Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr 1.4 with Ableton Link is out

Comments

• Interesting interview, he does say a version 2 might be possible but likely to be a new app.

• @auxmux said:
    What's the justification for price increase?

That it was under-priced? (Which it was, by the way.)

That he thinks that his time is worth money?

I hope it will do well.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    Samplr, Koala, and Turnado together makes for a good time

Can you elaborate on how you are using these together?

I was actually just thinking about this the other day but not sure the best way to set it up. AB?

What’s your workflow if you don’t mind me asking?

I agree that these with Turnado and/or Effectrix could be wicked.

• @eyesunderground said:

@JackDwyerburger said:
    Samplr, Koala, and Turnado together makes for a good time

Can you elaborate on how you are using these together?

I was actually just thinking about this the other day but not sure the best way to set it up. AB?

What’s your workflow if you don’t mind me asking?

I agree that these with Turnado and/or Effectrix could be wicked.

I get a bunch of samples and loops ready in a folder and load Samplr in a slot in AUM and then Koala in another and put Turnado in the fx slot on each one and just go from there. I like using the Koala performance effects a lot with the set up too. I threw in TubeAU as well during a session and mangled stuff with Turnado for ambience and filler

• @MonzoPro said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

and, far shorter and more recently, I like what our friendly fruitcake Cuckoo does with it here also:

https://youtu.be/1dLP1Ckm7ek

Ah thanks, that’s really helped jog the memory -picked up a couple of tricks straight away.

Yes, he makes it very accessible doesn't he, the blighter :)

• @Marcos said:
    Hi everyone,

This update took a lot longer that I expected but it’s finally here. Samplr 1.4 is out!

New features:

• Ableton Link support. I’m really excited about this one.
    • Redraw the entire interface at a higher resolution. It should look good now on big iPads.
    • Improved MIDI Sync. MIDI was never great so I decided to rewrite it from scratch. It should work much better now.
    • Fixed audio recording and file import from Dropbox and Audioshare.
    • Many more bug fixes.

Enjoy!

Marcos

Get it here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/samplr-touch-the-music/id560756420?mt=8

OMG

• edited February 2020

@anickt said:

@auxmux said:

Sorry - but that’s just wrong

On what grounds? It seems like a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

@auxmux said:
    I didn't express that well enough. I get the app is much beloved, but I never had it, but the jump seems high to me. I may consider it in the future, but it gives me pause right now.

I think you captured it pretty well. It's a question that has to be answered to the satisfaction of anyone who hasn't bought it, and has to now decide if it's worth three times what it cost yesterday.

Personally I'd be looking for a lot more new stuff before shelling out an extra £20 over yesterday's price, esp since its closest neighbour, Borderlands Granular, seems to have done the exact opposite - added a ton of new stuff for no added new app cost (AFAIK?), but even if the Borderlands dev did increase the new app price a bit, there seems to be a lot of justification for it.

Perhaps this comes down to Apple's "no paid upgrades" policy, and the dev has to make his money back somehow, but I fear he might have shot himself in the foot here, I hope not. I would have thought that a smaller price increase would lead to many more sales from a new generation of customers who might not have been around when the last version came out.

• @craftycurate said:

@anickt said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:
    I didn't express that well enough. I get the app is much beloved, but I never had it, but the jump seems high to me. I may consider it in the future, but it gives me pause right now.

I think you captured it pretty well. It's a question that has to be answered to the satisfaction of anyone who hasn't bought it, and has to now decide if it's worth three times what it cost yesterday.

Personally I'd be looking for a lot more new stuff before shelling out an extra £20 over yesterday's price, esp since its closest neighbour, Borderlands Granular, seems to have done the exact opposite - added a ton of new stuff for no added new app cost (AFAIK?), but even if the Borderlands dev did increase the new app price a bit, there seems to be a lot of justification for it.

Perhaps this comes down to Apple's "no paid upgrades" policy, and the dev has to make his money back somehow, but I fear he might have shot himself in the foot here, I hope not. I would have thought that a smaller price increase would lead to many more sales from a new generation of customers who might not have been around when the last version came out.

The buyer has to decide if the product is worth what it costs. To ask the seller to justify the cost comes across as somewhat snarky to me. It also reminds me of the ongoing debate about app pricing where one day everyone’s behind more sustainable pricing for devs and the next day “this costs too much”. Just expressing an opinion and didn’t intend to trash @auxmux 😎

• @craftycurate said:

@anickt said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

I’d say that Samplr was under-priced. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. A lot of time and effort has gone into creating what is still one of the most thoughtfully designed touch instruments ever implemented.

There is a host of excellent videos that will help people get a feel for whether or not the app is for them.

• @MonzoPro Came across this short little piece by a guy drinking whiskey and hiding behind his mike. Couple of nice little approaches however...

• Borderlands and Samplr ... what a start to 2020.

Going to wish more in @jakoB_haQ YT comments because my list for the year is done.

Price increase ... fair enough in my book ... maybe could have had a week’s grace period to ease people into the idea. Can’t begrudge the dev making some $ off this masterpiece though.

