Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alchemy looks like it will be dead post Jul 7 2015

Comments

• A@JohnnyGoodyear said:

My mother always said How can I miss you if you won't go away? and having opened up this sudden orphan just now I kind of get what she meant (finally :)...

Alchemy and Flappy Bird now have something in common. I wonder if we'll soon see people gouging prices on their Alchemy-loaded iOS devices on eBay?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!

One of my favourite little tales this one - although in the version I first heard they were to develop a phrase to be engraved on a gold ring that would be apply when the King was both happy and sad.

• Fav synth hands down. Bloody hell ...

• edited January 2015

I'm getting a little worried now as I was just reading the kvr thread and vaz plugs are suspending sales due to the eu vat thing, as MusicInclusive was talking about further up in this thread. I hope this isn't the reason as camel audio were quite big indie devs, but just in case I'm going to start backing up a few things from smaller devs, maybe it's time for me to invest in a NAS instead of having everything scattered across a few external hd's.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=427578&sid=5fa7a0d6009aadf2d96145a8743a3498

The impending change in EU VAT law*, which comes into effect on 1st January 2015, means that the current approach to selling VAZ products through Paypal will most likely have to be ended by that date.

The only bulletproof way round this that I'm aware of would be to use a reseller who would handle VAT matters. This would most likely take a chunk from revenue.

The second faint possibility is that an exemption will be established, but this would have to be bulletproof, I will not risk a "hobby" having legal implications.

Update 31/12/2014: sales are now suspended.

Martin

• @xen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!

One of my favourite little tales this one - although in the version I first heard they were to develop a phrase to be engraved on a gold ring that would be apply when the King was both happy and sad.

Yep, there are many variations (in many cultures). I first heard it as being something that was to be inscribed on the huge portal of a tremendously grand temple a Sultan had had built to celebrate his own magnificence....I like the ring version very much, as the hook is that magical idea that there is something to make you happy when sad and sad when happy, as you say :)

• edited January 2015

Still a little surprised that there wasn't some sort of sale....as the drop-dead (ugh) date is July, I imagine we have more to hear on this story...

• Maybe we can clamour like we did when we got Twinkies back ... munches comfort Twinkie

• edited January 2015

I'm sorry to hear about the demise of Camel Audio. I wonder what will happen to IAPs? As obviously restore purchases will no longer work.

• With no real explanation from CA I would say that's maybe due to legal reasons, Sold maybe?, but with the statement it clearly says backup Alchemy, sound packs etc., so no more Alchemy, well at least from CA. To me that statement looks bleak, final though. Still a really sad day.

• I'll have a look now into my purchase list.There is a good chance that i bought at least all soundpacks in the last 90 days so i can claim a refund.

• Is there any precident on iOS of a developer failing and as regards to the responsibility with IAP, ie. Apple or the Developer. But all could mean nothing without any updates it will sooner or later break, let's hope someone has bought CA and continues development. This is the big problem with iOS, it needs LTS, if the developer fails, sooner or later it's farewell App.

• Thats weird an expensive synth and no explanation at all for their customers, that is not right

• So there's a new tax in Europe and all of a sudden it's the end of the entire software industry?
    Get a grip people....

• edited January 2015

I doubt a company would fold due to losing, for example 17% of their sales profit through additional VAT costs - unless their turnover was particularly precarious, and even then they could just add the increase to the cost of their apps. It's not a physical product, there are no packaging or shipping costs so they can always boost sales with....a sale.

More likely is the ongoing development costs to them of keeping their products supported and up to date, which (at least app-wise) brings in zero income in relation to new sales.

Or maybe the owner just got fed up with the hassle of running a business and had got a better offer of paid employment. All speculation...could be anything really.

• I'm certain they have been bought out.

• edited January 2015

ios loaded devices on ebay you say? hMM@monzo said:

I doubt a company would fold due to losing, for example 17% of their sales profit through additional VAT costs - unless their turnover was particularly precarious, and even then they could just add the increase to the cost of their apps. It's not a physical product, there are no packaging or shipping costs so they can always boost sales with....a sale.

More likely is the ongoing development costs to them of keeping their products supported and up to date, which (at least app-wise) brings in zero income in relation to new sales.

