Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr 1.4 with Ableton Link is out

Comments

• Having so much fun with this. I have to check MIDI sync —it could be a perfect companion for Logic via the iConnectivityAudio4+

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    @wim: not sure if you noticed: Samplr's directory is exposed. You can move files into its folder using the Files app and it will see them. May be less convenient than if it had the browser access inside the app. But not terrible either.

Humm? Not on my ipad.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@LeeB said:
    I meant to post this a while back.
    Apparat using Samplr live from around 30.25 minutes in

Video unavailable.

Try clicking through to Youtube rather than watching it embedded here - worked for me that way.

Great gig!

• I stumbled upon this interesting trick this morning. Just changing the Play Mode with the same sample and the same recorded gestures can lead to surprising results. Creating new spectacular soundscapes!

The 2 examples shown in the video are each using one sample with its original set of recorded gestures done in Bow Mode.

I have not used any of the new features except the "Open in" from AudioShare.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

You can get samples in via the files app by using “copy to Samplr” from the share menu. With pop-over mode it’s not so bad really. But yeh, at this point not having full files app integration is pretty far behind the times. I’d rather see the update as it is than have it delayed for that though. Very happy to see this Update. B)

@wim: not sure if you noticed: Samplr's directory is exposed. You can move files into its folder using the Files app and it will see them. May be less convenient than if it had the browser access inside the app. But not terrible either.

Ah, well spotted! Perfect!

Yeah I spotted that, this is a massive improvement in workflow. I can now directly copy files from desktop into Samplr using SMB fileshare. That and Link makes this back in regular service :)

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Humm? Not on my ipad.

If you go to Files app, there isn't a Sampr folder On My iPad?

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Humm? Not on my ipad.

Correct.

**[edit] ... but that would be because I didn't have the right version! :D :D **
    **OK, no more morning posts before the coffee kicks in. **

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Humm? Not on my ipad.

Correct.

**[edit] ... but that would be _because I didn't have the right version! :D :D
    OK, no more posts before the coffee kicks in. **

I have it in my Files On My iPad app.

• @slicetwo said:
    I have it in my Files On My iPad app.

yep. My bad. User error.

• Great to learn that it now supports the File app and the project files are there too!

@Faland said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@Faland said:
    I am absolutely in favor of an app that has a fair price. Certainly the new price is high and for some (many?) too high but, honesty, I must say that it was the previous price that was too low.

There are many apps now (unfortunately? thankfully?) in this price range.
    With regard to some, we can discuss whether the price is objectively high. Samplr is not among them, objectively.
    It is not for everyone, but for those for whom it is, it is the best possible.

No such thing as an objective price. That being said, I am amused by people’s need to let other people know that they’d pay 50p at most. That’s very interesting. 🙄

are you referring to me? just to know

Just the objective price reference. No insult intended, it’s just something that annoys me in my professional life. Price, or rather the value of an economic good, is subjective and there’s no way to somehow determine an objective value.

But again, no insult intended so if you feel slighted I apologise.

Don't worry, I don't feel offended in any way, but I simply don't need to let people know how much I paid for any apps or anything else.

• Hm. Bluetooth audio doesn’t seem to work. Am I doing anything wrong?

• @supadom said:

@palms said:
    @markos thanks for the update. Sync was the one thing missing to effectively use with my hardware. Very excited to to revisit this wonderful thing you've made. like many here, it's the one that led me to get an ipad in the first place.

I had a feeling that the much anticipated update would not be Auv3, and I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for more midi control (for pause/play of samples, envelope control etc). Also, I find the decision to include Dropbox import but not support Files app integration a bit frustrating.

I agree on transport midi and files integration. Seems like adding midi would mean adding another layer to the app code which would have meant much more work.

I suffer from codophobia so it’s only a speculation on my part.

What was wrong with the previous version?
    Been running Samplr on an iPad 1 and it synced well to an external MIDI clock master (KORG Electribe MX)

@Faland said:
    I am absolutely in favor of an app that has a fair price. Certainly the new price is high and for some (many?) too high but, honesty, I must say that it was the previous price that was too low.

