Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

@uncledave said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@Charlesalbert said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    Is anyone using this app on a 2020 Pro? There’s a guy in iPad Musicians on Facebook saying that it just won’t open and crashes immediately. I don’t know how to help him because my iPad is a donkey and it works fine.

Yes, working perfectly on my iPad Pro 2020

Thank you dude! :)

I suspect this may be related more to the OS version than to the device. The stand-alone version works fine on my iPad Air, iOS 12.4.9, latest version for this venerable device. It fails reliably on startup, logging SIGABRT, on iPad 6, iPadOS 14.2. Works fine in AB3 tho'.

Thanks very much for the insight. With a new app I guess it’s inevitable there will be little teething issues with iOS versions and iDevice sizes. I can mostly help everyone with their app issues but it’s tricky to help people with those kinds of issues.

Any official word on the lag issue, please?

• They’re looking into it @0tolerance4silence

• @Gavinski said:
    They’re looking into it @0tolerance4silence

Thanks 👍

• edited November 2020

Instacrash on iOS 14.2. Standalone. Restarted iPad. Same deal.
    Worked as AUv3 after restart though...

• edited November 2020

Here’s a demonstration of the timing issues

00:00:00 AUM metronome only
    00:05:00 Ruismaker (receiving midi from Atom) - perfect sync
    00:13:00 Ruismaker + 909 (receiving midi from Atom) - 909 is out of sync and clipping
    00:24:00 Ruismaker + 909 internal sequencer - 909 is badly out of sync and clipping
    00:32:00 909 internal seq + external midi from Atom - to show offset
    00:39:00 909 internal seq

My conclusion... sack the beta testers :p

• @tk32 said:

00:13:00 Ruismaker + 909 (receiving midi from Atom) - 909 is out of sync and clipping
    00:24:00 Ruismaker + 909 internal sequencer - 909 is badly out of sync and clipping

Exactly!!
    How can that not be noticeable before release.
    Anyone who thinks that is acceptable or can be ‘worked around’ is following the wrong hobby/career

• I agree. This is a major problem

• This is why @tk32 is a great beta tester!
    Now I don't want to put blame on beta testers but maybe choose testers with various levels of expertise, equipments, style of music and/or workflow

• @tk32 said:

Awww, I mean some of them are high profile so it would be bad PR or something?! :D
    Sadly that's the way the influencer and advertising market works but it doesn't guarantee quality, just exposure...
    ...and many oversee the issues because 'If it's good enough for the PROs it's good enough for me'. I don't agree with that mantra though...

Cheers!

• @tk32 said:

That's really shocking. I would not hold it against anyone for asking for a refund, but users asking for refunds en masse would be a disaster for AudioKit. So I will just ignore this app until it gets fixed. But I hope it happens soon.

• Pretty fun app for $3. Can’t wait til they add MIDI learn. Should be fun controlling the pattern selector

• Time to save few quotes for the next bm3 release? lol

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Time to save few quotes for the next bm3 release? lol

Shots fired

• edited November 2020

Pretty fun app for $3. Can’t wait til they add MIDI learn. Should be fun controlling the pattern selector

I did this kinda work around to change patterns. Probably stupid as I'm a real bad at connecting stuff, but I do try :smile: Fugue machine did some stupid stuff too as I wanted chromatic scale but that made the lowest key c3 and I wanted from c1 and up. Anyway it works. Edit> How do I upload a video, is it enough if I place it on a server and link to the file or dos it have to be imbedded in html?

• @Pxlhg i just uploaded it to twitter lol

• It sounds great.

• edited November 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:

Not sure how to interpret this comment, so I'll take it in good humour. :)

In my opinion, there are serious bugs that should block the release of an app until they are resolved, and then there are others (which I shall call 'papercuts') which may sometimes be permitted in a launch version, as long as they are documented/logged and made explicit to the user - then fixed in a later update.

I think it's fair to say that a drum plugin playing out of sync is what I would consider a 'blocking issue'.

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    @Pxlhg i just uploaded it to twitter lol

Yeah I understood that much, thanks :smile: I don't have twitter and also, I just wanted to upload a video that only make sense in this thread so it would look pretty weird elsewhere :open_mouth: :smiley:

• @tk32 said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Not sure how to interpret this comment, so I'll take it in good humour. :)

In my opinion, there are serious bugs that should block the release of an app until they are resolved, and then there are others (which I shall call 'papercuts') which may sometimes be permitted in a launch version, as long as they are documented/logged and made explicit to the user - then fixed in a later update.

I think it's fair to say that a drum plugin playing out of sync is what I would consider a 'blocking issue'.

