Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider GR-16 Tips And Tricks Megathread!

124

Comments

  • @rs2000 said:

    @RajahP said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @RajahP said:
    I thought I read somewhere that GR-16 is supposed to go Auv3.. I also read somewhere that no further development is expected for this iOS gem...
    Well, I can only imagine having GR-16 recording as an AuMidiFx.. just imagine what you can do to a ‘BassLine’ with its PLock features.. and it Groove Quantize, and it’s Arp, midi out.. so much this Instrument has to offer.. and still more can be implemented..

    You can already use IAA to either use GR's own sequencer and connect the audio to your DAW, or also route MIDI to GR and use your DAW sequencer to compose. For me that's all I need.

    That’s what I am trying now... but it’s a pain in the behind setting it up and controlling.. Seems it would be more productive having multiple instances in the midi channels (AUM).. where you can add other AuMidiFx (scaler,etc) like a breeze.. State saving etc..

    Edit.. mainly the midi out from GR-16..

    I don't exactly get what you're trying to do ... you can route MIDI both from and to GR-16, no matter if it's a sequencer, an IAA or an AuMidiFx.
    Also, one instance of GR already provides 16 MIDI channels with 16 different instruments, isn't that enough? ;)

    One instance is just that, one instance.. One instance of one song ‘locked’, one song-mode, etc. But imagine having ’just’ two independent instances.. You are not tied to those 16 midi channels of that one song (bass-line, synth-lead, etc).. you can load a bass-line from a different song (independent of the other instance sending leads).. switching patterns ‘independently’.. Two+ independent GR-16s on your screen... and a breeze to setup.. and recall..

  • Don’t think I’d ever need that. But, state saving would be great!

  • @wim said:
    But, state saving would be great!

    Now that you're sayin' it - total recall is great indeed :+1:
    I don't think that @jimpavloff has yet considered this to be a useful case.

  • wimwim
    edited October 2019

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:
    But, state saving would be great!

    Now that you're sayin' it - total recall is great indeed :+1:
    I don't think that @jimpavloff has yet considered this to be a useful case.

    I think GR-16 is pretty much fully baked at this point if I remember correctly. But if he ever added Audiobus state saving, I’d sure love it.

    What I do though, is just save the pattern I’m using with the same name as the AB session. If I’m using it with X2 in the mix, I save that project with the same name too. That way it only takes a minute to get back up to speed worst case.

  • @wim said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:
    But, state saving would be great!

    Now that you're sayin' it - total recall is great indeed :+1:
    I don't think that @jimpavloff has yet considered this to be a useful case.

    I think GR-16 is pretty much fully baked at this point if I remember correctly. But if he ever added Audiobus state saving, I’d sure love it.

    What I do though, is just save the pattern I’m using with the same name as the AB session. If I’m using it with X2 in the mix, I save that project with the same name too. That way it only takes a minute to get back up to speed worst case.

    That's exactly how I do it too. My names usually begin with YYYYMMDD...

  • wimwim
    edited October 2019

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:
    But, state saving would be great!

    Now that you're sayin' it - total recall is great indeed :+1:
    I don't think that @jimpavloff has yet considered this to be a useful case.

    I think GR-16 is pretty much fully baked at this point if I remember correctly. But if he ever added Audiobus state saving, I’d sure love it.

    What I do though, is just save the pattern I’m using with the same name as the AB session. If I’m using it with X2 in the mix, I save that project with the same name too. That way it only takes a minute to get back up to speed worst case.

    That's exactly how I do it too. My names usually begin with YYYYMMDD...

    Oh. Mine are so much more refined with the ever so tasteful “-“. YYYY-MM-DD just adds a certain ... je ne sais quoi...

  • @wim said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @wim said:
    But, state saving would be great!

    Now that you're sayin' it - total recall is great indeed :+1:
    I don't think that @jimpavloff has yet considered this to be a useful case.

