Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

1568101119

Comments

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys question: how do I insert an AUM channel set up I created for guitar in another AUM project into the current project I have going now with Atom?
    Thanks.

    This is only possible with current AUM beta.

  • Bummer man, I could have sworn I was able to do this but I guess not.
    Please release the beast. :#

    @Janosax said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys question: how do I insert an AUM channel set up I created for guitar in another AUM project into the current project I have going now with Atom?
    Thanks.

    This is only possible with current AUM beta.

  • @blueveek said:

    @reasOne said:
    A quick, pre work, ten minutes with my iPad jam session, then shared the project to my iPhone. I love the start stop sync but would love it if when I pressed stop it played the sequence to the end of the bar then stopped... Please!

    Yes, ideally clip triggering would be fully customisable:

    • Option for synced start or not,
    • Option for synced stop or not,
    • Option for specifying trigger quantum (not just fixed to loop length)
    • Option for decoupling AU transport from host transport

    The current implementation is rudimentary. And it'll grow to support more features based on all this feedback :)

    Check out Genome does it. Some good ideas/benchmarks there...

  • Just checking again because I may have missed it in the multiple threads we already have about Atom: is it currently recording all MIDI channels but only sending in channel 1?

  • edited April 10

    @blueveek I see there is already ton of feature requests so I feel a little guilty to ask for more, but I will give it a try :smile:

    • I was a bit confused about zooming by pinch gesture - am I missing something or is it always scaling in both dimensions - the height of the notes and the width of timeline? It’s a bit weird if you want to see the whole e.g. 16 bar loop that you see all 10 octaves and the notes are microscopic. I believe no one ever uses 10 octaves, but 16 bars are not really rare. I would expect to be able to zoom both vertically and horizontally independently. Good example is Xequence, which “locks” dimension to either horizontal or vertical, bad example is BM3 which tries to do both and it’s quirky.
    • Scrolling with both fingers is fine, but it’s a little non-comfortable gesture. What about allowing to scroll vertically by dragging the piano lane (anyway I don’t think there is much use of “sliding” over notes, you would use proper keyboard / keyboard AU for this) and horizontally by dragging over the timeline. I often use iPad holding in both hands supported by my chest while laying on couch :smiley: Then I only use both thumbs and in that case, two finger scroll is even more unnatural.

    But I have to say: you did great job! Already granted 5 star review :smile: And please, be careful about feature request and don’t get overwhelmed by them. Try to avoid stuff like “please add randomize / note generator / note filtering...” as this can be substituted by other MIDI AUs and recording back to Atom. No need to make this a coffemachine/harvestor/spaceship/everything type of app :smile:

  • @jipumarino said:
    Just checking again because I may have missed it in the multiple threads we already have about Atom: is it currently recording all MIDI channels but only sending in channel 1?

    That does appear to be the case.

  • @wim said:

    @jipumarino said:
    Just checking again because I may have missed it in the multiple threads we already have about Atom: is it currently recording all MIDI channels but only sending in channel 1?

    That does appear to be the case.

    Thanks, I hope that changes in a future update; I depend on it for hardware synths

  • Only 16 ratings in the AppStore.
    Seems like it should be way more, considering the chatter on this forum.

  • @CracklePot said:
    Only 16 ratings in the AppStore.
    Seems like it should be way more, considering the chatter on this forum.

    It's new, but possibly the majority of people prefer the convenience of working in their favorite DAW. Though it is currently #2 in sales, the popular DAWs have been near the top for a long time.

    And based on the number of feature and workflow requests in 3 different discussions of the same app, it looks like a matter of 'different strokes for different folks.' i.e.-people have different workflows, creative approaches, and preferences when it comes to making their own music. Some want simple, others want complex (with automation), others want 'in between' which could mean different things to different people. Must be tough for the developer. What an undertaking. It truly is 'epic'.

  • @ocelot said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Only 16 ratings in the AppStore.
    Seems like it should be way more, considering the chatter on this forum.

    It's new, but possibly the majority of people prefer the convenience of working in their favorite DAW. Though it is currently #2 in sales, the popular DAWs have been near the top for a long time.

    And based on the number of feature and workflow requests in 3 different discussions of the same app, it looks like a matter of 'different strokes for different folks.' i.e.-people have different workflows, creative approaches, and preferences when it comes to making their own music. Some want simple, others want complex (with automation), others want 'in between' which could mean different things to different people. Must be tough for the developer. What an undertaking. It truly is 'epic'.

