Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• edited April 2019

@McD said:
    If we're going OT to hardware I have some stories about "Rolling Pianos" into difficult places.
    "Piano Rolls"... OK. I didn't think so.

Oh dear, pianos... now I remember I also had a Technics SX-PX224 hooked up! If that counts as a synth, then that's 8) :wink:

I wonder if the AudioKit AUv3 software will get @SevenSystems into the MIDI FX market.
    He's got more ideas than time but you know he'd have a lot of back catalog to re-release as
    FX units.

Thanks for the ideas comment :) I'm not that interested in working with frameworks in general (I like to have total control over ALL code that runs under my name ;)), but I have the necessary code in place to deliver MIDI FX if "required" ;)

• @yowza said:
    If you have Midi Tools (also by @blueveek) you can use the Clone and Filter module to send midi from a piano roll to any midi channel.
    You have to set this up per piano roll so it would be less cumbersome to send directly from each piano roll.

Yes I am very patiently awaiting the ability to select MIDI out channels, and also the ability to turn off MIDI thru so that I don’t get double triggering. These are essential for use with hardware synths.

Oh and also CC recording!

• @HydraGen said:
    My main goal is to send those to the different synths not receive so much. I would like to have 8 channels of aum loaded with 8 instances of atom each sending to a different midi channel to each corresponding synth.

Its a bit of clutter, channel-wise, but is doable:

• edited April 2019

I have an issue with Atom in AUM and AB. When recording notes, sometimes they’re gated. This is only while recording, mostly with legato notes. Playback is ok. Anybody else?
    Mail sent @blueveek

• @Janosax said:
    I have an issue with Atom in AUM and AB. When recording notes, sometimes they’re gated. This is only while recording, mostly with legato notes. Playback is ok. Anybody else?
    Mail sent @blueveek

Maybe this is a MIDI thru issue. Are you sending MIDI notes directly to your instrument while playing from another place, in addition to ATOM, such as directly from your keyboard? This has happened to me with other sequencers and doubling of MIDI note data.

• @Janosax said:

Is quantize (grid snap) on?

• It happens to me even if I turn off snap; it happens when I use my external midi controller within AB. Will try with AUM.

• Hi there @blueveek hope you are doing well.thanks for Atom piano roll.i just purchased it and having fun in Cubasis.but I came across an issue and don’t know if it’s Atom related.
    Sometimes some notes don’t play.
    And when I use Atom with AudioLayer,I hear some pops now and then.
    And also,would be nice if we could zoom in and out on a desired sections instead of the whole piano roll going big and small.
    Oh last thing,don’t know if I’m missing something.is it possible to copy midi from one instance to another?
    Here is a video demo of the issues I encountered

• Is there a hidden transpose option in Atom?
    I seem to be able to transpose the clips when using a midi source but I can't seem to work it with my keyboard.
    Not sure what's happening here but I like the ability to transpose, maybe I'm missing how it works?

:)

• You can drag the midi clip up and down the piano roll and there is an octave transpose... but to transpose the actual audio from the triggered instrument, you will usually have to change the rate at which the sequencer is running, because it’s running at audio rate.

However, small changes to the instrument may alter the pitch of the audio it’s generating.

Can Atom parameters be controlled via midi?

• edited April 2019

@bcrichards said:
    You can drag the midi clip up and down the piano roll and there is an octave transpose... but to transpose the actual audio from the triggered instrument, you will usually have to change the rate at which the sequencer is running, because it’s running at audio rate.

However, small changes to the instrument may alter the pitch of the audio it’s generating.

Yeah but I'm able to transpose the Atom midi by sending midi to it from another sequencer, but I can't see how it's working as I can't do it via a midi keyboard, but I was transposing it triggered from Beathawk, so wondered if there's hidden feature there not documented yet :)

It might be on a certain midi channel it works not sure.

edit: ok it could be just the midi thru going to the receiving synth doing something in this case

• @Carnbot said:

@bcrichards said:
    You can drag the midi clip up and down the piano roll and there is an octave transpose... but to transpose the actual audio from the triggered instrument, you will usually have to change the rate at which the sequencer is running, because it’s running at audio rate.

Yeah but I'm able to transpose the Atom midi by sending midi to it from another sequencer, but I can't see how it's working as I can't do it via a midi keyboard, but I was transposing it triggered from Beathawk, so wondered if there's hidden feature there not documented yet :)

Are you wanting to be able to hear the midi transposed as you play it in in real time?

Pretty sure the transpose button in atom is just for transposing the midi that you have already recorded.

You would need to use a real-time midi AuV3 before Atom if you wanted to transpose in real time

• edited April 2019

@ricksteruk said:

@Carnbot said:

@bcrichards said:

Are you wanting to be able to hear the midi transposed as you play it in in real time?

Pretty sure the transpose button in atom is just for transposing the midi that you have already recorded.

You would need to use a real-time midi AuV3 before Atom if you wanted to transpose in real time

I was wanting to transpose the recorded midi in the Atom clip remotely (leaving the midi data as it is on the timeline)
    I thought this was what was happening but on second thoughts it might be because the receiving synths pitch was being automated instead as I looked at the midi data and it's the same so that's maybe what's happening.