    I think GR-16 is pretty much fully baked at this point if I remember correctly. But if he ever added Audiobus state saving, I’d sure love it.

    What I do though, is just save the pattern I’m using with the same name as the AB session. If I’m using it with X2 in the mix, I save that project with the same name too. That way it only takes a minute to get back up to speed worst case.

    That's exactly how I do it too. My names usually begin with YYYYMMDD...

    Oh. Mine are so much more refined with the ever so tasteful “-“. YYYY-MM-DD just adds a certain ... je ne sais quoi...

    I bet that shows in your music too, just by listening to those excitingly new, dash-tagged compositions B)

  • This thread must never die.

  • Staying alive!

    Did anyone ever try to play different slices using midi in, for instance with Xequence 2?

    It seems the slices are being assigned internally in the the GR-16 sequencer and not directly by midi note.
    So the slices can not be controlled directly just by a midi in note.

    Am I correct?

  • What happened to this thread? I thought it was... mega?

  • Yeah, maybe I posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

  • @manaftermidnight said:
    Yeah, maybe I posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

    I don’t think you did. I thought this was one of the biggest threads on ABF?

    This is important.

    😉

  • Complete noob question

    Where is the manual?

    I have never seen or used a "groove box" before

    I play keyboards, I bought this thinking it would be good for accompanying and song sketches but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It looks like a foreign spaceship control panel to me.

    I saw no button for the manual and pushed all sorts of things but I can only make it play and stop Pre- recorded stuff

  • @ralis said:
    Complete noob question

    Where is the manual?

    I have never seen or used a "groove box" before

    I play keyboards, I bought this thinking it would be good for accompanying and song sketches but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It looks like a foreign spaceship control panel to me.

    I saw no button for the manual and pushed all sorts of things but I can only make it play and stop Pre- recorded stuff

    Maybe you should take a look at some videos on YouTube. It could be more productive than a manual for us beginners of the grooveboxes world...

  • wimwim
    edited October 2019

    @manaftermidnight said:
    Staying alive!

    Did anyone ever try to play different slices using midi in, for instance with Xequence 2?

    It seems the slices are being assigned internally in the the GR-16 sequencer and not directly by midi note.
    So the slices can not be controlled directly just by a midi in note.

    Am I correct?

    Sure they can. Try setting midi mode to omni, selecting the part, and engaging the slice button. @rs2000 might be able to enlighten us further on the best setup.

  • @wim said:

    @manaftermidnight said:
    Staying alive!

    Did anyone ever try to play different slices using midi in, for instance with Xequence 2?

    It seems the slices are being assigned internally in the the GR-16 sequencer and not directly by midi note.
    So the slices can not be controlled directly just by a midi in note.

    Am I correct?

    Sure they can. Try setting midi mode to omni, selecting the part, and engaging the slice button. @rs2000 might be able to enlighten us further on the best setup.

    Indeed it seems like only one part can be played by MIDI from an external sequencer due to requiring OMNI mode, otherwise you're playing one slice chromatically.
    I have never stumbled over this as I'm always using the internal sequencer.
    It has its limitations but I've found workarounds for almost (almost!) everything.

    Like this one:

    • Sequence everything except slices in Xequence
    • Create slice patterns inside GR16 (one pad for each slice, MPC-style)
    • Sync both over MIDI clock

    These are the settings.

    Xequence 2:

    Groove Rider Settings menu:

  • Thanks guys! I found the info in the manual as well. Where there’s a will there’s a way @rs2000 👍 👌

  • I’m sure this has already been asked /answered but can’t spot it...

    can GR16 respond to program changes to change patterns?

    (Use case would be changing patterns on an external elektron box and having Gr16 step through its patterns in time)

    Thanks

  • wimwim
    edited November 2019

    @no1normal said:
    I’m sure this has already been asked /answered but can’t spot it...

    can GR16 respond to program changes to change patterns?

