Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr 1.4 with Ableton Link is out

Comments

• For me easy to setup sync was the only missing feature.
    Files integration would be nice, but not crucial for me/the way I use it.

That said, I wouldn't buy it today regardless of its price, because IAA just doesn't work well enough in a multiapp setup.

• @MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Is there a manual? Cheers

What I’m trying to find out is about the midi implementation. I get the impression samplr is all about leveraging the touch interface, which is cool. However I’m mostly about using apps as midi modules, so I’m wondering if samplr can be used as such, or if it is mainly designed to be played on the screen. Ta.

It is intended to be an instrument you play via its touch interface. That is where it is special.

>

Yep, that’s the important thing to bear in mind, it’s an instrument.

When I watched Cuckoo’s vid, where he made a little masterpiece in a few minutes, with just his voice, I thought - yeah, amazing app, I’d pay FIFTY QUID for that.

But I’ve already had it since release and paid about a fiver, and in my hands it sounds like that comedy single from the 80’s (with the sampled dog barks) on a cheap Casio, barking out God Save The Queen or summat. I think there was a sheep one too.

So the perceived value of this app is always going to be influenced by the skills of the person playing it. In Cuckoo’s hands it’s priceless, in mine, about £4.99. Bah.

Worth about 50p to me then, and that's probably on the generous side. Won't be stumping up thirty quid for it.

• @Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Is there a manual? Cheers

What I’m trying to find out is about the midi implementation. I get the impression samplr is all about leveraging the touch interface, which is cool. However I’m mostly about using apps as midi modules, so I’m wondering if samplr can be used as such, or if it is mainly designed to be played on the screen. Ta.

It is intended to be an instrument you play via its touch interface. That is where it is special.

>

Yep, that’s the important thing to bear in mind, it’s an instrument.

When I watched Cuckoo’s vid, where he made a little masterpiece in a few minutes, with just his voice, I thought - yeah, amazing app, I’d pay FIFTY QUID for that.

But I’ve already had it since release and paid about a fiver, and in my hands it sounds like that comedy single from the 80’s (with the sampled dog barks) on a cheap Casio, barking out God Save The Queen or summat. I think there was a sheep one too.

So the perceived value of this app is always going to be influenced by the skills of the person playing it. In Cuckoo’s hands it’s priceless, in mine, about £4.99. Bah.

Worth about 50p to me then, and that's probably on the generous side. Won't be stumping up thirty quid for it.

This sums it up really. That stick I played with when I was 3 years old. I’d pay a tenner for it now.

• edited February 2020

MonzoPro i totally agree with you.
    I got borderlands in 2014 after seeing some cool videos on it. The only sound I can muster up from it is something that sounds like an air raid siren!
    Im sure I would pay 30 quid for samplr with them same results😊

• I remember @jakoB_haQ doing a comparison on sampler-apps not long ago, explicitly advising against getting Samplr due to its - supposed - abandoned status. Now there is an update and a huge price jump, and us beginners have to pay the price for an app that was neglected for years. Blame Jakob! (just kidding ...)

Don't get me wrong, Samplr might be worth the money, and I might be getting it in the future, but it still doesn't feel right. I know Apple doesn't permit payed updates, but an IAP for Ableton Link, MIDI etc. would have been possible AFAIK and the dev would have collected his deserved share by distributing the cost evenly.

Just my two cents. Or thirty bucks, that is...

• @mistercharlie said:

Blimey, thirty quid.

As for the price, TBH I’d pay £30 for a AUV3 version of it with full midi implementation.

Whoa. The price went up by $20. I really should have got the app earlier but I was worried it was abandoned.

Ha! What happened to ‘this is the best sampler ever’ ? $30 isn’t even enough to buy a plugin for the Mac!

There are better free samplers for the Mac, £30 has nothing at all to do with its sampling capabilities or the platform it runs on, the developer just chose a new price, if I personally was guessing I would say he wanted to keep it alive but does not really want any new users making demands, a high price is an easy way to do that.

• Looks tempting but I don’t want to use up all my Drambobucks I’ve been saving, might get this at a later date.

• Here is the link at a short video showing record audio problem with new iPad Pro at 48000hz sample rate (fixed by Apple on new device).

No problem if used with external interface with 44000hz.

If someone knows how to fix or maybe @Marcos can look into it.

Thanks all.

• Samplr takes a while to master like any good instrument. :)

Perhaps the price markup means Marcos is after the Ableton crowd now more than the ipad only crowd. This is where it's now working best as ipad only workflow remains awkward. This is nice live instrument for recording into Ableton, which is where I'll use it most now... but I'd still like to see multi channel out for that. Midi too.

For those who can't afford the new price, check out SpaceCraft which is different but just as good (and much better for ipad only workflow with AUv3 and midi control)...and a great new update for that is also in the pipeline :)

• edited February 2020

@Carnbot said:
    Borderlands and Samplr update in the same week must be rarer than Halley's Comet.. :)

for me they were the early Ios 'works of art' as regards sample manipulation

• edited February 2020

@Paul16 said:

@Carnbot said:
    Borderlands and Samplr update in the same week must be rarer than Halley's Comet.. :)

for me they were the early Ios 'works of art', as regards sample manipulation

• any plans for this to be available on iphone? and Au ?

