Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• edited November 2018

@pagefall said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Looks interesting and I'll definitely be trying it out more later, but it doesn't fit on my screen on an iPhone 8. I'd have expected it to fit properly vertically but it doesn't (barely) and also to be able to either see it all in landscape or at least be able to scroll it horizontally in either orientation.

It's a fight between things being too small for those of us whose eyes aren't as good as they once were and tiny screens ;-)

I don't have an iPhone 8 to hand but I'll have a play in the simulator and see what I can manage

Thanks! It's just a few pixels difference vertically - the text labels of the bottom row are touching the AUv3 window frame. Horiztonally, I wonder if the note display could either be squeezed in so there's no scrolling (probably too much resizing) or expanded almost out of view (just a hint that it's there) and then the user can scroll over to bring that into view.

I also noticed that the dials are perhaps more challenging to use than they should be. Could they be made so that you can just touch and drag your finger up/down or left/right rather than having to be semi-circular? It's hard to see the values change below a knob when your hand or finger has to be in the way to move in a circular motion.

• had a bug reported using it in audiobus 3 - there was some debug code sending out some rouge messages. have deleted the bad line! talk about a stupid error.

I'll look into the cubasis thing and the knobs - I guess it's just the way I use them :-)

I'll try and submit an update for all this by tomorrow

iPhone 8 might be a separate update

• Really appreciate how you're listening - and acting on - feedback.

Totally understand there's higher priorities than making it look better on an iPhone :)

• So maybe I’m doing something wrong... how can I get it to loop seamlessly? It seems it plays through the sequence, but then there is a slight pause before it loops around again.

• The knobs work really well if you tap them and move your finger away and move along a bigger arc. Pretty accurate, no value jumping when you lift your finger.
    It may not be possible on a lil’ iPhone screen though.

• @Chaztrip said:
    So maybe I’m doing something wrong... how can I get it to loop seamlessly? It seems it plays through the sequence, but then there is a slight pause before it loops around again.

Are you using audiobus3? That’s the symptom of the rouge messages. Fix coming tomorrow

(On the other hand do you have the quantity turned down? That introduces rests)

• @pagefall said:

@Chaztrip said:
    So maybe I’m doing something wrong... how can I get it to loop seamlessly? It seems it plays through the sequence, but then there is a slight pause before it loops around again.

Are you using audiobus3? That’s the symptom of the rouge messages. Fix coming tomorrow

(On the other hand do you have the quantity turned down? That introduces rests)

No. Using AUM. Quantity is set to max.

• No. Using AUM. Quantity is set to max.

hmm odd - could still be the rouge messages - hopefully I'll get the update in tomorrow and have a look then

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo for Autony

Ok Doug, you did it. Now I need this. It looks like I'd be missing out on all the crazy fun. Ya bastage!!!
    Honestly, thanks for the vid.

• Can any of you music theorists explain what the chord button is doing to the sequences?

• @RJB said:
    Can any of you music theorists explain what the chord button is doing to the sequences?

Just a guess, but I think it masks the available notes. Usually you get the whole scale, but chord limits it to the chord tones (probably triads), which should be a subset of the scale based on the degree ( Roman numeral ).

• @RJB said:
    Can any of you music theorists explain what the chord button is doing to the sequences?

My take, which may be incorrect - when chord dial is set to minimum, only single notes are played (no chord). As the dial advances, you get two note, three note, four note (IV) chords, etc. all played within that scale.

• @pagefall
    Next app will be a simple looper - with a long potential buffer and frippertronic sound on sound capabilities with a "colour" knob that adds a bit of saturation and distortion to the repeats - idea will be for it to have simple controls, full midi control (including using notes to switch between loop and record etc so you can use the buttons on a launch control or similar to drive it)

Ohh ohhh! I love Frip stuff! Although i call it Frippercusson for obvious reasons. :wink:

Here's what you MUST do if you want to have a unique looper implementation...

Most loopers are a priori... That is, player has to make a decision that what they're ABOUT to play they want looped... However, very often when you're twiddling around you'll come up with a cool groove/jam and think, "damn that sounded cool! I wish I looped that!"

So you need to have a BACKWARD looking looper.