As you should. No offence meant.
    I agree 100%. I can’t remember the last seq/drum etc. released without timing issues (jitter). This one at least more or less accurate. I’m glad people start calling out these issues, but blaming beta testers? What for? There will always be things that just don’t cut it before the deadline...

• I think the problem is that it defaults to the Liquidmantis Humanize setting. :(

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@cuscolima said:
    The output is very loud (+9db). What is the best strategy to normalise the sound? Would you add a limiter directly on the 909 track or would you send the signal to the master add the limiter at this moment ?

It has a master volume knob. General procedure for all the limited edition apps:

1. Open app
    2. Turn down master volume

B)

• @wim said:

@cuscolima said:
    The output is very loud (+9db). What is the best strategy to normalise the sound? Would you add a limiter directly on the 909 track or would you send the signal to the master add the limiter at this moment ?

It has a master volume knob. General procedure for all the limited edition apps:

1. Open app

B)

Haha brilliant! Music geeks wanna add a limiter. The voice of reason says: "turn down the volume knob" :D

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@tja said:
    They are lying.
    Without any need at all.

This is incorrect behavior.

@tja, I can't say I see any "lies" on the official page about these apps.

While I can't relate to your outrage over their marketing strategy, I respect your right to express it.

• so i’m the sequencer. is it possible to shift the individual steps timing forward or backward?

• @eross said:
    so i’m the sequencer. is it possible to shift the individual steps timing forward or backward?

I don't think they intended the sequencer to be anything more than just a place to sketch out ideas. At least those are the comments in some of the official videos I've seen.

• @tja said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@tja said:
    I don't buy fucking lies.

Sir, this is an Arby’s.

@Gavinski said:

@tja said:

Please explain

@anickt said:

@tja said:

Talk about unnecessary posts...

@wim said:
    Deleted. Harsh.

@wim said:
    I think he’s pissed off about the pricing “lies”.

I don’t see any lies when I read this FAQ: https://audiokitpro.com/appdrops/
    But for some reason the limited edition pricing thing really gets under some people’s skin. :D

The topic has been done to death, and AK isn’t changing their tune. Good on them, I say. But it seems to be immensely irritating for some.

@gusgranite said:
    This is out of character for you @tja - take a break dude.

Yes, this was harsher from me than I'm normally.
    But still, it is true.

AudioKit sells those Limited Edition Apps as "limited editions", which means that 10 Apps will only be sold for a short time and then never again.

And this is the lie!

They sold them over and over again, for some "special event" (like .... just publishing some arbitrary other App)!

So they are plain and simply lying!
    And i will not support a lying developer in any way!

BTW, i never liked this idea of limited editions anyway, it is unfair for all those who come later.

And AudioKit seem to understand that, as we see in their "special event sales".

But instead of removing this concent and simply allowing all of their apps to be bought at any time, as for any other App in the store, they continue with this concept and are not willing to simply admit the mistake and change it!

Any comment, @analog_matt or others?

Seems hardly something to be so harsh about. “I don’t like this marketing technique” seems more in line than give the impression that there is some sort of harmful deception going on. Your rhetoric seems out of proportion to the offense (which seems like a pretty innocuous one to me).

• TL:DR: Bugs will be fixed / we’re the beta team / it’s $3 / be kind.

1: As a 909 emulation the app Sounds amazing.

2: I trust the developers will iron the bugs.

3: The price is borderline philanthropy for music-makers.

4: Though not traditional maybe we consider ourselves the Beta team who got an early (okay late but let’s just say) release.

5: Be kind.

PS: my fix until The fix: record app solo’d and cut audio on timeline to re-quantize. Extra steps but a labor of love.

• What I can’t relate to is what seems to be the constant search for something to be outraged about. Lighten up people. You’ll live longer!

So we’re outraged about it being “too loud”? Thank god we have the genius of @wim to guide us! 🤣

We’re outraged about the timing being off a bit. So let’s keelhaul everyone involved immediately!

Never ever shall we politely and calmly say “Houston we have a problem“ and give them a chance to work it out!

Jesus Christmas on a raft! Y’all are crazy! 🤪🤪🤪 How would you feel to be on the receiving end of some of the happy horse-shit flying around here???

• @wim said:

@cuscolima said:

1. Open app

B)

Haha, thanks !

• @anickt said:

Jesus Christmas on a raft! Y’all are crazy! 🤪🤪🤪 How would you feel to be on the receiving end of some of the happy horse-shit flying around here???

That would at least make me focus more on Q&A and Testing before releasing stuff...
    ...if I was a developer...