Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2

Comments

• @CracklePot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Iso said:

@CracklePot said:
    No AU, but I don’t care.
    I will still enjoy this.
    AU elitists are gonna miss out, at least for a while.
    That’s a shame.

Really, the only interface deficiency that is cumbersome for me is no Landscape mode.
    But even that doesn’t stop me.

No Landscape mode!!!!!? You crazy fool! That way madness lies!

Patterning has landscape mode.

No, I meant apps with no landscape mode chap my hide.
    No AU, no biggie.

Oh, right!
    Outside of Figure, I can't think of a single portrait-only app that I've kept.

• Only a maximum of 74 days to go............... I can’t wait to find out what ‘Randomization can be automated on a per step basis’ actually means in real life. It’s making my head numb trying to imagine it.

• @oat_phipps said:

@echoopera said:
    What about FOMS. We see a lot of that these days. :D

Touché on quite a deep level. Having a laugh at myself now.

:D <3

• @robosardine said:
    Only a maximum of 74 days to go............... I can’t wait to find out what ‘Randomization can be automated on a per step basis’ actually means in real life. It’s making my head numb trying to imagine it.

You can already randomize on a per step basis in Patterning, can't you? Each step can have a probability of playing. Maybe the new version will adopt Elektron-style conditional triggers, where each step can have its own sample and conditions on when it plays.

• yeah he said you can randomize almost everything..... and you can now have different mixer/fx setups for each pattern like impc pro. .. (syrup :# )

• @benkamen
    1)Didn't think one can improve Patterning, it does all that I need and more so I may not get it at the jump, but hey. Keep up the good work.
    2)Don't care for AUv3 but is it iPad only or iPad/iPhone? I'd love to throw this on my phone (6s).
    3)Will is crawl or stutter on an Air1?

• for sure, universal is vital.......!

• For me, the biggest change is the ability to play in a beat on pads. I've been asking for this since I can remember.

I think Patterning is one of the Special Ones, up there with Samplr. It's an instrument, not just a collection of sounds. In its own way, it's like GR-16. (Real shame nobody dived into that app since it wasn't AU....)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    For me, the biggest change is the ability to play in a beat on pads. I've been asking for this since I can remember.

I think Patterning is one of the Special Ones, up there with Samplr. It's an instrument, not just a collection of sounds. In its own way, it's like GR-16. (Real shame nobody dived into that app since it wasn't AU....)

But of course GR-16 has internal synths so it makes it easy and convenient which I think is what everyone is on about with AU. Load one app, make a dah muzik.

Seriously though Patterning should really be an AU host. That would be mind blowing. An all in one load it up and go happy fun groovebox. Dayum!

• You're right. Although I don't see why in the new version with playable pads you couldn't load a single-cycle waveform, put it on loop and play it chromatically, just as if it were a Digitakt.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    You're right. Although I don't see why in the new version with playable pads you couldn't load a single-cycle waveform, put it on loop and play it chromatically, just as if it were a Digitakt.

Perhaps. I do use single cycle waveforms in BM3 as there are lots of modulation options and of course fx. Not too sure what P2 will have to offer in that regard but will certainly try it if it seems viable.

• The only reason I don't use Patterning more often is because it's iPad only; most of my iOS music-making happens on the go on my iPhone Plus. Patterning is one of my absolute favorite apps (I think it is one of the best examples of how to design a touch interface for music) and I have always hoped that a new version would be Universal. Dang.

I would absolutely pay double for Patterning on my phone. Even a limited-feature version, "Patterning for iPhone" like they did with Animoog, would be killer.

• So preorder now at 25% off........and wait for it to price drop to 50% off on a holiday right after. I’ve played this game. I’ll just wait and see. May the odds be ever in my favor

• @stormywaterz said:
    So preorder now at 25% off........and wait for it to price drop to 50% off on a holiday right after. I’ve played this game. I’ll just wait and see. May the odds be ever in my favor

I have to admit...
    this has crossed my mind. :D

• This might be off-topic... but I was watching the latest episode of The Expanse last night and it looks like Patterning 2 is in use on the bridge of the UN flagship. The developer should be proud that his app lasts so far into the future and is used by UN security forces to run some sick jams during a battle.

• @CracklePot said:
    No AU, but I don’t care.
    I will still enjoy this.
    That’s a shame.

Really, the only interface deficiency that is cumbersome for me is no Landscape mode.

AU Elitists! :p

• edited May 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@CracklePot said:
    No AU, but I don’t care.
    I will still enjoy this.
    That’s a shame.

AU Elitists! :p

Like Ninjas or Green Berets? Cool

• edited May 2018

So... on the idea of Patterning being an actual AU host... I mean, Midisteps did it like a year and a half ago...

(Not that I am trying to foster any friendly competition here... ;)).

Ok sure... the whole UI thing heh.

• edited May 2018

@AudioGus said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    For me, the biggest change is the ability to play in a beat on pads. I've been asking for this since I can remember.

But of course GR-16 has internal synths so it makes it easy and convenient which I think is what everyone is on about with AU. Load one app, make a dah muzik.

