Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2

Comments

• @Zen210507 said:

@lovadamusic said:

This thread is mostly about AUv3 because people who want it are very vocal, and repeat themselves multiple times in the same thread.
    >

I see people (not dead people, thankfully) supporting their points of view, in a civilised, open manner, with goodwill toward the developer.

Anyone in any business does well to take their customers views into account. If AU is never coming to Patterning, then that is disappointing. But we all still wish the app well, and will continue to use P1. :)

Yes, I think most people here are being perfectly nice about it. I don't know, maybe the developer even welcomes all the endless AUv3 talk and finds it most helpful. ;)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:

@RajahP said:

@echoopera said:
    Ahem.

Just so everyone gets it, Patterning is a Melodic step sequencer more than a Drum Machine.

ay, what more does P2 bring to its Melodic Seq functionality?

Thanks..

That is utter boffinery of the highest order. Not certain whether to sign you up for the Nobel or have you burnt. Very good.

Hahah. Either one and I’ll be on Fire.

Thank you thank you I’ll be here all night B)

• @lovadamusic said:

I don't know, maybe the developer even welcomes all the endless AUv3 talk and finds it most helpful. ;)

>

Respectfully, Mr Music, the first priority of anyone here should not be to help the developer promote his preferred path. The best value we can offer as individuals is an honest response to his plans. :)

• @echoopera said:

@RajahP said:

@echoopera said:
    Ahem.

Just so everyone gets it, Patterning is a Melodic step sequencer more than a Drum Machine.

Hook it up to whatever AU synths or hardware you want and go to town. It is a great sequencer and great for creating music.

Just give this workflow a shot and the lights will go off.

@benkamen i hope you don’t keep coming back to this thread because i want you to focus on shipping this shiny brilliant piece of kit i know will be amazing and satisfying to noodle on and program. B) <3 o:)

Never really ran Patterning as a Melodic Seq. But the setup seem like a PITA, another reason for AU..

Anyway, what more does P2 bring to its Melodic Seq functionality?

Thanks..

Thanks for the plug <3

Fwiw, the initial setup only take a few minutes and can be saved as a template to start from in future performances.

What i think would make Patterning next level kit would be for it to be an AU Host and offer more than 8 Channels.

This in my opinion is what the request should be...but i am fine with the current workflow until that potential future release. B)

Great tutorial. The setup is really not so much work. What happened to people suffering for their art? :smiley:

• @Zen210507 said:

@lovadamusic said:

I don't know, maybe the developer even welcomes all the endless AUv3 talk and finds it most helpful. ;)

>

Respectfully, Mr Music, the first priority of anyone here should not be to help the developer promote his preferred path. The best value we can offer as individuals is an honest response to his plans. :)

Absolutely. An honest response is the best value. Repeating it is even better. :)

• @lovadamusic said:
    Repeating it is even better. :)

>

As you have just proven. :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018

And just to add to the subject...here’s a quick little Patterning as Melodic Sequencer noodling with Model 15, Zeeon and some found sounds to soothe everyone’s nerves <3 o:)

Here’s my mental hold music until Patterning 2 is released

Just trying to illustrate how it’s already a powerful iOS composition tool as it stands.

• I’ve never seen such an outpouring , all desiring the same thing. Olympia sees this... They’ll put AU3 in a future update .. Mark my words.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, but will P2 replace the current version, or will they both still be available for purchase and updates?

• edited May 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    I’ve never seen such an outpouring , all desiring the same thing. Olympia sees this... They’ll put AU3 in a future update .. Mark my words.

Definitely the broadest pro AUv3 feedback I’ve seen so far However I don’t think AU is in Patterning’s future.

Dev made a conscious decision not to include it...I’m sure unraveling the design/architecture would be technically daunting.

• @realdawei said:

@Telstar5 said:
    I’ve never seen such an outpouring , all desiring the same thing. Olympia sees this... They’ll put AU3 in a future update .. Mark my words.

Definitely the broadest pro AUv3 feedback I’ve seen so far However I don’t think AU is in Patterning’s future.

Dev made a conscious decision not to include it...I’m sure unraveling the design/architecture would be technically daunting.

I think it also shows there are alternative markets for devs to exploit. The ideas and design of Patterning could quite easily become multiple apps - a stand alone IAA version that has features that exploit that way of working and an AU version that takes the Patterning ethos in new directions.

Absolutely no need for all this fuss. If the current dev decides that the AU approach is not for them (even as a separate app) someone will take the ideas we love in Patterning and take them the AU route. It’s not a matter of if, but when.

• @wim said:

@OscarSouth said:
    9 pages of AU drama — you guys are fucked!

Patterning 2 is going to be amazing!!

I believe that’s the first asinine comment I’ve ever read from you in all my time on the forum. I’m pretty surprised. What drama?? A few people stating their preferences calmly and politely - in my case at least, as much for the benefit of the developer who might be interested ... or not.

The people trying to shut down others expressing their opinions are the only ones I can see being dramatic. Yourself probably the most with that moronic outburst.