With regard to some, we can discuss whether the price is objectively high. Samplr is not among them, objectively.

No such thing as an objective price. That being said, I am amused by people’s need to let other people know that they’d pay 50p at most. That’s very interesting. 🙄

Please don't pull it out of context. @Jocphone answered to @MonzoPro's statement:

So the perceived value of this app is always going to be influenced by the skills of the person playing it. In Cuckoo’s hands it’s priceless, in mine, about £4.99. Bah.

And @Jocphone, at least that's how I got it, hints at rating his own skills by naming a fictional price.

Worth about 50p to me then, and that's probably on the generous side. Won't be stumping up thirty quid for it.

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

@palms said:

I agree on transport midi and files integration. Seems like adding midi would mean adding another layer to the app code which would have meant much more work.

I suffer from codophobia so it’s only a speculation on my part.

What was wrong with the previous version?
    Been running Samplr on an iPad 1 and it synced well to an external MIDI clock master (KORG Electribe MX)

I’m happy about the sync I’m talking about being able to map transport for all tracks separately to a controller. I love manipulating samples on the screen but not too keen on the two finger action to start and stop tracks, a bit awkward live.

If I was feeling Christmassy I’d ask @Marcos for including all controls in automation, including effects. That would be amazing.

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:

@Faland said:

Please don't pull it out of context. @Jocphone answered to @MonzoPro's statement:

So the perceived value of this app is always going to be influenced by the skills of the person playing it. In Cuckoo’s hands it’s priceless, in mine, about £4.99. Bah.

And @Jocphone, at least that's how I got it, hints at rating his own skills by naming a fictional price.

Worth about 50p to me then, and that's probably on the generous side. Won't be stumping up thirty quid for it.

Yeah I think that’s the gist of it.

Interestingly Mr Bastard stated “Price, or rather the value of an economic good, is subjective and there’s no way to somehow determine an objective value”, which kind of endorses mine and Joc’s position on it. Not that I agree with that statement - pricing has to be objective, but the perceived value will always be subjective.

I had a few more sessions with it yesterday, but it’s gone back in the cupboard. I prefer to use Spacecraft, ReSlice, iDensity etc. as they’re AU, and fit better into my workflow. Jumping backwards and forwards out of AUM to an IAA window is very 2010’s.

Objectively I would have increased the price by a fiver, to cover the update and not scare off new buyers, then raised it to £20 in a few months time, with regular sales at a tenner. The competition is a lot fiercer than it was seven years ago, and I think sales will struggle at the current price.

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Faland said:

Yeah I think that’s the gist of it.

Interestingly Mr Bastard stated “Price, or rather the value of an economic good, is subjective and there’s no way to somehow determine an objective value”, which kind of endorses mine and Joc’s position on it. Not that I agree with that statement - pricing has to be objective, but the perceived value will always be subjective.

I had a few more sessions with it yesterday, but it’s gone back in the cupboard. I prefer to use Spacecraft, ReSlice, iDensity etc. as they’re AU, and fit better into my workflow. Jumping backwards and forwards out of AUM to an IAA window is very 2010’s.

Objectively I would have increased the price by a fiver, to cover the update and not scare off new buyers, then raised it to £20 in a few months time, with regular sales at a tenner. The competition is a lot fiercer than it was seven years ago, and I think sales will struggle at the current price.

That sounds very reasonable. In fact I think that developers don't even have too much choice as they can easily see the (indirect) effect of app price vs app sales.
    It's also very much up to the developer's philosophy. Some like to catch new customers that wouldn't have bought the app otherwise with an attractively low price, others set a fixed price once and that's it.

In regards to Samplr, I totally agree, I consider it a standalone app that can also be run teamed up with other gear. More like the tool for playful experiments and going the first steps in song composition. At the point when you have collected a good set of snapshots, it's certainly a good idea to continue the work in a more DAW-like app and do all the housekeeping to finish the song - just an additional workflow option when inspiration fails to deliver B)

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:

I absolutely agree.

