Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FRMS - Granular Synthesizer from Imaginando

Comments

• @gdog said:

@Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:
    Doesn’t respond to Apple Pencil. Anyone else experience this?

I have experienced this on other Imaginando apps too: DRC and the tape delay app...

IIRC, someone asked the dev about this, & was told it wouldn’t be implemented for this app..
    ..Hopefully that will change, because sound design with the Apple Pencil is great!

The only apps that do not support apple pencil. All Imaginando apps and Cubasis 3 😆
    Still cant believe it.

• @sinosoidal will be doing a live overview of FRMS =)

• Thanks for doing this but I can’t watch now. Hope you’ll put it up on YouTube when finished.🙏

• It seems like a common theme that iPad Pro models on iOS13 show worse audio-related performance than an older iPad 6 (2018 model) on iOS12.

• edited March 2020

How can FRMS be used to generate smooth granular pads out of sounds containing a lot of transient attacks?
    SpaceCraft has been great at doing that, I'd love to know the trick how to do that in FRMS because it's a much more synth-like experience than SpaceCraft 👍🏼

@MrBlaschke In terms of "roughness", FRMS does remind me of Quanta quite a bit.

• Anybody describe what’s the unique features where other synths lack ? Whenever a new synth introduced by the developer, they have just mentioned the features and failed to specify how it differs from other synths app.

• edited March 2020

Hi there everyone,

I've just uploaded version 1.0.1 for beta testing with the following fixes:

• Adds iOS filesystem file importing mechanism
    • Fixes midi channels settings initialisation
    • Fixes solo crash on AUv3
    • Fixes high quality and MPE settings initialisation

Regarding file import. What I have done was:

On the file manager I have added a new item under the System category with the name "Imported", below "Recordings". This will start empty and you can click on the "Import..." button to choose a file from your iOS file system. The file will be copied to this "Imported" folder. Then you can use it normally as you would to with a the recordings or factory bank.

I understand that this is not the best approach but this is new to me and I didn't want to rush a solution that could break our complex file management system and cause even more problems. Until I get more knowledge about this matter and provide a more simple solution, this will allow you to load your own samples into FRMS.

If you want to test this version, please send me a private message with your TestFlight email.

Looking forward to hear your feedback.

Have a great Sunday and please Stay Safe! :blush:

• @sinosoidal said:
    Hi there everyone,

I've just uploaded version 1.0.1 for beta testing with the following fixes:

• Adds iOS filesystem file importing mechanism
    • Fixes midi channels settings initialisation
    • Fixes solo crash on AUv3
    • Fixes high quality and MPE settings initialisation

Regarding file import. What I have done was:

On the file manager I have added a new item under the System category with the name "Imported", below "Recordings". This will start empty and you can click on the "Import..." button to choose a file from your iOS file system. The file will be copied to this "Imported" folder. Then you can use it normally as you would to with a the recordings or factory bank.

I understand that this is not the best approach but this is new to me and I didn't want to rush a solution that could break our complex file management system and cause even more problems. Until I get more knowledge about this matter and provide a more simple solution, this will allow you to load your own samples into FRMS.

If you want to test this version, please send me a private message with your TestFlight email.

Looking forward to hear your feedback.

Have a great Sunday and please Stay Safe! :blush:

Much appreciated. Message sent.

• I bought FRMS last night and played around with it for about an hour.

Was hesitant to buy because I thought it might be redundant with Quanta that I already have and love.

While there is a lot of overlap, it significantly different in enough ways that I’m glad I pulled the trigger.

I only watched about 15mins of @sinosoidal ’s overview video and was able to figure most of the interface out quickly. Helped that I’m already familiar with Quanta. I didn’t watch Dougs video.

The presets are magnificent and very different from the also magnificent Quanta presets.

I find the interface of FRMS a little more intuitive to navigate than Quanta overall, but not radically different.

Love granular stuff anyway so FRMS was a must have regardless of any overlap.

Still have some learning to do with FRMS, but so far I’m really loving it. :)

• Yeah, having worked through more of the presets I now have to agree with them that this is a VERY musical-sounding Granular synth, some truly wonderful presets! Still getting a LOT of stuck notes though on a seaboard, in both the public version and beta @sinosoidal

But glad to say that the mpe enabling in AU is now stable

• By the way, the panic button is not working to get rid of these stuck notes I mentioned @sinosoidal

• @skiphunt said:
    I bought FRMS last night and played around with it for about an hour.

Was hesitant to buy because I thought it might be redundant with Quanta that I already have and love.

While there is a lot of overlap, it significantly different in enough ways that I’m glad I pulled the trigger.

I only watched about 15mins of @sinosoidal ’s overview video and was able to figure most of the interface out quickly. Helped that I’m already familiar with Quanta. I didn’t watch Dougs video.

The presets are magnificent and very different from the also magnificent Quanta presets.

I find the interface of FRMS a little more intuitive to navigate than Quanta overall, but not radically different.

Love granular stuff anyway so FRMS was a must have regardless of any overlap.

Still have some learning to do with FRMS, but so far I’m really loving it. :)

thanks for your feedback and support! :blush: :heart:

• @sinosoidal

Could you please extend the onscreen keyboard to at least 24 keys/2 octaves? Also, doing 3 note chords hangs the keys for a sec, 2 and 4 notes are fine (iPad Pro 2nd gen latest iOS). Cheers.