I have said. I will no doubt regret having done so, therefore will not be back. Drama I don’t need.

Hey don’t worry, I was quoting Trailer Park Boys for my own amusement

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@oat_phipps said:
    As a Patterning 2 paying customer, I demand access to the beta! B)

(I hope that sounded threatening enough to work)

As a Patterning 2 paying customer, I demand others do all this beta-work for me!

As a non-paying onlooker i demand that both entities keep doing their job to keep the mothership sleek and dandy.

• @echoopera said:
    Just trying to illustrate how it’s already a powerful iOS composition tool as it stands.

>

Quite right, too.

Also liking your ‘seal of approval’ video. ;)

• @echoopera said:
    What i think would make Patterning next level kit would be for it to be an AU Host and offer more than 8 Channels.

I'd buy that pie!

• edited May 2018

Preordered!! I love me some Patterning...

I didn't get a chance to work my way through all the comments, but these would be my requests (along with everything else people said + the moon):

File Browser with sort by date, BPM, Tagging, and other goodies to make file loading a better experience. Pull patterns and unsaved kits from files? I like the idea of a sample folder update, maybe file browser is in the works too and I just didn't see the note. (other than a quick blurb about file loading, no details).

Other than that, Changeable Skins? I stare at Patterning for so long and often would be nice to change it up... New skin looks nice though!

I like the Ableton Link action, Quantum is cool, maybe I'll sync it to some Max/MSP mayhem as they added some decent link objects to the palette. Mostly its just Maschine on Macbook Link'd to Aum>Patterning though... Then you can turn your friends into your techno bandmates - its so easy to sound good on that setup!! Bonus points when Turnado gets thrown in there... My GF had never touched a sequencer / drum machine/ synthesizer in her life and she hooked into Patterning like wildfire, now we can stare at our screens at the same time for something other than movies.

I have converted a few skeptical producers here in Portlandia to iOS with Patterning... Great work guys, looking forward to the U/D.

• I will definitely buy it, for sure. it was one of my first iOS drum machines and offers something quite unique over the more familiar step sequencer input. @benkamen is one of the most responsive devs out there too, great support.

I will use it as standalone as either as a sketch pad to take ideas into Ableton, or as a midi input device. Having said that AU would offer some great possibilities, such as increasing the tracks from 8 to limitless! Maybe I’d use it in a different way if it was AU, but not a deal breaker. As an AU host, now that sounds very interesting! B)

Would be great to export as a single midi file with the notes user defined, sometimes more convienient than recording in.

Sample management / workflow improvements are something I’m looking forward to most. Will you be able to drag and drop samples into slots? Will you be able to access apples file manager system? Will you be able to pull in zipped archives from Dropbox? So many questions!

P-Locking!

Can’t wait for this!

• @Beathoven said:
    That’s a pretty niche feature request: “Auto-save in case of crash after user falls asleep during amazing groove session”. I would love to see that on the Patterning 2 App Store feature list. :D

Haha...my example of where this would be helpful might be quite specific, but there are other apps that save your changes as you go and use a full save as a checkpoint rather than your only backup. It's a legitimate request.

• @OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

I believe that’s the first asinine comment I’ve ever read from you in all my time on the forum. I’m pretty surprised. What drama?? A few people stating their preferences calmly and politely - in my case at least, as much for the benefit of the developer who might be interested ... or not.

The people trying to shut down others expressing their opinions are the only ones I can see being dramatic. Yourself probably the most with that moronic outburst.

I have said. I will no doubt regret having done so, therefore will not be back. Drama I don’t need.

Heh. Should'a figured it was a joke since it was so out of character.

• @wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

It was a little, yeah, out of character.

• I like the way this thread has turned out, let's use it as a template for future Patterning threads.

• Hehe yah it kind of got sidetracked somewhere along the ways about something else. Anyway, @benkamen was asking for feedback on the new spec list, so...

1.) Record Beats - pads are nice, sweet!

2.) Randomize (Almost) Everything - I have wanted this before, so yes yes yes, very cool

3.) Next Generation Ratcheting - very cool (can things like filters or pan etc 'ratchet' too? Does point 11 imply this?)

4.) Drum Kit Switching - Woohoo! Probably the biggest one for me.

5.) Quantized Pattern Launch - I think I would want this... ?

6.) Coarse Tune Quantize - very nice!

7.) Pattern Tempo Changes - Interesting... curious how Link behaves with this

8.) Loop Rotate - I bet this is cool, but have a hard time visualizing it...

9.) Sample Folders - nice!

10.) Divide Mode Measure Length - this sounds like music stuff! I like music stuff...

11.) Automation Improvements - probably great

12.) Ableton Link Updates - I am sure this is good, but not exactly sure what it is. Start Stop I get... but Quantum setting? So like transport offset? Jump to bar 18 in BM3 (assuming it also gets this?) and I am on bar 18 in Patterning2? Any other apps doing this now?

