Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@AnalogCortex said:
    Thank you very much. Why would this app not support midi out? I believe their other apps do.

Which other AudioKit apps have a sequencer?

There's no automatic commonality between apps just because they're made with the AudioKit framework or are sponsored by AudioKit. All these apps are developed by different people or teams. All have their own goals. All have their own timeline for development.

That said, I get the impression that the initial focus on the 909 app was on awesome sound, and that the sequencer was put there initially just to get some quick ideas out. It may be that they have further plans for the sequencer, but, being already two months behind where they had hoped to release the app, they didn't get there yet. Or they may not decided to at all. For a $2.99 app, there's only so much developer time that makes sense.

• @wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    Thank you very much. Why would this app not support midi out? I believe their other apps do.

Which other AudioKit apps have a sequencer?

There's no automatic commonality between apps just because they're made with the AudioKit framework or are sponsored by AudioKit. All these apps are developed by different people or teams. All have their own goals. All have their own timeline for development.

That said, I get the impression that the initial focus on the 909 app was on awesome sound, and that the sequencer was put there initially just to get some quick ideas out. It may be that they have further plans for the sequencer, but, being already two months behind where they had hoped to release the app, they didn't get there yet. Or they may not decided to at all. For a $2.99 app, there's only so much developer time that makes sense.

Good point @wim. This app as it stands for $2.99 is killer. And your point about developer time is a good one. AudioKit is not really a full-blown app developer in the sense of someone like Sugar Bytes etc. are they? Isn't there a certain amount of unpaid work that goes on there? IDK :)

• @Charlesalbert

Dang it’s hot in here !

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@anickt said:
    Good point @wim. This app as it stands for $2.99 is killer. And your point about developer time is a good one. AudioKit is not really a full-blown app developer in the sense of someone like Sugar Bytes etc. are they? Isn't there a certain amount of unpaid work that goes on there? IDK :)

AudioKit isn't really an app publisher (though they have published some apps). AudioKit makes a FREE framework to make developing iOS music apps easier. It's a little bit like Mozaic, but on a grander scale. Mozaic provides a ton of underlying functionality accessible by a higher level language that makes it so you don't have to do all the hard work. Same with AudioKit. They provide a huge set of libraries that lets people do DSP and other things with much less code.

They're also huge enthusiasts for iOS music making, and work with lots of people in the music and developer community to spark interest in making apps such as this. The whole "exclusive app" marketing thing that stokes such fury in some people is just an outgrowth of that enthusiasm.

What is interesting is AudioKit isn't even a company as far as I know. They aren't doing this to generate profits. They're doing it to spread the enthusiasm. Which is another reason why I continue to shake my head in bewilderment over why people get so bent out of shape over their pricing "creativity". Oh well. I guess things are supposed to only work in predictable ways or they're threatening and evil.

But, I digress! :D

(Apologies in advance in the very likely case that I've said anything inaccurate above!)

• What do you think of the framework itself @wim ?

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@gusgranite said:
    What do you think of the framework itself @wim ?

I'm not qualified to answer that in any meaningful way. I state marginally informed opinions as though they are fact all the time, but that would be waaayyyy over the top. :D

Personally, I hope it gets rounded out to specifically make developing AUv3's easier. It may be further along than when I last looked, though.

• edited November 2020

Sugar Bytes is 2 software developers. And another 2 handling the admin + business side. 4 total.

@anickt said:
    AudioKit is not really a full-blown app developer in the sense of someone like Sugar Bytes etc. are they?

• Quick play demo

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    What do you think of the framework itself @wim ?

I'm not qualified to answer that in any meaningful way. I state marginally informed opinions as though they are fact all the time, but that would be waaayyyy over the top. :D

Personally, I hope it gets rounded out to specifically make developing AUv3's easier. It may be further along than when I last looked, though.

There’s concerns about it being based on Swift and the high DSP and bloat associated with that. A discussion for the developers, for sure!

• @FPC said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    Loving the sounds, but when I try to record in GarageBand via AU, the timeline is empty despite being able to hear what was just recorded. What am I missing?

It means the Auv3 doesn’t support MIDI out. Which for me makes it unusable (beyond the timing issue)

Thanks for the info. So...this app is useless for GarageBand users?