• The vertical line above the keyboard (if I remember right, not at my iPad now) can be adjusted by dragging the left side to the left and / or the right side to the right, this gives control over keyboard range @ChrisG

• @cian said:
    Also do my regular reminder to everyone that Imaginado do great videos on sound design. One of the best free resources out there.

Much appreciated! - hadn't seen these. Bit of a goldmine of ideas! Cheers B)

• @Gavinski said:
    The vertical line above the keyboard (if I remember right, not at my iPad now) can be adjusted by dragging the left side to the left and / or the right side to the right, this gives control over keyboard range @ChrisG

Thanks but it’s limited to 17 keys.

• @sinosoidal Looks like a great synth ... I see it has live Mic input ... can the AUv3 version accept audio input if it's loaded as an effect? Maybe this is answered already ...

• @Carnbot said:
    Randomiser is great, yes AUv3 included, not an AU effect though.

Randomiser? Does it have one of those? If so, it's not in the feature list.

• @craftycurate said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes, it’s on the top right of the interface, icon with double arrows. Same as with DRC. It randomises all values. Creates quite cpu heavy settings sometimes though.

• @Carnbot said:

@craftycurate said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes, it’s on the top right of the interface, icon with double arrows. Same as with DRC. It randomises all values. Creates quite cpu heavy settings sometimes though.

Great thanks!

• edited March 2020

Just downloaded and really enjoying this but as an AUv3 instrument parts of the interface are unavailable in BM3, Cubasis and AUM on 2017 5th generation iPad iOS 12.4

• I hope the seaboard stuck keys problem is being worked on, because this is currently pretty unusable for me due to that. Probably useful for the dev to know, are people with other mpe controllers having problems or is it only a seaboard issue?

• Great on iOS fabulous stuff. It's a crash fest on Android however on my Mate 30.Pro phone which is a shame.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Great on iOS fabulous stuff. It's a crash fest on Android however on my Mate 30.Pro phone which is a shame

Oh well you’ve confirmed what everyone on this forum knows.....android is effffin’ bollocks😳

• @tpj said:

@gdog said:

@Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:

I have experienced this on other Imaginando apps too: DRC and the tape delay app...

IIRC, someone asked the dev about this, & was told it wouldn’t be implemented for this app..
    ..Hopefully that will change, because sound design with the Apple Pencil is great!

The only apps that do not support apple pencil. All Imaginando apps and Cubasis 3 😆
    Still cant believe it.

We will add Apple Pencil support to version 1.0.1. The problem is:

• You will need to enable an option under settings just like MPE enable.

Now, we have a question for you: Do you want to play the keyboard with Apple Pencil as well?

• @sinosoidal
    I guess you get „Yes“ and „No“ - so maybe also optional? Me personally, i don’t care about playing the keyboard with my pencil, but i guess it might happen if you use your pencil to edit patches.

• @sinosoidal said:

@tpj said:

@gdog said:

@Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:

Still cant believe it.

Now, we have a question for you: Do you want to play the keyboard with Apple Pencil as well?

Its not a matter of playing a keyboard on a touch screen.
    Apple pencil is a input device, just like your finger, trackpad, mouse or keyboard.

Its a matter of having fine control of the interface which works in 99.99999% of all ios apps that exist.
    Cubase 3 had this issue but thats now fixed. So you are alone again😊

What makes this apple pencil issue so complex in all your apps, ( which i all purchased and enjoy to use ) when any other developer doesn't have an issue with this?

• @tpj said:

@sinosoidal said:

@tpj said:

@gdog said:

@Monome said:

@zilld2017 said:

Still cant believe it.

Its not a matter of playing a keyboard on a touch screen.
    Apple pencil is a input device, just like your finger, trackpad, mouse or keyboard.

Its a matter of having fine control of the interface which works in 99.99999% of all ios apps that exist.
    Cubase 3 had this issue but thats now fixed. So you are alone again😊

What makes this apple pencil issue so complex in all your apps, ( which i all purchased and enjoy to use ) when any other developer doesn't have an issue with this?

Because most of the developers are iOS only... We are on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android!

We work on top of a framework and stuff like mouse and touch handling is done by their components. We have a component that handles Mouse (not multitouch, which means that only one control can be used at the same time - works with Apple Pencil), and a component that handles Multitouch (several controls using the components can be interacted at the same time - doesn't work with Apple Pencil).

In summary, in order to make Apple Pencil without having to wait for updates on the underlying framework, I need to choose between handling the touch with a mouse component or touch component. That's what we have done on todays 1.0.1 beta update.

If you choose to enable Apple Pencil support, you wont be able to use several components at the same time.

If we enable Apple Pencil on the keyboard, you wont be able to play with several fingers. Only play with the Apple Pencil.

So now you ask again: "but why do other developers can and you can't?" And I will tell you again:

Because most of the developers are iOS only... We are on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android! :blush:

• @sinosoidal Quick question - anything I'd be gaining by purchasing this app for Mac desktop? More horsepower for more polyphony I presume? Correct? Thanks.

• @kinkujin said:
    @sinosoidal Quick question - anything I'd be gaining by purchasing this app for Mac desktop? More horsepower for more polyphony I presume? Correct? Thanks.

Technically nothing. The software is exactly the same! You will get 8 voices because there will be more processing power. You can run it on Windows and Mac. The desktop license allows you to install on up to 5 different computers.