13.) MIDI Gate Length & Unlimited CC Layers - awesome

14.) MIDI Only Tracks - nice!

• The randomisation sounds great, I love a randomiser.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

It was a little, yeah, out of character.

• I want to answer questions but I also really need to get work done and not spend too much time here... hoping to make lots of demo videos before launch to answer app questions. Apologies for not responding to everyone.

@Dawdles said:
    Out of curiosity what functionality would Patterning lose if it was AU? Sounds significant from they way you mention it, just wondering what apple have screwed up this time ;)

Some Patterning features that don't make sense in an AU Instrument :
    MIDI Out (unless it's a MIDI only version, but I doubt that is useful in 99% situations because how many AUs would pair well with 8 midi tracks as input? Just a very few (ruismaker? any others?). MIDI makes a lot more sense in a standalone or host app. And having a MIDI only and Audio only version seems excessive. Unless hey, they are two separate paid versions? People would love me for that.....)

The timeline. (Does it really make sense to have a timeline within an AU instrument? I'm not so sure. And then there needs to be a way to schedule pattern changes on the fly from the host app, which I haven't thought about too heavily but I don't see a way to make that a pleasant workflow -- point me in the direction of a good implementation of how this would work.)

MIDI Learn - granted it would be replaced by AU parameters, I suppose but that's clunkier than MIDI learn should be.

Cloud Kits
    Audio Export / Ableton Live Set Export

.... this is scratching the surface, but those are big things, and are really fundamental to Patterning. (I know, I could make a version that has these and then an AU instrument that doesn't... but that is two separate apps and still doesn't vibe well with me in terms of the workflow. The MIDI situation alone is the deal-breaker for me.

Regarding the idea of developers listening to customers... I really do listen and consider feature requests. And when a feature request resonates with my vision of the app I almost always implement it, provided that it fits within the realm of what is practical. I hear lots of feature requests that are "cool, but impractical" or "cool, but not useful for 99% of users" or "cool but requires completely re-writing the app." When I hear one that is "cool and practical," I can't stop thinking about it. But as creative people, I know you all understand the value of making decisions rather than trying to do everything all at once.

Anyway, as I said, Patterning does make sense to me as an AU Host. I will do my best before launch to lay some groundwork so that it is possible for it be an update to v2, rather than having to wait for v3 (in 2021?). I'm getting myself in trouble by saying that out loud, but like I said, if an idea resonates with my vision of the app, I almost always will do it.

@FlightManual said:
    All I want is to organize my samples in folders.

Your wish has been granted.

Also, yea auto-saving should be fixed in version 2 as it now happens on a background thread and hence will not interfere with audio or UI responsiveness.

Now back to Xcode!

• edited May 2018

MIDI Out (unless it's a MIDI only version, but I doubt that is useful in 99% situations because how many AUs would pair well with 8 midi tracks as input? Just a very few (ruismaker? any others?). MIDI makes a lot more sense in a standalone or host app. And having a MIDI only and Audio only version seems excessive. Unless hey, they are two separate paid versions? People would love me for that.....) @benkamen

The above is exactly what I want as an AU midi front end. Look at XOX in Rozeta. Your app Patterning has this lovely circular 8 track sequencer that would be a great addition to the Rozeta midi AU controllers. BM3, AUM and Cubasis all have sounds or apps that can be controlled by an 8 track sequencer or even more. Having sequences then linked together is exactly what the drum sequencers in Rozeta are already doing.

A version of Patternings circular sequencer as an AU midi make perfect sense. Yes it could and should be a completely separate app and charged for.

I can understand you not wanting to change Patterning to fit it in with the AU and AU midi concept, but to say it doesn’t make sense is (imo) a misunderstanding of the concept.

If you wish to understand anything more about how useful it would be or if I’ve just not explained it very well, I’m all up for more discussion. I really do believe their is more call for many more AU midi controllers. I really do believe your circular one would be great to drive AU midi forward.

I’m sure people here would be behind the concept and even discuss backing the idea financially too.

• AU means nothing to me.

Plus I love AB remote Patterning uses.

I only need one instance of Patterning anyway.

It always 100% runs great in Audiobus.

So, I don't know why I would want "AU".

Frankly, drum apps I try with AU are cumbersome, too petite, and are too hard to use in performance settings due to size.

I like to buy an app and have an app.

I like multi pages full size that I can see and use.

I don't want to need and open one or 2 other apps and midi settings to use a bloody drum app.

At that rate I rather use Reason or Ableton because it is easier to use them for drums then setting up a midi app and all the settings.

JUST MY OPINION.

I know that is blasphemy these days since somehow apps that work great in AB as is or a full operating app that is amazing is passe'

It is confusing to me.

For instance the MV808 app.

Not worth my time using AU version.

The app itself is genius and all the pages are great along with the features.

• Fruitbat1919 said;

A version of Patternings circular sequencer as an AU midi make perfect sense. Yes it could and should be a completely separate app and charged for.

Brilliant idea and would gladly pay for it