No. Only the sequencer is, and only then if you require the midi to be recorded in GarageBand. It's useful for playing the app from GarageBand's sequencer.

Thanks, but I still don’t quite understand. I open 909 as an AU in GarageBand. I pick a 909 preset pattern. I hit record in GarageBand, and the pattern plays through, appearing to be recorded in GarageBand. When I go to track view in GarageBand there appears to be nothing recorded. Though, when I press play I can hear what was recorded.

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline? I apologize for being a doofus.

I’m sure wim will chime in here but as far I understand it 909 doesn’t output its midi sequencer data. So when you say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand” what do you base this on? Are you seeing any midi note data written to the GB track timeline? Or just that you heard the beat playing whilst you were recording? Are you sure that when you press play you’re not just playing the synced signal from the 909 app again?

I’m with you. My workflow means that any drum machine or groove box that doesn’t output it’s sequencers midi data to a DAWs timeline is of limited use to me (come on PureAcid :'( )

When I say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand, I mean that I get the 909 preset cued up, hit the record button on Garageband, get the 4 count and then recording begins and the 909 pattern plays through while the GarageBand timeline shows red, as if it’s recording the 909 pattern being played.

Then I go back to GarageBand’s track view, and the 909 track shows nothing. Yet, when I hit play it does, in fact, play the 909 pattern I had just recorded despite the 909 track being blank.

• @AnalogCortex said:

@FPC said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    Loving the sounds, but when I try to record in GarageBand via AU, the timeline is empty despite being able to hear what was just recorded. What am I missing?

It means the Auv3 doesn’t support MIDI out. Which for me makes it unusable (beyond the timing issue)

No. Only the sequencer is, and only then if you require the midi to be recorded in GarageBand. It's useful for playing the app from GarageBand's sequencer.

Thanks, but I still don’t quite understand. I open 909 as an AU in GarageBand. I pick a 909 preset pattern. I hit record in GarageBand, and the pattern plays through, appearing to be recorded in GarageBand. When I go to track view in GarageBand there appears to be nothing recorded. Though, when I press play I can hear what was recorded.

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline? I apologize for being a doofus.

I’m sure wim will chime in here but as far I understand it 909 doesn’t output its midi sequencer data. So when you say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand” what do you base this on? Are you seeing any midi note data written to the GB track timeline? Or just that you heard the beat playing whilst you were recording? Are you sure that when you press play you’re not just playing the synced signal from the 909 app again?

I’m with you. My workflow means that any drum machine or groove box that doesn’t output it’s sequencers midi data to a DAWs timeline is of limited use to me (come on PureAcid :'( )

When I say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand, I mean that I get the 909 preset cued up, hit the record button on Garageband, get the 4 count and then recording begins and the 909 pattern plays through while the GarageBand timeline shows red, as if it’s recording the 909 pattern being played.

Then I go back to GarageBand’s track view, and the 909 track shows nothing. Yet, when I hit play it does, in fact, play the 909 pattern I had just recorded despite the 909 track being blank.

A fix is being looked at already for this. A few people have contacted me about this problem and I’ve passed on the info. They did say they had an idea what the issue might be. For me, when I use an app like this inside a DAW I always program my grooves in the daws piano roll.

• For people experiencing start-up issues-

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@AnalogCortex said:

I think you get this already now, but the record button lighting up is effectively just saying "I'm recording any midi you send me." Unfortunately 909 isn't sending anything, so there's nothing to record. Maybe some day, but not now.

I wouldn't call this a bug. It's a "missing feature". Unless of course they thought it was working and it isn't.

• @AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

Also when it appears to play back what you recorded..it’s actually still the 909 playing itself
    via its own sequencer synced (somewhat) with GB’s transport

• For the price of a cup of coffee i get a killer, crunchy, boomin’ 909? I will never complain about that...alot of the fun of this is watching apps start out herky jerky and then improving rapidly...just give them some time, it’ll all work out...it’s only been a day...just politely suggest problems and ideas and watch how fast the creators work on it...thank u Audiokit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Please fix this timing issue devs

I hope folks realize that they need to send reports to the AudioKit developers since the AK developers may not be keeping tabs on the forum.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

I hope folks realize that they need to send reports to the AudioKit developers since the AK developers may not be keeping tabs on the forum.

