Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• this app is very useful. only thing i wish is maki g the note velocity easier to dial in. it would be nice if you could just draw a line across the each notes velocity stack to set the velocities very quickly.

• I'm using up to eight hardware synths per AUM project so I need to assign them to eight different midi channels and can't seem to find that setting...

• @HydraGen said:
    I'm using up to eight hardware synths per AUM project so I need to assign them to eight different midi channels and can't seem to find that setting...

I assume your hardware synths are sending on separate channels? If so, then open up the routing for each channel, and de-select the channels that you don’t want. Example below: filtering out all but channel 2.

• Ahhh, I feel pretty silly :/

Thanks for your help.

• No problemo!

• I may have missed it in the pages of posts here (tried searching them earlier)....Is compatibility with GarageBand a planned update? Outside of AUM (which I don't really use), it looks like all compatible DAW's are iPad only. GB would be a huge win for iPhone users.

• @peanut_gallery said:
    I may have missed it in the pages of posts here (tried searching them earlier)....Is compatibility with GarageBand a planned update? Outside of AUM (which I don't really use), it looks like all compatible DAW's are iPad only. GB would be a huge win for iPhone users.

This is 100% Apple’s problem. They have not updated GarageBand to allow MIDI AUv3 apps to work at all. AUv3 sound generators and audio effects work fine, but MIDI only apps won’t work until GarageBand is updated.... when, who knows :neutral:

• @Hmtx said:

@peanut_gallery said:
    I may have missed it in the pages of posts here (tried searching them earlier)....Is compatibility with GarageBand a planned update? Outside of AUM (which I don't really use), it looks like all compatible DAW's are iPad only. GB would be a huge win for iPhone users.

This is 100% Apple’s problem. They have not updated GarageBand to allow MIDI AUv3 apps to work at all. AUv3 sound generators and audio effects work fine, but MIDI only apps won’t work until GarageBand is updated.... when, who knows :neutral:

The way Apple has been so fucking clueless lately - probably will never come. They just don't get it.

• @Janosax said:
    @blueveek is it technically possible to add a movable left locator? For now only right end loop locator can be moved. Being able to move left and right locator could be really nice to build a track with some loops variations, chorus, verses, etc especially in Atom loop record mode.

Yeah, it's definitely possible from an implementation standpoint. And it's a nice idea, there were few other people hinting at this too; would make punch-ins much easier.

• Any news, comments or insights into saving, managing, loading, sharing sequences in this app?

• @david_2017 said:
    Any news, comments or insights into saving, managing, loading, sharing sequences in this app?

@blueveek is adding a file saving in an update.

Until then use AUM or AB3 and save the work in a Preset/Config file.

• @david_2017 said:
    Any news, comments or insights into saving, managing, loading, sharing sequences in this app?

Sequences are either
    1. Saveable as host presets (also available in the Files app for AUM, others too when the host allows it)
    2. Auto-saveable as part of host projects

Upcoming AUM updates also allow loading single tracks or channels from other projects, and Atom naturally works nicely with this workflow as well.

MIDI file import/export is planned for a future update.

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@Janosax said:
    @blueveek is it technically possible to add a movable left locator? For now only right end loop locator can be moved. Being able to move left and right locator could be really nice to build a track with some loops variations, chorus, verses, etc especially in Atom loop record mode.

Yeah, it's definitely possible from an implementation standpoint. And it's a nice idea, there were few other people hinting at this too; would make punch-ins much easier.

Yes please. Being able to punch into very specific bars is pretty much essential for my work flow. Coming from an Ableton background I'm just used to being able to chose a specific portion of the piano roll. Being able to move that left loop start would pretty much make this perfect for me.

• @blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

Would like to add a tick in the left locator column desire list request etc.

• Atom has been an amazing bridge for me to get excited about Midi sequencing (from more of a live player’s perspective). Truly, literally, a game changer for me. Thank you @blueveek !!!

• edited April 2019

@Hmtx said:

@peanut_gallery said:

Thanks for the insight! I wasn't aware that was the root issue.

• @wim said:

@HydraGen said:
    I'm using up to eight hardware synths per AUM project so I need to assign them to eight different midi channels and can't seem to find that setting...

I assume your hardware synths are sending on separate channels? If so, then open up the routing for each channel, and de-select the channels that you don’t want. Example below: filtering out all but channel 2.

The problem is that Atom will still send all messages to channel 1, which is not the channel the external synth is expecting to receive messages on.

• If you have Midi Tools (also by @blueveek) you can use the Clone and Filter module to send midi from a piano roll to any midi channel.
    You have to set this up per piano roll so it would be less cumbersome to send directly from each piano roll.

• Atom has really a powerful quantize feature with note start, lenght and end, I like it!!!

• @Janosax said:
    Atom has really a powerful quantize feature with note start, lenght and end, I like it!!!