At this price I will never buy Samplr, it's a matter of fact: it's not the absolute price figure but the sudden 300% step up. This for me is just intolerable, another bad sign of these harsh times of greed all over this world (I know...maybe it sounds dramatic :wink: but look around).

As said, my experimental needs are well covered by Spacecraft, Tardigrain, Borderlands Granular and more (some with AUv3, MPE and so on too).

• Thanks to the developers of the aforementioned Apps, whom I enjoy their creations and I have paid for what THEY SET as a right price and, you see, it's also in line with customers expectations, at least mine; or not?

• Sorry for @Marcos who will never see neither my 10 €... leaving aside the 33 € (Am I the only one? Don't think so)

For me it's a closed issue. Be free to pay hundreds € or $ if you enjoy, maybe you will help to level iOS market prices like desktop ones, as many seem glad to have; I'm just an amateur with little money and I will not be part of this.

Yes, I am a little upset for this issue, but nevermind, at the end of this post it is already gone away. I'm going to play a little with the updated Borderland. Enjoy life! :smile: :smile: :smile:

• edited February 2020

@Sinthemau said:

@MonzoPro said:

I absolutely agree.

At this price I will never buy Samplr, it's a matter of fact: it's not the absolute price figure but the sudden 300% step up. This for me is just intolerable, another bad sign of these harsh times of greed all over this world (I know...maybe it sounds dramatic :wink: but look around).

As said, my experimental needs are well covered by Spacecraft, Tardigrain, Borderlands Granular and more (some with AUv3, MPE and so on too).

• Thanks to the developers of the aforementioned Apps, whom I enjoy their creations and I have paid for what THEY SET as a right price and, you see, it's also in line with customers expectations, at least mine; or not?

• Sorry for @Marcos who will never see neither my 10 €... leaving aside the 33 € (Am I the only one? Don't think so)

For me it's a closed issue. Be free to pay hundreds € or $ if you enjoy, maybe you will help to level iOS market prices like desktop ones, as many seem glad to have; I'm just an amateur with little money and I will not be part of this.

Yes, I am a little upset for this issue, but nevermind, at the end of this post it is already gone away. I'm going to play a little with the updated Borderland. Enjoy life! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Wow, some strong statements there. Some thoughts from me.

1. We don't know what pushed the dev to hike the price. Greed, market forces, personal circumstances? We just don't know.
    2. Music apps prices have been going up recently.
    3. Making apps, arguably isn't a 'supporting broke musicians' project.
    4. This app has been underpriced for years! (IMHO).
    5. If your needs are covered by other apps there's surely no need to lament.
    6. I don't think @Marcos is after your money per se. Hiking price strategies don't always mean his takings increase.
    7. Considering legendary status of the app and the fact that it 'just works' and has just been updated to Link would have taken a lot of dev's likely limited time.
    8. Prices of IOS music apps have been shockingly low compared to desktop. (I'm not rich).
    9. Agree with @Monzo here. I would have done in smaller increments over time but...(see point 1.)
  • Frankly, I'm confused.
    A few months ago I was attacked for the exact opposite, when I said that FabFilter and Eventide were likely to raise the prices of the apps for ios with their pricing policy. In fact, now apps have come out that far exceed the bar (until recently, inconceivable) of € 100.

That time, I had everyone against. Someone also wrote that he hoped that no one at Eventide would read that post otherwise there was a risk that they would abandon the porting on ios of their effects.
    Now, apart from the huge esteem that those who wrote these things have for me, enough to make him think that my comment could influence the business decisions of a company like Eventide, that case was being discussed about Blackhole, which is ultimately an app much simpler than Samplr, and costs 3 or 4 times the price of other equally good reverbs (to my taste even better) and that is sold for € 21.99.

