Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

Comments

• @biggir said:
    Hello, does anyone know how to activate sendCC in version auV3 (in AUM midi output ok send CC ko )? it works in standalone version :-(
    Thanks !
    Olivier

If I remember correctly: this is the way it is - no CC out in AU, only IAA

• edited April 2023

Can anyone help me?

I am using GR-16 as an AUv3, and I've saved the unique AU Init patch, now I want to save this patch (Using Shift+Write, "Save to New") into one of the User banks but i keep getting the message "No free user patterns!" even though I have whole banks that are free

How can I transfer this saved AU Init patch into the main GR-16 bank architecture?

EDIT: the penny dropped the moment I posted the question....I can do this by copying the whole pattern and pasting it in a free bank. Silly me!

• is there a way to set gr16 to switch patterns immediately without waiting for the current pattern to finish playing?

i’ve just re–read the manual but can‘t find the relevant info

i‘m running gr16 as an AUv3 in AUM and am sending Program Change messages to switch patterns, but they‘re sent at the start of the bar and it makes the phrasing wonky as the current gr16 pattern needs to play out before switching to the new one. ideally i’d like it to switch instantly

• @drewinnit said:
    i‘m running gr16 as an AUv3 in AUM and am sending Program Change messages to switch patterns, but they‘re sent at the start of the bar and it makes the phrasing wonky as the current gr16 pattern needs to play out before switching to the new one. ideally i’d like it to switch instantly

Not an option, unfortunately. You have to send the PC messages early.

• @wim i feared as much, thanks for confirming!

• A bit of a difficult question: is it possible to use the Gr16 as a sequencer for PC? Let me explain better: I open 16 instruments on Cubase where each one is on a different midi channel (from 1 to 16), would it be possible then Use gr16 on every single channel?

• @dav30383 said:
    A bit of a difficult question: is it possible to use the Gr16 as a sequencer for PC? Let me explain better: I open 16 instruments on Cubase where each one is on a different midi channel (from 1 to 16), would it be possible then Use gr16 on every single channel?

Yeah you can do that. You need to turn on midi output in GR-16’s settings. Each part will then send on its own channel. Part 1: channel 1, part 2: channel 2 etc.

You can also send the knobs values by turning on ‘send midi cc’ in the settings.

• @FordTimeLord said:

@dav30383 said:
    A bit of a difficult question: is it possible to use the Gr16 as a sequencer for PC? Let me explain better: I open 16 instruments on Cubase where each one is on a different midi channel (from 1 to 16), would it be possible then Use gr16 on every single channel?

Yeah you can do that. You need to turn on midi output in GR-16’s settings. Each part will then send on its own channel. Part 1: channel 1, part 2: channel 2 etc.

You can also send the knobs values by turning on ‘send midi cc’ in the settings.

I tried, but it doesn't work on PC using Midi Over Wifi (rtpMidi), it only "plays" channel 1 on all 16 iPads. If instead I use the GR16 for example with Korg Gadget inside the iPad it works. Isn't there any other way to make better use of MIDI between the iPad and the PC?

• @dav30383 said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@dav30383 said:

I tried, but it doesn't work on PC using Midi Over Wifi (rtpMidi), it only "plays" channel 1 on all 16 iPads. If instead I use the GR16 for example with Korg Gadget inside the iPad it works. Isn't there any other way to make better use of MIDI between the iPad and the PC?

I can’t really help any further than that. I’m on Mac and it works fine using IDAM or Bluetooth. Must be something to do with connecting to a PC but I can’t help there 🤷‍♂️

• @dav30383 said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@dav30383 said:

are you sure that you have the midi over wifi setup correctly and have you checked with a midi monitor on your pc to see what is being received? an app sending midi out its virtual out port knows nothing about the receiver.

are you sending from the standalone or the AU?

you can use a midi monitor on your iPad to confirm that the midi is correct. that might be a place to start.

• @espiegel123 said:

@dav30383 said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@dav30383 said:

are you sure that you have the midi over wifi setup correctly and have you checked with a midi monitor on your pc to see what is being received? an app sending midi out its virtual out port knows nothing about the receiver.

you can use a midi monitor on your iPad to confirm that the midi is correct. that might be a place to start.

I use Cubase, on midi channel 1 I put a VST, and on midi channel 2 I put another Vst, when I play pad 1 of the gr16 (which should be midi channel 1) it plays both the vst and the vst 2, so the midi arrives in Cubase, but it's as if only channel 1 passes. There are no settings on RTP MIDI unfortunately, isn't there an alternative for Windows?

• @dav30383 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@dav30383 said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@dav30383 said:

I use Cubase, on midi channel 1 I put a VST, and on midi channel 2 I put another Vst, when I play pad 1 of the gr16 (which should be midi channel 1) it plays both the vst and the vst 2, so the midi arrives in Cubase, but it's as if only channel 1 passes. There are no settings on RTP MIDI unfortunately, isn't there an alternative for Windows?