Or maybe the owner just got fed up with the hassle of running a business and had got a better offer of paid employment. All speculation...could be anything really.

>
    >

This makes a lot of sense.

• Additional VAT cost / collection alone is not the issue @monzo, it's the overhead of registration, bookkeeping, disbursements to potentially 28 EU states, new business compliances etc. etc. There's a long KVR thread on it in which several have indicated it being no longer worthwhile to continue.

• edited January 2015

Oh, this old world

keeps spinning round

It's a wonder tall trees

ain't layin' down

There comes a time....

• @knewspeak said:

Is there any precident on iOS of a developer failing and as regards to the responsibility with IAP, ie. Apple or the Developer. But all could mean nothing without any updates it will sooner or later break, let's hope someone has bought CA and continues development. This is the big problem with iOS, it needs LTS, if the developer fails, sooner or later it's farewell App.

How is this a problem with IOS a any more than with windows or OS X if the developer of a program fails then sooner or later it will be farewell to that program

• edited January 2015

@BiancaNeve given the history of iOS upgrades, this will likely happen in less than a year from now versus Windows or OS X which are viable for several years. In addition, if you don't upgrade to the new iOS many of your apps or new apps may not be functional. On computers you can also have them run multiple versions of an OS to continue to provide the functionality whereas this isn't an option with iOS.

• Well let see what happens at NAMM

• @BiancaNeve said:

@knewspeak said:

Is there any precident on iOS of a developer failing and as regards to the responsibility with IAP, ie. Apple or the Developer. But all could mean nothing without any updates it will sooner or later break, let's hope someone has bought CA and continues development. This is the big problem with iOS, it needs LTS, if the developer fails, sooner or later it's farewell App.

How is this a problem with IOS a any more than with windows or OS X if the developer of a program fails then sooner or later it will be farewell to that program

I can install Windows XP (or run a VM) on any old computer I have laying around in order to run older software. Apple physically prevent you from downgrading iOS in order to accomplish the same.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@knewspeak said:

With iOS that sooner or later is likely a lot sooner.

• Bit of a shock... But these things happen.

It says in their message:

"We will continue to provide downloads of your previous purchases and email support until July 7, 2015."

So does anyone know how I can download my previously purchased IAPs if I don't have them backed up? The fact that restore purchases seems not to work seems in direct opposition to the above.

• edited January 2015

Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble of Gearslutz

I just pulled their accounts from Companies House, thinking they might have run into trouble. They had a reasonable amount of cash in the bank, although they were small enough to only have to file abbreviated accounts, which more or less ruled out that theory unless something really bad happened in the past nine months.

However, the SH01 form, which updates the information on who holds the shares was filed with today's date and is not yet available electronically. So, an IP sale seems likely, particularly as the circumstances are very similar to the Apple purchase of Redmatica's IP: so long guys, thanks for all the fish; here are some download links; use them before we switch off the server.

• Alchemy still runs on my ipad1 albeit no audiobus etc. but they didn't exist when I got that iPad

• This is sad news indeed. Due to the fact that it is supported back to iOS5 all the way up to iOS8, it's universal, wonderful and responsive developers, and all of the tweak-ability built in, I believe Alchemy is one of the greatest apps iOS has seen.

RIP Alchemy

As far as the IAP's go, perhaps the fact that the news is spreading like wildfire, their servers must be getting hit quite hard right now.

• Yep, just checked mine on iOS 8. Everything's there and working fine, only noticeable difference is the same generic icon on all the soundpacks.

• "an IP sale seems likely"

Yeah, wouldn't make sense for them to just up and close shop. They're sitting on valuable assets.

• edited January 2015

A) Be interesting to know how many iOS users/customers they have.

B) Yes on their servers getting slammed. I have run three machines through their looking for IAPs / re-installing etc. Things are slow.

C) Must surely all come out in the wash, but who can bet against XXX Alchemy Pro Plus hitting the market at some point OR in a forum far, far away (in the future) folks are talking about how they'd love to see XXX bring back an emulation of the old Alchemy and then one or two us (not me) who are still alive will shake our fists and tell em all how it sounded better back in the day before JetPads....