ... I've just discovered the problem notes keep moving, now it's F#2, G2, G#2 ... and the more I play, the more chance that the problem notes move again.

@bibenu said:
    This sounds similar to something I found a few days ago ...

• @bibenu said:

However ... I've just discovered the problem notes keep moving, now it's F#2, G2, G#2 ... and the more I play, the more chance that the problem notes move again.

Internally, Spectrum allocates 8 instances of Plaits and then assigns them to whatever notes you play. If you play the same note multiple times, it'll re-use the same instance instead of assigning all the notes to the same instance. So it sounds to me like somehow the voice state of some voices is somewhat corrupted and not sounding correctly. The hard part is, how do you reproduce corrupting those voices from a fresh instance of the AU? That's what I haven't been able to nail down.

• edited September 2020

@burns_audio said:

The hard part is, how do you reproduce corrupting those voices from a fresh instance of the AU? That's what I haven't been able to nail down.

Okay ... understood. I did find that if I moved away to another algorithm and came back to modal, that the problem cleared and I could not reproduce it. If I discover a way to do that in the course of playing I will let you know. Thanks.

• edited August 2021

first of all thanks for the wonderful app
    really
    recent update is great (numeric entry!)

still i have a few suggestions

knob reset should happen when double tapping knob (not label) as this is the common standard (and therefore what most users are accostumed to)
    for numeric entry:
    press/hold knob until window appears
    enter value
    press enter (no need for extra save button)
    knob values like 0,453 or 2,578 are impractical; on (basically) all apps/plugins you only got 1 decimal or 2 (e.g. u-he)

bye

stefano
    turin/italy

• @burns_audio Thanks for the update, truly appreciated :sunglasses:
    (5-stars left on the Swedish AppStore).

• @Samu said:
    @burns_audio Thanks for the update, truly appreciated :sunglasses:
    (5-stars left on the Swedish AppStore).

That numerical feature was for you, glad you found it :)

• Not sure this the right place to ask… the plugins are available to install on macOS (which is great!) but unfortunately only the Modal instrument AU will validate in Logic Pro. All the others fail validation. I could post error messages if that's of any help. Do they work for anyone else? Any chance to fix this?

• @chrxxx said:
    Not sure this the right place to ask… the plugins are available to install on macOS (which is great!) but unfortunately only the Modal instrument AU will validate in Logic Pro. All the others fail validation. I could post error messages if that's of any help. Do they work for anyone else? Any chance to fix this?

Another options is to get MiRack (It includes all the Mutable Modules) and will validate in Logic on an Intel MacMini.
    Don't have any M1 Mac's to test with...

• Chr> @chrxxx said:

Not sure this the right place to ask… the plugins are available to install on macOS (which is great!) but unfortunately only the Modal instrument AU will validate in Logic Pro. All the others fail validation. I could post error messages if that's of any help. Do they work for anyone else? Any chance to fix this?

Please post error messages! I'm pretty deep in other projects but more information is always better!

• Many thanks for getting back so fast. Here are some of the errors.

Granular:

* * PASS
    --------------------------------------------------
    PUBLISHED PARAMETER INFO:

# # # 69 Global Scope Parameters:
    ERROR: Parameter did not retain set value when Initialized

* * FAIL
    AU VALIDATION FAILED: CORRECT THE ERRORS ABOVE.

Resonator:

# # # 63 Global Scope Parameters:
    ERROR: Parameter did not retain set value when Uinitialized

* * FAIL

Spectrum:

# # # 83 Global Scope Parameters:
    WARNING: retrievedValue = 15.000000 (was 15.400000), Parameter did not retain maximum value when set

* * PASS
    FORMAT TESTS:

Reported Channel Capabilities (default config only):
          input:  0
          output: 2

* * PASS
    RENDER TESTS:

Output Format: AudioStreamBasicDescription:  2 ch,  44100 Hz, Float32, deinterleaved
    Render Test at 512 frames
    Slicing Render Test at 64 frames
      PASS

Render Test at 64 frames, sample rate: 22050 Hz
    Render Test at 137 frames, sample rate: 96000 Hz
    Render Test at 4096 frames, sample rate: 48000 Hz
    ERROR: -66745 IN CALL AudioUnitRender

* * FAIL

ModalEffect:

RENDER TESTS:

Input Format: AudioStreamBasicDescription:  2 ch,  44100 Hz, Float32, deinterleaved
    Output Format: AudioStreamBasicDescription:  2 ch,  44100 Hz, Float32, deinterleaved
      PASS

Render Test at 4096 frames, sample rate: 192000 Hz
    Render Test at 4096 frames, sample rate: 11025 Hz
    Render Test at 512 frames, sample rate: 44100 Hz
      PASS

1 Channel Test:

* * FAIL

ResonatorEffect:

RENDER TESTS:

Input Format: AudioStreamBasicDescription:  2 ch,  44100 Hz, Float32, deinterleaved
      PASS

* * FAIL

• edited June 2022

A quick piece of sound I made some days ago, entirely with Spectrum :smile:

I really love this synth (FM and additive being my favourites)

-fx

• @fxdfxd said:
    A quick piece of sound I made some days ago, entirely with Spectrum :smile:

I really love this synth (FM and additive being my favourites)

-fx

Wow fantastic. Other-worldly.

I need to have a play with this neglected (by me) app.

• edited December 2022

Hey, @burns_audio, hope you're doing well. I just made a buch of Spectrum presets and wanted to ask, did you consider adding a second LFO? Or is it done project? I adore its shape function and with all plaits engines I have fewer reasons to use eurorack. Pretty sure this one will shine even brighter with 2 LFO's.

• hi all, just a heads up, these apps seem to be working pretty well on desktop, im in ableton. Thanks @burns_audio for the gift that keeps giving!

• edited June 2023

• @shinyisshiny said:
    hi all, just a heads up, these apps seem to be working pretty well on desktop, im in ableton. Thanks @burns_audio for the gift that keeps giving!

I suspect this means the auv3s, that work on macs only. For those on windows or linux, who may not know, the free surge synth contains plaits (twist oscillator) and clouds (don't remember the name, but something in the FX section). Very nice modulation system, too.

• @tyslothrop1 said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    hi all, just a heads up, these apps seem to be working pretty well on desktop, im in ableton. Thanks @burns_audio for the gift that keeps giving!

I suspect this means the auv3s, that work on macs only. For those on windows or linux, who may not know, the free surge synth contains plaits (twist oscillator) and clouds (don't remember the name, but something in the FX section). Very nice modulation system, too.

yes! sorry , should have specified. also, seconding surge! I dont love the UI, but i do love how it sounds, and how powerful the synth is. Incredible that its free.

• @shinyisshiny said:

@tyslothrop1 said:

@shinyisshiny said:

yes! sorry , should have specified. also, seconding surge! I dont love the UI, but i do love how it sounds, and how powerful the synth is. Incredible that its free.

No worries. On second thought, the also free cardinal synth, that's based on VCV Rack 2 and is cross platform actually has all (or most?) the mutable instruments modules included, if you don't mind handling virtual cables.