Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:
    GM from Rozeta works but the mapping is not right. The bass drum in Rozeta will not be mapped to the bass in 909, for example. The Axon settings in Rozeta work better. Of course Rozeta only has 8 channels. Is there a nice AU drum sequencer with more channels? Or do you guys just hack something together using 2 instances.

By the way, it looks like for now the best solution to timing issues is simply to use external sequencers like Rozeta, Octachron etc. The 909 sounds fantastic, just trigger it with something other than its own sequencer.

It's still off even from other sequencers.

Really? Oh dear....

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@Gavinski said:
    GM from Rozeta works but the mapping is not right. The bass drum in Rozeta will not be mapped to the bass in 909, for example. The Axon settings in Rozeta work better. Of course Rozeta only has 8 channels. Is there a nice AU drum sequencer with more channels? Or do you guys just hack something together using 2 instances.

By the way, it looks like for now the best solution to timing issues is simply to use external sequencers like Rozeta, Octachron etc. The 909 sounds fantastic, just trigger it with something other than its own sequencer.

Really? Oh dear....

It's closer if you manually set the buffer to match the host, but it's still behind the beat. An AU should never need to have the buffer adjusted. In fact an AU shouldn't even have this setting.

I've been rushed today and haven't had time to do up a decent bug report to send to them directly. Hopefully others have reported the issue. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:

Yeah, I was sequencing it with Drambo and it would hiccup a lot and was even more noticeable than with its own sequencer

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@Gavinski said:

Really? Oh dear....

It's closer if you manually set the buffer to match the host, but it's still behind the beat. An AU should never need to have the buffer adjusted. In fact an AU shouldn't even have this setting.

I've been rushed today and haven't had time to do up a decent bug report to send to them directly. Hopefully others have reported the issue. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Matthew from Audiokit says they're definitely looking into it...

• Thanks for the update @enkaytee 👍🏼

• Yeah, he also recommended turning the buffer down

• edited November 2020

i noticed the timing issue when watching Doug.s video .. wondered how it wasn.t addressed there , wobbly off sync with their own 808 app. thank god for the lovely people of the AB forum. and yes how did this escape the beta’s ?

• @SpartanClownTide said:

@ashh said:
    When I open it, it shows the splash screen and then closes. Or shows it, blinks, shows it once more and then closes. I have reinstalled, same thing happens again.

Any ideas anyone?

e2a: opens fine in AUM. Guessing it's not standalone then?

Opens fine in standalone for me. iPad 6th gen 13.7.

Good call. 2018 iPad Pro, 14.2.

• @FPC said:
    True i guess but (and I really don't mean to belittle you here) so what? They're just cheap apps the end of the day. Buy 'em or don't buy 'em, nothing to get worked up about.

As I said I really don't want to dis you or anyone else, just opinions on the internet after all :)

More concerning to me are the performance issue. Love the 808 bass machine, the lo-fi piano and the 909 but why are they so crashy, resource hungry? And will Synth One EVER get AUv3?

Performance issues?! They're just cheap apps at the end of the day. Buy em or don't buy em, nothing to get worked up about.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    For people experiencing start-up issues-

Cheers!

• @ashh said:

@FPC said:
    True i guess but (and I really don't mean to belittle you here) so what? They're just cheap apps the end of the day. Buy 'em or don't buy 'em, nothing to get worked up about.

As I said I really don't want to dis you or anyone else, just opinions on the internet after all :)

More concerning to me are the performance issue. Love the 808 bass machine, the lo-fi piano and the 909 but why are they so crashy, resource hungry? And will Synth One EVER get AUv3?

Performance issues?! They're just cheap apps at the end of the day. Buy em or don't buy em, nothing to get worked up about.

Not fair with a lot of “cheap apps” developers with “cheap apps” that don’t have this kind of perfornance issues.

