Alchemy looks like it will be dead post Jul 7 2015

Camel Audio have apparently shut up shop.

This is what it says at their site.

"January 8, 2015
We would like to thank you for the support we've received over the years in our efforts to create instruments and effects plug-ins and sound libraries. Camel Audio's plug-ins, Alchemy Mobile IAPs and sound libraries are no longer available for purchase. We will continue to provide downloads of your previous purchases and email support until July 7, 2015. We recommend you download all of your purchases and back them up so that you can continue to use them (Instructions: How to Download and Backup Your Products)."

Does anyone have any more info. ? This seems like a big blow - not only for iOS but also on the desktop.

«13456789

Comments

  • edited January 2015

    That's... Out of the blue. Maybe someone can take the baton, so to speak. Wonder what happened.

  • That is absolutely dismal news.

  • Pretty weird because I was using Alchemy just now and was wondering how to upgrade it to full. (The Sound Library section with the IAP upgrades was empty.)

    I figured it was just my device playing up, but wow that is a sad and unexpected development.
    I thought Camel Audio were here to stay, especially in the desktop world with their long history and I assume large user base.
    Great Instruments too.

  • edited January 2015

    Maybe they sold their company to Apple. Logic needs some fresh instruments ;-)

  • I have emailed the higher-ups at Camel Audio and will hopefully get some questions and concerns answered. I'll post back once I hear something. Here's my email:

    Hi Ben and Chris,

    I was very sad to learn the news about Camel Audio. For me personally, and for many other iOS musicians, Alchemy Mobile Studio has played a key role in our creative processes, inspiring thousands of tracks. I was actually just wondering today when the next sound library would pop up. Camel Audio will be sorely missed.

    I'm sure things are a bit crazy right now, but the iOS music community is buzzing about the shut down. As you know, the iOS ecosystem puts some serious limitations on users compared to the desktop when it comes to installing and re-installing apps. Particularly, the Pro Upgrade IAP in Alchemy Mobile Studio seems like it will become a barrier to re-installing libraries if it can no longer be validated after July. I hope there is some plan to allow users to have full pro-level functionality now that the IAPs are no longer available.

    I'm more than happy to act as a laison between Camel Audio and the iOS music community during this transition in order to reduce the amount of noise a little. If you have any information you can offer, or if there's anything at all I can do for you, please let me know.

    Also, I'd like to personally thank you for the work you've done that has provided so much inspiration and enjoyment.

    Thanks,
    Clif

  • @klangsulfat said:

    Maybe they sold their company to Apple. Logic needs some fresh instruments ;-)

    If I was a company with a DAW I'd certainly make some inquiries. Though not sure how those sample libraries are created and who owns the rights and everything, but that would be one of my inquiries.

  • Shocking.

  • I am the only one smelling a lawsuit when something this happens in the Music Industry? Maybe I am just paranoid, actually I am sure the internet makes me paranoid.

    Seems like they have a ton of valuable software and such, can't imagine someone will not pick up their stuff.

  • Wow. While I have been away from the audiobus forum over the past half year I have been working on my freelance music business. I have composed and written songs for apps, games, videos, podcasts, etc (along with many other creative freelance ventures).... And Alchemy has been one of my key money makers. This frankly sucks... Of all the various programs I have purchased, my success owes a lot to Camel Audio.

  • I was afraid this might start happening. I'd be interested to know if iOS sales failed to meet expectations and/or cannibalized desktop sales. Other companies of this size may be vulnerable if this was what happened. Still a shock though. Reminds me of when Unity went tits up.

  • Can't even access their website or is it only me?

  • Damn, that sucks. I met Ben at NAMM earlier this year, seemed like a good group of people at Camel. Hopefully they can work something out but from the sound of it they've made their decision already, which couldn't have been easy to make.

  • @aaronpc said:

    I was afraid this might start happening. I'd be interested to know if iOS sales failed to meet expectations and/or cannibalized desktop sales. Other companies of this size may be vulnerable if this was what happened. Still a shock though. Reminds me of when Unity went tits up.

    If they are disappearing due to anything profit related, I would imagine that piracy of their desktop apps is more of a reason than low iOS sales.

  • Also, if you still want to buy their desktop plugins, JRRShop still has them available:

    http://www.jrrshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=camel&order=relevance&dir=desc

    Doesn't help those only on iOS, but might be useful to some.

  • I wouldnt recommend anyone buying camel stuff now, it will probably be impossible to register them at camel audio!

  • edited January 2015

    Why so negative? Maybe the company has been sold and the Camel Audio founders are rich now ...

  • I hope someone will take them over & continue the software. Sad new indeed for every one in the music business.

  • In short Long Term Support iOS needs it...sad news.

  • Company sold? if this is a case they would inform (we were aquired by..)
    but not like this

  • Shocked :o Regretted my full library recent purchase on time....

  • Very sad news... Alchemy was one of few great universal apps, and a very innovative synth to boot. I remember seeing it endorsed by many famous names in electronic music, what happened?

  • @apptronica said:

    I'm sure things are a bit crazy right now, but the iOS music community is buzzing about the shut down. As you know, the iOS ecosystem puts some serious limitations on users compared to the desktop when it comes to installing and re-installing apps. Particularly, the Pro Upgrade IAP in Alchemy Mobile Studio seems like it will become a barrier to re-installing libraries if it can no longer be validated after July. I hope there is some plan to allow users to have full pro-level functionality now that the IAPs are no longer available.

    I re-installed Alchemy Mobile Studio as soon as I heard of the shut down. But "shock" I couldn't download the Pro-Upgrade nor the IAP Soundpacks ( I bought them all!). When I tried to restore previous purchases, it said, there were no purchases to be restored! And I have no backup of them, what can I do? This can't be true!
    I sent a mail to @camelaudio, now waiting for an answer.

  • That is a shock, they are a long standing and respected player. Let's hope that at least someone is able to pick up and support their products.

  • I would suggest copying and pasting to PC everything you can find with iFunbox (Classic mode).

  • edited January 2015

    @Cemaro said:

    I re-installed Alchemy Mobile Studio as soon as I heard of the shut down. But "shock" I couldn't download the Pro-Upgrade nor the IAP Soundpacks ( I bought them all!). When I tried to restore previous purchases, it said, there were no purchases to be restored! And I have no backup of them, what can I do? This can't be true!
    I sent a mail to @camelaudio, now waiting for an answer.

    It worked for me. I just re-installed, restored purchases, and downloaded new presets from their website.

    Come to think of it, it was kind of odd they didn't do any kind of app sale over Black Friday or the holidays. They must have been too far gone financially at that point and did the ethical thing, knowing the end was near.

  • The other thing we all need to be aware, is that, when Apple update to IOS 9, & Alchemy Mobile doesn't work, because it may need updating to it, or the next Audio Bus update. We all have wasted our money, especially if we have paid for all sound packs. I really hope this will not happen?

  • Sorry to sound negative to every one, but really being realistic really.

  • SALUTE!

Sign In or Register to comment.