Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pure Synth® Platinum Now Available

Comments

• Thank you @GospelMusicians, no harm, no foul. I still think it is a super app for those who can avail themselves of it.

• Now that is how you deal with customers!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @GospelMusicians, no harm, no foul. I still think it is a super app for those who can avail themselves of it.

👍🏽

• I really really love the Nylon guitar after tweaking it with EQ and another reverb in the Pure Synth app, the guitar truly comes alive! Again I was playing during my lunch hour and time just flew by! So awesome! Haven’t had this much fun in a long time! Recorded it into Photon all within AUM.

Will do some Cubasis testing but for some odd reason Cubasis has been super sluggish lately. I will try some settings chang d if not reinstall; but will report back any issues.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

Ok did some testing:

In Cubasis set at 16 bit 44.1 kHz project I was able to get only 2 instances of Pure Synth to work flawlessly but as soon as I added the third, sound would abruptly cut out and had to restart Cubasis; all worked as soon as third instance was deleted.

In a 24 bit project at 44.1 kHz I was able to run 3 instances of Pure Synth working flawlessly. As soon as 4th instance was added, same issue, sound gone and had to restart Cubasis and delete 4th
    instance and the sound didn’t come back. Had to delete the third instance and restart Cubasis.

After restart I added third instance to see if it worked again and it wasn’t stable and the third instance would freeze up the sound again.

In summary for my iPad 2 instances are very stable at either 16 or 24 bit projects.

No crackles, no skips but sweet sound!

This is on a 2017 iPad 9.7” latest IOS.

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2019

I can run 4 instances in Cubasis (iPad Pro 10.5) with Flamenco Guitar, Boy Choir Hall, Neo-Soul-Horns and Full Jazz Upright Bass. BUT i removed all instances of DreamVerb from these presets and used a Kleverb AU as send fx instead as i know from Bassalicious that the reverb FX make a big hit on the CPU. The CPU was below 50% in my tests and the patterns play without any crackles. Audio is 16bit 44khz with Low latency setting.

• If i freeze one of the Pure Synth tracks and then after testing that everything is playing okay , all instances of Pure Synth crash on on unfreezing the track. (Could reproduce this behavior three times)
    • In one out of about five times after restarting Cubasis and reloading the projects the sound plays just for a short time (about 1/2 a bar), then it starts crackling and all Pure Synth instances crash.
  • edited June 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Ok did some testing:

In Cubasis set at 16 bit 44.1 kHz project I was able to get only 2 instances of Pure Synth to work flawlessly but as soon as I added the third, sound would abruptly cut out and had to restart Cubasis; all worked as soon as third instance was deleted.

In a 24 bit project at 44.1 kHz I was able to run 3 instances of Pure Synth working flawlessly. As soon as 4th instance was added, same issue, sound gone and had to restart Cubasis and delete 4th
    instance and the sound didn’t come back. Had to delete the third instance and restart Cubasis.

After restart I added third instance to see if it worked again and it wasn’t stable and the third instance would freeze up the sound again.

In summary for my iPad 2 instances are very stable at either 16 or 24 bit projects.

This makes total sense and matches all of the numbers of our testers and developers. You could probably get more tracks, but you probably ran out of RAM. Apple limits the AUv3 to a limited amount of RAM. We do, however, have plans to optimize a bit more to squeeze some more tracks and reduce RAM. The new update we have coming out soon, should help a bit as well.

Very interesting that your version of iOS is not even the top Pro version. You can also squeeze out some more tracks just by using a single sound and a Reverb and reducing the modulations to what most Apps are doing on the appstore....i.e. 1-sound/oscillator, 1-instert effect, and one reverb (not the DreamVerb).

Even on the Desktop, users are encouraged to bounce down tracks to save some CPU :).

• edited June 2019

Of course there is (apparently) a Cubasis update on the near horizon. Just sayin' etc. :) Working nicely for me in NS2.

• Thanks! Will try removing effects and see what happens. But so far I’m more than happy with the quality of the app and the quality of the sounds it produces. Maybe the best thing is to freeze tracks and get more mileage that way also.

@GospelMusicians said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Ok did some testing:

This makes total sense and matches all of the numbers of our testers and developers. You could probably get more tracks, but you probably ran out of RAM. Apple limits the AUv3 to a limited amount of RAM. We do, however, have plans to optimize a bit more to squeeze some more tracks and reduce RAM. The new update we have coming out soon, should help a bit as well.

Very interesting that your version of iOS is not even the top Pro version. You can also squeeze out some more tracks just by using a single sound and a Reverb and reducing the modulations to what most Apps are doing on the appstore....i.e. 1-sound/oscillator, 1-instert effect, and one reverb (not the DreamVerb).

Even on the Desktop, users are encouraged to bounce down tracks to save some CPU :).

• Loving the sounds so far. Bit annoying that the keyboard blocks part of the preset list - please can you make it possible to scroll the list rather than having to close down the keyboard each time I want to audition a preset that is hidden by it?
    Thanks!

• @TimRussell said:
    Loving the sounds so far. Bit annoying that the keyboard blocks part of the preset list - please can you make it possible to scroll the list rather than having to close down the keyboard each time I want to audition a preset that is hidden by it?
    Thanks!

Do you mean scroll the preset list like this?

• edited June 2019

Anyone else getting a clicking sound after release when playing more than one note at a time on most of the the acoustic and electric guitars using the iPad keyboard ? This is in standalone mode. No other sounds seem to be affected.

• Jamal, my little brother has a $25 gift code from Gospel Musicians but he only uses IOS now and the Giftcodes are not connected to iOS apps on your site (therefore can't use it)...., can he exchange his gift code for the pure synth iOS app please, he does not care that the app cost less than the $25 gift code is worth?