Agreed, I especially like the fact that even when recording with 'snap on' it's still possible to go back and check how sloppy the timing really was by dragging the note start from 100% to 0% :)

Don't know if we'll at some point get a 'non destructive swing' and option for dotted notes for the grid?

• @Samu said:
    Don't know if we'll at some point get a 'non destructive swing' and option for dotted notes for the grid?

I wish someone would offer 1/6 as a grid option so groups of 3 could exist next to groups of 4 spread over 2 bars (12 slots). Groupings of 5 could be considered over 5 bars.

Then we could easily create 3 over 4 patterns. 3 over 5's (in a larger scale).

Is there a StreamByter script to add "swing"? NOTE: swing converts ben pulses towards triplets (leaving out the middle note of the triplet). It's implemented as a scale allowing degrees of shift towards the precise triplet so outside the idea of a grid.

If we could see 6 note grids per pulse (Quarter Note) we could put duples next to triplets in the grid we could have a strict "swing" option right in the piano roll. I'm sure some piano rolls just allow 8ths and 8th triplets to be selected. I just want to see precise slots to make
    polyrhythms that I can only do by turning off quantize and trying to perform them perfectly.

I can't even imagine what this request means to the typical MIDI implementations in our favorite apps but if one developer hears me and thinks... I could do that as an option.
    Polyrhythm's and complex meters are all the rage at the Music Education schools.

Ta-ke-ta Ta-ka Tah-Dah! (3+2+2 = 7)

Want to have your mind blow about create use of note groups?

The performer plays complex piano and "beat boxes" something as complex at the same time but try to make it to the explanation of how groups are used to create similarities at
    different scales which comes up at the very end.

• edited April 2019

@McD said:

@Samu said:

I wish someone would offer 1/6 as a grid option so groups of 3 could exist next to groups of 4 spread over 2 bars (12 slots). Groupings of 5 could be considered over 5 bars.

Grid with a value of 1/4 and triplets ON is identical to 1/6, and is possible in Atom. Messing around with that and the time signature (going for 5/4 or 7/8 etc.) might give you what you're looking for (the Indian Ta-ke-ta etc. groupings).

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@McD said:

@Samu said:

Grid with a value of 1/4 and triplets ON is identical to 1/6, and is possible in Atom. Messing around with that and the time signature (going for 5/4 or 7/8 etc.) might give you what you're looking for (the Indian Ta-ke-ta etc. groupings).

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

Here's how this setup would look in atom: 5/4, snap to 1/6 by using 1/4 with triplets. This gives you exactly 7 beats per bar. This might also be easier with just 7/4 :)

• @blueveek said:
    Grid with a value of 1/4 and triplets ON is identical to 1/6, and is possible in Atom.

Perfect. I'm loving the live looping so far without quantizing but it appears I should also dig into the step function to try out some polyrhythm madness.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

The problem is that Atom will still send all messages to channel 1, which is not the channel the external synth is expecting to receive messages on.

True, but the question was about receiving from hardware, not sending to it. It did address the OP’s issue. mfxStrip will easily do such a conversion outbound if needed. But hopefully channelized recording and output will be added. It is indeed limiting as-is.

• @wim said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

True, but the question was about receiving from hardware, not sending to it. It did address the OP’s issue. mfxStrip will easily do such a conversion outbound if needed. But hopefully channelized recording and output will be added. It is indeed limiting as-is.

aaah, got it, I had assumed that @HydraGen wanted to output to those synths as well

• @jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

aaah, got it, I had assumed that @HydraGen wanted to output to those synths as well

Yes...

My main goal is to send those to the different synths not receive so much. I would like to have 8 channels of aum loaded with 8 instances of atom each sending to a different midi channel to each corresponding synth.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@HydraGen said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

Yes...

My main goal is to send those to the different synths not receive so much. I would like to have 8 channels of aum loaded with 8 instances of atom each sending to a different midi channel to each corresponding synth.

Stop! Hardware envy is real. Appaholism is bad enough without chronic Gear Acquisition Syndrome flare-ups. :D

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@jipumarino said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:

Yes...

Stop! Hardware envy is real. Appaholism is bad enough without chronic Gear Acquisition Syndrome flare-ups. :D

Let me see if I can remember... 1) AN1x 2) SY-85 3) Virus 4) Nova 5-6) JV-1080 7) E4X.

Damn! Can't beat him! :D (that was my "lineup" at the height of my hardware times)

• If we're going OT to hardware I have some stories about "Rolling Pianos" into difficult places.
    "Piano Rolls"... OK. I didn't think so.

I wonder if the AudioKit AUv3 software will get @SevenSystems into the MIDI FX market.
    He's got more ideas than time but you know he'd have a lot of back catalog to re-release as
    FX units.