    Yeah, you make some good points.
    Well, whatever you think of the app, the developer definitely deserves a 5-star rating.
    He is really great, and very engaged on this Forum.

  • @jipumarino said:

    @wim said:

    @jipumarino said:
    Just checking again because I may have missed it in the multiple threads we already have about Atom: is it currently recording all MIDI channels but only sending in channel 1?

    That does appear to be the case.

    Thanks, I hope that changes in a future update; I depend on it for hardware synths

    In the meantime, Photon does record and play back multiple channels. It’s a good compliment to Atom.

  • I am trying to find out if this allows for import from midi files. I use a python midi file writing library and would like to import the resulting midi files into something like this. I can't find anything about importing on the site or app description. Thanks for any help and apologies if its already been asked and answered.

  • @AppleHorizon said:
    I am trying to find out if this allows for import from midi files. I use a python midi file writing library and would like to import the resulting midi files into something like this. I can't find anything about importing on the site or app description. Thanks for any help and apologies if its already been asked and answered.

    There’s no midi import or export at this time.

  • wimwim
    edited April 10

    It’s possible to record the output from Photon (which does allow import) into Atom. It’s possible to record the output from Atom to Photon, and export it from there. It’s also possible to load Atom into most DAWs and record it’s midi output in them.

  • @wim said:

    @AppleHorizon said:
    I am trying to find out if this allows for import from midi files. I use a python midi file writing library and would like to import the resulting midi files into something like this. I can't find anything about importing on the site or app description. Thanks for any help and apologies if its already been asked and answered.

    There’s no midi import or export at this time.

    Just found this out after trying to import a file tonight. Would be handy, even if it was just pasting data from a clipboard.

  • wimwim
    edited April 10

    It just occurred to me that “Punch-in” and “Punch-out” points for recording could be nice as well. Playback would start normally. Recording would start at the punch-in point and stop at the punch-out point. If set to the start and end of the loop, it would effectively be a one-pass recording.

    Feature creep. I know. Just tossin’ it out there.

  • @skrat said:
    @blueveek I see there is already ton of feature requests so I feel a little guilty to ask for more, but I will give it a try :smile:

    • I was a bit confused about zooming by pinch gesture - am I missing something or is it always scaling in both dimensions - the height of the notes and the width of timeline? It’s a bit weird if you want to see the whole e.g. 16 bar loop that you see all 10 octaves and the notes are microscopic. I believe no one ever uses 10 octaves, but 16 bars are not really rare. I would expect to be able to zoom both vertically and horizontally independently. Good example is Xequence, which “locks” dimension to either horizontal or vertical, bad example is BM3 which tries to do both and it’s quirky.
    • Scrolling with both fingers is fine, but it’s a little non-comfortable gesture. What about allowing to scroll vertically by dragging the piano lane (anyway I don’t think there is much use of “sliding” over notes, you would use proper keyboard / keyboard AU for this) and horizontally by dragging over the timeline. I often use iPad holding in both hands supported by my chest while laying on couch :smiley: Then I only use both thumbs and in that case, two finger scroll is even more unnatural.

    But I have to say: you did great job! Already granted 5 star review :smile: And please, be careful about feature request and don’t get overwhelmed by them. Try to avoid stuff like “please add randomize / note generator / note filtering...” as this can be substituted by other MIDI AUs and recording back to Atom. No need to make this a coffemachine/harvestor/spaceship/everything type of app :smile:

    +1 especially for zooming vertically and horizontally independently. A « fold » notes feature could also be super cool!!!

  • @wim said:
    It’s possible to record the output from Photon (which does allow import) into Atom. It’s possible to record the output from Atom to Photon, and export it from there. It’s also possible to load Atom into most DAWs and record it’s midi output in them.

    This is an excellent point since they are AUv3's they can co-exist and cover a lot of bases for working with MIDI. It's like the coverage feature request/enhancements we get from AB3, AUM and ApeMatrix.

  • wimwim
    edited April 10

    I just tried this on a couple of midi files, and it worked well. When you assign the Photon midi buffer to a pad, it tells you how many bars long it is, so it’s easy to set up Atom. You want the pad to be set to “Start on Bar” and “# Loops” to 1 so you don’t get overlap in Atom. Turning the grid off in Atom to avoid quantization is a good idea as well. You can always quantize later if you like.

