Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Home Studio Setups

Comments

• edited November 2017

Downsized to a single 6' desk, kept some vintage synths and effects; left iPad 1 does Midi management, right Pro is everything else, two 18i20's and two MidiTaps tie them all together.

• We just moved to a new little townhouse in about the worst neighborhood I’ve ever lived. But it’s ours and I have a man den with a small studio in a closet now.

• @robertreynolds said:

We just moved to a new little townhouse in about the worst neighborhood I’ve ever lived. But it’s ours and I have a man den with a small studio in a closet now.

Ahhhh, 2 Roli Lightpad Blocks, cool. Are they 1st generation or Lightpad Block M?

• One is first gen, the other is an M. Playability is very different on each. The first gen is much firmer, while the M is a very soft gel will a bumpy surface. Either would work fine for most people but I prefer the first gen for drums and using as a control surface, and the M for general melodic playing.

They have become a big part of my setup. I’ve mapped them to both Equator in Ableton, but also play them a lot in Noise on iOS and route that into Ableton.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @supanorton Just been out in the sun reading Ford's slim memoir of his parents ('Between Them') which is probably too slim but very redolent of life in Jackson, MS in the forties and fifties and where it is easy to imagine a man whispering to his sweetheart about desk drawers is full of Hohner Special 20 harps...

I tried whispering into my sweetheart’s ear about how air tight my special 20s are while observing her facial expression going vacant.

• I live in a 55 & over adult community where it was hard to justify subjecting my neighbors to what I had to offer them with a music studio in my house. I put together a 6”X 8” sound isolation booth in my garage and insulated my garage door. So far, nobody has complained.

• @Philh0954 There's something wonderful and Boffin-ish about these snaps until you see the air hose and the true booth of it all. Jealous and afraid all at once...

• @Philh0954: That is just plain awesome.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Philh0954 There's something wonderful and Boffin-ish about these snaps until you see the air hose and the true booth of it all. Jealous and afraid all at once...

@kgmessier said:
    @Philh0954: That is just plain awesome.

Thanks! Scared a few neighbors, too! I had to put in a portable A/C unit since it got close to 100 degrees in my garage in the summer.

• @Philh0954 That is truly amazing. I imagine a neighbor would have asked, “What are you building in there? A time machine?”

• edited November 2017

What do you pump through that hose? The reefer?

• @Philh0954 said:
    I live in a 55 & over adult community where it was hard to justify subjecting my neighbors to what I had to offer them with a music studio in my house. I put together a 6”X 8” sound isolation booth in my garage and insulated my garage door. So far, nobody has complained.

such an awesome booth, looks PRO! did you ever share any details, instructions or how-tos about it? IMO that would be a valuable write-up or video story!

• Wow! Yes. I'd love to hear how you decided on dimensions, materials, ventilation, etc.

• @robertreynolds said:
    One is first gen, the other is an M. Playability is very different on each. The first gen is much firmer, while the M is a very soft gel will a bumpy surface. Either would work fine for most people but I prefer the first gen for drums and using as a control surface, and the M for general melodic playing.

They have become a big part of my setup. I’ve mapped them to both Equator in Ableton, but also play them a lot in Noise on iOS and route that into Ableton.

I got the same combination. One 1st generation and one M.
    Could you take a look at my thread?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22836/setting-up-2-roli-lightpad-blocks#latest
    When I attach them, trying to run them both in 5x5 melodic mode, they don't fit together as I expected it. My guess is, this problem occurs when using 2 different generations.
    Do you have the same phenomenon?

• @ipadthai said:

Everyone knows that stuff causes MADNESSSS!!!

• Heres my current setup i updated with virus c last weekend:

https://i.imgur.com/gW6fVYz.jpg

cs6x will go and be replaced with a pad controller(most likely circuit, cuz 32 pads, scale mode scale and fits next to ipad perfectly), will also need an interface with more inputs for virus.

• edited November 2017

I always find the most interesting parts of these 'set-up' photos are the random, non-musical, everyday nick-nacks that people have lying about in the space.

• @Philh0954 said:
    I live in a 55 & over adult community where it was hard to justify subjecting my neighbors to what I had to offer them with a music studio in my house. I put together a 6”X 8” sound isolation booth in my garage and insulated my garage door. So far, nobody has complained.

@Philh0954 dude, PLEASE send me (or us) the details of what you used to create that masterpiece! I need to do the exact same thing in my garage, seriously! That is the coolest space I think I’ve ever seen. What is that, a tornado shelter? An iron lung?

• @dwarman Tremendous routing & use of your equipment. I love how cool that set looks but more importantly how flexible you’ve made it.

@robertreynolds Not the size of the studio that matters brother. Actually I dig cozy setups like yours, making use of the closet was genius.

