Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autony Unreliable Sequence Generator from Pagefell.

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:
    Love the idea of the app, but not very impressed with the sequences it generates. The recent Riffer or Polyhymnia in Xequence generate consistently useable sequences, with the former excellent at making a quick jam, and the latter great at creating a longer, thematic (even polyphonic) sequence.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I like Polyhymnia, but it ends up being a bit to hard to tame without a lot of tweaking, and doesn't evolve at all. I also like the ability to programatically change the Chord and Root Key.

I love 'em both, but feel like I'll be getting more use out of Autony.

• Has anyone used this in an ambient, droney, downtempo context so far? Would love to hear (and see) that :)

• @david_2017 said:
    Has anyone used this in an ambient, droney, downtempo context so far? Would love to hear (and see) that :)

not yet - will try later. you can set a low "tempo" and can extend the random pattern out way past 16, or even 32, so you could probably easily use it. I did use it with my SE-02 on a "pad" sound with a slower attack and it still sounded interesting.

• I'm sorry for what feels like a dumb question, but I've looked everywhere (including this thread) and didn't see an answer. How can you change the output channel? It only seems to output to channel 2 and I'd like to change the channels per-instance (to trigger hardware synths). Thanks!

• @CalCutta said:
    I'm sorry for what feels like a dumb question, but I've looked everywhere (including this thread) and didn't see an answer. How can you change the output channel? It only seems to output to channel 2 and I'd like to change the channels per-instance (to trigger hardware synths). Thanks!

Wouldn't you use AB3 or AUM or a DAW to map and route the MIDI? But, no, I don't see a way to choose a different MIDI channel in the AUv3, but it's a hosted AUv3, so the host should?

• @david_2017 said:
    Has anyone used this in an ambient, droney, downtempo context so far? Would love to hear (and see) that :)

I don't make ambient (on my to do list to try!), but I set up the Model D app to trigger once every other bar, set Gate Length >100% in Autony, set Sequence Length to 64 (max). I went with "Mysterious Wind" in Model D and... it was pretty.

• edited November 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:
    I'm sorry for what feels like a dumb question, but I've looked everywhere (including this thread) and didn't see an answer. How can you change the output channel? It only seems to output to channel 2 and I'd like to change the channels per-instance (to trigger hardware synths). Thanks!

Wouldn't you use AB3 or AUM or a DAW to map and route the MIDI? But, no, I don't see a way to choose a different MIDI channel in the AUv3, but it's a hosted AUv3, so the host should?

That option is not available in either AUM or ApeMatrix. You can set the input channel via-host, but neither host nor the app have the ability to change the output channel, or I'm not seeing it (for instance, with Rozeta, it's always an option to change the output channel within the AU itself).

• There are so many chord/arp apps out there and they all fall short in one way or another. I wish someone would just port Cthulu to iOS and be done with it...

• @CalCutta said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

That option is not available in either AUM or ApeMatrix. You can set the input channel via-host, but neither host nor the app have the ability to change the output channel, or I'm not seeing it (for instance, with Rozeta, it's always an option to change the output channel within the AU itself).

You're of course totally right. I guess I never try to send MIDI from my phone to more than one external device. I don't see a way in AB3, either. You might be able to do it with some other MIDI routing app on iOS if nothing else... maybe midimux? Hmm. Now I'm curious and will watch to see if someone more knowledgeable than I (not hard!) gives you answer :smile:

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

You're of course totally right. I guess I never try to send MIDI from my phone to more than one external device. I don't see a way in AB3, either. You might be able to do it with some other MIDI routing app on iOS if nothing else... maybe midimux? Hmm. Now I'm curious and will watch to see if someone more knowledgeable than I (not hard!) gives you answer :smile:

MidiFire, Midiflow, or StreamByter can all accomplish this task and more.