Honestly, I find the price requested for Samplr much more justified in proportion than that of Blackhole or any FabFilter effect.
    Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like apps to cost 50 cents. Even I don't have much money and I am often forced to leave many things that I would like to be able to buy.

At this point, someone could insert themselves into the speech by stating that money (let alone any app) does not bring happiness, and the discussion would take an even more OT turn.
    So, to sum up, if you want it, this is the price, otherwise wait for a sale, or do without it as I and other people have done many and many times. In the end, it’s just an app. Cheers.

• Marcos is probably just testing the waters. Why shouldn't he when some people here said it was way underpriced (although I'm not sure if they'd actually purchase it again now after a 3-fold price increase). He can readjust the price anytime when he feels like it.

• Just to repeat what I said earlier: the price is the same as the main Korg apps. Syntronik or iSymphonic with IAPs can run you multiples of that. Hiking the price with no advance warning may not have been the wisest decision but the price itself is hardly out of the ordinary.

• @supadom said:

I love manipulating samples on the screen but not too keen on the two finger action to start and stop tracks, a bit awkward live.
    If I was feeling Christmassy I’d ask @Marcos for including all controls in automation, including effects. That would be amazing.

Yeah track starting is unnecessarily fiddly, and starting and stopping automation recording is awkward too when you're playing live, needs a mapping for that as well. An audio out for each track? Yes please.

But now Link is here and basic Files integration, it's surprisingly taken on new life for me again at least :)

• edited February 2020

@Faland said:
    that case was being discussed about Blackhole, which is ultimately an app much simpler than Samplr

What made you come to that conclusion? Top-of-the-line reverb algorithms are some of the most complex commodities in the industry. Just because it has fewer buttons doesn't mean it's simpler B)

• @supadom said:

1. We don't know what pushed the dev to hike the price. Greed, market forces, personal circumstances? We just don't know.
    6. I don't think @Marcos is after your money per se. Hiking price strategies don't always mean his takings increase.
    7. Considering legendary status of the app and the fact that it 'just works' and has just been updated to Link would have taken a lot of dev's likely limited time.
    8. Prices of IOS music apps have been shockingly low compared to desktop. (I'm not rich).
    9. Agree with @Monzo here. I would have done in smaller increments over time but...(see point 1.)

These are rightly your toughts as are mine and I believe that here we all have the right to make our statements in full respect of each other.

Just a little one about your point 8: I come to iOS from Windows mainly for App prices, strongly lower and with good quality (IMHO).
    If I see a substantial increase of them (300% it is), I will revert to Windows and buy only what I judge fair (a lot of App I own and use with satisfaction).

As for point 5: I would have loved to play with Samplr because it seems surely intersting (I love mainly experimental stuff) but cannot/would't/shouldn't , so why not had I to lament? Is it not my right? As is right for every seller to set a price he like? As you wrote your toughts? As everyone write here?

I say only that a SUDDEN INCREASE of 300% price FOR EVERY GOODS in this world is crazy and destabilizing, as far as good the item could be.

What about this kind of increase if it should happen for every one preferred pastime? Movies tickets from € 10 to € 30, fuel € 1.6 to € 4.8 and so on ad libitum.
    You can say: "Pity I cannot go to the seaside or to the movies with my children...but I would have loved it and children too, damn! You have not to go but you had loved to go. So the same for this little thing that is an App BTW, and luckily it's only an App not more serious thing :smile:

Not judging what pushed the seller to do so, not interested, just valuing the output in my life.

So I lament, yes. One time and not going on again, music is only my pastime. Different would be for a more serious thing.

So please if you want to criticise my statement be free as I am to put it down: a SUDDEN INCREASE of 300% price is objectvely too much, whichever item I could think of.