@Philh0954 Wow. What an undertaking and it came out great. If you’re neighbors can’t hear it, mission accomplished. I know for me it’s just not cool trying to record late at night when worried that at any second the neighbor is going to pound on the wall/door, etc.

The radiator & A/C piped in makes that a bonafide studio man, that is not just a sound booth. Very cool...

• @JRSIV said:
    The radiator & A/C piped in makes that a bonafide studio man, that is not just a sound booth. Very cool...

I dunno. Must be my overactive little mind, but there's something about it, or the idea of, you know, late at night, sitting with my back to the door, everything apparently silent, that calls this geography to mind...

• @TozBourne said:
    @Philh0954 That is truly amazing. I imagine a neighbor would have asked, “What are you building in there? A time machine?”

Thanks! It did make for some interesting conversation.

@ilya said:

@Philh0954 said:

such an awesome booth, looks PRO! did you ever share any details, instructions or how-tos about it? IMO that would be a valuable write-up or video story!

@noisefan said:
    Wow! Yes. I'd love to hear how you decided on dimensions, materials, ventilation, etc.

I can't really take too much credit for building it. It was delivered to my house on a large pallet with precut and predrilled pieces. All I I did was put it together. It was all prefab from a company called whisperroom. Pretty pricey but everything fit together nicely. All I did after that was run the electricity through the pre-existing holes, hook up the ventilation system and put my stuff inside. I still don’t have a great handle on the acoustics inside. All that aurelex looks great but I’m still working on the sound.

@ipadthai said:

Just cool air, although if I could figure out a way...

• encenc
    edited November 2017

Studio A ... (my favourite armchair)

Studio B (spare bedroom)

• edited November 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

I dunno. Must be my overactive little mind, but there's something about it, or the idea of, you know, late at night, sitting with my back to the door, everything apparently silent, that calls this geography to mind...

LOL...You just gave @Philh0954 nightmares for the next few nights with that. Nah, I get it, sitting in this little room, a bit claustrophobic, but the layout looks really big considering how small the Whisper Room is.

Is the garage is really big @Philh0954? You said you had to treat the door too, trying to knock back the leakage...

• @JRSIV said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:

LOL...You just gave @Philh0954 nightmares for the next few nights with that. Nah, I get it, sitting in this little room, a bit claustrophobic, but the layout looks really big considering how small the Whisper Room is.

Is the garage is really big @Philh0954? You said you had to treat the door too, trying to knock back the leakage...

It’s a two car garage so I still have enough room to fit a car in. The room is small but not that small. 6” X 8” with the ceiling at 6” 11”. I think the windows help to make it feel bigger than it is. There have been times when I’ve had 2 other people in the room with me.
    The room is certainly not totally sound proof which is one of the reasons I also put insulation on the garage door. I wanted to keep the sound in and keep outside sound out. It actually made a huge difference since it was a double wide aluminum door. It was either that or double up on the walls of the whisper room which would have been a lot more money and would have cut down on the square footage of the room.The other reason for the insulation is that it keeps it a bit warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It’s really working out well.

• Wow @Philh0954 , really cool, seriously man you have a great space to work in & it totally gives me some ideas.

• The ROLI Blocks part of my mobile setup had grown a bit recently,

• @Heiliger_Bimbam said:
    Here we go. NI Maschine Micro mkII, NI Kontrol S49, iPad pro and an Macbook Pro. That's it.

You have Reaktor opened on Your Ipad PRO? :o :o :o

• @MAtrixplan said:

@Heiliger_Bimbam said:
    Here we go. NI Maschine Micro mkII, NI Kontrol S49, iPad pro and an Macbook Pro. That's it.

You have Reaktor opened on Your Ipad PRO? :o :o :o

Used as an external monitor, I'm guessing.

• Recently, I moved 100% to iOS for sonic exploration, production, song writing, and even mastering (much laziness and increasing quality of AI, all mastering is done on LANDR).

Setup is simple:
    iPad Pro 10.5 (256GB), pencil and 2TB wifi storage
    Lightning to USB 3 + Small powered USB hub
    iRig Pro Duo (quality of this is questionable, impulse buy due to size and broken apogee one)
    AT2020, SM57, RODE NT1A
    MINILAB controller (like the 16 knobs and ribbon controllers)
    ATH-M40x and M20x
    Pedals, Instruments, Amps are all always away
    Lots of apps, love Moog Model 15, Audioshare, Audiobus, Bias, Garageband.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a DAW. With AU in GB, with Audiobus. I am finding it hard to justify a big purchase on Cubasis (Canada app store pricing is slightly high sometimes, when comparing apps to features). I do however miss the Ableton flexibility with samples, midi routing etc...

What should my next buy be? Cubasis on its own?
    Or should I grab AUM and BM3?

Love all the setups I have seen on here.