Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alchemy looks like it will be dead post Jul 7 2015

Comments

• @mister_rz Totally forgot about Windows users being left out to dry. That throws a significant wrinkle into the whole thing.

• What would be interesting is to hear from the sound designers for Alchemy 2, if they respond probably means they're out of work, if silence is the answer could be they are under a NDA.

• edited January 2015

Esp. good point there @1P18. Plus, if Alchemy had only previously been a plugin in Logic, I'd have never have obtained Alchemy. I have the latest Logic on MacOS (it is far from being my main desktop DAW - more a convenience to have around), but if I'd wanted Alchemy I would not have purchased Logic just to obtain Alchemy. (My point being, I think it exists far better as a standalone product and has a wider reach).

OTOH, the other win to this might be if Apple (if Apple it be) took the original for-$ Alchemy for the desktop and rolled it into Logic for no price hike on Logic.

Still leaves the existing Windoze users of Alchemy - or potential future ones - out in the cold.

• Not knowing what went on behind the scenes, it does seem it could have been handled better from a user's perspective. Perhaps a silver lining is that Apple may be paying more attention to iOS as a music platform then I originally believed. One can hope!

• @1P18

Yeah is all a bit of a mare as camel made great tools, I use logic so if the rumours are true it lessens the blow a bit, maybe apple has plans to bring stuff over to ios like space and phat and have multi platform support, deep down though I doubt it, have to wait and see, but your suggestion of hosting old alchemy back-ups and those great libraries too, past july, would go a long way.

• Wasn't Logic once upon a time on Windows?

• @knewspeak

Yeah in the emagic days before apple made them an offer they couldn't refuse, I heard it involved a horses head and gaffa tape, I remember the fallout from that well, but at least apple kept developing logic and it never fell by the wayside as can be the case sometimes with buyouts.

• I doubt apple would give us an Alchemy 2 but they could be interested in the tech behind it. I "heard" that Alchemy 2 was going to be a huge step forward in morphing and resynthesis. Omnisphere 2 will be great but it's far away from the sample manipulation even Alchemy 1 can do yet. At the other side it's not the end of the world and there are tools like Halion 5 and MOTU Mach Five 3 which van do also great things. Maybe one day if the RAM is high enough those tools come to iOS.
    I don't think we see a Logic iOS soon since even the Garage Band iOS is far far away from the free OS X brother.
    The most important thing.... will iOS 9 kill it all :O

• I can see it in Logic 11, the new spectral granular synth, under a new boring name of course. Alchemy 2 had got to be nearing release, the sound designers were working on it, so I heard. Could also see a new version for iOS that gives more options for 'tweeking' as the tech on iOS is now way more powerful than when Alchemy was first released.

• Apple news/ Downtown Josh Brown ‏@ReformedBroker 3m3 minutes ago
    To reiterate, this company just sold 75 million phones in three months and has more CASH than the market cap of 480 S&P 500 companies.

• Even more speculation:

I don't think that July date of this year for the discontinuation of Alchemy is an arbitrary one. My guess is it will coincide with news about the future of the synth, or dare I say some sort of release??? I doubt the latter, but if 2.0 was close to release already, who knows.

I also tend to think Apple will want to get this out sooner rather than later. No sense in buying an intellectual property like Alchemy then just sitting on it. That would be a waste.

Also, this July will be two years from the release of Logic Pro X. Too soon for 11? Well, the jump from 8 to 9 was less than two years, and an addition of Alchemy would almost be worthy in itself of a jump to version 11.

• edited January 2015

Never mind, I'm not making any sense again...

• The weird, but obvious, thing is that I now go through the IAP banks I have for Alchemy a lot more mindfully. The roars of extinct dinosaurs sounding somehow sweeter etc.

• Odd. Just completed a TD inspired piece using 3 tracks of Alchemy last night, and now this bit of news. Sometimes strange, how things align.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The weird, but obvious, thing is that I now go through the IAP banks I have for Alchemy a lot more mindfully. The roars of extinct dinosaurs sounding somehow sweeter etc.