• @torrescampalans said:

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

Not fair with a lot of “cheap apps” developers with “cheap apps” that don’t have this kind of perfornance issues.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

• FPCFPC
    edited November 2020

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

Yes that's right performance issues. So you're so 'cool' about it that it doesn't even bother you that they crash, hog CPU or don't play in-time? Yeah right. Just being a **** right?

• @FPC said:

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

Yes that's right performance issues. So you're so 'cool' about it that it doesn't even bother you that they crash, hog CPU or don't play in-time? Yeah right. Just being a **** right?

Well, my original quote was from you.

• @ashh said:

@FPC said:

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

Yes I know, very clever. I was giving my option on getting worked up over strange limited edition marketing.
    Apps not actually working properly is surely something of more importance, no?

• edited November 2020

@FPC said:

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

@ashh said:

@FPC said:

Yes I know, very clever. I was giving my option on getting worked up over strange limited edition marketing.
    Apps not actually working properly is surely something of more importance, no?

To you? Yes.

Just like honesty, their version of honesty, is very important to them, I guess.

I agree with you. Who wants a drummer that can't keep time? Kind of the whole point of them.

It just pushes my buttons when someone wants someone else to prioritise what they find most important over anyone else's views. Or belittles their feelings to make their point.

And now I sound like a tit. :D

• Notes 12 thru 27 change pattern in case anyone hasn't found it.

• @seonnthaproducer what did you start my friend!? 😆

• Weird topic this one, the last weeks or months i’ve seen posts about the 909 still not being released. I can imagine this puts pressure on the developer, maybe the developer didn’t see it as an option to hold off the launch and released it at this stage. Thinking he will sort out the rough patches in the future.
    Anyway even if i pay 1 euro for it, you want something that has a good timing.
    It does sound very aggressive, huge kicks.

• Yeah, this pressure on devs to release things that are overdue is something that should stop. If something is ready, good, if it isn't, wait patiently.

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah, this pressure on devs to release things that are overdue is something that should stop. If something is ready, good, if it isn't, wait patiently.

I think that's something for the devs to manage, isn't it? You could view talk about an app, be that the release date or whatever, as a positive thing. 'Are we there yet?!' is stressful but I bet it's more stressful for no one to be asking.

• I lowered my expectations to ground level over the past year and still purchased new music iPad apps to enjoy like “games” but geez a drum machine with timing issues this obvious seems insulting to my already flatlined expectations.

• @ashh said:

@Gavinski said:
    Yeah, this pressure on devs to release things that are overdue is something that should stop. If something is ready, good, if it isn't, wait patiently.

I think that's something for the devs to manage, isn't it? You could view talk about an app, be that the release date or whatever, as a positive thing. 'Are we there yet?!' is stressful but I bet it's more stressful for no one to be asking.

Also a fair point

• @Gavinski said:

Devs also should kick back and develop instead of teasing and giving hints and creating hype or whatever.

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    Notes 12 thru 27 change pattern in case anyone hasn't found it.

😎👍🏼

• @wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    When I say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand, I mean that I get the 909 preset cued up, hit the record button on Garageband, get the 4 count and then recording begins and the 909 pattern plays through while the GarageBand timeline shows red, as if it’s recording the 909 pattern being played.

Then I go back to GarageBand’s track view, and the 909 track shows nothing. Yet, when I hit play it does, in fact, play the 909 pattern I had just recorded despite the 909 track being blank.

I think you get this already now, but the record button lighting up is effectively just saying "I'm recording any midi you send me." Unfortunately 909 isn't sending anything, so there's nothing to record. Maybe some day, but not now.

I wouldn't call this a bug. It's a "missing feature". Unless of course they thought it was working and it isn't.

You say 909 isn’t sending anything for GarageBand to record, but I just closed out all apps on my phone except GarageBand and played the “song” on which the empty 909 track still plays the 909 pattern I recorded.

• @realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    Loving the sounds, but when I try to record in GarageBand via AU, the timeline is empty despite being able to hear what was just recorded. What am I missing?

