Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• I wouldnt have cared if the interface and sounds weren’t so perfect.

• May I ask a question here (sorry if that has been handled here before)?

Trying to use AR-909 in Cubasis, it loads and plays fine, but I can't get anything recorded, neither the sound nor the midi. I assume that I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

• @LeonKowalski said:
    May I ask a question here (sorry if that has been handled here before)?

Trying to use AR-909 in Cubasis, it loads and plays fine, but I can't get anything recorded, neither the sound nor the midi. I assume that I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

It doesn't have midi out. You can use cubasis piano roll or any other midi editor to sequence it.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    May I ask a question here (sorry if that has been handled here before)?

It doesn't have midi out. You can use cubasis piano roll or any other midi editor to sequence it.

Yup. Although I'm pretty sure midi out is coming soon.

• Thanks a lot guys for the information!👍

• I don't know what's up with the GUI of this app especially when used as AUv3 in AUM on an iPhone (iPhone 8) and switching between landscape and portrait mode. Sometimes wrong knobs are moved (ie. I touch one knob but another knobs value is changed) and some knobs don't react to taps at all...

...could be that the app gets 'confused' when the screen is rotated or the UI viewport is resized or something like that!?
    (It's not the only app that gets confused by screen rotation and viewport resize).

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    I don't know what's up with the GUI of this app especially when used as AUv3 in AUM on an iPhone (iPhone 8) and switching between landscape and portrait mode. Sometimes wrong knobs are moved (ie. I touch one knob but another knobs value is changed) and some knobs don't react to taps at all...

...could be that the app gets 'confused' when the screen is rotated or the UI viewport is resized or something like that!?
    (It's not the only app that gets confused by screen rotation and viewport resize).

Cheers!

Yup, have this also. It happens in lots of other apps too. Thinking it was more of an AUM/iOS 14 issue....?

• Here it’s the BD that has the timing problem, hats seem to go well. About the “all synthesized” thing: I guess they refer to the parts that where synthesized on the TR-909. It would be very weird/not logical to synthesize the cymbals and hats.

• edited December 2020

@analog_matt , Re: timing issues.
    An update today, with ableton link. So I checked the AU in AUM and Link makes no difference, as au’s take their timing And buffer settings info from the host, so I had a fiddle around..
    My project tempo is at 136bpm and AR909 audio is noticeably behind the metronome.
    I dropped the tempo in AUM to 20bpm, and AR909 is noticeably ahead of the metronome.
    Sliding up the bpms, AR909 is exactly in time with the metronome, at 64bpm.
    The amount of timing weirdness seems to be tempo dependant.

• @gsm909 said:
    An update today, with ableton link. So I checked the AU in AUM and Link makes no difference, as au’s take their timing And buffer settings info from the host, so I had a fiddle around..
    My project tempo is at 136bpm and AR909 audio is noticeably behind the metronome.
    I dropped the tempo in AUM to 20bpm, and AR909 is noticeably ahead of the metronome.

Good work!

• Finally a third party fix - just need the right tempo.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Finally a third party fix - just need the right tempo.

😂

Hopefully not 909 bpm, because that would break the tempo barrier and crack the screen from the sonic boom.

• @gusgranite said:

@gsm909 said:

Good work!

Update dropped for me today (UK). Timing issues exactly as before: 25ms for the BD, 12ms for all the other instruments. At least (even worse?) this happens independent of BPM settings.

I think I’m done with this app.

• When I saw “improves timing even more...” in the app’s update description my heart sank a little.

They still know it’s not right.

• Oof, I guess I’ll always have my samples from mars 909 at least

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@gusgranite said:

@gsm909 said:

Good work!

Update dropped for me today (UK). Timing issues exactly as before: 25ms for the BD, 12ms for all the other instruments. At least (even worse?) this happens independent of BPM settings.

I think I’m done with this app.

Yeah me too, I did the test aaaand.. Oh well. Not that an oscilloscope is entirely necessary to hear the flam coming from the late kick, but for scientific reasons I guess. I personally think the previous build was somewhat usable, at least everything was together.
    The only workaround I can think of now, the BD must be hard panned to one side, everything thing else hard panned to the other with a 12ms delay, then mixed back to centre. I'm tired.

• Is the 909 ready to play well with other drum apps?

• They must be trying hard to fix it as there have been a couple of updates to improve timing now. I do feel for the developers. It’s such a shame this wasn’t caught in beta because the app release should have been delayed until it can play in time IMO.

• @Samu said:
    I don't know what's up with the GUI of this app especially when used as AUv3 in AUM on an iPhone (iPhone 8) and switching between landscape and portrait mode. Sometimes wrong knobs are moved (ie. I touch one knob but another knobs value is changed) and some knobs don't react to taps at all...

Cheers!

Yup I get this with most AU's inside AUM on the phone (that or the controls are unresponsive on the right side of the screen) . Tilting the phone to portrait mode and back to landscape with the AU plugin opened fixes it, but you gotta do it every single time you open up an AU window ( @j_liljedahl ).

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Is the 909 ready to play well with other drum apps?

The delay for the BD is about 25ms, for the other instruments it’s 12ms. You’d need to record two drum tracks (at least) and then use delay compensation in your DAW.

Worth it? It sounds damn good but I’d rather create a few sample sets and work with that.

• @iOSTRAKON said:

No, not yet ☹️

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@iOSTRAKON said:

The delay for the BD is about 25ms, for the other instruments it’s 12ms. You’d need to record two drum tracks (at least) and then use delay compensation in your DAW.

Worth it? It sounds damn good but I’d rather create a few sample sets and work with that.

Out of curiosity does the impulse setting (bd transient in parameters) effect this test (low setting being worse)?
    To my ears it’s not sounding too bad now running next to another drum machine (FunkBox)...

• I’m running it in AUM with an instance of SquareAcid driven by Rozeta Bassline and an instance of Ruismaker Noir and it sounds fine with normal “not looking for something wrong” listening. The sounds I can get out of it are awesome!

• Someone here said 64 (?) bpm synced well with other apps

• @gsm909 said:

Here it is

• Such a. Shame
    Money waiting here when it works properly
    Perhaps the next update then
    If not , am sure there be another drum machine in the next few months
    Hope they sus it out soon

• @anickt said:
    I’m running it in AUM with an instance of SquareAcid driven by Rozeta Bassline and an instance of Ruismaker Noir and it sounds fine with normal “not looking for something wrong” listening. The sounds I can get out of it are awesome!

Ya I am confused AF and I have been sober forever...... I play it fine in AUM with no timing issues. Unless I am just old AF and cant tell..... 🤪

• @onerez said:

@anickt said:
    I’m running it in AUM with an instance of SquareAcid driven by Rozeta Bassline and an instance of Ruismaker Noir and it sounds fine with normal “not looking for something wrong” listening. The sounds I can get out of it are awesome!

Ya I am confused AF and I have been sober forever...... I play it fine in AUM with no timing issues. Unless I am just old AF and cant tell..... 🤪

But when you add Skaka and Fractal Bits etc it sounds phasey and out of time.

• @gusgranite said:

@onerez said:

@anickt said:

See that is it. I have only been using it alone. I see now. Thanks

• @onerez said:

@gusgranite said:

@onerez said:

@anickt said:

See that is it. I have only been using it alone. I see now. Thanks

I added Fractal driven by Rozeta XOX to my mix and it still sounds good.