Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

Comments

• thanks everyone ^^^^^
    that’s good news 😎 i figured it was mostly based on the user not the app but some apps synths just aren’t that versatile so i was curious! i mean i’ve been able to use korg gadget miami a couple times but it’s by no means the ambient synth of the year hehe

• The only two issues I've run into for slow/ambient stuff with GR-16:

1. Notes can't extend more than the length of a pattern before retriggering.
    2. Chords can't have different lengths / velocities for the notes in them.

Neither is a show stopper, but rather, just things that aren't a perfect fit.

• @wim said:
    The only two issues I've run into for slow/ambient stuff with GR-16:

ahh man that’s my problem with digi keys the fact you can’t go beyond the 16 length. i actually uninstalled it as it appears he isn’t going to change it. atom and drambo replaced it

thanks for the info it’s still a maybe but that’s def helpful info

• @reasOne said:

@wim said:

ahh man that’s my problem with digi keys the fact you can’t go beyond the 16 length. i actually uninstalled it as it appears he isn’t going to change it. atom and drambo replaced it

GR-16 is better than DigiKeys in that respect, in that you can extend a notes for the whole pattern (max 8 bars), not just 16 steps. So, at slow tempos that can be more than you need.

The second one is more serious. If you record a chord, and let up on notes at different times in the chord, the playback won't sound the same as what you played since all the notes will end up having the same length and velocity.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

@wim said:

GR-16 is better than DigiKeys in that respect, in that you can extend a notes for the whole pattern (max 8 bars), not just 16 steps. So, at slow tempos that can be more than you need.

The second one is more serious. If you record a chord, and let up on notes at different times in the chord, the playback won't sound the same as what you played since all the notes will end up having the same length and velocity.

ahh ok i misinterpreted the first part that’s totally enough space to get it going.
    that’s a bit of a bummer on chords but i’m mostly a mono guy so it might work for me...
    aka i suck at chords 🤣🤣

• edited October 2020

well i picked this thing up. def a great groovebox! i have an electribe that i’ve never really got on with and this is kinda helping me understand that better...worth the price alone!
    but this thing loaded into aum next to a gadget instance and there’s so much potential for long sequenced tracks with a bunch or variations..
    both gr16 and gadget sound great with blackhole 😎

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

@reasOne said:
    well i picked this thing up. def a great groovebox! i have an electribe that i’ve never really got on with and this is kinda helping me understand that better...worth the price alone!
    but this thing loaded into aum next to a gadget instance and there’s so much potential for long sequenced tracks with a bunch or variations..
    both gr16 and gadget sound great with blackhole 😎

Works great with Xequence 2 also. I like jamming out the ideas in GR, then dumping the midi over to X2 for arranging. Best of both worlds.

• edited October 2020

I don’t have an electribe or a digitakt. Am i right in saying that this app has alot of the features of the digitakt?
    I was investigating the digitakt to purchase it but then i got back into the grooverider app and it has so many features the digitakt has.
    I’ve been high on the grooverider app since then.

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    I don’t have an electribe or a digitakt. Am i right in saying that this app has alot of the features of the digitakt?
    I was investigating the digitakt to purchase it but then i got back into the grooverider app and it has so many features the digitakt has.

There's a lot of similariy between the two.
    Pro Digitakt: Can sample in the box, deep midi control of external gear incl. NRPN, insane modulation matrix, HARDWARE.
    Pro GR16: 16 polyphonic sample and synth tracks (Digitakt only has 8 monophonic sample (!) and 8 polyphonic MIDI tracks), fun Wavetable synth, many effects per track plus additional master effects, XY pad for realtime FX control, proper MIDI note editor ( practically nonexistent in the DT), nice choice of natural instruments, proper slicing (each track can have up to 16 slices and up to 4 slices can be played simultaneously on the same track), Pad Chords mode, Ableton Live export, Ableton Link support, sync to IAA apps that otherwise have no MIDI connectivity, memory only limited by your iOS device...

• Oh, I forgot GR-16 can export .als files. Nice! Thanks.

• @rs2000 said:

@Elvisthenrodent said:

There's a lot of similariy between the two.
    Pro Digitakt: Can sample in the box, deep midi control of external gear incl. NRPN, insane modulation matrix, HARDWARE.
    Pro GR16: 16 polyphonic sample and synth tracks (Digitakt only has 8 monophonic sample (!) and 8 polyphonic MIDI tracks), fun Wavetable synth, many effects per track plus additional master effects, XY pad for realtime FX control, proper MIDI note editor ( practically nonexistent in the DT), nice choice of natural instruments, proper slicing (each track can have up to 16 slices and up to 4 slices can be played simultaneously on the same track), Pad Chords mode, Ableton Live export, Ableton Link support, sync to IAA apps that otherwise have no MIDI connectivity, memory only limited by your iOS device...