+1

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The weird, but obvious, thing is that I now go through the IAP banks I have for Alchemy a lot more mindfully. The roars of extinct dinosaurs sounding somehow sweeter etc.

Ha so true

• Thing with Alchemy it fused Sampling, Spectral and Granular synthesis together in unique accessible way, no other synth really has matched.

• I suppose I enjoy being considered insane, but my projection is that if Apple picked up Alchemy, it will be incorporated in a free version update. I Don't see them dropping the X moniker and what it stands for anytime soon. The whole point of their sales philosophy is for users to be talking up free updates so that their friends buy "premium" priced hardware. The hardware is partially subsidizing their pro software. Once we pay the "Pro" price to show we care about the idea of the software itself, it seems we'll have free updates, at least until hardware sales take a significant plunge. That said, if Apple buys back enough shares, it will be able to continue this method even in a downturn. I don't expect a "Logic 11" for years, if ever.

• edited January 2015

I've owned a ton of Apple stock over the last ten years and have followed Apple events closely because of that. Apple has bought companies simply to poach the employees and their domain knowledge and then just shut the company down and took the developers, designers and architects and put them on Apple products. This is a possibility.

My best guess is some of the stuff will turn up in Logic Pro, in what form, who knows? I can see some of the Sounds in Garage Band and Alchemy would be cool there as well both in OS X and on iOS. There may be some IP we don't know about in play here as well. I think Apple wants to make Logic Pro a better "Beats" machine, but I don't know enough about what that means to comment if this is part of that plan. Alchemy being a sample synth does seem to lead in that direction.

My guess is in a few months the news that they were purchased by Apple is released. Along the lines of "Apple has completed the acquisition of Camel Audio. Apple policy is to not discuss acquisitions." Eventually the buyer will have to announce the acquisition if they are a public company because the will need to disclose it in their 10-Q or 10-K when it completes. Probably we see pieces start appearing in a year or so as part of GB and LPX.

You can get to Camel's full site prior to the shutdown via the internet archive here.

As to buying back shares, even with the big buybacks they've already done, they announced that they have $178 BILLION in cash yesterday. SMH That is more cash than the total capitalization of all but the largest 25 companies in the world. What do you think they paid for Camel 70-80million or less?

• No honor among thieves.............................................

Silly me- I wanted to buy a new Camel audio pack for the alchemy app.
    I already HAD the House, Dub, and Minimal packs.

But, I couldn't see the option to buy them on the app anymore.

So, last night I decide to remove and re-install Alchemy app.

My loss.

• @studs1966 said:
    I received this mail from camelaudio yesterday:

Thank you for your support - sorry you've had problems with this. We are aware of the current issue regarding restoring in-app purchases and working on fixing it.

Apologies again for the temporary inconvenience.

Thanks.

Normally, with Camel Audio, if they say this, they normally do what they say they are going to do. Tho it take a little time, on the history of when they updated Alchemy, & when there were bug problems ...... But, positive news in any case.

I wonder if anyone has heard any further news on this issue?

• "Apple appears to have acquired popular music plug-in and effect maker Camel Audio, based on information found on corporate registry site Companies House [PDF]. Camel Audio's address has been updated to 100 New Bridge Street, which is Apple's London address, and the company's sole director is now listed as Apple lawyer Heather Joy Morrison, suggesting the company is in the possession of Apple."

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/23/apple-acquires-camel-audio/

• The only real explanation when a successful company goes dark and refuses to talk about it... Hopefully this will be a good thing.

• I'm not feeling that optimistic about the future of Alchemy on iOS, I'm assuming the synth is going to be integrated into Logic (that's pretty much a certainty), but anything beyond that is unfortunately fairly unlikely.

Shame for us really.

• Any news about the Alchemy Mobile IAP downloads?

• Alchemy will be resurrected post July 7. Go Apple.

• @FrankieJay said:
    Alchemy will be resurrected post July 7. Go Apple.

What are you referring to?

• @FrankieJay said:
    Alchemy will be resurrected post July 7. Go Apple.

So the question, who killed it comes to mind?