Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

1356

Comments

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Op-z Step components are very different to Parameter locks...
    ...

    I have no idea what they do exactly. I've only seen this table:

    Do you know the Step "Stroke" parameter in GR-16?

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I use Xequence + GR-16 when I feel like I need a piano roll. Works great, and if I do want to get what I do in Xequence into patterns (or vice versa) its dead simple. The only thing I could wish for is multiple Audiobus/IAA outputs. But that’s not a complaint. GR-16 is as close to perfect as I expect from any app.

  • @EyeOhEss The OP-Z sequencer seems to follow a similar concept as SugarBytes Thesys, right?

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

    @lovadamusic said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @EyeOhEss said:

    @RajahP said:

    @wim said:

    @panthera said:
    does groove rider have individual outs?

    No, but it does individual stem exports.

    And Midi output....

    I wonder what this Dev is cooking up for us... Been pretty quiet.

    Yeah curious to see what he’s working on lately too.

    To be honest if he just made a gr-16 mk2 with built-in sampling & resampling, AU instrument/fx hosting, some op-z style step components, an expandable piano roll view for editing, an extra LFO/Env & Save/load drumkits I think he’d be on to a massive winner....

    The core of this app is really great already. Would be a real shame if he didn’t make a mk2.

    What say you @jimpavloff :)

    I doubt this will happen. AudioShare import to the current pad works well (including sampling and processing in AudioShare), parameter locks are quite straightforward, each part can talk to a different synth hosted in apeMatrix etc. and drumkits can be imported as one sliced file, occupying only one part.
    The piano roll would require a considerable re-write of the sequencer code in order to provide what people expect from a piano roll today.

    Yeah, I think this gets filed under easier said than done.

    GR-16 is the first groove box thing I've ever used, and I love it. Still a noob, and look forward to this thread being about tips and tricks.

    Almost everything is ‘easier said than done’ ;) Thankfully a lot of people don’t let that put them off...

    It's a lot to ask from the dev, but who knows...?

    Do you program? You sound like the committed type who could get it done - the groove box app that breaks new ground on iOS, and at a great price for the consumer. If so, thanks in advance. ;)

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

  • Thesys as a GR sequencer

    @eross said:
    live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

    Just do it! Each part has its own MIDI channel.
    Make sure you enable "Midi in" from the right source and Mode=Poly in [Menu] > Settings.

  • hahaha i’m so dumb. i thought this thread was for groove”box”.... not Groove”rider”
    my bad. grooverider is super easy to send midi too. if anybody know how to get midi in groovebox. that would be great. lol > @rs2000 said:

    Thesys as a GR sequencer

    @eross said:
    live the sounds in this app. is there any way to send midi into it?

    Just do it! Each part has its own MIDI channel.
    Make sure you enable "Midi in" from the right source and Mode=Poly in [Menu] > Settings.

  • Is there any way to:

    • re-order the presets in a bank
    • delete a preset

    The reason I ask about deleting a preset is that if you choose "Init Pattern" to delete a pattern, GR-16 doesn't treat that slot as an empty slot. So, if you Save To New , GR-16 treats that slot you used Init Pattern on as if if it were a pattern and it skips over it.

  • Not that I know of, but you can hit copy, go to another pattern slot, then paste entire pattern. Unfortunately you need to manually name the pattern, and of course, it’s one-by-one. A way to save to a selected pattern slot would be very welcome.

  • @wim said:
    Not that I know of, but you can hit copy, go to another pattern slot, then paste entire pattern. Unfortunately you need to manually name the pattern, and of course, it’s one-by-one. A way to save to a selected pattern slot would be very welcome.

    That's what I was a afraid. The problem is that know that I have a couple of 'holes' I can't use Save To New Pattern without exacerbating he situation. Oh well. I'll work around it.

  • Jim, I beg of you, please, why do you withhold from me my sanity? My simian limbs flale faithfully and mash the mute mode and make for me awesome dubstep skrillex, but my perfectly timed mutings and unmutings were not recorded by the red record button? This is best groovebox ever devised so probably my miss the button? Please advise?

  • @audiorangutan said:
    Jim, I beg of you, please, why do you withhold from me my sanity? My simian limbs flale faithfully and mash the mute mode and make for me awesome dubstep skrillex, but my perfectly timed mutings and unmutings were not recorded by the red record button? This is best groovebox ever devised so probably my miss the button? Please advise?

