Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

13»

Comments

• @lovadamusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:
    does groove rider have individual outs?

No, but it does individual stem exports.

And Midi output....

I wonder what this Dev is cooking up for us... Been pretty quiet.

Yeah curious to see what he’s working on lately too.

To be honest if he just made a gr-16 mk2 with built-in sampling & resampling, AU instrument/fx hosting, some op-z style step components, an expandable piano roll view for editing, an extra LFO/Env & Save/load drumkits I think he’d be on to a massive winner....

The core of this app is really great already. Would be a real shame if he didn’t make a mk2.

What say you @jimpavloff :)

I doubt this will happen. AudioShare import to the current pad works well (including sampling and processing in AudioShare), parameter locks are quite straightforward, each part can talk to a different synth hosted in apeMatrix etc. and drumkits can be imported as one sliced file, occupying only one part.
    The piano roll would require a considerable re-write of the sequencer code in order to provide what people expect from a piano roll today.

Yeah, I think this gets filed under easier said than done.

GR-16 is the first groove box thing I've ever used, and I love it. Still a noob, and look forward to this thread being about tips and tricks.

Almost everything is ‘easier said than done’ ;) Thankfully a lot of people don’t let that put them off...

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Op-z Step components are very different to Parameter locks...

I have no idea what they do exactly. I've only seen this table:

Do you know the Step "Stroke" parameter in GR-16?

• @rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    Op-z Step components are very different to Parameter locks...

I have no idea what they do exactly. I've only seen this table:

Do you know the Step "Stroke" parameter in GR-16?

I could be wrong. Or maybe there are just various subjective interpretations of the terminology to some extent. But I always think of ‘hold step + tweak parameter value’ when I think of parameter locks. Whereas my impression of op-z step components is something different, but yeah, more akin to the ‘stroke’ implementation in gr16. Little tricks you can throw on to steps. But I guess it’s all the same kind of stuff really :)

• I use Xequence + GR-16 when I feel like I need a piano roll. Works great, and if I do want to get what I do in Xequence into patterns (or vice versa) its dead simple. The only thing I could wish for is multiple Audiobus/IAA outputs. But that’s not a complaint. GR-16 is as close to perfect as I expect from any app.

• @EyeOhEss The OP-Z sequencer seems to follow a similar concept as SugarBytes Thesys, right?

• @rs2000 said:
    @EyeOhEss The OP-Z sequencer seems to follow a similar concept as SugarBytes Thesys, right?

Haven’t used Thesys (or an Op-z) so cant say really.... I think some of the step components are maybe kinda similar to some of the Quantum sequencer features though? Like the step skipping/shuffling/backwards type stuff? Maybe someone with a Z and knowledge of those apps can wise us up ;)

• @EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

To be honest if he just made a gr-16 mk2 with built-in sampling & resampling, AU instrument/fx hosting, some op-z style step components, an expandable piano roll view for editing, an extra LFO/Env & Save/load drumkits I think he’d be on to a massive winner....

The core of this app is really great already. Would be a real shame if he didn’t make a mk2.

I doubt this will happen. AudioShare import to the current pad works well (including sampling and processing in AudioShare), parameter locks are quite straightforward, each part can talk to a different synth hosted in apeMatrix etc. and drumkits can be imported as one sliced file, occupying only one part.
    The piano roll would require a considerable re-write of the sequencer code in order to provide what people expect from a piano roll today.

GR-16 is the first groove box thing I've ever used, and I love it. Still a noob, and look forward to this thread being about tips and tricks.

Almost everything is ‘easier said than done’ ;) Thankfully a lot of people don’t let that put them off...

It's a lot to ask from the dev, but who knows...?

Do you program? You sound like the committed type who could get it done - the groove box app that breaks new ground on iOS, and at a great price for the consumer. If so, thanks in advance. ;)

• @lovadamusic said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@panthera said:

And Midi output....

It's a lot to ask from the dev, but who knows...?

Do you program? You sound like the committed type who could get it done - the groove box app that breaks new ground on iOS, and at a great price for the consumer. If so, thanks in advance. ;)

Im pretty sure Gr16 isn’t the last groovebox type app we’ll see from @jimpavloff ;)

• live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

• Thesys as a GR sequencer

@eross said:
    live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

Just do it! Each part has its own MIDI channel.
    Make sure you enable "Midi in" from the right source and Mode=Poly in [Menu] > Settings.

• hahaha i’m so dumb. i thought this thread was for groove”box”.... not Groove”rider”
    my bad. grooverider is super easy to send midi too. if anybody know how to get midi in groovebox. that would be great. lol > @rs2000 said:

Thesys as a GR sequencer

@eross said:
    live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

Just do it! Each part has its own MIDI channel.
    Make sure you enable "Midi in" from the right source and Mode=Poly in [Menu] > Settings.

• Is there any way to:

• re-order the presets in a bank
    • delete a preset

The reason I ask about deleting a preset is that if you choose "Init Pattern" to delete a pattern, GR-16 doesn't treat that slot as an empty slot. So, if you Save To New , GR-16 treats that slot you used Init Pattern on as if if it were a pattern and it skips over it.

• Not that I know of, but you can hit copy, go to another pattern slot, then paste entire pattern. Unfortunately you need to manually name the pattern, and of course, it’s one-by-one. A way to save to a selected pattern slot would be very welcome.

• @wim said:
    Not that I know of, but you can hit copy, go to another pattern slot, then paste entire pattern. Unfortunately you need to manually name the pattern, and of course, it’s one-by-one. A way to save to a selected pattern slot would be very welcome.

That's what I was a afraid. The problem is that know that I have a couple of 'holes' I can't use Save To New Pattern without exacerbating he situation. Oh well. I'll work around it.