Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Electribe Wave

Comments

• edited October 2018

I’m finding that using the song mode is pretty optional and up to taste. Given that the patterns are saved in a nice big grid, you can simply trigger the patterns in order whilst recording into AudioShare or wherever and the benefits are that you can change things and save over stuff right there in the same place you’re figuring out your song. There’s almost no benefits to the actual song mode, unless your brain simply gels better with a vertical scrolling list type timeline. But I like the “pattern list as a launchpad” method. Don’t have to switch back and forth between pattern and song mode that way either.

Unless someone tells me that exporting from song mode renders all the fx tails in their entirety, in which case it’d be just a last step formality, putting the patterns in there.

• After some comparison I much prefer GR-16. Just wish it had a Song Mode

• @sdesign said:
    After some comparison I much prefer GR-16. Just wish it had a Song Mode

It’s being worked on, I believe.

In the meantime, I’ve been having great results recording GR-16 jams into Xequence, then playing them back, bypassing need for a robust song mode. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/556009/#Comment_556009

• edited October 2018

@wim said:

@sdesign said:
    After some comparison I much prefer GR-16. Just wish it had a Song Mode

It’s being worked on, I believe.

>

That’s cool. I’m hoping for a Song edit mode that takes over the top of the screen (like the mixer does) so you can create the song more visually rather using the menu screen.

• Yeah Song mode is there to automate things for you.

So far between Electribe Wave and GR-16 I find a better overall flow in the Korg app. I just find it easier to get the kind of sounds and sequences out of it that I want. I find myself spending more time noodling patches in GR-16 than actually composing. I have yet to find my set of preferred patches, even after downloading a bunch of Serum waves.

Also, considering that I have limited time to play, I like the low friction ceiling Electribe Wave offers me...but we're all different when it comes to our creative urges and requirements. Both apps are great at what they do...KEW is just a personal preference of mine. Here's the KEW playlist so far of everything to date that I've produced while learning the app:
    https://soundcloud.com/policarpo-wood/sets/korg-electribe-wave

• @echoopera said:
    Yeah Song mode is there to automate things for you.

So far between Electribe Wave and GR-16 I find a better overall flow in the Korg app. I just find it easier to get the kind of sounds and sequences out of it that I want. I find myself spending more time noodling patches in GR-16 than actually composing. I have yet to find my set of preferred patches, even after downloading a bunch of Serum waves.

Also, considering that I have limited time to play, I like the low friction ceiling Electribe Wave offers me...but we're all different when it comes to our creative urges and requirements. Both apps are great at what they do...KEW is just a personal preference of mine. Here's the KEW playlist so far of everything to date that I've produced while learning the app:

Show Off! :D

• @anickt said:

@echoopera said:

Absolutely! But I must also I say I’m almost at the point of simply living vicariously through Mr. Opera’s multivarious efforts :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@echoopera said:

Absolutely! But I must also I say I’m almost at the point of simply living vicariously through Mr. Opera’s multivarious efforts :)

If I can make the suggestion, post your album to Bandcamp so people can contribute financially to your music.

• @u0421793 said:

@e121 said:
    … That UI though, bleh, ugly as can be. Pair it with the app icon and it looks like the art aspect of this app was an afterthought …

In what way is it ugly? What should it have been like?

Ugly colors, not a lot of contrast. Would have liked to see more contrast, and something other than the 3 primary colors red yellow blue.

• edited October 2018

Anyone have a good idea of what the mod types do, not the modulators, but the mod types next to the wave display? The manual gives a brief half page explanation, leaving me to wonder what oscillators they are talking about in that brief explanation.

Maybe there’s an answer in this huge thread, but I have not been following it.

In spite of that little mystery, I’m finding this synth engine to be one of the more interesting ones to be released for iOS in quite some time.

• @e121 said:
    Anyone have a good idea of what the mod types do, not the modulators, but the mod types next to the wave display? The manual gives a brief half page explanation, leaving me to wonder what oscillators they are talking about in that brief explanation.

Maybe there’s an answer in this huge thread, but I have not been following it.

In spite of that little mystery, I’m finding this synth engine to be one of the more interesting ones to be released for iOS in quite some time.

I’m not sure what the modulators actually do, I’ve just tried them all and know what they sound like/what to expect. I’d just experiment

• Having a little fun getting overly layered with this one...was inspired by the Environments link i posted earlier:

• Really dope Kew creations and playlist @echoopera!

• edited October 2018

Thanks @reasOne for giving it a listen.