    Wow! So have you ever had a dream that changed your life? Like I had a vivid dream in my early 20s that convinced me to stop using pirated audio and video software; similarly, this dream last night was of simian me trudging through a desert, thirsty looking for an oasis, when comes zooming overhead, JIM HIMSELF, looking over the edge of his airship, and he shouts loudly over the whirlwind of its anti-gravity motor, “YES, you did exactly miss the button! It’s NOT the MUTE, but the ERASE button next to it that you seek for your SUBTRACTIVE SEQUENCING EXCITEMENT”. With sand flying in every direction stinging my yellow eyes as his voice dopplered out of earshot following his rocketing hovercraft, I just barely heard JIM proclaim something more, sounded like, “and NEVER complain about an app in its own Tips-And-Tricks-Megathread!”
    Wow, so I was literally like “whaaa...”
    Isn’t that bananas you guys?

  • @audiorangutan said:

    @audiorangutan said:
    Jim, I beg of you, please, why do you withhold from me my sanity? My simian limbs flale faithfully and mash the mute mode and make for me awesome dubstep skrillex, but my perfectly timed mutings and unmutings were not recorded by the red record button? This is best groovebox ever devised so probably my miss the button? Please advise?

    Wow! So have you ever had a dream that changed your life? Like I had a vivid dream in my early 20s that convinced me to stop using pirated audio and video software; similarly, this dream last night was of simian me trudging through a desert, thirsty looking for an oasis, when comes zooming overhead, JIM HIMSELF, looking over the edge of his airship, and he shouts loudly over the whirlwind of its anti-gravity motor, “YES, you did exactly miss the button! It’s NOT the MUTE, but the ERASE button next to it that you seek for your SUBTRACTIVE SEQUENCING EXCITEMENT”. With sand flying in every direction stinging my yellow eyes as his voice dopplered out of earshot following his rocketing hovercraft, I just barely heard JIM proclaim something more, sounded like, “and NEVER complain about an app in its own Tips-And-Tricks-Megathread!”
    Wow, so I was literally like “whaaa...”
    Isn’t that bananas you guys?

    You're right!
    And hit UNDO to un-mute :+1:

  • Hi guys, simple q. I just purchased AB3 hoping I could state save with GR16 but it doesn’t to recall mixer etc ?

    Does GR not have state save coded ? Cheers ;-)

  • wimwim
    edited September 2019

    @topaz said:
    Hi guys, simple q. I just purchased AB3 hoping I could state save with GR16 but it doesn’t to recall mixer etc ?

    Does GR not have state save coded ? Cheers ;-)

    Unfortunately, no doesn’t have state save implemented.

    You can tell when you’re adding an app whether it does or not.

    You can also check the Compatible Apps page before buying to avoid surprises after the fact.

    I make it a habit to save GR patterns with the same name as the AB session to make getting back to work easier.

  • Trump, brexit bum. :-( cheers for the info dude :-)

    @wim said:

    Unfortunately, no doesn’t have state save implemented.

  • edited October 2019

    Just discovered a nifty trick to get two one-shot samples per track — Using Twisted Wave audio editor to quickly prepare samples — add a reversed sample at the end of the normal one (reverse is at the very bottom of Twisted’s menu list) .. just be sure to include enough silence in the middle between the two opposing one-shots/drum hits.

    Import prepared sample into GR-16 and in the sequence editor, via “edit step: stroke” (second option from bottom right on the edit screen) turn knob all the way to the left to select “reverse” on steps you want the second sound to play..

  • I’m just now diving deeper into this wonderful app. (iOS 13 broke my prior go-to groovebox, Electribe Wave - which isn’t so unfortunate, now that I’m finding out how much more powerful Gr-16 is.

    Has anyone tried resampling 4 or 8 bars into Enso via AUM, then importing the loop back into GR? Going to start experimenting with that and perhaps recording external synths via midi — just wondering if Enso might be the best option to “freeze down’ and free up tracks in GR, hoping it’ll be in sync.

  • edited October 2019

    @Eschatone said:
    Just discovered a nifty trick to get two one-shot samples per track — Using Twisted Wave audio editor to quickly prepare samples — add a reversed sample at the end of the normal one (reverse is at the very bottom of Twisted’s menu list) .. just be sure to include enough silence in the middle between the two opposing one-shots/drum hits.

    Import prepared sample into GR-16 and in the sequence editor, via “edit step: stroke” (second option from bottom right on the edit screen) turn knob all the way to the left to select “reverse” on steps you want the second sound to play..

    You want even more?
    16 samples per track?
    Throw up to 16 samples into one wave file, load them on a track, slice them and (ab)use them. P-locks like different pitches on each step still work.

    @Eschatone said:
    I’m just now diving deeper into this wonderful app. (iOS 13 broke my prior go-to groovebox, Electribe Wave - which isn’t so unfortunate, now that I’m finding out how much more powerful Gr-16 is.