So I can jam, do a cool groove, then press a midi pedal that's bound to an AU control that will loop the PREVIOUS "x" bars...

Best case, allow multiple buttons for multiple lengths

So I could have a 4 pedal control (ABCD)
    A=1 beat
    B=4 Beats
    C=8 beats
    D=16 beats

Oh my god, something like this would be really unique.

There's soo many other loopers out there that all do essentially the same thing (Loopy, Quantiloop, etc.) and for SOS stuff, Bram's Kosmonaut is hard to beat...

I've tried to rig up something like this in iOS using multiple delays and bus switching in AUM, and I've never been able to get it to work really well... So you'd be my hero if you could give this some thought. :)

Just my $2.00 worth.

• @CracklePot said:

@RJB said:

Just a guess, but I think it masks the available notes. Usually you get the whole scale, but chord limits it to the chord tones (probably triads), which should be a subset of the scale based on the degree ( Roman numeral ).

Yea, it makes it more of an arpeggio I think. I think it's a chord-mask type thing.

• @pagefall said:

No. Using AUM. Quantity is set to max.

hmm odd - could still be the rouge messages - hopefully I'll get the update in tomorrow and have a look then

Well odd. Now it’s looping fine. Hmmmm. Ok. Sorry.

• @pagefell I’ve noticed some of the knobs are flickering or jumping around is that meant to happen ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @pagefell I’ve noticed some of the knobs are flickering or jumping around is that meant to happen ?

yeah - I think the knobs can be a bit odd depending on how people use them - you aren't the first to comment. - I'm going to have a look tomorrow - I've got a bug fix update coming. I might see if I can make the drag control linear rather than circular too based on feedback above

• Just picked it up. I love it! Very much in my wheelhouse. +1 on linear drag control. Track forthcoming.

• @pagefall said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @pagefell I’ve noticed some of the knobs are flickering or jumping around is that meant to happen ?

yeah - I think the knobs can be a bit odd depending on how people use them - you aren't the first to comment. - I'm going to have a look tomorrow - I've got a bug fix update coming. I might see if I can make the drag control linear rather than circular too based on feedback above

Ok thanks for taking the time to get back. Hope it’s a easy fix. You may have to make the app a effect and instrument for it to work inside Cubasis2. I know of another dev who has had to do that for a forthcoming midi app.

• @pagefell maybe explain what the Chord knob is doing to the sequence? Also, what about adding random to the Gate so all the notes aren’t the lsame ength. Thanks for all your efforts, really enjoying this.

• edited November 2018

Really fab app @pagefall but a bit difficult on an iPhone X as well, in AUM. The lower labels are cut off in landscape. Or only 4 dials wide in portrait. Don't really get to see the sequence on either. Despite that, enjoying it immensely!

• Seemed like I had an issue with stopping my host (aum) and not receiving a note off from Autony.

• I can’t select the note “E” with the Root knob. It jumps from Eb to F. Anyone else having this issue?

• @wim said:
    I can’t select the note “E” with the Root knob. It jumps from Eb to F. Anyone else having this issue?

Yup. Same here.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

Is there somewhere official to report bugs, or is this the best place?

• @wim said:
    Is there somewhere official to report bugs, or is this the best place?

@pagefall is the dev. They were on here earlier. Pretty responsive for a couple of other issues users had.

• The AU knobs are fiddly but everything else seems in good place. Will really give it a go later

• Whoa... it requires iOS 12? First time I’ve seem that.

• edited November 2018

@pagefall Awesome app! Obviously, based on my recent post about using Senode to generate chord progressions, etc I dig “random, but not too random” stuff and this is just about perfect!

I love that you put in the option to have gate lengths over 100%... mixing that with chord options is a great way to get cascading chords to send to an arp. That said, could you add option to go to like 400% for longer, more evolving stuff?

Also, it would be nice if when you have gate lengths greater than 100%, if it spits out the same note on the next step, to just tie... it seems to send a note off/on and causes synths to retrigger envelopes. At least it seems to be.

• I’m seeing odd midi velocities. What is supposed to control velocity? It’s sending midi velocity of zero even... here’s a screen shot from apeMatrix midi monitor