• @InfoCheck said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

From what I can tell, Midiflow does no AU stuff (I use a huge Midiflow preset for all my USB-MIDI stuff to route into the rest of my environment, there's a lot). I guess StreamByter could do it but that seems like a lot of workaround. I know it's early days so let me just cut to the chase, I hope an upcoming version lets you change the channel in the AU itself. :smile:

• edited November 2018

@CalCutta said:

@InfoCheck said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

@CalCutta said:

From what I can tell, Midiflow does no AU stuff (I use a huge Midiflow preset for all my USB-MIDI stuff to route into the rest of my environment, there's a lot). I guess StreamByter could do it but that seems like a lot of workaround. I know it's early days so let me just cut to the chase, I hope an upcoming version lets you change the channel in the AU itself. :smile:

You can send MIDI out from an AU host (e.g. AUM) to Midiflow or MidiFire, change the MIDI channel to what you want and send the MIDI output back to your AU host app and route it to the AU app of your choice. The MF Channels app can do it hosted from within AUM or Audiobus 3. I’m listing these options for those who want more flexibility.

• Yeah that should work, thanks!

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

You could send one Autony instance into StreamByter AU running this simple script

#remap all channels to channel 1
    XX = X0

and then to the external output. To remap to channel 4 use XX = X3, or to 12 needs XX=XB, 15 would be XX=XF. Last number (in hex) always one less than the destination channel.

Compared with MidiFow/MidiFire this solution stays in the „Au only“ realm and everything is saved in the hosts session.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@david_2017 said:

I don't make ambient (on my to do list to try!), but I set up the Model D app to trigger once every other bar, set Gate Length >100% in Autony, set Sequence Length to 64 (max). I went with "Mysterious Wind" in Model D and... it was pretty.

Thanks mate! Sounding interesting!
    I am on the fence on this app, should be fun, but I am curious to hear some of these ambient examples.

• Love it. Instant gratification app. Look forward to the fixes and so glad to see the dev here.

• Bug fix release is out. Should be iOS 11.4 now too

I’m going to make some demo videos in different styles. I largely make Ambient stuff myself so it’s quite good for that (hence 4 bar clock divider & more than 100% gate) the last bit of the current demo video was a kind of Eno ish

• edited November 2018

Oops duplicate

• Nice update! Thanks @pagefall

• @pagefall Thank you. You be rockin’.
    :)

• @david_2017 said:

Because you made me curious, I made my first ambient track. Ha! It included 4 instances of Autony. It's in the November Song of the Month post.

I will say: yes, it most definitely works well for ambient. Extremely well. And it pairs well with other MIDI tools (e.g., Quantichord).

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    @david_2017 said:

Because you made me curious, I made my first ambient track. Ha! It included 4 instances of Autony. It's in the November Song of the Month post.

I will say: yes, it most definitely works well for ambient. Extremely well. And it pairs well with other MIDI tools (e.g., Quantichord).

I had a pretty good ambient jam going with 3 instances of Autony going through 3 instances of Midi Echo. The slow clock speeds are great.

• edited November 2018

I’m confused. I have to set Autony to 7 Seq Len to get an 8 note pattern. 8 steps gets me a 9 note pattern. Tried setting 4 step Seq Len, and I’m hearing 5 notes in the pattern. Obviously, it doesn’t sync up right.

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/7f/x9bskqfome00.png

This is on an iPad mini 4, iOS 12.1 in both current versions of AUM and Cubasis. No hardware attached. Any thoughts?

• edited November 2018

I have a screen capture I’ll attempt to post.

• @overorange said:
    I’m confused. I have to set Autony to 7 Seq Len to get an 8 note pattern. 8 steps gets me a 9 note pattern. Tried setting 4 step Seq Len, and I’m hearing 5 notes in the pattern. Obviously, it doesn’t sync up right.

This is exactly my experience. IPad 2017, iOS 12.1

• hmm - sounds like a bug - will investigate!

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

Also happens on iPad Pro 10.5/IOS 12.1 - i thought that ‚off-by-one-error’ is part of the Unreliability :)

• yeah - turns out classic 'off by one' fixed and I'm adding a control for the midi output channel as well - update will be in later or tomorrow

• Same here (iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1).

On a semi-related point, the current-note "highlight" seems to always be one note behind the note playing - like @-ki I thought this was probably part of the unreliability vibe. Maybe it was, in this case, obviously it has much less impact than how many notes there are in a sequence...