Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Hainbach and BramBos collab ?

Comments

• @catherder said:
    The shake randomisation is not working here. I’m using an iPad 9 with iOS 15.7.1
    Is anybody having the same problem, or is there anything I have to do to enable it?

It stopped working for me at one point when I had two instances running in AUM, otherwise it’s been ok. I’d prefer a standard randomiser button, to be honest.

I have also experienced bursts of loud white noise a few times now too, once in AUM, and twice in standalone.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    So the filter control in the left XY pad... is the centre the same as the current position of the cutoff knob, and both the top and bottom edges on the Y axis are a 0 position on the knob?

The setting of the knob is the maximum limit for the filter, so the XY control moves between the minimal setting of the filter and the maximum set by the knob.

• @monz0id said:
    I have also experienced bursts of loud white noise a few times now too, once in AUM, and twice in standalone.

I’ve had one other report of this wirh some hints on how to reproduce so I’m already looking into this :)

• edited December 2022

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    So the filter control in the left XY pad... is the centre the same as the current position of the cutoff knob, and both the top and bottom edges on the Y axis are a 0 position on the knob?

The setting of the knob is the maximum limit for the filter, so the XY control moves between the minimal setting of the filter and the maximum set by the knob.

But is the centre the position of the knob, and each 'end' the 0 position? So effectively the Y axis is split in half, with middle to top and middle to bottom being the same thing in terms of sound?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

But is the centre the position of the knob, and each 'end' the 0 position? So effectively the Y axis is split in half, with middle to top and middle to bottom being the same thing in terms of sound?

Center position is 0 and the extremes are max.

• @flavorflaviansundial said:
    @Hainbach @brambos
    I was wrong about the name Fluss instead of Russ, but I had my mind blown all last night.

In my opinion, this outclasses every granular app/VST/pedal I am familiar with in terms of interactivity, musicality, and audio quality (not that others aren not also great instruments).

Everything I've tried with it has been stunning, and while I have used it to make walls of glitching noise, but I'm most impressed by running Mononoke through it as a melodic processor. Setting friction to zero and scale to zero and letting the pitch balls continually bounce off each other is crazy, all these evolving songs come out that sound like three flute players playing an isorhythmic composition that drifts in and out of harmony with each other. It reminds me of some Guillaume de Machaut pieces (), but coming from the future with a kind of angelic yet alien flute replacing the voices.

Very inspiring and musical for me personally. Thank you both your hard work! Bram, your code is insane and I will always instabuy anything you make. I'd pay a lot more for a Windows VST too!

Wow thanks! That’s wonderful! :)

• @brambos said:

@monz0id said:

I’ve had one other report of this wirh some hints on how to reproduce so I’m already looking into this :)

Thanks Brambos. I thought it might be memory or CPU related (long samples, and loads of other AU’s hosted in AUM), but it recently happened in standalone, with just a ten second sample.

• @brambos said:

@rheslip said:
    A wet/dry mix control in the processor where the record button is in the recorder.

This is currently split into 2 separate controls:

• the "input" knob left of the timeline is your DRY (this sets how much the input signal is mixed into the output)
    • the "volume" knob is your WET (this only affects the grain engine output)

So it's not combined into a single knob, but the functionality is there :)

Thanks for the clarification Bram. Just loving this thing!

• @brambos could we maybe get a basic crop sample or ‘crop sample when save preset’ option?

I threw a long piece in to Fluss to dig around in & made couple presets that only use small chunks of the sample. But they’re nearly 20mb per preset -

Even though they’re only using small chunk of the file -

Feels like Fluss is gonna eat storage pretty hard pretty quick ;)

• @brambos said:

@Gavinski said:
    Also would still like clarification about the scales. As someone mentioned the custom scales are confusing and may need some kind of reworking, no? You play in a few notes in E maj scale for example, but if you actually choose E as the root note in Fluss it transposes everything up.

Well, I could renumber all the notes 0 - 12 and then treat the root note as a transpose. But that would be equally confusing.

It simply depends on the input sample, if that's not in C there's not much I can do about that I think (short of doing pitch detection which is not in the cards).

Can’t you just use global tune to repitch the sample so it’s “in key” ? I’m doing to harmonize different instances Fluss and it sounds ok to me.

• @monz0id said:

@catherder said:
    The shake randomisation is not working here. I’m using an iPad 9 with iOS 15.7.1
    Is anybody having the same problem, or is there anything I have to do to enable it?

It stopped working for me at one point when I had two instances running in AUM, otherwise it’s been ok. I’d prefer a standard randomiser button, to be honest.

Same here - a randomiser button would be great. If there are multiple instances of Fluss running, there is no choice but to randomise them all if shaking is the only way to trigger randomisation.

