Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• @AnalogCortex said:
    Loving the sounds, but when I try to record in GarageBand via AU, the timeline is empty despite being able to hear what was just recorded. What am I missing?

It means the Auv3 doesn’t support MIDI out. Which for me makes it unusable (beyond the timing issue)

• @Samu said:

@anickt said:

Jesus Christmas on a raft! Y’all are crazy! 🤪🤪🤪 How would you feel to be on the receiving end of some of the happy horse-shit flying around here???

That would at least make me focus more on Q&A and Testing before releasing stuff...
    ...if I was a developer...

Sure, I don’t disagree on that but the attitudes on some people are just uncalled for both here and in other forums I’ve been on. In a face to face discussion there would surely be blood spilled given that same approach! 🤺 🤕😂

• woah, I almost would not have believed that lag aka sync problem. Does that happen in iOS 13 and 14>? Maybe the beta testers were rocking 13 ace and then 14 kicked em in the nuts unknowingly? I love the sound from demos, I wonder why the 808 has no sequencer and a keyboard instead? I feel like I want something like the EG 808, 606, 909 suite. I do not have the 808 or 909 but funk box is close! Cheers and I know they will get this rolling fast, cheers audio kit. I expected mini issues but that video scared me as well.

• @anickt said:

Sure, I don’t disagree on that but the attitudes on some people are just uncalled for both here and in other forums I’ve been on. In a face to face discussion there would surely be blood spilled given that same approach! 🤺 🤕😂

Yepp, I usually stay quite calm and on-point unless I'm met by total ignorance...
    ..if that happens It's just good luck and good bye...

I think what triggers people is that this app has been tried tested by 'Pro's' and still has issues that should have been sorted during beta prior to release.

But then again the definition of 'Pro' is very diffuse, Pro Producer, Pro IT-Nerd, Pro YouTuber, Pro-whatever :)

Cheers!

• edited November 2020

@tk32 said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Time to save few quotes for the next bm3 release? lol

Not sure how to interpret this comment, so I'll take it in good humour. :)

In my opinion, there are serious bugs that should block the release of an app until they are resolved, and then there are others (which I shall call 'papercuts') which may sometimes be permitted in a launch version, as long as they are documented/logged and made explicit to the user - then fixed in a later update.

I think it's fair to say that a drum plugin playing out of sync is what I would consider a 'blocking issue'.

I know exactly what he means 😂😂😂😂. It’s all good tho, we joined the BM3 beta for a reason and it’s to help and resolve some issues. He can do the same, all he gotta do is send an e-mail to Intua just like everyone else did. We stopped complaining and took action.

• ^^
    Beta testers will try their best and dev will decide when/what to release.

• edited November 2020

For all newcomers to iOS / iPadOS music production, don’t be discouraged by heavily promoted / trending apps.

Please understand that iOS music production apps are not all hand-warmers with timing problems.

Most AuV3s are actually rock solid, easy on resources, can be trusted for professional use within DAWs/ “DAWless setups“/even with hardware.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@oceansinspace said:
    woah, I almost would not have believed that lag aka sync problem. Does that happen in iOS 13 and 14>? Maybe the beta testers were rocking 13 ace and then 14 kicked em in the nuts unknowingly?

Nope. It's not OS or hardware dependent.

I love the sound from demos, I wonder why the 808 has no sequencer and a keyboard instead?

The 808 isn't intended as an 808 drum machine emulation. For one thing it's only the kick. That'd be a pretty limited sequencer. ;)

It's meant to be an instrument based on how people have "repurposed" the 808 kick for pitched bass line purposes. A keyboard makes sense for that purpose.

I feel like I want something like the EG 808, 606, 909 suite. I do not have the 808 or 909 but funk box is close! Cheers and I know they will get this rolling fast, cheers audio kit. I expected mini issues but that video scared me as well.

The main thing it has over the EG 909 is that it's synth based, not sample based. This gives a lot more flexibility for sound design. EG's sequencer far better though.

I don't think they intended the sequencer to be much more than a quick idea sketch pad. But, if they enhance it with a few features, it could be on-par with ... say ... a real 909. As it is, it's only a subset of the 909 features.

