Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit released their 909 app

Comments

• The probability of the latency getting fixed is very low. Probability of being promised a fix for the next year is very high. #experience

• My thoughts exactly... watching the same update notes for second year for D1...

• Drummers complain about audio interface latency above 8ms. But almost 50ms? Come on man!

• I thought the TR-909 was always known to be super tight :) :)

• ´is there velocity? I haven’t seen it yet.

• @david_2017 said:
    ´is there velocity? I haven’t seen it yet.

The button next to 16/32 steps switch will allow you to enter 3 different velocity values. No custom velocity values available.

• @CapnWillie you make some valid points in your recent post. I’ve been doing the same, reaching to developers via other social media platforms that they’re on. I also miss when a lot of developers used to come here and chat with us. It is what it is, they’re reachable via other platforms and maybe forums are getting old and it’s easier for them elsewhere. Anyways two quick updates from audiokit is proof that they’re listening and willing to fix any issues. Props for that. I’m not really into these types of apps but I’m enjoying using this 909 thing.

• I’m not sure what developers??? Yes back when the community was smaller here maybe so they came in, but this place as grown a lot. I see lots of devs come in here. But then again its a strange year so who knows what they have going on in their personal life. And maybe they are busy making us new stuff!! 🤪. Like i said before this place can become like the Mos Eisley cantina..... and I absolutely do not condone personal attacks, but its the internet... you ever read comments on YouTube??? This place is a saint compared to that 😂.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@david_2017 said:
    ´is there velocity? I haven’t seen it yet.

The button next to 16/32 steps switch will allow you to enter 3 different velocity values. No custom velocity values available.

Thanks man! That was my question! Have a good one!

• I appreciate extending the benefit of the doubt, but a drum app that can't play in sync is not worth owning. There's already plenty of sample fodder. It's really weird that they can't get this right. Especially since the parameters are now open in the new update. But it's definitely dragging the beat. So so weird.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I appreciate extending the benefit of the doubt, but a drum app that can't play in sync is not worth owning. There's already plenty of sample fodder. It's really weird that they can't get this right. Especially since the parameters are now open in the new update. But it's definitely dragging the beat. So so weird.

New update, recorded in AUM, buffer at 64, still a significant lag:

• edited November 2020

Just for comparison, Noir looks like this, same setup:

• Thanks for the up date @Philandering_Bastard
    Was hoping it was fixed
    Will not purchase till sorted

• You can save up to £996 buying it now :D

• And you only have to wait few milliseconds for it catch up... lol

• edited November 2020

It's annoying that it got released like this, but as I think I pointed out earlier, if you like the sounds for £3 it's still worth having just to make your own samples.

Record a few (out of time) hits, Twiddle the knobs, chop them up and there ya go... You have your own sounds from a really nice, albeit currently flawed, app. And that solves the CPU issue too.

• @klownshed said:
    It's annoying that it got released like this, but as I think I pointed out earlier, if you like the sounds for £3 it's still worth having just to make your own samples.

Record a few (out of time) hits, Twiddle the knobs, chop them up and there ya go... You have your own sounds from a really nice, albeit currently flawed, app. And that solves the CPU issue too.

I do really like the sound. Still...

• I'm starting to wonder if this latency thing is a fundamental flaw in AudioKit's AUv3 implementation?
    (Does AudioKit time-stamp all the audio blocks it generates. If it does this timing thing would not even be an issue).

Anyways, I hope it gets sorted out as it does sound pretty neat and I have no intention to start rebuilding the sounds with Drambo...

• @Samu said:
    I'm starting to wonder if this latency thing is a fundamental flaw in AudioKit's AUv3 implementation?
    (Does AudioKit time-stamp all the audio blocks it generates. If it does this timing thing would not even be an issue).

Anyways, I hope it gets sorted out as it does sound pretty neat and I have no intention to start rebuilding the sounds with Drambo...

Here’s the 808, driven by Rozeta XOX:

Weirdly, the latency goes UP when I reduce the buffer.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

Did you disable the 'Simulate 808 timing' in Rozeta X0X?

• Even when freezing the track in Cubasis I’m still getting 20+ ms of latency. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• @Samu said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

Did you disable the 'Simulate 808 timing' in Rozeta X0X?

Oops. My bad:

• Doesn’t affect the 909 however:

• The upcoming changes post did mention that sequencer timing was improved in the pending update, but that AUv3 timing improvements were coming after.

• Matt has mentioned to me personally and on Twitter that there are major issues with running a sequencer within a host. Not sure of the technicalities, maybe someone like @Samu could comment, but looks like they might crack it soon, which would be great, cos then I could finally makey video on this beautiful sounding but wonkily timed app, 😂

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Matt has mentioned to me personally and on Twitter that there are major issues with running a sequencer within a host. Not sure of the technicalities, maybe someone like @Samu could comment, but looks like they might crack it soon, which would be great, cos then I could finally makey video on this beautiful sounding but wonkily timed app, 😂

Seems odd to work on fixing sequencer issues at all when there are non-sequencer related latency problems. I'd think you'd want that one put to bed so it's not interfering with resolving the other. But maybe they're completely unrelated and both are being worked on separately.

For the people who are puzzled why this isn't fixed already a few days after release? Software ain't easy, and audio software on iOS is hard as hell. Jeeze, things take time. What seems like a simple turn of a dial or something to you can have many hundreds of lines of code buried in tens of thousands of lines of code. Expecting a fix practically overnight is unrealistic. They'll get there give 'em a little slack.

• What I don’t get is why this issue exists when sending midi and not using their internal sequencer. Never seen it before. Even with their other plugins.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@rezidue said:

What I don’t get is why this issue exists when sending midi and not using their internal sequencer. Never seen it before. Even with their other plugins.

It's easy enough to have happen. iOS audio is a complicated system of processing in buffers, having to process in threads without interrupting other things, for instance, updating a screen when you need to be processing an audio buffer at that instant. Also, the handoff between hosts and plugins is a delicate affair. Add midi processing into the equation and you have even more complicated issues to navigate.

While I'm surprised the timing things weren't found before release, I'm not surprised at all that it's a challenge to fix.

AudioKit isn't a fixed team of developers, so it's not surprising that results aren't always consistent. AudioKit provide libraries that people can use to make audio app development easier. They're not a company of programmers pushing out apps. Rather, they encourage and inspire independent developers to make apps. Individual developers have varying strengths and weaknesses. A group of chefs may shop at the same market, but their creations will vary according to their character and talents. "AudioKit" is just the market where they shop.

• Hehe... “even better timing...” like accurate?