Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• @pagefall said:
    yeah - turns out classic 'off by one' fixed and I'm adding a control for the midi output channel as well - update will be in later or tomorrow

Any possibility in the future of having this as a midi filter for incoming midi? Or is that too difficult, not possible?
    That would be a neat addition to it's capability but I can see why it might be unfeasible.

• @Carnbot said:

@pagefall said:
    yeah - turns out classic 'off by one' fixed and I'm adding a control for the midi output channel as well - update will be in later or tomorrow

Any possibility in the future of having this as a midi filter for incoming midi? Or is that too difficult, not possible?
    That would be a neat addition to it's capability but I can see why it might be unfeasible.

I've thought about separating the quantiser out into a separate app - perhaps with a separate sequencer for the different controls like chord too (and expanding 'chord' to be a bit more sophisticated) - I'd probably bundle it with an app I use (but haven't released) that filters notes according to probability too. It'd like be a separate release (but cheaper since it's mostly code I've already written)

• Antony :) Unreliable has become my default tool now for working up sequences in AUM and now ApeMatrix. Really excellent. So I would be happy to buy further enhancements. The fiddly nature of the dials dulls the pleasure a little but otherwise I am really happy working with this.

• @Jocphone said:
    Antony :) Unreliable has become my default tool now for working up sequences in AUM and now ApeMatrix. Really excellent. So I would be happy to buy further enhancements. The fiddly nature of the dials dulls the pleasure a little but otherwise I am really happy working with this.

did the 1.1 update not improve that a bit?

• 1.2 update submitted - sequence length and midi output channel setting added - last bug fix update was approved within the day so fingers crossed.....

• @pagefall said:
    1.2 update submitted - sequence length and midi output channel setting added - last bug fix update was approved within the day so fingers crossed.....

Thanks for this!

• @pagefall said:
    I'd probably bundle it with an app I use (but haven't released) that filters notes according to probability too.

That sounds interesting.

• @pagefall said:

@Carnbot said:

@pagefall said:

I've thought about separating the quantiser out into a separate app - perhaps with a separate sequencer for the different controls like chord too (and expanding 'chord' to be a bit more sophisticated) - I'd probably bundle it with an app I use (but haven't released) that filters notes according to probability too. It'd like be a separate release (but cheaper since it's mostly code I've already written)

cool, yeah was thinking that, like a probability gate with a quantiser and chorder :)

• @Carnbot said:

@pagefall said:

@Carnbot said:

@pagefall said:

cool, yeah was thinking that, like a probability gate with a quantiser and chorder :)

Drooling here. @pagefall do it and make a little extra $$$. You've got some cool ideas that are hitting the market at just the right time.

• @pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:
    Antony :) Unreliable has become my default tool now for working up sequences in AUM and now ApeMatrix. Really excellent. So I would be happy to buy further enhancements. The fiddly nature of the dials dulls the pleasure a little but otherwise I am really happy working with this.

Actually it felt worse until I worked out that you were supposed to drag left and right rather than vertically :smile:

• @Jocphone said:

@pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:

Actually it felt worse until I worked out that you were supposed to drag left and right rather than vertically :smile:

argh can't please everyone - the fact they aren't rotary anymore now throws me every time I use it :-( (and I'm not making it an option - I hate things with too many controls)

I'm going to stick with the current scheme though, I suspect constantly fiddling with it will be more annoying - I might tweak the sensitivity perhaps

• @pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:

@pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:

argh can't please everyone - the fact they aren't rotary anymore now throws me every time I use it :-( (and I'm not making it an option - I hate things with too many controls)

I'm going to stick with the current scheme though, I suspect constantly fiddling with it will be more annoying - I might tweak the sensitivity perhaps

Oh I wasn't suggesting that you change it again. My issue was that there was no indication I was doing it wrong.

• @david_2017 said:
    Has anyone used this in an ambient, droney, downtempo context so far? Would love to hear (and see) that :)

@waynerowand Has :wink:

• @pagefall said:
    last bug fix update was approved within the day so fingers crossed.....

Today is Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. so there probably be a delay.

• Here's a problem, but it's not obvious where it lies. I bought apeMatrix yesterday and just happened to test with Autony. I realized I was seeing frequent pauses of several beats. The visualizer stops advancing, too. Quantity and reliability both set to 100. It seems to run through 3 or 4 notes then pause. I went back to AUM and didn't see pauses. It worked the same way with both Sunrizer and bs-16 as instruments. Can other folks confirm this? Any thoughts on a setting that might be responsible? I can't imagine that apeMatrix pauses every AU for seconds at a time, so it might be a bizarre interaction.

• that's weird - can you check with your device freshly rebooted and nothing running apart from AUM, Autony and a synth?

I know other people are running it with apeMatrix (as have I - not seen any issues)

does the synth still function when autony pauses? (ie can you generate notes)

I don't know apeMatrix in depth - can you midi control the transport or anything? could it be being paused automatically by something?

• Crap I forgot about this app, I was just debating between riffer and steppolyarp, now we gotta go and toss this in as an option lol

• Yes, I'm still seeing the problem after force-killing all apps and restarting. On iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1. apeMatrix continues to count off the beats, and I can continue to play notes during pauses using the AM keyboard. AM Midi Monitor clearly pauses.

• @pagefall said:
    I don't know apeMatrix in depth - can you midi control the transport or anything? could it be being paused automatically by something?

