Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• @Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

That's odd, whats your device setup?

ipad pro 10.5, ios 11.4.1 , 512gb...
    and before anyone else suggests updating ios make sure you have the keys to Marcos Alonso’s Apple Handcuff’s and can get him to fix the Samplr audio input sampling in 12 and beyond first.. it’s a no go otherwise...

Ironically it’s the ‘Pro’ iPads that have issues since sampling with Samplr works perfectly on the iPad Air 2 running iOS12.3.1...

iOS13 is around the corner so ‘legacy apps’ are better off on older devices anyway.

I don’t have issues with recording Into Samplr in Audiobus in iOS 12 on my pro 12.9 so that’s working (for me anyway)

oh... that sounds promising ... The Issue is also slightly bound up in the fact that my live setup I rely upon, is the only time I really do “Live” live sampling and in that instance I am using 2 ipads with GuitarJack2 soundcards, great little things for quality stereo in and out .. but they are 32pin (pre lightning!! 🦕 ) devices both using apples 32pin to lightning adapters.. i’m surprised they still operate so nicely.. but being slightly obscure means it’s hard to find guineapigs that have bitten the bullet and tested in upgrades..
    can I ask which ios12 you are on and what soundcard you get yr audio in through?
    I’m getting a sneaking feeling that I am going to have to empty the £2 coin jar and find the rest of the payola to get another ipad purely for home production when this ipadIOS properly comes into being and the dust settles..

yeah understandable not updating when you're relying on it :)
    latest ios 12.3.1 tested earlier, just sampled in some of these Spectrum synths via Audiobus 3. Didn't check with a soundcard but should work via Audiobus the same way, I use iconnectAudio4.

did a quick test with my Air2 trying to sample Spectrum into AB3 and Samplr on ios 13 beta, not good news for Samplr there. Not working currently...this may be a beta bug and AB3 updating to ios 13 might fix it...or it might be the end of the road for Samplr input, although the developer did say he would always make it compatible with the current iOS.

• That sounds great @dendy !

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@dendy said:
    Oo can't stop listening to beautiful Spectrum sounds :) And it works perfectly with FX's, after you start apply ovedrive, delays, reverb - damn this is sooo much amazing...

3 instances of Spectrum

Lovely stuff mate. I'm honestly finding these ports more interesting than when I had Rings & Clouds in euro.

@dendy Thats sounds great! Like Miami vice 2019 👍

• @Carnbot said:

@Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:

@RockySmalls said:

That's odd, whats your device setup?

ipad pro 10.5, ios 11.4.1 , 512gb...
    and before anyone else suggests updating ios make sure you have the keys to Marcos Alonso’s Apple Handcuff’s and can get him to fix the Samplr audio input sampling in 12 and beyond first.. it’s a no go otherwise...

Ironically it’s the ‘Pro’ iPads that have issues since sampling with Samplr works perfectly on the iPad Air 2 running iOS12.3.1...

iOS13 is around the corner so ‘legacy apps’ are better off on older devices anyway.

I don’t have issues with recording Into Samplr in Audiobus in iOS 12 on my pro 12.9 so that’s working (for me anyway)

oh... that sounds promising ... The Issue is also slightly bound up in the fact that my live setup I rely upon, is the only time I really do “Live” live sampling and in that instance I am using 2 ipads with GuitarJack2 soundcards, great little things for quality stereo in and out .. but they are 32pin (pre lightning!! 🦕 ) devices both using apples 32pin to lightning adapters.. i’m surprised they still operate so nicely.. but being slightly obscure means it’s hard to find guineapigs that have bitten the bullet and tested in upgrades..
    can I ask which ios12 you are on and what soundcard you get yr audio in through?
    I’m getting a sneaking feeling that I am going to have to empty the £2 coin jar and find the rest of the payola to get another ipad purely for home production when this ipadIOS properly comes into being and the dust settles..

yeah understandable not updating when you're relying on it :)
    latest ios 12.3.1 tested earlier, just sampled in some of these Spectrum synths via Audiobus 3. Didn't check with a soundcard but should work via Audiobus the same way, I use iconnectAudio4.

did a quick test with my Air2 trying to sample Spectrum into AB3 and Samplr on ios 13 beta, not good news for Samplr there. Not working currently...this may be a beta bug and AB3 updating to ios 13 might fix it...or it might be the end of the road for Samplr input, although the developer did say he would always make it compatible with the current iOS.

hmmm, yes, these are the things I remember hearing and getting me all squeamish about the number 12..
    thanks for yr input.. (sic)

• The sounds are simply lovely. Variable tones that are immense even without effects. Modular iOS has arrived!

• @dendy said:
    Oo can't stop listening to beautiful Spectrum sounds :) And it works perfectly with FX's, after you start apply ovedrive, delays, reverb - damn this is sooo much amazing...

3 instances of Spectrum

Very nice!

• Holy shit I’m having a lot of fun with this so far

• edited July 2019

Holy crap I have no idea what I’m doing I’m just twisting dials but I’m getting some amazing sounds wow I don’t know what to say other than I need to learn about this this is amazing

• MIDI CCs are in the manual now

https://burns.ca/spectrum.html

Cheers,
    Tom

• At home on the iPad now and they install fine on that. Most excellent!

THANK YOU!!

• edited July 2019

@burns_audio This is one of the best things that’s happened on iOS, thanks so much!

Small feature request for a future version is a randomize button, love that in VCV.

Also would it be possible to have slightly different icons for each one? Could maybe just change the order of the colour strips, so Spectrum starts with red, Granular with green etc?

• +1 for randomize!!!!

