Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

1111213141517»

Comments

• New update out. Doesn’t mention timing though.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

Delay on the kick is the same as ever. It's so bizarre that they don't fix this.

Left channel (top) is AR-909 kick. Right channel (bottom) is the same kick sampled, carefully trimmed, and then played back in Koala. Both are simultaneously triggered by Rozeta XOX with "simulate 808 timing" turned off.

• @wim said:
    Delay on the kick is the same as ever. It's so bizarre that they don't fix this.

Left channel (top) is AR-909 kick. Right channel (bottom) is the same kick sampled, carefully trimmed, and then played back in Koala. Both are triggered by Rozeta XOX with "simulate 808 timing" turned off.

Thanks for testing.

• I have an other question. In presets some notes or steps are dark orange instead of light orange. I assume this is an accent.

When you enter steps yourself they are always light orange. Is it possible to enter a dark orange step? I have read the manual, could not find it.

• @raabje said:
    I have an other question. In presets some notes or steps are dark orange instead of light orange. I assume this is an accent.

When you enter steps yourself they are always light orange. Is it possible to enter a dark orange step? I have read the manual, could not find it.

• Highly possible that this has been suggested and I mention this with appreciation and respect for Audiokit and @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - If the AR909 kick is synthesized could it be a worthwhile compromise or temporary fix to replace it with a sample or choice of samples if only to nuke the kick delay issue? (Or am I over-simplifying the technical challenge here?)

• @Proppa said:
    Highly possible that this has been suggested and I mention this with appreciation and respect for Audiokit and @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - If the AR909 kick is synthesized could it be a worthwhile compromise or temporary fix to replace it with a sample or choice of samples if only to nuke the kick delay issue? (Or am I over-simplifying the technical challenge here?)

I just work with it as is, then when its tuned the way i want, just sample it and place it in the correct spot w/ something else ;)

• iOS in the nutshell :)

• @Proppa said:
    Highly possible that this has been suggested and I mention this with appreciation and respect for Audiokit and @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - If the AR909 kick is synthesized could it be a worthwhile compromise or temporary fix to replace it with a sample or choice of samples if only to nuke the kick delay issue? (Or am I over-simplifying the technical challenge here?)

Poor @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - always getting tagged in AudioKit threads :joy: - it's @analog_matt you're after I think but I don't think we have seen them here since the AR909 kickgate, unfortunately.

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

I've exchanged emails with him over the AR-909 kick issue. He's very nice about it, admits he's embarrassed as well, and says it will definitely be fixed, but doesn't say anything about when. He said that improvements to the AudioKit framework should make a lot of things better, but also require substantial rewrite of the app.

My response was that it would be better to fix that one issue with an interim update before embarking on an ambitious rewrite. He offered no response to that suggestion.

Such a great guy. Such a baffling thing to leave undone. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh well, I just accept it and adjust the silly kick timing. I've spent less total time doing that than I've spent on this post. It's more of a head-scratcher than a real pain in the ass.

• So the old mantra followed by silence...
    Here is my creative delay AU effect for free... super light on cpu... you only need to cut pieces and drop them wherever you like on your timeline! You can sign up for my killer stutter fx coming next week.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    >

I just work with it as is, then when its tuned the way i want, just sample it and place it in the correct spot w/ something else ;)

Yes but... it’s so close! It’d be lovely if the dang thing just worked.

@gusgranite said:
    Poor @Matt_Fletcher_2000 - always getting tagged in AudioKit threads :joy: - it's @analog_matt you're after I think but I don't think we have seen them here since the AR909 kickgate, unfortunately.

D’oh! My bad and thanks Gus.

Thanks @wim for the intel and without holding my breath I’m looking forward to The Fix that I had assumed was on no roadmap.

• @wim said:
    I've exchanged emails with him over the AR-909 kick issue. He's very nice about it, admits he's embarrassed as well, and says it will definitely be fixed, but doesn't say anything about when. He said that improvements to the AudioKit framework should make a lot of things better, but also require substantial rewrite of the app.

My response was that it would be better to fix that one issue with an interim update before embarking on an ambitious rewrite. He offered no response to that suggestion.

Oh well, I just accept it and adjust the silly kick timing. I've spent less total time doing that than I've spent on this post. It's more of a head-scratcher than a real pain in the ass.

Worth remembering that AUM now has a delay offset node that can be launched in the FX section of any instrument. So the workaround would be to use two versions of the 909, in one solo the kick and offset the timing, then let the other app do the rest. Gotta love AUM!