    (Use case would be changing patterns on an external elektron box and having Gr16 step through its patterns in time)

    Thanks

    Yes.

    Program change message switches User Patterns from 0 to 127 (midi bank 0). To be able to select User Patterns numbered 128-255 (midi bank 1), you must first select midi bank 1 (send Bank Select LSB = 1 and Bank Select MSB = 0 messages) before sending Program change message.

    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf. Pretty good manual on this one.

  • @wim said:

    @no1normal said:
    I’m sure this has already been asked /answered but can’t spot it...

    can GR16 respond to program changes to change patterns?

    (Use case would be changing patterns on an external elektron box and having Gr16 step through its patterns in time)

    Thanks

    Yes.

    Program change message switches User Patterns from 0 to 127 (midi bank 0). To be able to select User Patterns numbered 128-255 (midi bank 1), you must first select midi bank 1 (send Bank Select LSB = 1 and Bank Select MSB = 0 messages) before sending Program change message.

    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf. Pretty good manual on this one.

    Cheers! Apologies for my laziness in double checking the manual again. Ironically, it is one of the few manuals I had previously taken the time to read on release.... so much added since that I’ll have another look now

  • wimwim
    edited November 2019

    @no1normal said:

    @wim said:

    @no1normal said:
    I’m sure this has already been asked /answered but can’t spot it...

    can GR16 respond to program changes to change patterns?

    (Use case would be changing patterns on an external elektron box and having Gr16 step through its patterns in time)

    Thanks

    Yes.

    Program change message switches User Patterns from 0 to 127 (midi bank 0). To be able to select User Patterns numbered 128-255 (midi bank 1), you must first select midi bank 1 (send Bank Select LSB = 1 and Bank Select MSB = 0 messages) before sending Program change message.

    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf. Pretty good manual on this one.

    Cheers! Apologies for my laziness in double checking the manual again. Ironically, it is one of the few manuals I had previously taken the time to read on release.... so much added since that I’ll have another look now

    I was afraid you might think that was a RTFM comment.😂
    I didn’t mean it that way. I just provided it in case you wanted further info. Seems like I’m always hunting that one down.

  • @wim said:

    @wim said:
    One super-nice way to work with GR-16 is to record a midi-out performance into Xequence2, then do song arranging there. I'll typically build up my grooves in GR-16, then play them all one time through into X2 with a template I have set up for that purpose. All 16 tracks can record into X2 in one shot (including automation!), then you have them all there to slice up patterns, duplicate, etc.. It's a great way to leverage GR-16 for what it does best, but then use something else better suited to arrangements.

    I have a X2 project set up as a template for this. It has the 16 tracks assigned to output to GR-16 after recording. I'll post it to pathstorage.com in a bit.

    OK, so I uploaded the Xequence 2 project to patchstorage.com: https://patchstorage.com/xequence-2-grooverider-gr-16-patch/. There are some brief instructions in the patch description. Sorry, you need to unzip the file as patchstorage won’t let me upload a .xeqproj file.

    I added a tip into the GrooveRider Wiki page referencing the project as well.

    Sorry, this really could benefit from a video to get the idea across. I just don’t feel like taking the effort to do that though.

    That’s probably enough of a thread hijack for now. Please feel free to PM me, start another thread, or tack onto the GR-16 mega thread if anything is unclear. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28714/grooverider-gr-16-tips-and-tricks-megathread#latest

    Hi @wim this is a very interesting approach. A question, or two, or three :-):

    • Can this be achieved in Xequence 1? or has X2 some features that enable it?
    • Even better can this be done in Gadget or Cubasis? I know my way around these much more than Xequence
    • In fact, I'd ideally, I'd like to find a iOS replacement (in terms of simplicity) for a hardware sequencer that should be retired, an Alesis MMT-8... it has the easiest workflow for my head to get around. So if you know a similar one on iOS, great :-).

    As always, thanks a bunch for your contributions to this community.