  • @reasOne
    Is that on an iPhone?

  • @CracklePot said:
    @reasOne
    Is that on an iPhone?

    Yea, xs max !

  • @reasOne said:

    @CracklePot said:
    @reasOne
    Is that on an iPhone?

    Yea, xs max !

    Damn, that’s a bummer. On the iPad those edit tools stay pinned to the bottom edge of the window, no matter the window size.

    Does this make editing impossible for you?

    I am sure blueveek is on the case. I would hope the iPhone issues will be solved pretty quickly. I think Samu might have already brought some missing tools to his attention.

  • @reasOne, in portrait mode you can grab that little bar in the lower right and drag it down far enough to see the edit tools

  • edited April 11

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    @blueveek said:

    @jonmoore said:

    @blueveek said:

    Limit is fairly arbitrary (I figured most songs are at most 40 bars in length).

    You don't listen to too much electronic music then, 40 bars are needed just for the intro! :)

    A lot of this stems from the fact that arrangers usually use multiple clips to sequence the entire track, not a single long one for everything. I've been hinting repeatedly at a clip launcher / track mode kind of AU, but that's not available yet so I understand the desire for longer clips right now.

    How's 1024 bars? For a 140bpm project, that results in a total duration of ~30 minutes.

    I'm curious. Will the clip launcher be a separate app ? Or part of the existing like how @brambos did it with his sequencer suite ?

    I haven't decided on what the best thing to do is yet, still experimenting. But I am aiming at backwards compatibility regardless.

  • @jipumarino said:

    @wim said:

    @jipumarino said:
    Just checking again because I may have missed it in the multiple threads we already have about Atom: is it currently recording all MIDI channels but only sending in channel 1?

    That does appear to be the case.

    Thanks, I hope that changes in a future update; I depend on it for hardware synths

    In the meantime, you can use my MIDI Tools: Clone and Filter audio unit to switch channels mid-flight. Receive from channel 1 and clone it to channel N. We're modular here, right? :)

    I do agree, however, that it would be nice not having an extra layer of indirection here. Modular is fun, and it's also tricky to balance granularity with convenience.

  • edited April 11

    @reasOne said:

    Just resize the window :)

    This is a 6s+.

  • @skrat said:
    @blueveek I see there is already ton of feature requests so I feel a little guilty to ask for more, but I will give it a try :smile:

    • Scrolling with both fingers is fine, but it’s a little non-comfortable gesture. What about allowing to scroll vertically by dragging the piano lane (anyway I don’t think there is much use of “sliding” over notes, you would use proper keyboard / keyboard AU for this) and horizontally by dragging over the timeline. I often use iPad holding in both hands supported by my chest while laying on couch :smiley: Then I only use both thumbs and in that case, two finger scroll is even more unnatural.

    You can already do that if you disable keyboard monitoring (speaker icon). Scroll in both directions with one finger by dragging the keyboard (axis biased of course).

  • @CracklePot said:

    @reasOne said:

    @CracklePot said:
    @reasOne
    Is that on an iPhone?

    Yea, xs max !

    Damn, that’s a bummer. On the iPad those edit tools stay pinned to the bottom edge of the window, no matter the window size.

    Does this make editing impossible for you?

    I am sure blueveek is on the case. I would hope the iPhone issues will be solved pretty quickly. I think Samu might have already brought some missing tools to his attention.

    @Bootsy said:
    @reasOne, in portrait mode you can grab that little bar in the lower right and drag it down far enough to see the edit tools

    @blueveek said:

    @reasOne said:

    Just resize the window :)

    This is a 6s+.

    Yea it HAS to be full screen to get to the edit tools which is ok I don't use my iPhone that much mostly iPad but I do prefer tha screen to be half window, scrolling down to the edit tools would be ideal but not crucial...i gave it 5 stars and a great review and I stand behind it ☺️

  • @reasOne said:

    Yea it HAS to be full screen to get to the edit tools which is ok I don't use my iPhone that much mostly iPad but I do prefer tha screen to be half window, scrolling down to the edit tools would be ideal but not crucial...i gave it 5 stars and a great review and I stand behind it ☺️

    Thanks for that! Regardless of your usage, I've spent a bit of time yesterday and improved the layout on small screen sizes. Hopefully this'll make yours and @Samu's life easier :) There's an expando-drawer now, so you can access all tools.

    Scheduling an update now to address this (and another few issues).

Sign In or Register to comment.