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

Worth remembering that AUM now has a delay offset node that can be launched in the FX section of any instrument. So the workaround would be to use two versions of the 909, in one solo the kick and offset the timing, then let the other app do the rest. Gotta love AUM!

Exactly what I’ve been doing with AR-909 since delay offset was introduced in AUM.. It works perfectly.. 👍

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

Have you encountered issues like this with other apps? In particular, I've had some nasty delays running Sugar Bytes DrumComputer in AUM, synced by Link to Ableton and audio via IDAM. I ended up setting a delay offset somewhere something like 80-100ms. I didn't know about the node, thanks for that. Wondering if there's anything else I could be missing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    It's not very hard to find better 909 kick samples. It's actually way easier. Using this POS sw for "sample fodder" is such a workaround ios way of thinking. Deleted, refunded, staying away from anything AK because it seems like a shitty framework.

Seems harsh :|

Yeah the 909 farce was a shame and Synth One's continued lack of AUv3 is disappointing but I absolutely love VHS, 808 bass and retro piano and they cost peanuts.

Each to their own I suppose...

• As an Apple centric dev I’d like to adopt AudioKit for making music apps soon. But the persistent quality issues in these give me serious pause without indication of whether they’re inherent to the framework, hazards of using it that are hard to fix, or some bad choices made in these particular apps and their architectures / signal processing chains

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@wahnfrieden said:
    As an Apple centric dev I’d like to adopt AudioKit for making music apps soon. But the persistent quality issues in these give me serious pause without indication of whether they’re inherent to the framework, hazards of using it that are hard to fix, or some bad choices made in these particular apps and their architectures / signal processing chains

My completely non-qualified assessment is the framework itself had some potential performance and reliability downsides, but supposedly has been continually improved. I believe the individual app issues have more to do with the developers than the framework.

That's the thing with frameworks designed to help less experienced developers get a head start. They can help get something up and running that the developer wouldn't have been able to accomplish on their own and may not have the skills needed to drill in to fix performance or reliability issues.

People tend to think of AudioKit as the developer of all of these apps while most or all of them are made by indie developers just using the AudioKit framework. When there are problems with an AudioKit app, AudioKit can't fix that, only the developer can (unless it's a fundamental framework bug).

I suspect that the infamous 909 kick timing embarrassment is beyond AudioKit's control, that only the developer can fix it, and that they either don't know how or don't care to do that.

It's worth noting that the AudioKit framework has gone through significant development since some of these apps have been produced. Newer apps may well perform better than older ones, and older ones may be updated at some point.

(Disclaimer: my only justification for the above opinions is my own experience working to learn AUv3 development, including spending a significant amount of time with the AudioKit libraries.)

• @wim said:

I strongly suspect that the infamous 909 kick timing embarrassment is beyond AudioKit's control, that only the developer can fix it, and that they either don't know how or don't care to do that.

This makes excellent sense, and I'm relieved I didn't join the pile-on. (Or did I? No, I'd never be intemperate on the internet.)

Kick drum

Boom boom boom boom

• edited July 2022

@analog_matt and team - Audiokit AR-909 - Amazing drum machine!!! Might add live Conga / Jimbe -

Hi!!!!!!! Hope you are doing well!!

Can't get Audiokit AR-909 to play / record - in IPad / Cubase 3 - using Audiobus 3
    - Input Audiobus - Audiokit AR 909 drum app - by checking Audio Units (in Audio) not apps

• Thanks to @UncleDave - "Audiokit Pro AR909 - Midi learn “Start/Stop”
    • Audiokit AR-909 - using Audiobus - is loaded in Cubase 3 on a track - Routing : Audiobus 909
    • IPad 2021 12.9"

Don't know how to start Audiokit AR909 - Need your help

• PLAY button is now missing - when connected to Audiobus / Cubase 3 - IPad

Nice to record AudioKit Synth One in IPad!
    Getting AK AR-909 drums to play in Cubase 3 / IPad will be a huge move forward for IPad Recording!

Plan -
    1) Cubase 3 / IPad - record Audiokit AR-909 drum / Audiokit Synth One tracks (and layers of other AudioKit Synths)
    2) Cubase 3 / IPad - mixdown raw tracks as individual stem wav files
    3) Export wav files from Cubase 3 / IPad to iCloud
    4) Download / Import wav files into Reaper / PC for mixing / Mastering