    It is. Electribe Wave has a different workflow and could make you write different songs, also it's more usable on a small iPhone screen. But so is Nanostudio 2 ;)

    Has anyone tried resampling 4 or 8 bars into Enso via AUM, then importing the loop back into GR? Going to start experimenting with that and perhaps recording external synths via midi — just wondering if Enso might be the best option to “freeze down’ and free up tracks in GR, hoping it’ll be in sync.

    No but I've tried that without AUM, just using Loopy HD, works well!
    Make sure Loopy sends MIDI clock to Groove Rider.
    Also make sure you fine-adjust the MIDI clock offset in GR16 to make the recorded loop start and end exactly at the beat/bar boundaries (on my iPad, setting it to -34ms makes it match perfectly).
    Loopy has a Share function that you get to by tap-holding on the center of a loop, in order to use the loop back in GR.

  • @rs2000 said:

    @Eschatone said:
    Just discovered a nifty trick to get two one-shot samples per track — Using Twisted Wave audio editor to quickly prepare samples — add a reversed sample at the end of the normal one (reverse is at the very bottom of Twisted’s menu list) .. just be sure to include enough silence in the middle between the two opposing one-shots/drum hits.

    Import prepared sample into GR-16 and in the sequence editor, via “edit step: stroke” (second option from bottom right on the edit screen) turn knob all the way to the left to select “reverse” on steps you want the second sound to play..

    You want even more?
    16 samples per track?
    Throw up to 16 samples into one wave file, load them on a track, slice them and (ab)use them. P-locks like different pitches on each step still work.

    Awesome! I didn’t even realize, even though “slice” button was staring me in the face all along. Does it auto-detect transients or is it best to position samples at regular intervals in the .wav?

    @Eschatone said:
    I’m just now diving deeper into this wonderful app. (iOS 13 broke my prior go-to groovebox, Electribe Wave - which isn’t so unfortunate, now that I’m finding out how much more powerful Gr-16 is.

    It is. Electribe Wave has a different workflow and could make you write different songs, also it's more usable on a small iPhone screen. But so is Nanostudio 2 ;)

    These different apps certainly have an impact on creative direction, which I mainly attributed to the type of sounds immediately accessible—though workflow differences do contribute. One thing is certain, I rarely find myself stuck with writers block in grooveboxes as often as I do in front of an empty desktop DAW project. (Limitation breedeth music babies ;))

    I somewhat prefer Gadget to NS2 for that reason - I’ve so many plugins now that NS2 can quickly bring on option paralysis unless I already have a solid idea going in. I may have to work on building a custom sample library in Obsidian to narrow the focus a little.

    Has anyone tried resampling 4 or 8 bars into Enso via AUM, then importing the loop back into GR? Going to start experimenting with that and perhaps recording external synths via midi — just wondering if Enso might be the best option to “freeze down’ and free up tracks in GR, hoping it’ll be in sync.

    No but I've tried that without AUM, just using Loopy HD, works well!
    Make sure Loopy sends MIDI clock to Groove Rider.
    Also make sure you fine-adjust the MIDI clock offset in GR16 to make the recorded loop start and end exactly at the beat/bar boundaries (on my iPad, setting it to -34ms makes it match perfectly).
    Loopy has a Share function that you get to by tap-holding on the center of a loop, in order to use the loop back in GR.

    thanks for the tips :) I haven’t used it much yet since I started focusing on AUV3, but loopy seems to have more than enough capability under the surface, with thorough midi support. I might have to try making a Maschine controller profile for it and GR.

  • @Eschatone said:
    Awesome! I didn’t even realize, even though “slice” button was staring me in the face all along. Does it auto-detect transients or is it best to position samples at regular intervals in the .wav?

    No, you're slicing manually. Hit the slice button twice and drag downwards on the waveform display to zoom in, upwards to zoom out.
    The quickest way I've found to slice goes like this:
    Zoom out, hit each pad and adjust its start (and end, if you really want) position roughly.
    Then zoom in, hit each pad and fine-adjust the start positions for each pad by ear and by means of tap-dragging the shift button downwards. This will lock fine-tune mode so you don't have to hold shift all the time.
    With a bit of practice that's quite fast anyway.

    (Limitation breedeth music babies ;))

    I cannot explain why but yes, there must be something liberating going on with limitations :smiley:

    I somewhat prefer Gadget to NS2 for that reason - I’ve so many plugins now that NS2 can quickly bring on option paralysis unless I already have a solid idea going in.

    Me too! Feature-wise, NS2 should be the best but I'm also much more productive with Gadget and a few of its IAP instruments.