Yes, very likely they are not reading these, contact the devs directly folks

• edited November 2020

Just want to confirm that at least as far as any DSP display is concerned, this is using quite a bit. 29% for just a simple beat, standalone in AUM I know DSP meters aren't reliable but just thought I'd confirm this appear to be using a lot of CPU and as a result finger presses are extremely laggy. No complaints for the price and the sounds are really great. You just have to know it takes a 1/2 second to register a fingerprint!

edit: Bass 808 is exactly the same. 29% DSP.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

No @analog_matt is reading. He's not responding, but before this dropped his profile showed he hadn't been active since October, I checked this on Thursday or sometime later last week. I checked this morning and it says he was last active this month. So I'm sure he's reading. There's a lot of frustration towards them here and I understand why they have distanced themselves. I just hope that he and AK see that we just want quality products and not another round of missed opportunities and lost promises.

This app sounds good with much potential. It's a shame they waited so long to release it and still haven't worked out the bugs and it dropped right after Drumcomputer. It's a bad mix of unfortunates.

But going forward I hope they learn from this and the house mark I release. Don't keep teasing and pushing the date back. Develop a solid product and release it. Mark I was a successful release for them.

• Bitcrusher is Whirled to Hear...🥂

• @BITCRUSHER said:
    Bitcrusher is Whirled to Hear...🥂

Ah, so you Can speak in prose as well as verse? 😜

• If the verse is a curse, then to prose’ where I goes...my outlets are your tributaries...

• Have I missed this somewhere? What's the midi mapping if I want to drive with Ochtachron? Doesn't seem to be General Midi?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

No @analog_matt is reading. He's not responding, but before this dropped his profile showed he hadn't been active since October, I checked this on Thursday or sometime later last week. I checked this morning and it says he was last active this month. So I'm sure he's reading. There's a lot of frustration towards them here and I understand why they have distanced themselves. I just hope that he and AK see that we just want quality products and not another round of missed opportunities and lost promises.

This app sounds good with much potential. It's a shame they waited so long to release it and still haven't worked out the bugs and it dropped right after Drumcomputer. It's a bad mix of unfortunates.

But going forward I hope they learn from this and the house mark I release. Don't keep teasing and pushing the date back. Develop a solid product and release it. Mark I was a successful release for them.

FWIW, he has in the past asked people to submit bug reports to them via email or web site rather than here. (FWIW, that is true of most developers though there are some exeptions).

Even if a developer visits the forum, you can't count on that being a timely way to get your feedback to them.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Have I missed this somewhere? What's the midi mapping if I want to drive with Ochtachron? Doesn't seem to be General Midi?

GM from rozeta worked for me.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Have I missed this somewhere? What's the midi mapping if I want to drive with Ochtachron? Doesn't seem to be General Midi?

It's just chromatic up from C2 (Note 36), starting at the Bass Drum.

(Note 32 might be labeled with a different octave, depending on what your sending from. I'm referring to the AUM keyboard here. It's C1 in GarageBand.)

Added note from the 909 app page:

• MIDI FOR drum triggers (Bass Drum, Snare, etc) start on "C" MIDI Note 36 (C1 in GarageBand)
    • MIDI for pattern triggers start on "C" MIDI Note 12 (C-1 in GarageBand)
  • GM from Rozeta works but the mapping is not right. The bass drum in Rozeta will not be mapped to the bass in 909, for example. The Axon settings in Rozeta work better. Of course Rozeta only has 8 channels. Is there a nice AU drum sequencer with more channels? Or do you guys just hack something together using 2 instances.

By the way, it looks like for now the best solution to timing issues is simply to use external sequencers like Rozeta, Octachron etc. The 909 sounds fantastic, just trigger it with something other than its own sequencer.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Gavinski said:
    GM from Rozeta works but the mapping is not right. The bass drum in Rozeta will not be mapped to the bass in 909, for example. The Axon settings in Rozeta work better. Of course Rozeta only has 8 channels. Is there a nice AU drum sequencer with more channels? Or do you guys just hack something together using 2 instances.

By the way, it looks like for now the best solution to timing issues is simply to use external sequencers like Rozeta, Octachron etc. The 909 sounds fantastic, just trigger it with something other than its own sequencer.

It's still off even from other sequencers.