Well i think this is gonna be a good thing:

• Here’s the result over a lunchtime exploration...i just love per step probabilities 🤪🤓

• Here’s another little sample of the setup

• @echoopera said:
    Here’s another little sample of the setup

Nice, getting the 'vibes' from the Blood Sport soundtrack from that one ;)

• @echoopera said:
    Here’s another little sample of the setup

Good stuff. Looks like a damn flight deck to these simple eyes :)

• edited October 2018

Thanks for giving it a listen and viewing. So i think I’m going to embark on a little project of constraints of sorts for the next several months involving OT and KEW. I just tested it and i was able to get (correction-7synths, 8 drums) 15 channels of midi in to record directly into KEW in real time coming from the OT...so yeah i think something good will come of this. I may start a separate thread once i get things into place (i charted everything last night so i have a good idea of what I’m going for).

Hope to see you all along the journey to keep me honest. 🤫🤪

BTW: @davis_korgrd if you’re lurking around here, i could really use Export Stems or to Ableton Project file for this if you catch my drift 👊🏼™️🙏🏼

• @davis_korgrd dunno if I mentioned this here to you, but it would be super useful if the erase button only erased notes already recorded in the sequencer while still allowing live notes to be recorded. This is as it was in Gadget before that feature was removed. Thank you!

• edited October 2018

@db909 said:
    @davis_korgrd dunno if I mentioned this here to you, but it would be super useful if the erase button only erased notes already recorded in the sequencer while still allowing live notes to be recorded. This is as it was in Gadget before that feature was removed. Thank you!

WE WANT THE ERASER BUTTON AND OVERDUB RECORDING!

@davis_korgrd I would also add that the save button for patterns should not prompt for a new name every time. A better solution would be a long press on s pattern block to open the pattern properties. A save should be a simple overwrite with no need for another pop up window with the insanely annoying keyboard popping up and down!!!!!

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@db909 said:
    @davis_korgrd dunno if I mentioned this here to you, but it would be super useful if the erase button only erased notes already recorded in the sequencer while still allowing live notes to be recorded. This is as it was in Gadget before that feature was removed. Thank you!

WE WANT THE ERASER BUTTON AND OVERDUB RECORDING!

@davis_korgrd I would also add that the save button for patterns should not prompt for a new name every time. A better solution would be a long press on s pattern block to open the pattern properties. A save should be a simple overwrite with no need for another pop up window with the insanely annoying keyboard popping up and down!!!!!

+1 definitely get tired of the prompt. Not sure if that’s the perfect solution, but I agree a one tap and done overwrite option is needed

• Ableton Export would be such a time saver, so plus one from me.

• @echoopera said:
    Thanks for giving it a listen and viewing. So i think I’m going to embark on a little project of constraints of sorts for the next several months involving OT and KEW. I just tested it and i was able to get 16 channels of midi in to record directly into KEW in real time coming from the OT...so yeah i think something good will come of this. I may start a separate thread once i get things into place (i charted everything last night so i have a good idea of what I’m going for).

BTW: @davis_korgrd if you’re lurking around here, i could really use Export Stems or to Ableton Project file for this if you catch my drift 👊🏼™️🙏🏼

Surely you want 16 separate audio outs (IAA) for that?

• edited October 2018

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@echoopera said:
    Thanks for giving it a listen and viewing. So i think I’m going to embark on a little project of constraints of sorts for the next several months involving OT and KEW. I just tested it and i was able to get 16 channels of midi in to record directly into KEW in real time coming from the OT...so yeah i think something good will come of this. I may start a separate thread once i get things into place (i charted everything last night so i have a good idea of what I’m going for).

Surely you want 16 separate audio outs (IAA) for that?

Well that will never happen. That’s why I’m hoping we get the STEM export like we have in Gadget.

• @db909 said:

A couple other people have mentioned that, yea. I'm not sure what the status of this is right now, but we as a team are at least aware of the feature request.

• @davis_korgrd said:

@db909 said:

A couple other people have mentioned that, yea. I'm not sure what the status of this is right now, but we as a team are at least aware of the feature request.

Cool cool

• @Tarekith said:
    Ableton Export would be such a time saver, so plus one from me.

There is an interview with the developers in Japanese and they mentioned Ableton export is planned for a future update.

• Thanks for chiming I’m @davis_korgrd

Here’s another little afternoon jam using this loverly tool. Really hoping for Ableton Project export soonish 😬👊🏼™️

I want to master each track and push it a little further. 🙏🏼

• @echoopera said:
    Thanks for chiming I’m @davis_korgrd

Here’s another little afternoon jam using this loverly tool. Really hoping for Ableton Project export soonish 😬👊🏼™️

I want to master each track and push it a little further. 🙏🏼

Can absolutely hear/imagine James Bolam reading something over this. Sounds more polished than ever. How lucky for you someone made an app with you in mind like this :) May it happen to us all....