    I may have to work on building a custom sample library in Obsidian to narrow the focus a little.

    Or build a sample library using Stockholm in Gadget, like I did ;)

    thanks for the tips :)

    You're welcome :+1:

  • @rs2000 said:

    @Eschatone said:
    Awesome! I didn’t even realize, even though “slice” button was staring me in the face all along. Does it auto-detect transients or is it best to position samples at regular intervals in the .wav?

    No, you're slicing manually. Hit the slice button twice and drag downwards on the waveform display to zoom in, upwards to zoom out.
    The quickest way I've found to slice goes like this:
    Zoom out, hit each pad and adjust its start (and end, if you really want) position roughly.
    Then zoom in, hit each pad and fine-adjust the start positions for each pad by ear and by means of tap-dragging the shift button downwards. This will lock fine-tune mode so you don't have to hold shift all the time.
    With a bit of practice that's quite fast anyway.

    First attempt just now was lot quicker than I imagined. Even more so than Maschine or even Deluge, though I haven’t spent a lot of time with the slice and dice style in any environment yet. Certainly a fun way to remix your own loops :)

    “there must be something liberating going on with limitations :smiley:

    Definitely! It’ll take me years before I master something with the scope of an Ableton ...but put me in a focused playground like Gadget and there’s no intimidation or anything else in the way of creative flow. it’s also hella fun to find workarounds and push/abuse these apps beyond their standard intended use cases. It’s partly why I feel like Elektron gear is calling me — Digitakt , or something deeper like Machinedrum UW seem ripe for finding unique, personally tailored workflows.

  • I thought I read somewhere that GR-16 is supposed to go Auv3.. I also read somewhere that no further development is expected for this iOS gem...
    Well, I can only imagine having GR-16 recording as an AuMidiFx.. just imagine what you can do to a ‘BassLine’ with its PLock features.. and it Groove Quantize, and it’s Arp, midi out.. so much this Instrument has to offer.. and still more can be implemented..

    The Groove Quantize breaths LIFE into a sequence..

  • @RajahP said:
    I thought I read somewhere that GR-16 is supposed to go Auv3.. I also read somewhere that no further development is expected for this iOS gem...
    Well, I can only imagine having GR-16 recording as an AuMidiFx.. just imagine what you can do to a ‘BassLine’ with its PLock features.. and it Groove Quantize, and it’s Arp, midi out.. so much this Instrument has to offer.. and still more can be implemented..

    You can already use IAA to either use GR's own sequencer and connect the audio to your DAW, or also route MIDI to GR and use your DAW sequencer to compose. For me that's all I need.

  • edited October 2019

    @rs2000 said:

    @RajahP said:
    I thought I read somewhere that GR-16 is supposed to go Auv3.. I also read somewhere that no further development is expected for this iOS gem...
    Well, I can only imagine having GR-16 recording as an AuMidiFx.. just imagine what you can do to a ‘BassLine’ with its PLock features.. and it Groove Quantize, and it’s Arp, midi out.. so much this Instrument has to offer.. and still more can be implemented..

    You can already use IAA to either use GR's own sequencer and connect the audio to your DAW, or also route MIDI to GR and use your DAW sequencer to compose. For me that's all I need.

    That’s what I am trying now... but it’s a pain in the behind setting it up and controlling.. Seems it would be more productive having multiple instances in the midi channels (AUM).. where you can add other AuMidiFx (scaler,etc) like a breeze.. State saving etc..

    Edit.. mainly the midi out from GR-16..

  • @RajahP said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @RajahP said:
    I thought I read somewhere that GR-16 is supposed to go Auv3.. I also read somewhere that no further development is expected for this iOS gem...
    Well, I can only imagine having GR-16 recording as an AuMidiFx.. just imagine what you can do to a ‘BassLine’ with its PLock features.. and it Groove Quantize, and it’s Arp, midi out.. so much this Instrument has to offer.. and still more can be implemented..

    You can already use IAA to either use GR's own sequencer and connect the audio to your DAW, or also route MIDI to GR and use your DAW sequencer to compose. For me that's all I need.

    That’s what I am trying now... but it’s a pain in the behind setting it up and controlling.. Seems it would be more productive having multiple instances in the midi channels (AUM).. where you can add other AuMidiFx (scaler,etc) like a breeze.. State saving etc..

    Edit.. mainly the midi out from GR-16..

    I don't exactly get what you're trying to do ... you can route MIDI both from and to GR-16, no matter if it's a sequencer, an IAA or an AuMidiFx.
    Also, one instance of GR already provides 16 MIDI channels with 16 different instruments, isn't that enough? ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.