Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• edited November 2018

So:

knobs - yes going to have a go at them today!
    Note Offs - will have a look
    Velocities - so the rouge messages I mentioned are from an LFO I had originally and decided to not include (because it was so useable with the Bram Bos one) - velocities fixed in the update & no rouge messages. Somehow I only took half the code out. D'oh!
    Cubasis - will look at settings to get it to appear in that as well

And yes - here is a great place to report bugs I'll keep checking this thread.

(BTW I'm in the UK and go offline fairly early but am a relatively early riser)

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I’m seeing odd midi velocities. What is supposed to control velocity? It’s sending midi velocity of zero even... here’s a screen shot from apeMatrix midi monitor

It looks as if those notes with velocity 0 are Note Off messages @MonkeyDrummer

• The velocity zero notes are probably skipped notes caused by values lower tha 100% on the quantity knob. I would like to know if ther is a way to tame the velocity fluctuations though. They are more extreme than I’d like for most things.

• @wim said:
    The velocity zero notes are probably skipped notes caused by values lower tha 100% on the quantity knob. I would like to know if ther is a way to tame the velocity fluctuations though. They are more extreme than I’d like for most things.

they are going to go completely in the next update - see my comment above.

I do wonder if I should add in the ability to control via an LFO?

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

I would just like to see a knob for velocity variation percent, or a setting for max / min velocity or something to tame the velocity fluctuations a bit. It’s good to have the “unreliable” velocity variation, just maybe not so much or so sudden sometimes.

BTW mentioning the problem with selecting root note E above ... just in case you missed it. 👍

• BTW mentioning the problem with selecting root note E above ... just in case you missed it. 👍

Yeah - that's the whole 'knob' thing - this is the problem with developers testing their own stuff - you have patterns of behaviour and things outside that don't get tried :-( - going to have a good look all that stuff shortly

• Splendid, Doug’s vid sold it to me.

• Not showing up in Audiobus AudioUnits for me.

Is there a dance I have to perform?

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@Jocphone, Are you adding it as a midi input (not FX) on the midi page?

• edited November 2018

Cubasis, Sequencism - being detected as a midi effect - now working!
    Velocity, Audiobus oddness - sorted

just fixing knobs and I'll submit a new update.... I can see why I hadn't spotted this - the way I use them they work really well but I have my finger quite far out from the centre of the knob. Making the gesture linear anyway

the missing "E"! - I clearly don't know how the alphabet goes...

• @wim said:
    @Jocphone, Are you adding it as a midi input (not FX) on the midi page?

Hmm, that was on my iPad this morning straight after I installed. I just looked on my phone and it is showing up so maybe I just need to restart my iPad later..

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo for Autony

Very cool beans, indeed. Couldn't help but notice DRC AUv3 in your list...

• Haven't bought yet but will over the weekend when I return home after travels. Great to see @pagefall so active here to support this creative app. Quick question though: does the app only respond to incremental root note values? Or can the root be set from an incoming MIDI note being played by a controller?

• Ironically the app proved unpredictable and wouldn't' work to drive apps when I tried.

Phsphorous and Reslice.

• Ok - new version submitted with fixes mentioned

"Phsphorous and Reslice." - don't know these apps - please can you give me a bit more detail on the host app and what you are doing?

• Tried just tried with Phosphor and Reslice and couldn't see any issues so far for me.

• Having UI issues on iPhone 7+ as well - can’t set it up to see the full sequence display.

Despite the UI issue this is awesome!

• @ohwell said:
    Having UI issues on iPhone 7+ as well - can’t set it up to see the full sequence display.

Despite the UI issue this is awesome!

Yeah - planning to tackle phone UI next week

thank you for your kind comment!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Haven't bought yet but will over the weekend when I return home after travels. Great to see @pagefall so active here to support this creative app. Quick question though: does the app only respond to incremental root note values? Or can the root be set from an incoming MIDI note being played by a controller?

@pagefall wondering if you can illuminate me on the MIDI controls?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Haven't bought yet but will over the weekend when I return home after travels. Great to see @pagefall so active here to support this creative app. Quick question though: does the app only respond to incremental root note values? Or can the root be set from an incoming MIDI note being played by a controller?

it doesn't respond to incoming midi notes - that might be quite nice though! will consider for a future update

• @pagefall said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

it doesn't respond to incoming midi notes - that might be quite nice though! will consider for a future update

It would be super duper cool if I could use a keyboard controller to control the root!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@pagefall said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It would be super duper cool if I could use a keyboard controller to control the root!

+1! I also would like that, thanks :)

• Just me, or is this still not showing in the UK app store?

• @MarkH said:
    Just me, or is this still not showing in the UK app store?

might be the version of iOS you are running? the new version should be iOs 11.4 compatible - but no idea if that's going to work just yet (still getting the hang of the whole app submission workflow )

• @pagefall said:

@MarkH said:
    Just me, or is this still not showing in the UK app store?

might be the version of iOS you are running? the new version should be iOs 11.4 compatible - but no idea if that's going to work just yet (still getting the hang of the whole app submission workflow )

Yes, I'm still on 11.4. I suppose it's time to accept that upgrade nag!

• @Jocphone said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    I’m seeing odd midi velocities. What is supposed to control velocity? It’s sending midi velocity of zero even... here’s a screen shot from apeMatrix midi monitor

It looks as if those notes with velocity 0 are Note Off messages @MonkeyDrummer

Yea, in that shot it looks like that’s the case. But it did send some zero note ons. Even the vel=11 stuff is pretty wacked.

I found the zero vel because it sounded like it was dropping notes even at 100% reliable

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@pagefall said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

You can control the root with midi cc’s. If you have MidiFlow you could map keys to cc values that way. Streambyter would work as well.

There’s also the chord knob, which is cool because you stay in key with the changes rather than jumping around between keys.

I will probably do up a streambyter script once the missing “E” note is fixed. I’m thinking cc to note mappings might change to make that happen.

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@pagefall said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

You can control the root with midi cc’s. If you have MidiFlow you could map keys to cc values that way. Streambyter would work as well.

There’s also the chord knob, which is cool because you stay in key with the changes rather than jumping around between keys.

I will probably do up a streambyter script once the missing “E” note is fixed. I’m thinking cc to note mappings might change to make that happen.

Great idea, hadn't thought of that. I do have MidiFire and StreamByter so will give that a go. If you set up the script, share here or on the Audeonic forum? If I get there before you, I'll do the same.

• edited November 2018

Love the idea of the app, but not very impressed with the sequences it generates. The recent Riffer or Polyhymnia in Xequence generate consistently useable sequences, with the former excellent at making a quick jam, and the latter great at creating a longer, thematic (even polyphonic) sequence.