• Apps like Samplr and Borderlands are perfect for experimental artists like myself. It’s a different approach for me every time. Really enjoy twisting voice samples / vox with it. I constantly use it since I discovered it. The update is perfect, hope to see it evolve more.

• edited February 2020

So I had to rebuy Samplr because I guess when I first bought it I returned it but forgot to uninstall it (I was new to iOS and a young and stupid). While I was, at first, a bit pissed that it went up to $30, I realized it was worth it. I get that people are annoyed, but let's be real here, Samplr is pretty much a one of a kind app that really utilizes the touchscreen in a way that no one else is doing. In fact, Samplr and Borderlands are the main reason I picked up an iPad. When mixed with my other gear or DAW, it's an indispensable tool. @Marcos has created something truly amazing. Do we wish it had more features? Sure! But it still does so much and with the "minor" update that can make it more useful in integrating it into a more dynamic setup. Here's to future updates!

• I meant to post this a while back.
    Apparat using Samplr live from around 30.25 minutes in

• I am absolutely in favor of an app that has a fair price. Certainly the new price is high and for some (many?) too high but, honesty, I must say that it was the previous price that was too low.

There are many apps now (unfortunately? thankfully?) in this price range.
    With regard to some, we can discuss whether the price is objectively high. Samplr is not among them, objectively.
    It is not for everyone, but for those for whom it is, it is the best possible.

• @LeeB said:
    I meant to post this a while back.

Video unavailable.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    For me easy to setup sync was the only missing feature.
    Files integration would be nice, but not crucial for me/the way I use it.

That said, I wouldn't buy it today regardless of its price, because IAA just doesn't work well enough in a multiapp setup.

There are some totally reliable IAA apps that work well in multi app setups.--that are as reliable as the best AU. (And AU that aren't reliable.

For instance, there is just about no app on iOS as solid as Loopy--which can easily be integrated into a primarily AU workflow. Samplr has been reliable.

• @Faland said:
    I am absolutely in favor of an app that has a fair price. Certainly the new price is high and for some (many?) too high but, honesty, I must say that it was the previous price that was too low.

With regard to some, we can discuss whether the price is objectively high. Samplr is not among them, objectively.

No such thing as an objective price. That being said, I am amused by people’s need to let other people know that they’d pay 50p at most. That’s very interesting. 🙄

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@LeeB said:

Video unavailable.

If you click just below where it says unavailable it gives you the option to watch on YouTube 😉

• edited February 2020

I have just been out for lunch.
    Three mixed grills, a coffee and a blackcurrent and soda. £29.45p
    Digested and ready to be poo'd out.
    Should have bought samplr...

Edit, I didnt eat them all. There were three of us.

• @LeeB said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@LeeB said:

Video unavailable.

If you click just below where it says unavailable it gives you the option to watch on YouTube 😉

Ah. You’ll have to excuse me, I’m just not very bright.

• @Small_paul1976 said:
    I have just been out for lunch.
    Three mixed grills, a coffee and a blackcurrent and soda. £29.45p
    Digested and ready to be poo'd out.
    Should have bought samplr...

Edit, I didnt eat them all. There were three of us.

I was gonna say...

• @wim said:

@palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

You can get samples in via the files app by using “copy to Samplr” from the share menu. With pop-over mode it’s not so bad really. But yeh, at this point not having full files app integration is pretty far behind the times. I’d rather see the update as it is than have it delayed for that though. Very happy to see this Update. B)

@wim: not sure if you noticed: Samplr's directory is exposed. You can move files into its folder using the Files app and it will see them. May be less convenient than if it had the browser access inside the app. But not terrible either.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@Faland said:
    I am absolutely in favor of an app that has a fair price. Certainly the new price is high and for some (many?) too high but, honesty, I must say that it was the previous price that was too low.

No such thing as an objective price. That being said, I am amused by people’s need to let other people know that they’d pay 50p at most. That’s very interesting. 🙄

are you referring to me? just to know

• @espiegel123 said:
    @wim: not sure if you noticed: Samplr's directory is exposed. You can move files into its folder using the Files app and it will see them. May be less convenient than if it had the browser access inside the app. But not terrible either.

Same with the recent Borderlands update. I like this, doing files stuff in the Files app, prepare beforehand. Nice and tidy.

• I dream of this as an AU to be multi-instantiated in Auria.

• @Faland said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@Faland said:

are you referring to me? just to know

Just the objective price reference. No insult intended, it’s just something that annoys me in my professional life. Price, or rather the value of an economic good, is subjective and there’s no way to somehow determine an objective value.

But again, no insult intended so if you feel slighted I apologise.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

You can get samples in via the files app by using “copy to Samplr” from the share menu. With pop-over mode it’s not so bad really. But yeh, at this point not having full files app integration is pretty far behind the times. I’d rather see the update as it is than have it delayed for that though. Very happy to see this Update. B)

Ah, well spotted! Perfect!

• Samplr was the first app that made me feel I was playing an instrument on a touch screen. It's a wonder and a marvel. Great to see an update, thank you Marcos.