This ends my writing about this story because it's not worth to flame and make war for something so irrelevant as an App. Enjoy music, with or without this App, and thanks to the great forum and people partecipating.
    Cheers

• are we going to debate the price difference between minute rice and regular jasmine rice next?? cuz if so!! i have some strong opinions !! ✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻🤪🤣

• @reasOne said:
    are we going to debate the price difference between minute rice and regular jasmine rice next?? cuz if so!! i have some strong opinions !! ✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻🤪🤣

Minute rice is for uncultured swine. There, I said it.

• edited February 2020

People demanded an update to an app that already worked.

“I will pay/do anything” and
    “I’ve contacted the developer a few times” were common phrases.

Your wishes have been granted, rejoice!!!

• edited February 2020

@Sinthemau said:

@supadom said:

These are rightly your toughts as are mine and I believe that here we all have the right to make our statements in full respect of each other.

Just a little one about your point 8: I come to iOS from Windows mainly for App prices, strongly lower and with good quality (IMHO).
    If I see a substantial increase of them (300% it is), I will revert to Windows and buy only what I judge fair (a lot of App I own and use with satisfaction).

As for point 5: I would have loved to play with Samplr because it seems surely intersting (I love mainly experimental stuff) but cannot/would't/shouldn't , so why not had I to lament? Is it not my right? As is right for every seller to set a price he like? As you wrote your toughts? As everyone write here?

I say only that a SUDDEN INCREASE of 300% price FOR EVERY GOODS in this world is crazy and destabilizing, as far as good the item could be.

What about this kind of increase if it should happen for every one preferred pastime? Movies tickets from € 10 to € 30, fuel € 1.6 to € 4.8 and so on ad libitum.
    You can say: "Pity I cannot go to the seaside or to the movies with my children...but I would have loved it and children too, damn! You have not to go but you had loved to go. So the same for this little thing that is an App BTW, and luckily it's only an App not more serious thing :smile:

Not judging what pushed the seller to do so, not interested, just valuing the output in my life.

So I lament, yes. One time and not going on again, music is only my pastime. Different would be for a more serious thing.

So please if you want to criticise my statement be free as I am to put it down: a SUDDEN INCREASE of 300% price is objectvely too much, whichever item I could think of.

This ends my writing about this story because it's not worth to flame and make war for something so irrelevant as an App. Enjoy music, with or without this App, and thanks to the great forum and people partecipating.
    Cheers

First of all I don’t think that every exchange of differing opinions should lead to conflict or to be perceived as violent. I choose to believe that there is such a thing as a friendly exchange of opposing beliefs.

Analogies/parallels to other products work on the surface. However as soon as you start exploring concepts such as subsidies and globalisation you’ll soon find out that the price you pay at the counter is rarely equivalent to the amount of work required to produce something. In fact a basic commodity such as milk is subsidised in the uk because, amongst other reasons, it would be deemed ‘too expensive’. The fact is that it is not the milk that is expensive but people aren’t rewarded adequate salaries for their work.

So it is very likely that it is not that you cannot afford Samplr because of its high price but because you’re not being adequately rewarded for your work, assuming that you do have a job. Therefore instead of blaming Marcos for the new price of samplr you should channel your energy into making sure you get paid the right wage according to your effort.

I didn’t bring this idea up out of desperation. Unfortunately we’ve been brainwashed into believing in cheap produce without ever considering the repercussions. TBH I don’t know whether this information is going to change your perception of the price increase of an iOS app but might just provide some food for though in regards to dire situation the vast majority of inhabitants of this planet are finding themselves in.

• @brambos said:

@Faland said:
    that case was being discussed about Blackhole, which is ultimately an app much simpler than Samplr

What made you come to that conclusion? Top-of-the-line reverb algorithms are some of the most complex commodities in the industry. Just because it has fewer buttons doesn't mean it's simpler B)

My bad, I was wrong evidently, but that doesn't change things much, imho. Blackhole has been on the market for many years, its desktop version is often offered at a discount price slightly higher than that for ios, so I believe that a price more in line with similar products would have been more reasonable. But this is only my opinion, and this, allow me, remains unchanged, as unchanged remains the fact of not agreeing with me. Best.