Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What hardware are you currently using or lusting

Comments

• edited February 2018

@Dubbylabby said:
    So even with old iDevices and iOS versions I recomend external clock (groovebox or similar) and the Alink from there.

That's the way I use it anyway, simply because hitting a hardware PLAY button feels much better :)

Someone should release a hardware groovebox with alink transport features. With Alink 2.0 it will be a superselller...

A. Use an old iDevice and install the "MIDI Link Sync" app on it
    B. Give your sleeping Raspberry Pi (you own one, don't you? ;) a rebirth with one of the GitHub projects that do SYNC <> Ableton Link or MIDI Clock <> Ableton Link
    It's a bit of work but a nice alternative. I might do it myself soon, I just managed to reactivate my Roland UA100 audio/midi USB interface on the Raspi 2 with very low latency MIDI, so there's hope! The UA100 even has enough space inside to implant the Raspi.

• @rs2000 I give it as gift to my brother. He’s playing retroarcade games on it :expressionless:
    The old devices path is was my own but now I’m burnt. Take a second look into Arduino/Raspi world could be possible but I expect Ableton/cyclin’74 releasing something like op-lab board with some nice features in some distant future...
    ATM I’m collecting old PC to make them monofunction (sampler, arranger, live5...) these are cheap than old iDevices and let mecostumize them like Raspis (with winxp old school flava) so I only need to invest some time and fit them in standalone mode. :V

• @rs2000 said:

@Proto said:

@Mayo said:
    I hated my Oktatrack... gone
    Now lusting after a Makita power saw

Have you watched those commercials again ?

I have no clue why I love those Makita tools :P

Saw what you did there.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    ATM I’m collecting old PC to make them monofunction (sampler, arranger, live5...) these are cheap than old iDevices and let mecostumize them like Raspis (with winxp old school flava) so I only need to invest some time and fit them in standalone mode. :V

Even better. A more creative way to realize the hardware you're lusting for ;)

• I’m playing my weissenborn a lot. :D and I’m lusting after an electric lap steel.

• Lusting: OB6, Digitakt, Analog 4 (keys), SquareP Pyramid, Strymon Dig, Radikal Technologies Delta Cep A

Lusting, but know full well ain't never gonna happen: Waldorf Quantum, MFB Dominion, Oberheim SEM 2 voice

• I recently got an Expressive E Touché, i think im settled for a while.

• I’m dying to buy an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential. I’ve just started getting into making music on a Mac, and would love to one day own the Arturia V Collection 6. So, in the meantime, I could use the bundled Analog Lab 3 software until I can afford the full package.

• I have an op-1 coming on Monday that I'm really excited about. Thought about it for a good year and a half and finally decided to order one. I've been making a lot of my own instruments to quell the urge.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    I’m selling my novation controllers and trust less in novation apps. I will keep the essential for blocs/launchpad and focus in garageband.

I’m looking for a Novation 61 SL, if that happens to be one of the items you are selling.

Haven’t been lusting over much recently cause I’ve got my Moogs and a KIWI 106. However, if I come across a Nord Lead 3 at a good price, it’s going to be near impossible to resist. I love programming sounds, and the interface on that one is top notch. Plus it would sound sick with the heavy stuff I’m doing these days.

Nop. Launchkey 61mk2 ATM. Launchcontrol xl sold and keep with me launchcontrol simple and iTrack dock (now works again).

Yeah I’m actually interested in the Launchkey 61 now too. I’m in Virginia so depending on where you are might not make sense.

• @soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    I’m selling my novation controllers and trust less in novation apps. I will keep the essential for blocs/launchpad and focus in garageband.

I’m looking for a Novation 61 SL, if that happens to be one of the items you are selling.

Haven’t been lusting over much recently cause I’ve got my Moogs and a KIWI 106. However, if I come across a Nord Lead 3 at a good price, it’s going to be near impossible to resist. I love programming sounds, and the interface on that one is top notch. Plus it would sound sick with the heavy stuff I’m doing these days.

I use a Lead 3 with iOS and am really happy with the combo. The knob encoders are the best programming interface of any synth I’ve used. Super stable, bug free. The Lead architecture is great- the thing with having 4 slots to split or layer, or sequence separately. 24 voices, so it’s hard to run out. Very cool it can stack voices for huge unison sounds, and pads. Killer modulation options, with the two lfo's, and 4 "morph" groups.