I was really set on buying the digitakt, but since i only have a circuit and one of the big pro’s of the digitakt is the use with external harware it is hard to spend that amount of cash.
    Digitakt seems less immediate to jam then the gr app.

Maybe i will save up and buy the analog rhytm.

• Gr 16 is the best on ios if u want professional results before mastering.😎 Jim u rock (i’m from the 80’s)...

• @wim said:

Oh. Mine are so much more refined with the ever so tasteful “-“. YYYY-MM-DD just adds a certain ...

As long as you don't call that glyph "minus", it's my wavelength.

;)

• New member here. Made an account to ask this question: Is there a way to set filter keytracking? It’s the only thing that keeps GR from being a perfect electribe replacement.

• @frotus said:
    New member here. Made an account to ask this question: Is there a way to set filter keytracking? It’s the only thing that keeps GR from being a perfect electribe replacement.

No but there are two ways to automate filter cutoff. Either turn the cutoff knob live while recording or use p-locks on individual steps.

• On my em1, filter tracking is always on at 100%. It would be easy to add this as a toggle setting in the part settings. Maybe 0%, 50%, or 100% as options.

• edited July 2021

I’m learning to use GrooveRider-16 and I’m finding a lot of answers to the things I encounter here. Thank you all for that.

At the moment I’m running against the following and I wonder if you can help me out:

Is it so that the AU version of GR-16 doesn’t have the settings menu (next to the mixer button) as the IAA version? And that it (AU) doesn’t react to

• Can anyone recommend a dedicated controller for GrooveRider?

• @prtr_jan said:
    I’m learning to use GrooveRider-16 and I’m finding a lot of answers to the things I encounter here. Thank you all for that.

At the moment I’m running against the following and I wonder if you can help me out:

Is it so that the AU version of GR-16 doesn’t have the settings menu (next to the mixer button) as the IAA version? And that it (AU) doesn’t react to

Dunno if you're still using Groove Rider 😉 but the AUv3 version does read the settings you've adjusted in the standalone, as far as applicable.

@slowmotionblues The best controller I've found is the iPad surface. If all you want is a hardware mixer box, the Novation Launch Control XL Mk2 is nice but it only gives you 8 channels and neither endless knobs nor motorized faders so you can only realistically control 8 of the 16 channels. Attaching two KORG Nanokontrols via USB hub might be the cheapest option to access all 16 mixer channels.

• @rs2000 said:

@prtr_jan said:

Dunno if you're still using Groove Rider 😉 but the AUv3 version does read the settings you've adjusted in the standalone, as far as applicable.

@slowmotionblues The best controller I've found is the iPad surface. If all you want is a hardware mixer box, the Novation Launch Control XL Mk2 is nice but it only gives you 8 channels and neither endless knobs nor motorized faders so you can only realistically control 8 of the 16 channels. Attaching two KORG Nanokontrols via USB hub might be the cheapest option to access all 16 mixer channels.

Still am and found out. :) thanks!

• Is anyone here using the Launchpad Pro MK3 as a controller for GR-16?

• @Sequencer1 said:
    Oh, I forgot GR-16 can export .als files. Nice! Thanks.

Me too. That's such good news!

• @Billewis said:
    Is anyone here using the Launchpad Pro MK3 as a controller for GR-16?

I'm interested to know this too. Or if not, what?

• @rs2000 said:

@prtr_jan said:

Now that's interesting about the surface. It makes sense. I've been considering a NanoKontrol Studio, and wondering how that might work with GR-16.

• edited February 2023

@andowrites said:

@Billewis said:

I have been considering this for a while too
    The Pro Mk3 costs a lot here (I could pay my home bills for 3-4 months). I know the Launchpad X could be cool too, but it doesn't have that awesome GR-16 integration :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:

@andowrites said:

@Billewis said:

The Pro Mk3 costs a lot here (I could pay my home bills for 3-4 months). I know the Launchpad X could be cool too, but it doesn't have that awesome GR-16 integration :lol:

That, right there, about the Launchpad X, was something I needed to know, and didn't know. Thanks!

• @senhorlampada said:

@andowrites said:

@Billewis said:

The Pro also has some more buttons which in hindsight, I regret not having. I love my LP X . But the extra buttons are worth thinking about.

• Thanks, @espiegel123
    That's good to know.

@andowrites, since you're interested too, here's the comparison between the current three models:

Yeah... I guess between the extra buttons, Midi in/out connections and sequencer, i'll think about saving for the mk3 :wink:

• How is the Launchpad Pro workflow with GR-16 anyone?

• Hello, does anyone know how to activate sendCC in version auV3 (in AUM midi output ok send CC ko )? it works in standalone version :-(
    Thanks !
    Olivier