  • @wim said:
    Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

    Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

    GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

    The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

    # GR-16 pad to note converter
    
    # Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    
    # Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42
    
    # Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B
    
    # Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31
    
    # Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    
    # Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC
    
    # Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END
    
    # And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END
    

    thank you so much for this!!! This has really helped me squeeze more value out of some drum machines which don't feature the cool sequencing tricks of GR16 (probability, retrig rolls, etc)

    Makes me realise how dependent I am on these features :lol:

  • @drewinnit said:

    @wim said:
    Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

    Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

    GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

    The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

    # GR-16 pad to note converter
    
    # Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    
    # Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42
    
    # Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B
    
    # Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31
    
    # Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    
    # Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC
    
    # Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END
    
    # And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END
    

    thank you so much for this!!! This has really helped me squeeze more value out of some drum machines which don't feature the cool sequencing tricks of GR16 (probability, retrig rolls, etc)

    Makes me realise how dependent I am on these features :lol:

    Cool. I'm glad it helped. I did it because GR is such a great sequencer. :)

  • @drewinnit said:

    @wim said:
    Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

    Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

    GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

    The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

    # GR-16 pad to note converter
    
    # Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    
    # Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42
    
    # Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B
    
    # Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31
    
    # Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    
    # Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC
    
    # Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END
    
    # And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END
    

    thank you so much for this!!! This has really helped me squeeze more value out of some drum machines which don't feature the cool sequencing tricks of GR16 (probability, retrig rolls, etc)

    Makes me realise how dependent I am on these features :lol:

    Seems an Auv3 port can solve this issue..

  • @RajahP said:

    @drewinnit said:

    @wim said:
    Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

    Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

    GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

    The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

    # GR-16 pad to note converter
    
    # Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    
    # Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42
    
    # Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B
    
    # Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31
    
    # Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    
    # Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC
    
    # Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END
    
    # And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END
    

    thank you so much for this!!! This has really helped me squeeze more value out of some drum machines which don't feature the cool sequencing tricks of GR16 (probability, retrig rolls, etc)

    Makes me realise how dependent I am on these features :lol:

    Seems an Auv3 port can solve this issue..

    An AUv3 port wouldn’t change this in any way. MIDI out from GR-16 would be the same either way.

  • edited January 22

    @wim said:

    @RajahP said:

    @drewinnit said:

    @wim said:
    Here’s one for the more nerdy among us...

    Alter the midi out channel and note coming from the pads using StreamByter

    GR-16 outputs midi on a different channel for each pad. In some cases you might want to remap these to different channels. For instance, you might want pads 9-16 to play a single drum app, while leaving pads 1-8 unchanged.

    The example below sends pads 9-16 to channel 10 and maps the output notes to RuisMaker’s note scheme. There’s also an alternate mapping for Gadgets such as London and Recife, and one for a typical General Midi drum map.

    # GR-16 pad to note converter
    
    # Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    
    # Uncomment below for RuisMaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42
    
    # Uncomment below for Gadget on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B
    
    # Uncomment below for General Midi on pads 9-16
    # ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 25 26 2D 32 2A 2E 31
    
    # Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each pad in J0
    # Only 00 through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    # 00 means no substitution
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    
    # Get the pad number from the incoming channel number
    ASS L0 = MC
    
    # Use that to look up the note translation
    IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END
    
    # And the channel translation
    IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END
    

    thank you so much for this!!! This has really helped me squeeze more value out of some drum machines which don't feature the cool sequencing tricks of GR16 (probability, retrig rolls, etc)

    Makes me realise how dependent I am on these features :lol:

    Seems an Auv3 port can solve this issue..

    An AUv3 port wouldn’t change this in any way. MIDI out from GR-16 would be the same either way.

    Ok.. got mazed in the nerd stuff.. but an Au port, one can use one instance as a pure ‘drum’ machine.. BeatHawk did a good solution for this, just use a pad as a ‘complete drum module’.. Hopefully BH3 is out soon..

Sign In or Register to comment.