Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2

Comments

• This thread has inspired me to go back and play with Patterning 1 more, still havent used it to its fullest potential but digging deeper.

My request for P2 is probably included already but please make the cloud kits compatible across both apps.

Also found a minor error on the help screen under EDIT MODE it says "from right to left" but should say the opposite.

• So looking forward to drum kit switching!

• At the end of the day, it’s up to the dev how they think the connectivity should be implemented for their app. I am slightly perturbed that they were unaware that full screen AU already existed, but there we are; that’s my problem. An AU Patterning would’ve been great for all the benefits that brings, but as some have said, it’s not the be all and end all. I’m not sure if I’ll buy this one yet as I already have plenty of IAA drum machines sitting idle, but I am grateful that such a talented dev is still making great apps for iOS. Good luck to you @benkamen :)

• Just outta curiosity why do so many call Patterning an iAA drum machine as it's a beat machine period in my op is it not?.. I know that I will be dedicating my iPad mini 4 to Patterning exclusively.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AudioGus said:

@Iso said:

@syrupcore said:
    I'm totally fine without AU. I own and love stand-alone hardware drum machines. This looks like it will be the best one of the bunch. By like 10,000 miles.

I totally agree. When i got a new hardware drum machine in days gone by, i have never thought " I wish i had two of these". It's never happened. I have a Korg Electibe ER-1 which i still use, sitting next to my iPad. I've had it for nearly eighteen years. In all that time, i have never wished i had two of them. Not once. This whole AU thing is a complete red herring when it comes to ios Drum Machine type apps......P2 is going to be bloody amazing......wise up folks...........(or not......id be happy to keep it as a secret only shared by a select few ;) )

I think parameter recall within a host may be what people are more after with AU in this case as opposed to multiple instances.

Yeah.....i do get it, and of course that's incredibly useful, but just not a deal breaker for me in this instance. I don't really need any more drum machines, but this is Patterning!........It's got to be one of the best designs for ios of all time, and will surely go down as a classic........worth supporting this dev for that alone, in my opinion. :)

• edited May 2018

I would order too.....if there would be an iPhone version. This would be a wonderful controller app.

• @kobamoto said:
    Just outta curiosity why do so many call Patterning an iAA drum machine as it's a beat machine period in my op is it not?.. I know that I will be dedicating my iPad mini 4 to Patterning exclusively.

Probably because of this:

• Does P2 allow stereo samples?

• What’s going to happen to the current version? Will it be replaced by v2, or will they both be available and supported separately?

• @Beathoven said:
    At the end of the day, it’s up to the dev how they think the connectivity should be implemented for their app.

>

Sure. But what seems to be happening her is the same thing we see with Ampify/Novation apps.

That being, the developers want to go in a direction which seems perfectly valid to them, but does not necessarily meet with our hopes or expectations.

There is a lot of goodwill and a strong desire to play ball with devs of already great apps. That said, this is a commercial relationship, and customers are doing nothing wrong by requesting features, or being honest enough to say what turns them on or off.

Whether the IOS music making community is deemed worthy of catering for, in purely business terms, is a different matter.

• So no one else agrees about the new color scheme being drab? Also miss the different colors between the note sequence layers (in 1 it was a heat map type of effect)...it made for easier for clicking on which layer you want to edit.

It ultimately won’t diminish app utility, but the aesthetic really matters to me, especially when it’s something I get a lot of use out of. It adds greatly to the enjoyment (even if not the utility) of an app and encourages me to use it more.

• @oat_phipps said:
    So no one else agrees about the new color scheme being drab? Also miss the different colors between the note sequence layers (in 1 it was a heat map type of effect)...it made for easier for clicking on which layer you want to edit.

It ultimately won’t diminish app utility, but the aesthetic really matters to me, especially when it’s something I get a lot of use out of. It adds greatly to the enjoyment (even if not the utility) of an app and encourages me to use it more.

Probably just the development graphics..........it's another couple of months until release............

• Love the original app and so glad a sequel is coming. Instabuy. AU would be nice but can live without it. Agree that it’s worth having a dedicated iPad just for Patterning, it’s that good. Looking forward regardless. Love the idea of running Patterning 2 with samples, while the original is controlling a Nord Drum via midi. Love the new features. Bring it on!

• Just realised how many times I wrote the word love. It seems to betray a certain affection, but I can’t quite place it...

• edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dev specifically asked if AU was “a thing” - I believe the responses have effectively addressed this question

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@realdawei said:
    Dev specifically asked if AU was “a thing” - I believe the responses have effectively addressed this question

Yeh, unfortunately that question was self-sabotage tbh..

And what's better from a devs point of view - Some people being honest and saying 'looks great but I'm hooked in to AU setups/workflow now so I'm prob gonna pass'... or for those people to lie, or say nothing at all, and lead a dev to have a distorted view on an app's probable success/reception? We're all grown ups and everyone was polite with the feedback, which was asked for... No need for tears or the 'Protect The Devs!!' patrol to show up..