• @GospelMusicians said:

@TimRussell said:
    Loving the sounds so far. Bit annoying that the keyboard blocks part of the preset list - please can you make it possible to scroll the list rather than having to close down the keyboard each time I want to audition a preset that is hidden by it?
    Thanks!

The preset box itself should be scrollable instead of having to scroll the synth interface that’s behind it

• @MonzoPro. I have an Air2, latest iOS. I had 1 instance of pure synth in AUM buffered at 512 just scrolling presets and adding favorites.
    About 3-4 minutes in things got wonky. Stuck notes and random noises like I haven't encountered yet.
    Things were good in stand alone but I didn’t fiddle too long.
    In fairness to @GospelMusicians it’s clearly stated what system recommendations are and our Air 2 ain’t on the list.
    I’m keeping it though. Those vocal presets and pads are amazing.
    Likely going to pull the trigger on a new Pro soon. This might be the app that finally gets me there.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

@Samu said:
    How well does it run on an iPad Air 2 considering the requirements?
    (I'm still on app-spending diet).

Interesting question. I have one laying around as well that maybe I could just use for these coupe big apps.

Samu, is the app 9.99 or is it 9.pp plus more iap? I can't find answer

It's $9.99 and all IAP's are no cost to download sample content. Part I (~3GB) of the content allows all the
    supplied Presets for ROM-pler sound to play. Part II adds more samples (another ~3GB) but they do not have presets and I guess you need to make some to audition the extra sounds.

When Bassalicious went on sale a lot of commenters said they wouldn't like an App that forced a lot of GB
    onto their iPad so they came up with this 2 stage approach to get it down to a smaller download to use it.

Later this month the price will double.

Sonically, the presets combine the sounds of a whole collection of existing Apps: pianos, EP's, strings, synths, horns, guitars, organs... Doug @thesoundtestroom made a great video demo.

I hope we can share presets... there must be some gems in the 2nd download set waiting to be configured for use.

For me this product is like a much cheaper Korg Module and is also an AUv3 app. Sounds load up really quickly for live keyboard players to use.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Yeah those are the kind of crashes I was getting in Cubasis. Apparently Cubasis is in bad shape right now though and due for an update. Hopefully that includes fixes for this. Surely an AU shouldn’t totally crash the audio of the app when ram is reached (which I suspect is the problem as described by @GospelMusicians)? It’s not like it’s reaching the full RAM limit of the device.... I’d have thought there’d be some kind of failsafe possible to be built-in? Like a ‘Ram limit reached, please reduce AUs’ message. Not just crash and require restart app?

No, unfortunately that's not possible. Neither for the host nor for the plugin. iOS invalidates (crashes) the plugin without warning when it crosses the memory barrier and there is no mechanism to catch the exception before it happens.

That's why it's such a nasty phenomenon and I wish Apple would just remove the memory cap already.

• edited June 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Ok did some testing:

@Tones4Christ Be interesting to see if it’s any better after today’s Cubasis 2 update.

• @Tones4Christ Just tried 3 instances of Pure Synth inside the latest Cubasis 2 update 2.8. CPU meters hitting about 50 to 70 % on iPad Pro 9.7 2017 latest iOS. Hardware latency set to medium. Large recording buffer on. 16bit 24hz. No crackles at present so seems to be a improvement with the update.

• edited June 2019

@GospelMusicians said:

@TimRussell said:
    Thanks!

@GospelMusicians
    How do I do that?
    What I mean is being able to flick up and down a long list of presets in the far right column without have to close the keyboard down to see the ones at the bottom. The up/down arrows don’t solve this as I can’t actually see the names of the presets hidden by the keyboard and I don’t want to have to load each one in turn in order to get to the ones at the bottom.

• edited June 2019

@GospelMusicians, well, a minor miracle! The new Cubasis update fixed all problems with both apps!
    Now, to someone not an iOS addict, this might be a small thing, but I am listening just to a bass track using acoustic 1 with BASSalicious and it is crystal clear and gorgeous. Having struggled for quite a while with BASSalicious It is amazing to hear the app perform perfectly. I’m glad I didn’t dis the apps, Jamal!
    I am now a Gospel Musicians man! Thank you. And thank you, Cubasis. Your timing is uncanny! Thank you, too, @LFS! 😅😅😂🤣🤩🥳😍

• I caved, since the current price is hard to beat, but so far my experience in iOS13 beta and Cubasis 2.8 has not been too good. Flaky as F... - but unsure whether it's the plugin or the host or the OS 😉

I normally use mainly Korg Gadget which still seems to run fine, so I guess I'll stick to that for the moment, but wanted to get this, to prepare myself for an AUv3 future and if I ever want to switch to a more linear DAW again :smiley:

I'm not too keen on the graphics, but you can't beat the "Bang-for-the-buck" factor of getting 6GB of sounds for this price. And very nice sounds too :blush:

• I think one overlooked feature of this app is for sample mangling. Granted for the time being you can only mangle the internal samples, but there are plenty of those to play with - so you can easily create your own character piano, or twisted weird vocal sound etc... It's really good at this stuff.

Adding the ability to import user samples one day would be a nice bonus.

• @Peter321 ... buffer size at 512? Cubasis 2.8 solved my PureSynth and BASSalicious problem.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Peter321 ... buffer size at 512? Cubasis 2.8 solved my PureSynth and BASSalicious problem.

On Cubasis or Pure Synth? Not even sure if the PS app setting affects the AU?`I’ll have to experiment with thanks. Thanks for the heads up :+1: