Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FRMS - Granular Synthesizer from Imaginando

Comments

• edited March 2020

OK, maybe it’s me but...IAA version not responding to midi in using AUM.
    EDIT: IAA also not responding in ApeMatrix

• Arp per layer would be interesting.

• Just tested IAA midi and worked ok in AUM from hardware, but not from apps. Looks like a similar issue they had with DRC IAA midi.

• @Clueless said:

@animalelder said:
    I tried to use the OSX demo, but the plugin failed validation. Here is the report:

# # 1442 Global Scope Parameters:

ERROR: Parameter values are different since last set - probable cause: a Meta Param Flag is NOT set on a parameter that will change values of other parameters.

• FAIL

@sinosoidal Not sure if this is a known issue. I have Mojave, Logic 10.4.8

Same but they confirmed and working on it.
    I also really want to test it on mac as well.
    There it seems to have also double the voices.
    (Maybe also because of the huge price difference).

AU validation on Mac was fixed.

Mac Download link updated -> https://www.imaginando.pt/products/frms/downloads

• I’m really not a granular synth person but I like DRC a lot so I bought this one.

And I really like it so far! Even just playing the presets to get an idea of what it can do.

Some beauty in there straight away...

• i’m not opposed to hearing some more audio demos of this synth, the main one for the advertising and the other one on youtube don’t really let you see what she can do or how it sounds in real life

• Hi @sinosoidal AU parameters aren’t working yet unfortunately, there are also many listed as unused.

• @zilld2017 said:
    Here’s a weird one: loading IAA FRMS in AUM...displays FRM icon but opens DRC when tapped. AUV3 loads/opens just fine.

EDIT: deleted DRC from iPad, works fine as IAA.

Confirmed - same here.

• @Carnbot said:
    Hi @sinosoidal AU parameters aren’t working yet unfortunately, there are also many listed as unused.

The ones listed as unused are reserved parameters for the future in case we want to add more parameters without messing with the patch structure.

I'm curious why the others are not working.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Carnbot said:
    Hi @sinosoidal AU parameters aren’t working yet unfortunately, there are also many listed as unused.

The ones listed as unused are reserved parameters for the future in case we want to add more parameters without messing with the patch structure.

Yeah I tried quite a few but couldn’t get any to work so far

• @zilld2017 said:
    Doesn’t respond to Apple Pencil. Anyone else experience this?

I have experienced this on other Imaginando apps too: DRC and the tape delay app...

• @Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:

I have experienced this on other Imaginando apps too: DRC and the tape delay app...

Yup. I even reported that to Nuno (Imaginando) back then...seems to happen again.

• @Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:

IIRC, someone asked the dev about this, & was told it wouldn’t be implemented for this app..
    ..Hopefully that will change, because sound design with the Apple Pencil is great!

• Anybody done a brief comparison vs. Quanta? I’m wondering how they differ sonically and in terms of what sort of results come out at the other end.

• edited March 2020

I would not compare this one to Quanta.
    Me likes both and the outcome is very different.
    Only because its granular doesn’t mean its comparable.

• @MrBlaschke said:

I thought it might compare due to the inclusion of oscillators in both cases, but I’ll hope to find something on YouTube. I didn’t get much of a vibe from Sir Doug’s overview other than FRMS sounds pretty good

• Just Frms inside AUM being sequenced by Seaquencer. Love this synth cant wait for the import your own samples.

• Indeed, this is a lovely synth! Hoping @Spidericemidas agrees and does some sharing (hint, hint).

• @MrBlaschke said:

Quanta has 1 granular sample plus 1 oscillator per sound. FRMS has up to 4 layers per sound, each of which can be a sample or an oscillator. Quanta has two well-specified filters per sound, FRMS has one per layer. The layers in FRMS can then become FM operators / carriers in 8 algorithms.

Both have a very extensive modulation matrix. Quanta has 4 multi-stage envelopes and 2 LFO’s plusS&H, FRMS has 2 regular envelopes plus 1 LFO per layer.

So, yes, quite different. I should also note that FRMS is essentially monophonic on my Air 2. I hope they can optimise the app a bit but of not, no biggie.

• You can also sample into FRMS directly (standalone) and trim the sample

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@MrBlaschke said:

Quanta has 1 granular sample plus 1 oscillator per sound. FRMS has up to 4 layers per sound, each of which can be a sample or an oscillator. Quanta has two well-specified filters per sound, FRMS has one per layer. The layers in FRMS can then become FM operators / carriers in 8 algorithms.

Both have a very extensive modulation matrix. Quanta has 4 multi-stage envelopes and 2 LFO’s plusS&H, FRMS has 2 regular envelopes plus 1 LFO per layer.

So, yes, quite different. I should also note that FRMS is essentially monophonic on my Air 2. I hope they can optimise the app a bit but of not, no biggie.

Thanks for this. Sounds quite flexible and possibly crazy as heck.

• That’s a shame, I’ve got a Pro 9.7 and I think that roughly the same as an air two...

I should also note that FRMS is essentially monophonic on my Air 2. I hope they can optimise the app a bit but of not, no biggie.

• More I dig into iPad music production more I see the cpu limitations. No love for music yet, just games and graphics for iPad.

• Yep it’s pretty cpu heavy even on Pro2. But I prefer that apps are built to maximum potential to sound as good as possible.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yep it’s pretty cpu heavy even on Pro2. But I prefer that apps are built to maximum potential to sound as good as possible.

Can you explain more exactly. So how many instances with 4 voices can it run at 512 buffer f.e.
    I guess maybe 2-3?

• @Clueless said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yep it’s pretty cpu heavy even on Pro2. But I prefer that apps are built to maximum potential to sound as good as possible.

Can you explain more exactly. So how many instances with 4 voices can it run at 512 buffer f.e.
    I guess maybe 2-3?

It’s not that straightforward because it depends what the preset is doing, if the LFOs are moving fast, if the preset has all samples, if they are 2mb samples each, if there’s loads of grains running etc etc. I’ve only being using it with one instance really for me with all my other AU effects in a template that’s enough. I can’t see myself using more than one instance of it at a time personally but haven’t tried so far. So I can’t really answer that, if they are simple patches probably 2 to 3 yes but not tried this :)

• Anybody any idea when we will be able to import our own samples into this beast?

• @Carnbot said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah I tried quite a few but couldn’t get any to work so far

Can you > @Toastedghost said:

Anybody any idea when we will be able to import our own samples into this beast?

I'm working on the 1.0.1 update with some important fixes to issues that have been reported by the community. I hope to include iOS sample load on it. Less than 7 days I believe. :blush:

• @Carnbot how would you describe FRMS learning curve? Is it pretty intuitive? Or, needs a manual read and tutorial or two?

• I’m wondering if with the sample/granular basis to the FM thing if this can act as a sort of ‘roll your own’ Mononoke type deal, using shorter simpler waveforms?