Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• @blueveek really enjoy using Atom 😊

Only problem for me is the 41 bar limit. Will it be changed in the next update?

• @White said:
    @blueveek really enjoy using Atom 😊

Only problem for me is the 41 bar limit. Will it be changed in the next update?

Realy, it has a limit?
    Why?!?

@blueveek Please remove any limits.

• @tk32 said:
    Great video here from TheAudioDabbler explaining non-destructive (per note) quantise settings in detail:

Brilliant video :)

• Got a nice groove going with about 5 ATOM instances (drum, bass, chords, etc.)... The chords can trigger STA for some amazing sequences... and the amazing Blocs Wave to bring in the world.. I can get the Blocs Audio out for desktop but, we cannot get those midi data from ATOM out, as there is no midi export... So I am stuck with a nice project on the iPad but all those $300 VST instruments on desktop cannot get the midi ( well, without a series of things to get it out).

I guess this is my plug for Midi Export/Import, to make this great app even greater.. Thanks..

• Hmm, are there any plans to add swing/groove-quantise to Atom?
    Maybe this is something that should be handled by the host?

It could be pretty handy to apply 'swing' on per instance basis :)

• edited April 2019

I personally don't think I'll ever use 41 bars in one piano roll 🤣 but I see it's requested a lot so I'm sure it'll come...
    I'm still loving atom and can't say enough good about it
    All I want is to be able to add rests to input!

• @reasOne said:
    I personally don't think I'll ever use 41 bars in one piano roll 🤣 but I see it's requested a lot so I'm sure it'll come...
    I'm still loving atom and can't say enough good about it
    All I want is to be able to add rests to input!

+1 on the with a 'button' (that can be mapped to sustain pedal) to add a rest or tie the held notes.
    And well, cc support and multiple clips per instance is something that will be super nice when it comes :)

• been searching the forum but cant seem to find it. how do i set the midi out channel with atom on aum?

i have my midi channel created with atom, on the routing, atom is going into my audio interface midi in, but cant figure out how to get this going after that. on the midi settings for aums midi channel, i can ser destinations for midi going into atom i think, right?

step polyarp and fugue machine are pretty straightforward with this, i guess im just blind? :'(

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@perestroika said:
    been searching the forum but cant seem to find it. how do i set the midi out channel with atom on aum?

i have my midi channel created with atom, on the routing, atom is going into my audio interface midi in, but cant figure out how to get this going after that. on the midi settings for aums midi channel, i can ser destinations for midi going into atom i think, right?

step polyarp and fugue machine are pretty straightforward with this, i guess im just blind? :'(

Atom only outputs on channel one at this time. That should be addressed soon. Until then, if you have mfxStrip you can insert that between Atom and your interface to do a channel remap.

• @RajahP said:
    Got a nice groove going with about 5 ATOM instances (drum, bass, chords, etc.)... The chords can trigger STA for some amazing sequences... and the amazing Blocs Wave to bring in the world.. I can get the Blocs Audio out for desktop but, we cannot get those midi data from ATOM out, as there is no midi export... So I am stuck with a nice project on the iPad but all those $300 VST instruments on desktop cannot get the midi ( well, without a series of things to get it out).

I guess this is my plug for Midi Export/Import, to make this great app even greater.. Thanks..

Can't your record the MIDI in Xequence or a DAW?

• @wim said:

@perestroika said:
    been searching the forum but cant seem to find it. how do i set the midi out channel with atom on aum?

Atom only outputs on channel one at this time. That should be addressed soon. Until then, if you have mfxStrip you can insert that between Atom and your interface to do a channel remap.

thanks for the reply man - hopefully this is looked soon as you mentioned.

• edited April 2019

I’m struggling to grab the right side of a note and stretch it. What am I missing?

• I am wondering am I the only one this app is not working right or opening or crashing for in AUM?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I am wondering am I the only one this app is not working right or opening or crashing for in AUM?

Definitely no crashing here.. solid as a rock..

Did you try rebooting or maybe reinstall?

• @tja said:

@RajahP said:
    Got a nice groove going with about 5 ATOM instances (drum, bass, chords, etc.)... The chords can trigger STA for some amazing sequences... and the amazing Blocs Wave to bring in the world.. I can get the Blocs Audio out for desktop but, we cannot get those midi data from ATOM out, as there is no midi export... So I am stuck with a nice project on the iPad but all those $300 VST instruments on desktop cannot get the midi ( well, without a series of things to get it out).

Can't your record the MIDI in Xequence or a DAW?

Got a solution... Thanks..

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I am wondering am I the only one this app is not working right or opening or crashing for in AUM?

If anything goes wrong, it'll show up in my developer dashboard as an anonymised crash report. I've been keeping an eye on this and it's been quiet (maybe too quiet!).

If you have any steps to reproduce the issue, let's chat via DM and I'll have a closer look.

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

If anything goes wrong, it'll show up in my developer dashboard as an anonymised crash report. I've been keeping an eye on this and it's been quiet (maybe too quiet!).

