Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2

Comments

• Thanks for replying. That all makes sense, and I’ll get it regardless. I agree with an earlier post that statesaving (through Audiobus?) would make a huge difference - would be so good to be able to easily pick up from a previous session, however it’s implemented.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018

@benkamen said: I just don't think Patterning makes sense as an AU instrument, so I made the conscious choice to not make it one.

That’s actually the message I perceived but wasn’t sure, thanks for confirming the decision.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @benkamen said:

You will be able to change back to the v1 colors if you prefer.

Good stuff. The Original app has a great colour palette.

• edited May 2018

@Dawdles said:
    But for any genre with vocals or complex polyphonic midi instrument parts or audio tracks it makes total sense as a fullscreen AU so it can live in a DAW...

Yup agreed. Though a lot of people may not (yet) approach iPad production this way.

• @AudioGus said:

@benkamen said:

As an AU host, sure, that makes sense to me.

WHOOT! :heart: :heart: :heart: I can barely imagine how immensely awesome this would be!

double whoot whoot

• @kobamoto said:

@AudioGus said:

@benkamen said:

WHOOT! :heart: :heart: :heart: I can barely imagine how immensely awesome this would be!

double whoot whoot

I am stupidly excited about this possibility. I have already preordered – perhaps I can preorder twice?

• edited May 2018

@oat_phipps said:
    So no one else agrees about the new color scheme being drab?

>

Yep, I do.

But that I could live with. Also, ingenious as the bells and whistles in P2 may be, and much as I respect the creative brilliance of the dev, without AU it isn’t for me. There is no point in pretending otherwise.

As is the case with many here, this is a fundamental difference of opinion between what customers want and what the dev has chosen to do. A difference which looks like it will not be resolved. :'(

• All I want is to organize my samples in folders.

• Many devs are not providing AUv3 so there must be valid reasons for it. Otherwise, why not appeal to more potential buyers? It's been clear for a long time that the more vocal crowd needing AUv3 are here and dominating threads, yet here we are with reality. An app doesn't need to be for everyone. In the end, the market will decide how critical AU is to an app like P2. I expect, and hope, it'll still be very popular.

• edited May 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@oat_phipps said:
    So no one else agrees about the new color scheme being drab?

>

Yep, I do.

But that I could live with. Also, ingenious as the bells and whistles in P2 may be, and much as I respect the creative brilliance of the dev, without AU it isn’t for me. There is no point in pretending otherwise.

As is the case with many here, this is a fundamental difference of opinion between what customers want and what the dev has chosen to do. A difference which looks like it will not be resolved. :'(

I had gotten the no AU vibe from the dev quite a while ago, so I had already taken this app off my list since Patterning 1. I just got temporarily re-seduced from his earlier response to it in this thread. :#

But AU certainly has become political on this here xxdiobus forum.

• @lovadamusic nobody is dominating threads. Please don’t get tribal about this in such a small community. We all hope P2 will be wildly popular! It’s a bit like the Groovebox threads where there are so many requests for preset saving or MIDI out as they seem like essential features to some.

Anywho, the feature has been requested so I agree there is no need to discuss it further in this thread. In fact I tried to divert the chat to another thread a while back...

• 9 pages of AU drama — you guys are fucked!

Patterning 2 is going to be amazing!!

• @OscarSouth :joy:

Time to go make some more music!

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@OscarSouth said:
    9 pages of AU drama — you guys are fucked!

Patterning 2 is going to be amazing!!

I believe that’s the first asinine comment I’ve ever read from you in all my time on the forum. I’m pretty surprised. What drama?? A few people stating their preferences calmly and politely - in my case at least, as much for the benefit of the developer who might be interested ... or not.

The people trying to shut down others expressing their opinions are the only ones I can see being dramatic. Yourself probably the most with that moronic outburst.

I have said. I will no doubt regret having done so, therefore will not be back. Drama I don’t need.

• I say we all head over to the Neo soul keys thread and see if we can get midi out to be implemented in all of those apps :#

• edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018

Ahem.

Just so everyone gets it, Patterning is a Melodic step sequencer more than a Drum Machine.

Hook it up to whatever AU synths or hardware you want and go to town. It is a great sequencer and great for creating music.

Just give this workflow a shot and the lights will go off.

@benkamen i hope you don’t keep coming back to this thread because i want you to focus on shipping this shiny brilliant piece of kit i know will be amazing and satisfying to noodle on and program. B) <3 o:)

• State saving is a good call, as is some kind of autosave process. Last night I went back and played with P1 in AUM as I haven't lately (yes, due to no AU), got an amazing groove going which caused me to remember how revolutionary this drum machine was, then accidentally fell asleep with the project open. As I slept, P1 crashed and I lost all progress because I hadn't saved. That is frustrating. If P2 fixes that, I will gladly pony up... I am not convinced I need any of the other new features.