It can be a challenging synth, sound wise though, just to warn you, Clavia even draws the distinction, calling it an advanced subtractive synth, rather than virtual analog. The basic sound is clean and precise, people that didn’t click with it call it cold. Those that kinda like it say it's just a pad machine. It took me a couple years to get into it, but really like it now, and people that hear it too. It sounds good in recordings, too, I often gravitate towards the sound a little more than ios synths, for its weight and solidarity. It can complement analog synths well, the two sounds are easy to tell apart. A big, warm, buzzy analog synth sounds great on its own, no doubt, but you bring in a couple more parts with big buzzy analogs and it starts to sound like shit.

Getting to know it better, there are some moves you can do to open up the character of the synth, to more grunginess, like there is the "classic" filter model, or the distorted lowpass filter. There is also an oscillator modulation option for distortion, or the oscillator modulating the filter. Also the random lfo, really fast, modulating things a little bit, can add a cartoonish amount of organicness/brokenness to the sound.

• Have a keystep and iPad Pro. Just got a Mother32 during Christmas. I'm thinking of getting a now price reduced Novation Monostation. But I'm really itching for a Kmix and one of these

• @Processaurus said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

I use a Lead 3 with iOS and am really happy with the combo. The knob encoders are the best programming interface of any synth I’ve used. Super stable, bug free. The Lead architecture is great- the thing with having 4 slots to split or layer, or sequence separately. 24 voices, so it’s hard to run out. Very cool it can stack voices for huge unison sounds, and pads. Killer modulation options, with the two lfo's, and 4 "morph" groups.

It can be a challenging synth, sound wise though, just to warn you, Clavia even draws the distinction, calling it an advanced subtractive synth, rather than virtual analog. The basic sound is clean and precise, people that didn’t click with it call it cold. Those that kinda like it say it's just a pad machine. It took me a couple years to get into it, but really like it now, and people that hear it too. It sounds good in recordings, too, I often gravitate towards the sound a little more than ios synths, for its weight and solidarity. It can complement analog synths well, the two sounds are easy to tell apart. A big, warm, buzzy analog synth sounds great on its own, no doubt, but you bring in a couple more parts with big buzzy analogs and it starts to sound like shit.

Getting to know it better, there are some moves you can do to open up the character of the synth, to more grunginess, like there is the "classic" filter model, or the distorted lowpass filter. There is also an oscillator modulation option for distortion, or the oscillator modulating the filter. Also the random lfo, really fast, modulating things a little bit, can add a cartoonish amount of organicness/brokenness to the sound.

Awesome. Yeah I think I would get along with it well. I’m actually not interested in the poly analog sound (already have that), so the “coldness” and unique architecture would be welcomed. You make it sound super fun which makes me sad I don’t have one! One question: does it sync to external midi clock for the arp and LFO? I’ve heard that the last update from Clavia broke this function and they never fixed it.

• edited February 2018

I can't decide between mother32, 0coast, Pittsburgh sv1 or behringer modelD
    Will need a keystep too

• edited February 2018

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Nop. Launchkey 61mk2 ATM. Launchcontrol xl sold and keep with me launchcontrol simple and iTrack dock (now works again).

Yeah I’m actually interested in the Launchkey 61 now too. I’m in Virginia so depending on where you are might not make sense.

I’m in Barcelona, Spain... sorry...

• edited February 2018

@Redo1 said:
    I can't decide between mother32, 0coast, Pittsburgh sv1 or behringer modelD
    Will need a keystep too

Fun set of choices though the modelD seems the odd one out (not being semi-modular). Have you seen the Radikal Technologies Delta Cep A? A few hundred more than the others but holy shit... the sound. And the paraphony.

There's also the new Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900. It actually has a couple of 'west coast' features that are really interesting. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/01/26/pittsburgh-modular-intros-microvolt-3900-synthesizer/

• @Processaurus said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

I can recommend the NL3 100% if you're into sound design. It's the only synth that I can make the sound I hear In my head become reality usually within 2 to 15 minutes. The 4 independent layers, the unbelievably intuitive modulation system, FM/RM, filters, LFOs reusable as single-shot envelopes etc. and best of all that it can both sound "cold and clear" or "fat, thick and powerful" without getting muddy. The only two areas I need other synths for are some exotic wavetables (see blofeld) and moogish leads (see Sub37 and MFB Synth II).