I expect external transpose is on a future update list for Atom though, which would be nice.

• @Carnbot said:

@bcrichards said:

edit: ok it could be just the midi thru going to the receiving synth doing something in this case

thought I was in my own thread :open_mouth: sorry. I would also like to be able to transpose Atom and hope that more midi control is coming.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I receive my first iPhone today, have been iPad only up to now...this couldn't have arrived at a better time :)

Welcome to the world of iPhone Music Making! It's actually pretty enjoyable and convenient! :smiley:

• Great video here from TheAudioDabbler explaining non-destructive (per note) quantise settings in detail:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I receive my first iPhone today, have been iPad only up to now...this couldn't have arrived at a better time :)

Welcome to the world of iPhone Music Making! It's actually pretty enjoyable and convenient! :smiley:

Cheers, I'm guessing a lot of posts will make a lot more sense now....when I was on iPad only it was far too easy to forget that Phone versions of the apps are not always the same as the iPad versions :)

• Loving APR but I realized there's a weird thing where you can't easily change velocity of notes without first selecting the note. It means that change the velocity of every single note takes twice as long. I wanted to create a snare roll rise type thing and trying to edit the velocity to make a ramp of 24 snares hits was taking f'ing forever.

• @slicetwo said:
    Loving APR but I realized there's a weird thing where you can't easily change velocity of notes without first selecting the note. It means that change the velocity of every single note takes twice as long. I wanted to create a snare roll rise type thing and trying to edit the velocity to make a ramp of 24 snares hits was taking f'ing forever.

A 'draw/pen' too to edit velocities has to my knowledge been requested earlier in this thread so it'll come.
    Gadget suffers from the same issue, and Cubasis edits all velocities and doesn't respect the selection making it next to impossible to do velocity ramps on a selection when more notes are present in the sequence.

So yeah, we'll have to keep cool until @blueveek is back in action again :)

• How is the UI action for note velocity today? I just re-checked the launch videos, couldn't see anything there. And there is no manual? Is there a popup panel, or do you have to drag that line inside the note bar?

I haven't got APR yet, waiting for automation ... and Fugue Machine au serves simple midi loops well.

• @slicetwo said:
    Loving APR but I realized there's a weird thing where you can't easily change velocity of notes without first selecting the note. It means that change the velocity of every single note takes twice as long. I wanted to create a snare roll rise type thing and trying to edit the velocity to make a ramp of 24 snares hits was taking f'ing forever.

The velocity editing sure can do with an update..
    Will be nice to know what the next update feature list looks like..

Hopefully Midi import/export will be implemented..

Such a great app.. with so much potential.. already an iOS essential..

• @tk32 said:
    Great video here from TheAudioDabbler explaining non-destructive (per note) quantise settings in detail:

Nice video... but, what is the name of that instrument being played? Thanks..

• edited April 2019

@RajahP said:

It's Bismark BS-16i - An AUv3 instrument that can load sf2 soundfonts (which are effectively multi-sampled instruments)

It comes with a built-in soundfont that contains a mixture of orchestral and percussion sounds (trumpets, pianos, marimba, drums etc)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926?mt=8

• edited April 2019

Same boat, Midi channels would be super helpful. I thought this is an AUM issue but most/all MIDI FX allow you to choose the outbound channel. But Atom only outputs to channel 1. :( Right now, it requires MIDI tools to clone to different channels but that adds unnecessary AU.

• @nondes said:
    Same boat, Midi channels would be super helpful. I thought this is an AUM issue but most/all MIDI FX allow you to choose the outbound channel. But Atom only outputs to channel 1. :( Right now, it requires MIDI tools to clone to different channels but that adds unnecessary AU.

This is the first thing I'll fix for the next update :)

In other news, I'm back from my short-ish break. Wow there's been a lot of discussion going on. But looks like nothing blew up and nobody's house got set on fire, so that's always a good sign. Eager to catch up in more detail.

• Awesome, thanks @blueveek !

• @blueveek said:

@nondes said:

This is the first thing I'll fix for the next update :)

In other news, I'm back from my short-ish break. Wow there's been a lot of discussion going on. But looks like nothing blew up and nobody's house got set on fire, so that's always a good sign. Eager to catch up in more detail.

Thanks!

One question, I couldn't find a reference to this in the thread: are you considering having multiple clips in the same instance?

• edited April 2019

@tk32 said:

@RajahP said:

It's Bismark BS-16i - An AUv3 instrument that can load sf2 soundfonts (which are effectively multi-sampled instruments)

It comes with a built-in soundfont that contains a mixture of orchestral and percussion sounds (trumpets, pianos, marimba, drums etc)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926?mt=8

Thanks.. I have been looking for something like this...

Think my Extreme Sample Converter can do Sf2..

Great..

• @blueveek eager for the updates but this has been an indispensable tool since it dropped! Amazing work.

• @McD Rolling Pianos 😂
    Oh! I can put lots of quarks inside my Atom. Upquarks & downquarks.., and it sounds nuclear ☢️