They obviously focused mostly on the sound and fun factor on this one. And they absolutely hit it out of the park on that score!

• tjatja
    edited November 2020

@wim said:

@tja said:
    They are lying.
    Without any need at all.

This is incorrect behavior.

@tja, I can't say I see any "lies" on the official page about these apps.

While I can't relate to your outrage over their marketing strategy, I respect your right to express it.

Yes, you are right!

Contrary to what they wrote before and contrary to the very idea about the "limited editions" as depected on this website and the description in the App Store, they added a paragraph that says exactly this:

"Will you release the apps again in the future?
    We’ll try to release the apps for a short window at least once a year for those who might have missed them the first time. Join our mailing list to get emailed when they’re released!"

That's a joke...

And, it does not take way the fact that they lied originally and still in the App store! Check out the big "SOLD OUT" there!

They should simply have made them regular Apps...

Anyway, I'm out of their Apps and this topic.

• i bought it.. love it.. Fun to use..Its a cool little 909.. Its only just been release, so it will have a few teething problems, to some people.. Works ok & does what it intended to do.. Like most apps, they will get sorted, & like to support the devs.. Its reasonably priced.. Thinks it great.. I look forward to more of there apps in the future.. ;)

• @analog_matt Hey man I truly love the app, it sounds better than I thought it would, it’s really great, especially for $2.99.

I wanted to give you a heads up, in hopes that this helps with fixing any issues. I just downloaded AK909 on my iPhone 6s which is only on iOS 13.7 and had the same issue as I did with iPad 6 on 14.2 last night. It crashes in standalone, then when I go to AUM and try to load any Auv3 in an audio channel, it says there are no Audio Unit Extensions on this device. I’ve never had this issue before but I have heard others mention having a similar problem but with other things not this app specifically. Today It did the same on my iphone 6s on 13.7 that it did last night on my iPad 14.2. Last night I did a restart and AUM was fixed, (it recognized all my auv3’s again) and AK909 was working fine as an AUv3 in aum. However Standalone still crashes upon loading.

I found it really odd that an app I downloaded made another app, AUM, not recognize any Auv3 apps on my device. Well on 2 separate devices, on 2 separate iOS iterations. Again a restart fixed the AUM issue. Hope some of this helps if you need analytics DM me.

• how do you make it advance to the next pattern automatically?

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@eross said:
    how do you make it advance to the next pattern automatically?

you can't

• @Poppadocrock said:

I found it really odd that an app I downloaded made another app, AUM, not recognize any Auv3 apps on my device. Well on 2 separate devices, on 2 separate iOS iterations. Again a restart fixed the AUM issue. Hope some of this helps if you need analytics DM me.

This happened to me (AUv3 not recognized in AUM) when I updated Drambo using iPadOS 14.2. Restarting the iPad solved the problem. It seems the bug is still lurking in there.

• @dvi said:

@Poppadocrock said:

This happened to me (AUv3 not recognized in AUM) when I updated Drambo using iPadOS 14.2. Restarting the iPad solved the problem. It seems the bug is still lurking in there.

Gotcha. Thanks for that info.

• how many 909s do we need still? i fell like pureacid ended that game

• Well, I for one find their marketing sleazy and the whole limited buy it now or it’s gone or pay some artificial exorbitant price is insulting. Then it does not even work correctly. People say hey it’s only 3 bucks. You Can give them your money, I will not.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@reasOne said:
    how many 909s do we need still? i fell like pureacid ended that game

Really? That's just a sample based drum machine. I like it a lot, but this is a lot more than that - sound wise, that is. Sequencing-wise, it's a lot less. ;)

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

Really? That's just a sample based drum machine. I like it a lot, but this is a lot more than that - sound wise, that is. Sequencing-wise, it's a lot less. ;)

Exactly. PureAcid really is amongst the best news ever but it’s 909 samples sound so weak compared to this monster. Fingers crossed for a few fixes and enhancements.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

i guess i just don’t have the ear for detroit techno 😂 kinda all the emulations sound the same to my old ears. i digress 🤪

• edited November 2020

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    Loving the sounds, but when I try to record in GarageBand via AU, the timeline is empty despite being able to hear what was just recorded. What am I missing?