• Korg Kronos 61 for serious control.
    M-Audio keystation 49 for laying down ideas when chilling around the living room/kitchen.
    Casio 88 key digital piano when i'm about to rock the Ravenscroft or Module's Ivory pianos.

• @soundshaper said:

@Processaurus said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Awesome. Yeah I think I would get along with it well. I’m actually not interested in the poly analog sound (already have that), so the “coldness” and unique architecture would be welcomed. You make it sound super fun which makes me sad I don’t have one! One question: does it sync to external midi clock for the arp and LFO? I’ve heard that the last update from Clavia broke this function and they never fixed it.

It slaves great to midi clock, that’s how I use it. It has a “master clock” which is what you use to synchronize arps and lfo’s between layers, and the master clock, in turn, can sync to midi. It even uses song position pointer, so you can use it with a daw, and start in the middle of a song, and the arps and lfo’s will be at the right place in the measure. I have whatever the final firmware is. Not broken.

@rs2000 that’s cool you got yours figured out!

• @Processaurus said:

@soundshaper said:

@Processaurus said:

@soundshaper said:

@Dubbylabby said:

It slaves great to midi clock, that’s how I use it. It has a “master clock” which is what you use to synchronize arps and lfo’s between layers, and the master clock, in turn, can sync to midi. It even uses song position pointer, so you can use it with a daw, and start in the middle of a song, and the arps and lfo’s will be at the right place in the measure. I have whatever the final firmware is. Not broken.

@rs2000 that’s cool you got yours figured out!

Awesome. Ok well when you have a moment can you check the FW version on yours anyway? I’d like to know while I’m shopping for one. Thanks!

• I’m going to get either a Roli Block or a Sensel Morph in the next month, just can’t decide between them at the moment!

• Sold Alesis Micron, Korg Delta, Polysix, Prophecy, Z1, Roland Juno, Waldorf Micro Q Keys and two heavy Tannoy monitors. Reason? It took up half the space of my (little) apartment!

Bought some saxophones, Minibrute, Streichfett, 2-Pole, KeyStep and lots of iOS synths.

Will buy new iPad, Numa Compact 2 or 2X (the latter does have the Sledge c.q. Blofeld engine according to the website of Studiologic), little monitors (I'm using en AKG headphone since I sold my Tannoy monitors). Minibrute 2S, Rocket, some Eurorack stuff, and probably either a new audio interface (UMC 1810) or a mixer (XR 18 Air).

• Those new pocket operators look sick!

• Here's my current list:

a 12u modular synth
    Lyra 8
    NS Design electric cello

That's about $10-12K worth of stuff. Modular is expensive.

• @SlowMotion said:

I'd love an OP-1 or something similar though. Just something relatively simple and closed off for standalone music making.

Like..an ipad?

• Love the Minilogue, I've made hundreds of sounds on that lil thing. So obviously I got excited seeing a video with the Prologue and, they also used the "Analog For All" thing in that video which made me even more excited. But $2000 isn't exactly in the "Analog For All" range, I know they're targeting a different user group with Prologue but, "Analog for All" it ain't. Still want one though, beautiful instrument, user oscillators and user effects on the digital side is gonna be interesting I bet. I could sell stuff and get one I guess but...

Waldorf Quantum.
    Digitone.
    PO Tonic & Sampler.
    MicroMonsta.
    Waldorf Quantum.
    Analog Heat
    Waldorf Quantum
    That new toddler synth (I've never owned a synth with throttles)

• I really want a minibrute 2...
    I’ve been playing with pocket operator factory the past couple days
    I also want a drumbrute actually... it would give me an excuse to get lots of pedals and cool effects and such

• Now I add dfam to list after watching videos and hearing people's thoughts on it.

• @ion677 said:
    Those new pocket operators look sick!

Why did you show me that... was just going to buy the speak.. now I'm gonna have to buy them both lol

• First you start buying cheap instruments and toys because you can't afford the pro stuff.
    Then you earn your own money and you're happy to make some of the pro stuff your own, step by step. You learn how to use it, get excited about the possibilities and sooner or later you find that it's only up to you what you create with all that.
    Then you get to a point where even the silliest gadget is welcome if it sparks your creativity, just to make something new happen ... right?