• Just managed to control Fluss with hand gestures by using MusiKraken as MIDI controller. Granular theremin fun! Setting up is a bit fiddly, because MusiKrakens AU host does not seem to allow me to control plugin parameters. In the end I sent the Krakens Midi stream to AUM and configured Midi CCs for Fluss (pitch, octave, cutoff, resonance).

• @catherder said:
    Just managed to control Fluss with hand gestures by using MusiKraken as MIDI controller. Granular theremin fun! Setting up is a bit fiddly, because MusiKrakens AU host does not seem to allow me to control plugin parameters. In the end I sent the Krakens Midi stream to AUM and configured Midi CCs for Fluss (pitch, octave, cutoff, resonance).

Wow that sounds really intriguing!

• @brambos said:

@catherder said:
    Just managed to control Fluss with hand gestures by using MusiKraken as MIDI controller. Granular theremin fun! Setting up is a bit fiddly, because MusiKrakens AU host does not seem to allow me to control plugin parameters. In the end I sent the Krakens Midi stream to AUM and configured Midi CCs for Fluss (pitch, octave, cutoff, resonance).

Wow that sounds really intriguing!

Yes, lots of fun. Are there any default MIDI CC mappings in the plugin, so it can be controlled inside hosts that do not have direct access to plugin parameters?

• @MFBT said:

I'm probably going to pick up fluss even though I'm not sure what sounds I can make that aren't already possible with borderlands, idensity, starcraft, and possibly some midi LFOs.

The filter is a new thing, but the main selling point is the UI. The sounds are what you get when you granularize. The pitch shifting may be a new thing too, but I haven’t totally figured that section out yet.

• @brambos said:

@Gavinski said:
    Also would still like clarification about the scales. As someone mentioned the custom scales are confusing and may need some kind of reworking, no? You play in a few notes in E maj scale for example, but if you actually choose E as the root note in Fluss it transposes everything up.

Well, I could renumber all the notes 0 - 12 and then treat the root note as a transpose. But that would be equally confusing.

It simply depends on the input sample, if that's not in C there's not much I can do about that I think (short of doing pitch detection which is not in the cards).

What do the note-labeled buttons actually do though? The manual does not enlighten.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@brambos said:

@Gavinski said:

What do the note-labeled buttons actually do though? The manual does not enlighten.

All the selected (active) notes will be mapped onto the pitch-axis of the XY pad.

• @brambos said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@brambos said:

@Gavinski said:

All the selected (active) notes will be mapped onto the pitch-axis of the XY pad.

I mean the note buttons under the note buttons. I assumed they would change the key, but when you choose a button in the lower row, the upper row notes stay the same.

• @craftycurate said:

@monz0id said:

@catherder said:

Same here - a randomiser button would be great. If there are multiple instances of Fluss running, there is no choice but to randomise them all if shaking is the only way to trigger randomisation.

+1 as I am not a fan of shaking my devices for a using any parameter only in that method. Too scared of letting IPAD rip & fly outta my hands if I am in the groove. Cheers, ED

• @ElektrikDiva said:

@craftycurate said:

@monz0id said:

@catherder said:

+1 as I am not a fan of shaking my devices for a using any parameter only in that method. Too scared of letting IPAD rip & fly outta my hands if I am in the groove. Cheers, ED

What cc is 'shake?' asking for a friend. ☺

• @MFBT said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

@craftycurate said:

@monz0id said:

@catherder said:

What cc is 'shake?' asking for a friend. ☺

What's "cc"? ED

• Midi cc. l should have been specific lol.

I thought it was fun making gauss warble with device shakes. But hey, a button is a button, and I like buttons. Especially buttons that randomize stuff when I press them or dispense money.

• +1 for a randomize button.

• @craftycurate said:

@monz0id said:

@catherder said:

Good point

• Well I just finished my second Lofi EP which takes place on an alien planet called "Xarvox". While the four tracks were created in FLSM, I created the background soundscape in AUM with two instances of Fluss. Very great app! When I release the EP tomorrow to Bandcamp, the soundscape will be on there as a bonus track!

• @brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Sorry, I'm being very thick here, so please can you confirm... I thought that the centre equals the current position of the cutoff knob, and then both extremes represent the knob at the far left (ie. 0)?

• edited December 2022

• @Morgman73 said:
    +1 for a randomize button.

and another +1 here too
    @brambos

• @brambos said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@brambos said:

@Gavinski said:

ha! you know I didn’t even notice that you can touch the note labels and select them!! :)
    now the ‘custom scale’ heading makes even more sense .. bravo.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Sorry, I'm being very thick here, so please can you confirm... I thought that the centre equals the current position of the cutoff knob, and then both extremes represent the knob at the far left (ie. 0)?

No, exactly the other way around :) The centre is the lowest filter setting, and the edges of the pad are highest (= the current knob position). You can most easily hear it when you use an LPF... you can hear the filter close when you approach the centre.