There must be a midi monitor that you can run on your pc to see what MIDI is being received.

Also, on your iPad send midi from Grooverider to the midimonitir to confirm that GR-16 is sending each track on its own channel.

• ok, using a midi monitor, the pads communicate perfectly from 1 to 16, so where am I wrong on Cubase? ugh!

• @dav30383 said:

ok, using a midi monitor, the pads communicate perfectly from 1 to 16, so where am I wrong on Cubase? ugh!

You probably need to set each track to only listen to one channel. My guess is that Cubase defaults to Omni when you route midi.

• ah, but maybe there is a more suitable DAW for what I want to do? Basically I want to use the GR16 sequencer to drive the various VSTs (1 for each midi channel). Maybe I dream too much?

• edited February 2

@dav30383 said:
    ah, but maybe there is a more suitable DAW for what I want to do? Basically I want to use the GR16 sequencer to drive the various VSTs (1 for each midi channel). Maybe I dream too much?

On iOS?
    Loopy pro, Drambo, AUM, ...
    Korg Gadget also works great with its many instruments, although it cannot host AUv3.

• @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:
    ah, but maybe there is a more suitable DAW for what I want to do? Basically I want to use the GR16 sequencer to drive the various VSTs (1 for each midi channel). Maybe I dream too much?

On iOS?
    Loopy pro, Drambo, AUM, ...
    Korg Gadget also works great with its many instruments, although it cannot host AUv3.

maybe you don't quite understand what I want to do, let me explain better (for example): I open FL Studio, I put 16 VSTs (one for each channel), I program the VSTs from the GR16 sequencer, is it clear now

• @dav30383 said:

It is probably a matter of setting it up once correctly in your DAW. On each track, set it to listen to only one midi channel.

Typically, a VST is going to pay attention to all the midi it receives. So, you need to set that app. That will be true of most DAWs.

• edited February 2

@dav30383 Indeed I missed the "PC" part 😉
    See the FLS forum:
    https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=273984

• :-D I've been using Fl Studio for 20 years and I've never seen this installation, ah, it actually works, but I noticed that the midi clock isn't stable :-( I think midi over wifi is really bullshit

• I'm trying it, but when I go to choose the midi channel it's grayed out and not selectable, why?

• @dav30383 said:
    I'm trying it, but when I go to choose the midi channel it's grayed out and not selectable, why?

Ok I solved it, but the problem of the unstable and dirty midi clock still remains, too bad it could have been a good idea to use the GR16 semi-live with FL Studio

• Another question, but would it be possible to use the AKAI mini MK3 to map the pads of the GR16? So you can use the AKAI pads to play with mute-sync more easily

• That incredible JUMP button… amazing.. just wish it went back into sync on release (automatically), and you did not have to deactivate the JUMP button again to sync…

• @dav30383 said:

@dav30383 said:
    I'm trying it, but when I go to choose the midi channel it's grayed out and not selectable, why?

Ok I solved it, but the problem of the unstable and dirty midi clock still remains, too bad it could have been a good idea to use the GR16 semi-live with FL Studio

GR16 is rock solid with MIDI clock, amongst the best on iOS.
    Try Bluetooth MIDI instead. WiFi for MIDI clock is a no-go.

• a> @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:

@dav30383 said:

h> @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:

@dav30383 said:

very interesting but what do you need to have midi via bluetooth? I'm on a Windows PC. Thank you

• edited February 4

@dav30383 said:
    a> @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:

@dav30383 said:

h> @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:

@dav30383 said:

very interesting but what do you need to have midi via bluetooth? I'm on a Windows PC. Thank you

Oh. Windows is stubbornly hard to get a reliable BT MIDIconnection with.
    I'm using the old micro size CME WIDI bud with Yamaha MD-BT01 dongles to sync with a Windows tablet with my hardware gear, but I as far as I remember the CME dongle wasn't able to connect to an iOS BT MIDI advertiser.

What you can do though is use a wired USB MIDI interface on the Windows machine and plug in BT MIDI dongles there.

• Ah, another question since I see you are prepared, but it is possible to use the GR16 inside FL Studio Mobile

• @dav30383 said:
    Ah, another question since I see you are prepared, but it is possible to use the GR16 inside FL Studio Mobile

You might be looking for something like the iConnectivity Audio4c which would let you send MIDI from FLS to GR16 and route audio from GR16 into FLS.
    Which would also solve the recording problem so you'll end up with all audio tracks in FLS.

• @rs2000 said:

@dav30383 said:
    Ah, another question since I see you are prepared, but it is possible to use the GR16 inside FL Studio Mobile

You might be looking for something like the iConnectivity Audio4c which would let you send MIDI from FLS to GR16 and route audio from GR16 into FLS.
    Which would also solve the recording problem so you'll end up with all audio tracks in FLS.

Ah but I meant the FL Studio Mobile app on the iPad