I'm brand new to it, but I tried disabling LFOs and other likely suspects. I may wind up kicking myself but at the moment this is baffling.

• @Newstech said:

@pagefall said:

I'm brand new to it, but I tried disabling LFOs and other likely suspects. I may wind up kicking myself but at the moment this is baffling.

I can confirm that I also was having this sync/pause glitchiness before. It seems to have gone away now, though. I thought maybe the update changed something and it got fixed, but I don’t know for sure.

Just letting you know...
    You ain’t crazy, man!
    B)

• @Newstech said:
    Here's a problem, but it's not obvious where it lies. I bought apeMatrix yesterday and just happened to test with Autony. I realized I was seeing frequent pauses of several beats. The visualizer stops advancing, too. Quantity and reliability both set to 100. It seems to run through 3 or 4 notes then pause. I went back to AUM and didn't see pauses. It worked the same way with both Sunrizer and bs-16 as instruments. Can other folks confirm this? Any thoughts on a setting that might be responsible? I can't imagine that apeMatrix pauses every AU for seconds at a time, so it might be a bizarre interaction.

This happens for to me using Apematrix with Riffer too, so I suspect the issue is with Apematrix timing implementation?

(In Riffer, if you set the pattern to ping/pong mode or infinite is switched on things go crazy jumping around/skipping)

Is iOS 11 compatibility coming for this one? <3

• edited November 2018

the timing did change in the 1.1 update - because the developer of AUM pointed out I was putting events out with incorrect timestamps which broke it when using the upcoming update to AUM which is far more strict about it & therefore if that is the issue I'm guessing apeMatrix needs to look at their timing -

http://devnotes.kymatica.com/ios_midi_timestamps

the last release was iOS 11.4 compatible as well

• @Jocphone said:

Do you have Steppolyarp and Riffer? Wondering if I need this as well.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Me too. I also wonder how all of them compare to Polyhymnia (IAP in Xequence). :)

• @hellquist said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Me too. I also wonder how all of them compare to Polyhymnia (IAP in Xequence). :)

It does seem to be getting a lot of love, and this track picked up my interest:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29821/autony-driven-tortured-tape#latest

• @MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Yes, lovely piece that.
    Weirdly for me, who normally pride myself in manually (sometimes painstakingly) spend an incredible amount of time doing every detail of my tunes myself, I have now found myself (surprisingly) going down paths with generative/automated solutions, or parts of a possible solution. To confuse myself even more I obviously got Gestrument Pro as well as iBassist today as well. I have a vision of tying it all together somehow, somewhere, where I've controlled all the parameters, but still end up with a song that has automated itself there, for all the parts. :)

• edited November 2018

Weirdly for me, who normally pride myself in manually (sometimes painstakingly) spend an incredible amount of time doing every detail of my tunes myself, I have now found myself (surprisingly) going down paths with generative/automated solutions, or parts of a possible solution.

For me - where I am coming from is that I like generative stuff to play against - time constraints (work/family/etc) as well as location don't give me much chance to play with other people and so I find that generative stuff, if interesting enough which is what I'm aiming for, gives me an element of the unexpected to react to when I'm playing/making music. (& that's not just software either - I use my modular in much the same way)

On the "which app" front I obviously can't comment since I am biased - but I would note that this question is a bit like - "which bass player, drummer, singer would I like to be working with?" each of us developers has taken different approaches - and it's a case of finding which one works for a given situation, style etc

• @pagefall said:

Weirdly for me, who normally pride myself in manually (sometimes painstakingly) spend an incredible amount of time doing every detail of my tunes myself, I have now found myself (surprisingly) going down paths with generative/automated solutions, or parts of a possible solution.

For me - where I am coming from is that I like generative stuff to play against - time constraints (work/family/etc) as well as location don't give me much chance to play with other people and so I find that generative stuff, if interesting enough which is what I'm aiming for, gives me an element of the unexpected to react to when I'm playing/making music. (& that's not just software either - I use my modular in much the same way)

On the "which app" front I obviously can't comment since I am biased - but I would note that this question is a bit like - "which bass player, drummer, singer would I like to be working with?" each of us developers has taken different approaches - and it's a case of finding which one works for a given situation, style etc

For that extremely sober reply I went and bought the app.
    Actually, for many in here, me included, I think we often end up getting ALL of the optional apps. We come here more for the discussion and the ideas, but in all actuality have most of the options, it is more of a "which one do I buy first?" kind of situation.

As for the composing part, I'm thinking the various generators possibly can give me what I had when I was in bands: a little bit of the unexpected that I hadn't thought of myself. I was always both faster and better when we were more people composing together, a situation I'm no longer in (for the same reasons you mention), and thus I'm probably trying to find routes around that, to increase my overall productivity. :)

But now I'm off to play with Autony. :)

• @hellquist said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Yes, lovely piece that.
    Weirdly for me, who normally pride myself in manually (sometimes painstakingly) spend an incredible amount of time doing every detail of my tunes myself, I have now found myself (surprisingly) going down paths with generative/automated solutions, or parts of a possible solution. To confuse myself even more I obviously got Gestrument Pro as well as iBassist today as well. I have a vision of tying it all together somehow, somewhere, where I've controlled all the parameters, but still end up with a song that has automated itself there, for all the parts. :)

I'm finding Riffer really good for this sort of thing - the results it produces are very usable, and with a few tweaks I'm on my way to making a track.

Be interesting to hear what you think of Autony, I might add it to the list too :)