It means the Auv3 doesn’t support MIDI out. Which for me makes it unusable (beyond the timing issue)

Thanks for the info. So...this app is useless for GarageBand users?

No. Only the sequencer is, and only then if you require the midi to be recorded in GarageBand. It's useful for playing the app from GarageBand's sequencer.

Thanks, but I still don’t quite understand. I open 909 as an AU in GarageBand. I pick a 909 preset pattern. I hit record in GarageBand, and the pattern plays through, appearing to be recorded in GarageBand. When I go to track view in GarageBand there appears to be nothing recorded. Though, when I press play I can hear what was recorded.

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline? I apologize for being a doofus.

Also when it appears to play back what you recorded..it’s actually still the 909 playing itself
    via its own sequencer synced (somewhat) with GB’s transport

How can it be the 909 playing itself if I’ve closed out the 909 app? The only apps open on my phone right now are GarageBand and Safari. When I play the “song” on which the empty 909 track appears, I hear the 909 pattern I attempted to record, despite the track being empty. The 909 app is not open on my phone while the track is being played. Are you saying that even though the 909 app is not open on my phone it’s still open & active via GarageBand?

• But surely 909 is still loaded within GB as an audio unit? I suspect that all you're hearing is the 909 AU synced to GB's sequencer.

• edited November 2020

@AnalogCortex said:

How can it be the 909 playing itself if I’ve closed out the 909 app? The only apps open on my phone right now are GarageBand and Safari. When I play the “song” on which the empty 909 track appears, I hear the 909 pattern I attempted to record, despite the track being empty. The 909 app is not open on my phone while the track is being played. Are you saying that even though the 909 app is not open on my phone it’s still open & active via GarageBand?

It sounds like you've loaded AR-909 as an audio unit plug-in in a GB Track.

The AR-909 has an internal sequencer. When you 'recorded' it, nothing actually happened as the plug-in doesn’t transmit MIDI from its sequencer so there was nothing for GarageBand to actually record. Which is why the track looks empty.

But when you play the GB song, the AR-909 plays back via it's built in sequencer. The plug-in doesn't need to be displayed to play back (or you wouldn't be able to build up a song with many tracks as you can't have them all visible simultaneously).

So to recap. AR-909 is loaded into a GB track and is playing back via its internal pattern sequencer through GarageBand and you can't record the output of the internal sequencer as the plug-in doesn't transmit MIDI.

Once they've sorted out the timing issues, the best way (IMHO) to play it from GarageBand would be to turn off the internal sequencer and just programme it from the piano roll in GarageBand. You will then have regions you can loop, edit, change, etc. and have them displayed in the timeline.

You can also record in real time with an external MIDI keyboard/Pads or via the built in keyboard within GarageBand. Looping makes this easy, just record one note at a time then quantise it later to taste.

• @klownshed said:

@AnalogCortex said:

It sounds like you've loaded AR-909 as an audio unit plug-in in a GB Track.

The AR-909 has an internal sequencer. When you 'recorded' it, nothing actually happened as the plug-in doesn’t transmit MIDI from its sequencer so there was nothing for GarageBand to actually record. Which is why the track looks empty.

But when you play the GB song, the AR-909 plays back via it's built in sequencer. The plug-in doesn't need to be displayed to play back (or you wouldn't be able to build up a song with many tracks as you can't have them all visible simultaneously).

So to recap. AR-909 is loaded into a GB track and is playing back via its internal pattern sequencer through GarageBand and you can't record the output of the internal sequencer as the plug-in doesn't transmit MIDI.

Once they've sorted out the timing issues, the best way (IMHO) to play it from GarageBand would be to turn off the internal sequencer and just programme it from the piano roll in GarageBand. You will then have regions you can loop, edit, change, etc. and have them displayed in the timeline.

You can also record in real time with an external MIDI keyboard/Pads or via the built in keyboard within GarageBand. Looping makes this easy, just record one note at a time then quantise it later to taste.

Excellent reply, thanks.