• @echoopera said:
    Ahem.

Just so everyone gets it, Patterning is a Melodic step sequencer more than a Drum Machine.

Hook it up to whatever AU synths or hardware you want and go to town. It is a great sequencer and great for creating music.

@benkamen i hope you don’t keep coming back to this thread because i want you to focus on shipping this shiny brilliant piece of kit i know will be amazing and satisfying to noodle on and program. B) <3 o:)

Never really ran Patterning as a Melodic Seq. But the setup seem like a PITA, another reason for AU..

Anyway, what more does P2 bring to its Melodic Seq functionality?

Thanks..

• edited May 2018

@RajahP said:

@echoopera said:
    Ahem.

Never really ran Patterning as a Melodic Seq. But the setup seem like a PITA, another reason for AU..

Thanks..

Thanks for the plug <3

Fwiw, the initial setup only take a few minutes and can be saved as a template to start from in future performances.

What i think would make Patterning next level kit would be for it to be an AU Host and offer more than 8 Channels.

This in my opinion is what the request should be...but i am fine with the current workflow until that potential future release. B)

• @kobamoto said:

@AudioGus said:

@benkamen said:

double whoot whoot

I see your whoot whoot.
    I raise you one whoot.
    Whoot whoot whoot.
    :)

• @echoopera said:

@RajahP said:

@echoopera said:
    Ahem.

Thanks..

Thanks for the plug <3

Fwiw, the initial setup only take a few minutes and can be saved as a template to start from in future performances.

What i think would make Patterning next level kit would be for it to be an AU Host and offer more than 8 Channels.

This in my opinion is what the request should be...but i am fine with the current workflow until that potential future release. B)

Good stuff from you, per usual. B)

• @oddSTAR said:
    State saving is a good call, as is some kind of autosave process. Last night I went back and played with P1 in AUM as I haven't lately (yes, due to no AU), got an amazing groove going which caused me to remember how revolutionary this drum machine was, then accidentally fell asleep with the project open. As I slept, P1 crashed and I lost all progress because I hadn't saved. That is frustrating. If P2 fixes that, I will gladly pony up... I am not convinced I need any of the other new features.

That’s a pretty niche feature request: “Auto-save in case of crash after user falls asleep during amazing groove session”. I would love to see that on the Patterning 2 App Store feature list. :D

• @echoopera thats pretty cool, haven't used that feature yet with midi, I have used the corse tuning a bit for 808 basslines. Are you aware of any synths that will quantize the pitches to scale without using midiflow?
    I know lots let you set the scale but I doubt if it affects midi input.

• edited May 2018

@echoopera said:

@RajahP said:

@echoopera said:
    Ahem.

ay, what more does P2 bring to its Melodic Seq functionality?

Thanks..

That is utter boffinery of the highest order. Not certain whether to sign you up for the Nobel or have you burnt. Very good.

• @gusgranite said:
    @lovadamusic nobody is dominating threads. Please don’t get tribal about this in such a small community. We all hope P2 will be wildly popular! It’s a bit like the Groovebox threads where there are so many requests for preset saving or MIDI out as they seem like essential features to some.

Anywho, the feature has been requested so I agree there is no need to discuss it further in this thread. In fact I tried to divert the chat to another thread a while back...

Nothing tribal, no drama here. I'm just commenting as a reader. This thread is mostly about AUv3 because people who want it are very vocal, and repeat themselves multiple times in the same thread. People like me find that interesting. It's true of many threads I can remember where the announcement of a new app without AUv3 is mostly about it not being AUv3. While the devs and people wanting to talk about and learn more about the apps may hope for something different, I didn't even say there was anything "wrong" with talking about AU f-ing v3. LOL, but my post that merely states the reality is apparently seen as some kind of threat. :)

I still see the AUv3 topic as dominating threads, and I'm a contributor to it. I'm talking about AUv3. My point was about valid reasons for devs avoiding AUv3, and that I'm hoping P2 does well without it.

• edited May 2018

@lovadamusic said:

This thread is mostly about AUv3 because people who want it are very vocal, and repeat themselves multiple times in the same thread.
    >

I see people (not dead people, thankfully) supporting their points of view, in a civilised, open manner, with goodwill toward the developer.

Anyone in any business does well to take their customers views into account.

If AU is never coming to Patterning, then that is disappointing. But we all still wish the app well, and will continue to use P1. :)