• @pierre said:

@Halftone said:
    Have you tried downloading it again? Recently I had an app that required iOS 11 or higher - my phone is on ios10.2 - so I thought I couldn't download - but I hit the download button anyways & got message saying something like "this app required 11.0 or higher - do you want to download the last version of the app that worked on iOS 10?" Worth a shot.

Ok, that's interesting, in the appstore i can't download. but if I search in the "purchase" list it works. I guess no ableton link for me!

Use link to midi for this, it's a free app. Works fine on the 'dead' version of Samplr

• @anickt said:

@craftycurate said:

@anickt said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

The buyer has to decide if the product is worth what it costs. To ask the seller to justify the cost comes across as somewhat snarky to me. It also reminds me of the ongoing debate about app pricing where one day everyone’s behind more sustainable pricing for devs and the next day “this costs too much”. Just expressing an opinion and didn’t intend to trash @auxmux 😎

I see where you’re coming from ... I read @auxmux ’s question as being asked to the forum in general, inviting others to comment, rather than to the dev ... we’ve just interpreted it differently I think 👍

• edited February 2020

@craftycurate said:

@anickt said:

@craftycurate said:

@anickt said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

I see where you’re coming from ... I read @auxmux ’s question as being asked to the forum in general, inviting others to comment, rather than to the dev ... we’ve just interpreted it differently I think 👍

Yes, it was a general question, not directed specifically nor meant to be accusatory. And response definitely not taken personally. I agree it's up to the buyer to justify the purchase.

• @espiegel123 said:

@auxmux said:

That it was under-priced? (Which it was, by the way.)

That he thinks that his time is worth money?

I hope it will do well.

calm down lol

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Is there a manual? Cheers

What I’m trying to find out is about the midi implementation. I get the impression samplr is all about leveraging the touch interface, which is cool. However I’m mostly about using apps as midi modules, so I’m wondering if samplr can be used as such, or if it is mainly designed to be played on the screen. Ta.

It is intended to be an instrument you play via its touch interface. That is where it is special.

It's not intended to be used as a traditional sampler. If you want a sampler to control with a keyboard, get a sampler designed for that (BeatMaker 3, AudioLayer, NanoStudio 2, etc,)

• Never lost faith, finally here!!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MonzoPro Came across this short little piece by a guy drinking whiskey and hiding behind his mike. Couple of nice little approaches however...

Cheers Boss, I’ll check it out.

Had a bit of a play with Samplr last night. Still not loving it, even after all these years, but I’ll keep trying until it goes back in the box.

• @espiegel123 said:

@d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Is there a manual? Cheers

What I’m trying to find out is about the midi implementation. I get the impression samplr is all about leveraging the touch interface, which is cool. However I’m mostly about using apps as midi modules, so I’m wondering if samplr can be used as such, or if it is mainly designed to be played on the screen. Ta.

It is intended to be an instrument you play via its touch interface. That is where it is special.

>

Yep, that’s the important thing to bear in mind, it’s an instrument.

When I watched Cuckoo’s vid, where he made a little masterpiece in a few minutes, with just his voice, I thought - yeah, amazing app, I’d pay FIFTY QUID for that.

But I’ve already had it since release and paid about a fiver, and in my hands it sounds like that comedy single from the 80’s (with the sampled dog barks) on a cheap Casio, barking out God Save The Queen or summat. I think there was a sheep one too.

So the perceived value of this app is always going to be influenced by the skills of the person playing it. In Cuckoo’s hands it’s priceless, in mine, about £4.99. Bah.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

You can get samples in via the files app by using “copy to Samplr” from the share menu. With pop-over mode it’s not so bad really. But yeh, at this point not having full files app integration is pretty far behind the times. I’d rather see the update as it is than have it delayed for that though. Very happy to see this Update. B)

[edit] Comments above made looking at the wrong version. As pointed out by others later, the folder is exposed in the files app, so it's now easy to copy things in and out.

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

This is also why the price is relative. A lot of people will tell you it's worth buying an iPad for, so what is expensive?

• edited February 2020

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

This is also why the price is relative. A lot of people will tell you it's worth buying an iPad for, so what is expensive?

As I said, for some it’s worth the money - those that can use it to its full potential. Others, like me, will have a quick play and then forget about it for seven years.

If I had £30 to spend on music software today I’d get the Sugar Bytes Obscurium VST that’s on sale. But that’s just my personal choice. Others will buy this app and make better music with it than I can.

It’s an instrument. Some people buy guitars and they end up in the attic, unplayed, unloved.

• Like a lot of us said before, if Samplr exists as standalone hardware, people pays $500 or more for this machine

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:
    If I had £30 to spend on music software today I’d get the Sugar Bytes Obscurium VST that’s on sale. But that’s just my personal choice. Others will buy this app and make better music with it than I can.

Never heard of this before. Looks cool...

Where's that sale by the way?

• @palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

I agree on transport midi and files integration. Seems like adding midi would mean adding another layer to the app code which would have meant much more work.

I suffer from codophobia so it’s only a speculation on my part.

• @rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:

Never heard of this before. Looks cool...

Where's that sale by the way?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37039/rare-60-off-sale-on-obscurium-vst-desktop#latest