If I'm not miss-informed that does require that the end-user has enabled 'Share iPad Analytics' under 'Settings->Privacy' and also enabled 'Share With App Developers'.
    (This is an 'opt-out' so most user have it enabled by default but some are 'paranoid' and disable it thus making dev-live a nightmare since no crash-reports ever get sent out from the device).

• Cubase-style CYCLE record mode: this would be so awesome....
    Set a loop length, drop into record and jam on your keyboard until you hit the magic combo of right notes in the right places (at the right velocities). As soon as you disable record (or hit stop) the LAST PASS through the cycle is kept.
    Thank you!

• This is a great idea and a very nice app! I've been trying to use it with Cubasis and have noticed some issues:

1. random missing notes even though they are on the grid. As a test, I have 1/16th note hihats with a Cubasis drum machine and Atom sometimes does not play back one of the notes. It's usually the first note in the part, but sometimes can occur elsewhere
    2. Double notes.. When I record the output of Atom to a Cubasis track and open the part in the Cubasis note editor, there are double notes. For example, I'll get a row of 16th notes (as entered in Atom) overlaid with quarter notes for the bar. I then have to go and delete the quarter notes (that I never entered in Atom).

Other than that, I look forward to where this app is going!

• @RajahP said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Definitely no crashing here.. solid as a rock..

Did you try rebooting or maybe reinstall?

Going to reinstall

• I'm loving Atom as a workspace for developing and tweaking ideas on the fly in AUM. So thankful for this app!

I recently ran into a Atom crash situation that was my bad for overloading my AUM session with too many heavy hitting synths (Model D, I'm looking at you...). My sequence of events was to load up enough to just barely max the DSP, close AUM, then re-open AUM and use Restore Session. I know I closed and restored the session a few times, and eventually the 2 Atom instances crashed; I can recreate the specific setup if that would be helpful/useful.

This situation triggered a thought:
    If Atom cached a small number of recently accessed patterns and provided a way to recall them across instances, it could mitigate the impact of forgetting to save, and also help with "copying" between sessions.

I.e. if there was a way to load from the last 5-10 recent patterns when instantiating a new Atom AU, one could both recover lost work, or copy-over a recent pattern to a new instance (e.g. start with the chord progression and tweak it to a bass line or a melody)

I have no idea if this is feasible with the AU structure to store a sort of "globally accessible" repository of recent activity across separate host sessions...

• Hi. I havent ATOM yet.
    Can ATOM send midi CC per step/notes? Ala elektron?
    It is planned in a future update?

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Hkor said:
    Hi. I havent ATOM yet.
    Can ATOM send midi CC per step/notes? Ala elektron?

No.

It is planned in a future update?

Yes, I think.

• I’m getting crashing
    in AUM when I let it sit for awhile not doing anything. It’s like Atom “times out”. I lost a bit of work on this one since the piano rolls revert to the empty two bars you start with. Loading the project again gives you the last save

• @juanconcho said:
    I’m getting crashing
    in AUM when I let it sit for awhile not doing anything. It’s like Atom “times out”. I lost a bit of work on this one since the piano rolls revert to the empty two bars you start with. Loading the project again gives you the last save

Could it be the BlueTooth audio that times out and causes a chain-reaction, or maybe it's AUM that stops sending out 'clock' after it's been idle for too long?

Interesting observation though as I've not managed to make it crash yet...

• I'm getting the same, fairly regular Atom crashing from multiple instances where they all crash at once in AUM. Not sure if this is memory restrictions somehow ejecting the apps. Has nothing to do with if there's any midi in the Atom timelines though, they can be empty and unused.

No Atom logs might mean it's something AUM is doing?

@juanconcho said:
    I’m getting crashing

Could it be the BlueTooth audio that times out and causes a chain-reaction, or maybe it's AUM that stops sending out 'clock' after it's been idle for too long?

Interesting observation though as I've not managed to make it crash yet...

• I’ve also noticed this with Atom but I’ve seen it with other apps too and it’s not always predictable. If you are in a session and don’t constantly save and then real life interrupts and pulls you away, it is not uncommon to come back and find this. I don’t always like auto save in apps but I think it might be something to think about adding to Atom.

• I've been in conversation with Jonatan about AUM and he's considering adding in AUM the ability to reload an AU to the state saved in the session file (although it's a difficult thing to add). This would help in these situations, so you wouldn't need to reload the entire session.

Auto save in Atom would be a useful thing to have too :)

• Thanks for the report. I had another person telling me about such a crash, it seems to happen after letting things run unattended for a /very/ long time (half a day+ from the report).

I didn't manage to reproduce it locally yet, and I'm not getting any crash statistics in my dashboard at all, so if folks are willing to enable auto-sending these reports I'd appreciate it :)

• @blueveek said:
    Thanks for the report. I had another person telling me about such a crash, it seems to happen after letting things run unattended for a /very/ long time (half a day+ from the report).

I didn't manage to reproduce it locally yet, and I'm not getting any crash statistics in my dashboard at all, so if folks are willing to enable auto-sending these reports I'd appreciate it :)

It's happening much sooner than that for me, but yes seems unattended is when I notice it. They can be bypassed when it happens too.
    That's the thing, it's not making any Atom crash reports, so i'm wondering if it's somehow a ram thing, shutting them down...?