It means the Auv3 doesn’t support MIDI out. Which for me makes it unusable (beyond the timing issue)

Thanks for the info. So...this app is useless for GarageBand users? Their other apps do support Auv3 midi out I believe. Why would they design this app without midi out support?

• @AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

Thanks for the info. So...this app is useless for GarageBand users?

No. Only the sequencer is, and only then if you require the midi to be recorded in GarageBand. It's useful for playing the app from GarageBand's sequencer.

• edited November 2020

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

No. Only the sequencer is, and only then if you require the midi to be recorded in GarageBand. It's useful for playing the app from GarageBand's sequencer.

Thanks, but I still don’t quite understand. I open 909 as an AU in GarageBand. I pick a 909 preset pattern. I hit record in GarageBand, and the pattern plays through, appearing to be recorded in GarageBand. When I go to track view in GarageBand there appears to be nothing recorded. Though, when I press play I can hear what was recorded.

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline? I apologize for being a doofus.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

Thanks, but I still don’t quite understand. I open 909 as an AU in GarageBand. I pick a 909 preset pattern. I hit record in GarageBand, and the pattern plays through, appearing to be recorded in GarageBand. When I go to track view in GarageBand there appears to be nothing recorded. Though, when I press play I can hear what was recorded.

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline?

You can't. The app doesn't output midi.

You can input your own pattern in GarageBand's piano roll (not in the 909 app itself) to play the 909 app, then you'll have a visual reference and something to work with. Choose an empty pattern in the 909 app so you don't get doubling up of notes. The pads start from C1 on the kick and go up the keyboard chromatically.

• edited November 2020

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline?

You can input your own pattern in GarageBand's piano roll (not in the 909 app itself) to play the 909 app, then you'll have a visual reference and something to work with. Choose an empty pattern in the 909 app so you don't get doubling up of notes. The pads start from C1 on the kick and go up the keyboard chromatically.

But at the moment, even if you use GarageBand to sequence AR-909, it is still not in time.

Here's a loop of a kick and HH in GB and the corresponding audio exported from GB and imported into Logic.

The hit should be at the beginning of the bar. It's quantised to ⅛ notes in GB.

Not good but I'm fairly sure it'll be fixed soon.

It’s such an obvious bug I’m wondering if it crept in after the last beta. You just can’t miss it. The timing is instantly and very obviously off and basically not yet useable in a DAW/Sequencer as an Auv3.

• sounds fantastic WOOTed up

• @AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

How do I record a preset 909 pattern in GarageBand and have visible output to work with on the GarageBand timeline? I apologize for being a doofus.

I’m sure wim will chime in here but as far I understand it 909 doesn’t output its midi sequencer data. So when you say “appearing to be recorded in GarageBand” what do you base this on? Are you seeing any midi note data written to the GB track timeline? Or just that you heard the beat playing whilst you were recording? Are you sure that when you press play you’re not just playing the synced signal from the 909 app again?

I’m with you. My workflow means that any drum machine or groove box that doesn’t output it’s sequencers midi data to a DAWs timeline is of limited use to me (come on PureAcid :'( )

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@klownshed said:
    But at the moment, even if you use GarageBand to sequence AR-909, it is still not in time.

Here's a loop of a kick and HH in GB and the corresponding audio exported from GB and imported into Logic.
    Not good but I'm fairly sure it'll be fixed soon.

Yep, and yep.

I also noticed a really bad aliasing sound when I tuned the kick in GarageBand. I haven't noticed that in other apps. If I tune the kick anywhere but 12:00, I get a ringing sound. This is with the crusher and all other FX disabled.

I need to investigate that one further and do a bug report.

• @wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

Thank you very much. Why would this app not support midi out? I believe their other apps do.

• FPCFPC
    edited November 2020

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@wim said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@realdawei said:

@AnalogCortex said:

Thank you very much. Why would this app not support midi out? I believe their other apps do.

Not all. PureAcid doesn’t. Drum computer does as does EG Pulse. Distressingly for me BeatHawk does but it doesn’t work properly. Many folks on here don’t mind this not working because they’re strange and spend all their time doing jams on AUM (joke!). I’m a traditional DAW finished song kinda guy.