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    Holy crap I have no idea what I’m doing I’m just twisting dials but I’m getting some amazing sounds wow I don’t know what to say other than I need to learn about this this is amazing

Haha same, I mean we kinda know what we are doing but I've never touched a modular synth so I'm deff a little weak with this atm

• @burns_audio I know you said something about how this was for practicing coding so it probably won’t really get updates but if you do ever add any extra features, a double tap to return knobs to 0 would be reallyyy cool :). Also thank you for making this and providing it for free, I have been glued to it since I got off work. It sounds awesome!

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    @burns_audio I know you said something about how this was for practicing coding so it probably won’t really get updates but if you do ever add any extra features, a double tap to return knobs to 0 would be reallyyy cool :). Also thank you for making this and providing it for free, I have been glued to it since I got off work. It sounds awesome!

Tap the text instead of the dial. Couple of us made the same request... turns out it’s already there.

• @DCJ said:

@JackDwyerburger said:
    @burns_audio I know you said something about how this was for practicing coding so it probably won’t really get updates but if you do ever add any extra features, a double tap to return knobs to 0 would be reallyyy cool :). Also thank you for making this and providing it for free, I have been glued to it since I got off work. It sounds awesome!

Tap the text instead of the dial. Couple of us made the same request... turns out it’s already there.

Oh nice! Thanks!

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited July 2019

I’ll do up a Mozaic script for randomizing the parameters.

There is already one that puts out a bunch of ccs with randomization and scenes that I can easily adapt. It could probably be used as-is with midi learn to the AU parameters, but I suspect would have unpredictable results since there are ccs already assigned to the controls. I ran into this with step bus and had to turn off portamento and the other controls.

It would be much nicer to have it built-in though.

• @burns_audio said:

@RockySmalls said:
    even with automation bugs these are still absolutely my flavour of ‘cunk stick’ :)

I think I figured out all the automation bugs, working on a fix, hopefully will have it done tonight.

Turns out global variables is a terrible idea because the audio units are NOT all in separate processes, oops

We’ve all been there when starting out... because that’s what you’d expect :D

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @burns_audio found a bug where aftertouch from a keyboard on D1 and C#1 effect polyphony and unison. I was playing chords and the sound cut out! Took my a while to figure out what was going on. Let me know if you need a screen recording.

• @DCJ said:
    @burns_audio found a bug where aftertouch from a keyboard on D1 and C#1 effect polyphony and unison. I was playing chords and the sound cut out! Took my a while to figure out what was going on. Let me know if you need a screen recording.

I’m still puzzled by the pitch-bend behavior as multiple parameters get changed.
    Since in that example D1 and C#1 change two different parameters it sounds like some kind of Note > CC mapping using the after touch as the value!?

Something is fishy here for sure :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@DCJ said:
    @burns_audio found a bug where aftertouch from a keyboard on D1 and C#1 effect polyphony and unison. I was playing chords and the sound cut out! Took my a while to figure out what was going on. Let me know if you need a screen recording.

I’m still puzzled by the pitch-bend behavior as multiple parameters get changed.
    Since in that example D1 and C#1 change two different parameters it sounds like some kind of Note > CC mapping using the after touch as the value!?

I think Tom fixed that issue so will be in the update

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@DCJ said:

Goodie!

Don’t know but I would find it useful to ‘link the L & R output dials (out and aux) to make it easier to switch the ‘output’.

Still working hard on memorizing the parameters so I don’t have to do so much manual diving :)

• @Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@DCJ said:

Goodie!

Don’t know but I would find it useful to ‘link the L & R output dials (out and aux) to make it easier to switch the ‘output’.

Still working hard on memorizing the parameters so I don’t have to do so much manual diving :)

This was my main confusion for sure, the left/right outputs and it feels a little awkward for my style of playing as I'm moving the left/right outputs all the time to figure out what is going on.
    As you know already the outputs do different things depending on the mode in use but it does make more sense for people who are into the matrix modulation options.

Link the L & R output dials (out and aux) also came to my thoughts.

• @burns_audio

Many thanks for theses gems. They work fine on my iphone 7plus however they don’t show up at all on my ipad air 1. The app installed ok but no instruments or fx au. Checked in aum, audiobus and cubasis. Anybody report this?

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@paradiddle said:
    @burns_audio

Many thanks for theses gems. They work fine on my iphone 7plus however they don’t show up at all on my ipad air 1. The app installed ok but no instruments or fx au. Checked in aum, audiobus and cubasis. Anybody report this?

What iOS version? There was a little mixup on which versions the app supports. Fix on the way if I remember correctly.

• edited July 2019

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Only had a quick play with single instances in AUM, but working great here.

Lovely sounds, thanks @burns_audio :)

i feel like the slighly younger urchin on the street that’s been called in to go to bed... and is sat wide awake on the windowsill looking out at the older rogues still playing ‘Cunk Stick’ behind the garages..

It’s Friday night and everywhere you look there’s buildings full of people doing it. They’re all doing it and doing it and stopping and having a fag and then doing it some more...

Do you want me to test a line-in to Samplr Mr Smalls? I could try and record something awful into my Air 2 iOS 12 via my iRig dangle. I’ll do it in the morrig when I’m sober mind, otherwise I might slip and twist something unexpected.

also... it’s still thursday night here (just) on this side of Offa’s Dyke look you... don’t neglect to get the kiddie up for school in the morning .. unless by a strange sheepshead-helmet, wicker man & virgin’s entrails method you actually have achieved some kind of druidic timeslip over there.

Yer uncle Hubert uses winkles, as earplugs!

Line-in to this Samplr thing you all like these days working and correct via Audiobus 2 at least. Guitar noodlings recorded into Samplr came out all buffed up and shiny.

Actually I've never tried this before so it might become a future thing.