+1

• @oat_phipps said:
    So no one else agrees about the new color scheme being drab? Also miss the different colors between the note sequence layers (in 1 it was a heat map type of effect)...it made for easier for clicking on which layer you want to edit.

Yes I agree.

I understand the Dev will want a different look for V2 but colour is such a vital part of a UI's success.

Hopefully a more vibrant colour palette will be selected before release.

• @realdawei said:
    Dev specifically asked if AU was “a thing” - I believe the responses have effectively addressed this question

Dev asked if FULL-SCREEN AU was a thing. It seems not to be in many environments. He maintains that Patterning needs a lot of real estate to make it work.

• and I agree with @oat_phipps : The color scheme is a bit drab.

• edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@realdawei said:

Dev asked if FULL-SCREEN AU was a thing. It seems not to be in many environments. He maintains that Patterning needs a lot of real estate to make it work.

GB, AUM, BM3 are the hosts that I use that support full screen. I’d say that’s a significant enough bunch to make it “a thing”

A ton more screen real estate is available. I was glad to see Model 15 jump in there, then Kauldron. I messaged KQ Dixie dev on Twitter and he implemented in two days. I pm’d iOS 11 fullscreen API’s to Synthmaster dev a few weeks back and he was very receptive and agreed to implement.

Patterning is too good to be left out of the promised land of iOS plugin nirvana that is upon us :D if the app sucked I wouldn’t bother.

• After more reflection on why I'm not excited about the upcoming release without AUv3 compatibility, it comes down to one thing ... state saving. I only get scattered bits of time to make music throughout the week. I'm completing one song per week over at WeeklyBeats.com as a personal challenge. When I have to spend half or more of my time getting whatever I was doing back into the state it was when I left off, it's discouraging.

True story. Literally right after my post several pages ago, I ate up an entire available time window wrestling with Quantum and Cubasis to get back to the great place I was the night before.

So ... here's my point. If @benkamen could kindly implement Audiobus transport bar, full State Saving, and Audiobus MIDI, I can't think of a single reason i need AUv3, and would be thrilled to no end about the update.

This could possibly be relatively easy, I think since the Audiobus SDK is already being used.

I don't need multiple instances. Don't need in-app window. Don't care about the underlying technology (as long as it's stable). I just need to be able to pick up where I left off immediately.

Just thinking about the possibilities of the transport bar, Audiobus remote (for those running p2 on another iPad) gets me excited. How about a enable/disable button for each pad?

• @mAxjUlien said:

I didn’t realize how much the Color palette can effect work flow until Ableton included the option to select between light and dark. Completely different vibes and functions. With iPads being mobile its more relevant. Light is easier in daylight. Dark better for low light. Going from inside to outside during a session is a thing for many iPad creators.

@benkamen, Could palette options be a thing for Patterning 2?

B-Step 2 and GR-16 both have functionality for 'User Colours'.

It's a superAwesome feature that I wish more apps provided.

• @wim said:
    After more reflection on why I'm not excited about the upcoming release without AUv3 compatibility, it comes down to one thing ... state saving. I only get scattered bits of time to make music throughout the week. I'm completing one song per week over at WeeklyBeats.com as a personal challenge. When I have to spend half or more of my time getting whatever I was doing back into the state it was when I left off, it's discouraging.

That’s what I love about my AUM AU jams, I can save sessions, and with a single click I can load up the whole thing, ready to go again.

Listening back to last nights jam I mucked up the ending, but I can load it up and have another go tonight. Couple of seconds to load and it’s there.

• Just for the record, I'm not pretending that people don't like AUs, or that they aren't useful, or ignoring you or whatever. I just don't think Patterning makes sense as an AU instrument, so I made the conscious choice to not make it one. The question about full screen AU, I admit was silly and I apologize. Trying "fullscreen" mode with AU instruments has been unpleasant in my experience, though, so I really didn't consider it a viable option. More importantly, Patterning would actually have to lose a lot of its functionality to work as an AU instrument.

As an AU host, sure, that makes sense to me.

You will be able to change back to the v1 colors if you prefer.

• @benkamen said:

WHOOT! :heart: :heart: :heart: I can barely imagine how immensely awesome this would be!

• @benkamen said:
    Just for the record, I'm not pretending that people don't like AUs, or that they aren't useful, or ignoring you or whatever. I just don't think Patterning makes sense as an AU instrument, so I made the conscious choice to not make it one. The question about full screen AU, I admit was silly and I apologize. Trying "fullscreen" mode with AU instruments has been unpleasant in my experience, though, so I really didn't consider it a viable option. More importantly, Patterning would actually have to lose a lot of its functionality to work as an AU instrument.

You will be able to change back to the v1 colors if you prefer.

Would you consider aspects of the controller UI as a separate AU Midi app?