Seriously though Patterning should really be an AU host. That would be mind blowing. An all in one load it up and go happy fun groovebox. Dayum!

this is a great idea and it would preserve Patternings workflow... as everyone doesn't want to turn everything they do on IOS into bm3's workflow, as a matter of fact I would say its such a great idea that all devs should go this route... preserve your own workflows so that the initial reason for the iOS platform in the first place can be retained, and still get all the AU you want.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ExAsperis99 said:

@robosardine said:
    Only a maximum of 74 days to go............... I can’t wait to find out what ‘Randomization can be automated on a per step basis’ actually means in real life. It’s making my head numb trying to imagine it.

You can already randomize on a per step basis in Patterning, can't you? Each step can have a probability of playing. Maybe the new version will adopt Elektron-style conditional triggers, where each step can have its own sample and conditions on when it plays.

@kobamoto said:
    yeah he said you can randomize almost everything..... and you can now have different mixer/fx setups for each pattern like impc pro. .. (syrup :# )

Yea- I got that- but how would you automate a randomization? If it’s playing randomly what effect is your automation having on it- and how do you control the automation if it ends up playing randomly?

• Yea- I got that- but how would you automate a randomization?

Let's say that you randomize the "Coarse Tune" parameter of an instrument to be 100%, so it's totally random around the initial coarse tune value. On step 4 (or 7, or 12...), you can automate the randomize amount so that it's not randomized on that step but always falls back to the initial coarse tune value.

• @eddielovesyou said:
    The only reason I don't use Patterning more often is because it's iPad only; most of my iOS music-making happens on the go on my iPhone Plus. Patterning is one of my absolute favorite apps (I think it is one of the best examples of how to design a touch interface for music) and I have always hoped that a new version would be Universal. Dang.

I would absolutely pay double for Patterning on my phone. Even a limited-feature version, "Patterning for iPhone" like they did with Animoog, would be killer.

This is me, too. Definitely buying, but hoping for Universal in the future.

• @AudioGus said:
    So... on the idea of Patterning being an actual AU host... I mean, Midisteps did it like a year and a half ago...

Totally forgot MidiSteps... BRB..

• @AudioGus said:

Crazy-ass Moebius Lab is an AU host as well. That is a weird one.

• @benkamen said:

Yea- I got that- but how would you automate a randomization?

Let's say that you randomize the "Coarse Tune" parameter of an instrument to be 100%, so it's totally random around the initial coarse tune value. On step 4 (or 7, or 12...), you can automate the randomize amount so that it's not randomized on that step but always falls back to the initial coarse tune value.

Aha- that sounds very appealing. It seems to me on hearing this that you could start a pattern running in such a way that it may be a very long time until it repeats itself.

I am also wondering to myself here- will the mute settings be able to be set in a pattern- so that when you change patterns the mute settings will change to those previously identified for that pattern?
    Is there anything else new with the mute settings in general?

• Or you only rano> @robosardine said:

I am also wondering to myself here- will the mute settings be able to be set in a pattern- so that when you change patterns the mute settings will change to those previously identified for that pattern?

Mute settings are stored with a drum kit. But you can associate different drum kits with different patterns. So you could have two nearly identical drum kits, with different mute settings, and have them attached to different patterns.

• @Dawdles said:

"The initial reason for the ios platform can be retained".... What does that even mean? Things like IAA only exist because devs had to accommodate Apple's limited hardware and awkward OS. You won't find anything like IAA on Microsoft Tablets because devs haven't been forced to go off course.. Sadly Surface mostly sucks for touchscreen production but that's down to a lack of touch friendly apps, not a lack of IAA... Also what does Beatmaker 3 have to do with anything? Opening Patterning in Beatmaker as an AU is gonna have the exact same Patterning workflow as opening Patterning standalone. Just the transport would be relocated...

it means the initial iOS workflow, open a unique app, and delve into that experience.. I don't want to see bm3 (which I own) or any other app unless I open that app.... I just want to open up Patterning, and work inside patterning, and then leave when I'm done.... and I don't want my transport relocated lol

• @benkamen said:
    Or you only rano> @robosardine said:

Mute settings are stored with a drum kit. But you can associate different drum kits with different patterns. So you could have two nearly identical drum kits, with different mute settings, and have them attached to different patterns.

nice!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I think this discussion will evolve. Patterning is, at its base, a SEQUENCER. It can play its drum samples, but it can drive melodic synths as well. I don’t recall the outright dismissal of Quantum for not being an AU plug-in. Wasn’t a problem with Xequence. I guess I’m missing something?

What is so problematic about having another sequencer running alongside BM3 or Cubasis? Or even sending eight channels of audio or midi into those environments? Is it the lack of state-saving? The app-switching that is the dealbreaker?

I’m not trying to kick up dust; I honestly don’t get it.

Well, yeah. LOL. Hopefully, for the dev's sake, assuming he's not feverishly working on an AU update as we speak, there are enough musicians in iOS land who aren't too "inconvenienced" to take advantage of his unique app.